News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-13, 12:22 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Where are these Unsigned Second-Round Picks?

Unsigned Second-Round Picks: Marcus Denmon, Ryan Richards, Sergie Karaulov, Robertas Javtokas, Vikto Sanikidze, Erazem Lorbek, Davis Bertrans, Adam Hanga

Do you think any of these guys will come over and play? Besides the recent talk of Adam Hanga not coming over is there any chance one of these others can come over and are they any good players/fits for the Spurs?

Just striking up conversation and wanting your opinions. Thanks and have a great week and God Bless.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-24-13, 01:10 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

if i remeber correctly, javtokas crashed in a motorcycle and never reach his potential...

and the others... ju8t didnt know!
Old 06-24-13, 01:26 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanCaca View Post
if i remeber correctly, javtokas crashed in a motorcycle and never reach his potential...

and the others... ju8t didnt know!
Javtokas actually had a pretty good career post surgery. He just couldn't dunk on 12 foot baskets anymore. Spurs came close to bringing him over in 2006 or somewhere along that time. But the Spurs low balled him and he decided to remain overseas even though the Spurs paid for his surgery.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-24-13, 01:33 PM
SpursReport Rookie

None of those guys besides Hanga is good enough to play in the NBA. if your averaging less than 10 points and 5 boards in Europe,your not going to cut it in the NBA.

Splitter is a perfect Example.The guy was the Spanish league MVP at the age of 23. He was an absolute monster in Europe. Yet he is just an average NBA player.
Old 06-24-13, 01:41 PM
SpursReport Team Member

thanks...no more stash away players. Let's take our chances on Kawhi type players at whatever position but someone who can play now.
Old 06-24-13, 01:50 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
None of those guys besides Hanga is good enough to play in the NBA. if your averaging less than 10 points and 5 boards in Europe,your not going to cut it in the NBA.

Splitter is a perfect Example.The guy was the Spanish league MVP at the age of 23. He was an absolute monster in Europe. Yet he is just an average NBA player.
That's a good way to sum it up. Bertrans may play in the NBA someday with his height, effort and shooting but he has an extremely long ways to go to be NBA ready. He has no upper body strength or defensive skills as yet.
Old 06-24-13, 01:50 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDAMAGE View Post
thanks...no more stash away players. Let's take our chances on Kawhi type players at whatever position but someone who can play now.
For second round picks I agree with taking players over in Europe. Most second roundpicks are busts anyway. There is more hidden talent overseas than in America. I think Spurs are just hoping one of those Europe players will turn into the next Ginobili. I do believe they struck gold with Hanga.
Old 06-24-13, 01:53 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Last interview I recall of javtokas was in a locker room with him havind a cigarette hanging out of his mouth.
Old 06-24-13, 02:09 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I guess I don't understand how we get the Hanga's over here to play. What keeps them from coming over? Do the Spurs not offer enough money?
Old 06-24-13, 02:19 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
I guess I don't understand how we get the Hanga's over here to play. What keeps them from coming over? Do the Spurs not offer enough money?
The problem is the nba rookie rules. I believe rookies max is 3 mil. So if hanga can make 6 million in Europe it would be hard for spurs to convince him to come over. hanga will come over to the states if he believes he can potentially be an all star and eventually make 10 to 15 million.

Edit - the first three years for rookies is very low, so hanga will lose possibly about 11 million for the first 3 years in San antonio

Last edited by scarlet; 06-24-13 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-24-13, 02:36 PM
SpursReport Team Member

thanks for the explanation. That stinks..
Old 06-24-13, 08:30 PM
SpursReport Rookie

The Spurs actually save Money by having these picks develop overseas with playing time and still retain their rights. Even Still the Spurs really do not lose anything by investing a pick since they were 2nd round picks.

The Picks actually make more money with the foreign clubs than the D-league.
Old 06-24-13, 08:33 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

and their rights are still tradeable... just hope FO at least use some of them to sweeten deals
Old 06-24-13, 08:52 PM
SR Team Goof

Regarding Erazem Lorbek, as I understand it, last summer the Spurs were in negotiations with Lorbek to bring him over but the 6'10" Slovenian center decided to resign with his Barcelona Regal team for a 2-3 year contract. I believe he was 28 at the time, so if he plays thru his present contract he'd be beyond any worth to the Spurs. Scratch him.
Old 06-24-13, 10:24 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Davis Bertans is the guy with the most potential to be a Ginobili type of 2nd round steal. He is young, and needs to mature and fill out for sure. However, he grew rapidly in his late teen years. He started out playing guard, but now is potentially a small forward/ stretch power forward. He has great range on his stroke, and has been likened to having a potential Nowitski type skill set. Unfortunately, he tore his acl a few weeks ago. That will cost him, and the S;urs, at least a year in development.
Old 06-24-13, 11:37 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
Last interview I recall of javtokas was in a locker room with him havind a cigarette hanging out of his mouth.
that's very common over there
Old 06-25-13, 01:35 AM
SpursReport Rookie

If I'm not mistaken, Marcus Denmon is an assistant coach at some collage.
Old 06-25-13, 02:32 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Ryan Richards: English guy playing a very weak league(Austria!) in Europe. Still 22 but don't expect too much.

Robertas Javtokas: It's a little late for him, he's 33 years old. Don't expect him coming to NBA

Erazem Lorbek: A phenomen in European basketball and earning too much money. As popular as Splitter in Spain. We can not overbid Barcelona to bring him and he has no intention too.

Davis Bertrans: Injured recently in ACL and will miss nearly 6 months. If he was fine, he would attend to summer league, but he won't.

Adam Hanga: A gem or a bust? We should wait one more year. He played in the worst team of Spanish league this year.
Old 06-25-13, 09:28 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I've heard some speculation that if Ryan Richards plays well in summer league, we'll sign him and stash him next year on the Toros. His problem is that his attitude sucks when he's not getting playing time, which he hasn't the last couple of seasons.

We'll look at Davis Bertans next summer once he has recovered from his ACL injury.
Old 06-25-13, 09:50 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I believe our days of draft and stash are done we were just very lucky with MANU. The rest of these guys are just not worth the trouble. I agree draft local college only the next few years. and see how that goes.
Old 06-25-13, 10:37 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
YEP!
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.