News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-13, 01:49 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Could Duncan and Garnett Team Up to go after ring together?

RE: I wouldn't mind seeing that happen after reading this...

Contrary to previous reports, according to league and team sources, the Celtics have been complicit all along in assisting Rivers make the switch from Boston to Los Angeles. Although Danny Ainge, the Celtics' director of basketball operations, was initially irked that Rivers was lukewarm about returning to Boston, where a rebuilding process will soon be underway, team sources said he recognized the best way to accumulate first-round draft picks, which he covets, would be to relinquish his two most valued assets -- Rivers and Kevin Garnett. Since then, he and Rivers have been working side by side to secure a deal that is best for both parties, sources said.

Marc Stein: ESPN source says NBA does NOT intend to budge from Stern's stance & would see subsequent KG-to- Clips deal as connected & thus in violation Twitter @ESPNSteinLine

Los Angeles Clippers agree in principle to Doc Rivers deal -- sources - ESPN Boston
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-24-13, 01:56 AM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

I would LOVE to see KG play in San Antonio!

IT IS ON BABY!!!!SPURS PO TO DIE FOR!
PHENOMENAL TOTAL CONTROLL WITH SPURS BASKETBALL!
LETS DO IT BABY! NO BS!! NO MERCY! ONE GAME AT A TIME. ONE SERIES AT A TIME.
WE WILL CLOSE THEM ALL!!!
FIRST ROUND VICTIMS = DOS MAVS!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-24-13, 06:01 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I seem to remember something about Duncan and Garnett not liking each other. That said, what would people think about getting Paul pierce? I just read a rumor that Cleveland is trying to get him for 2 2nd round picks.
Old 06-24-13, 09:11 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

I hear what you guys are saying....

But with one of the last years in TD playing dont you think using our 20 million in cap room could be better served then getting KG?
Brooklyn's #1 Spurs fan!!!
Old 06-24-13, 10:02 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I think a big like KG at $10M would be better than say splitter at that amount. I'd like to throw $15M at Dwight and offer him a chance to win a championship

- Confucius
Old 06-24-13, 01:12 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I would like to throw you under the bus for even suggesting we make a run for Howard.
Old 06-24-13, 01:27 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurduncan21 View Post
I think a big like KG at $10M would be better than say splitter at that amount. I'd like to throw $15M at Dwight and offer him a chance to win a championship
KG already has a contract and its for more than 10 million per. D12 will get 20 million plus per year also.
Old 06-24-13, 02:17 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Garnet's contract is only 12.5 million. Depending on what we do with our free agents, that is very doable.
Old 06-24-13, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasamohT View Post
I seem to remember something about Duncan and Garnett not liking each other. That said, what would people think about getting Paul pierce? I just read a rumor that Cleveland is trying to get him for 2 2nd round picks.
I just don't see what getting Paul Pierce would do for us. Maybe we slide Leonard over to the two and have green come off the bench. But it doesn't seem like the best Use of Space since it would mean likely no splitter.

If we are going to let splitter walk, we are going to have to get a big man with that money.
Old 06-24-13, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan View Post
I would like to throw you under the bus for even suggesting we make a run for Howard.
He is a transcendent talent. We need something in that category if we are going to get past the heat and the thunder in the remaining year or years we have left with Duncan.

His attitude definitely gives me some concerns, but if you can get a guy like that, you do it.
Old 06-24-13, 03:05 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I was all for KG since those rumors last summer when he was spotted in SA right before inking his deal with Boston. He brings things we need at the center/pf position: a mean streak, chippiness, good hands, rebounding, and a decent midrange jumper. He averaged 15 and 8 last season, so he's still got something left in the tank. The big question is if the Spurs do decide to take this route, is Timmy is on board?
Old 06-24-13, 03:58 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I don't see KG ever being in a Spur uni. I could see Pierce over KG, but I think the dislike that Duncan has for him as well as him already being signed by the Celts, he won't want to make another move at this stage unless he is playing with who he knows (ie Rivers, Pierce). He already mentioned retiring after next year from the Celts. This could all change if Pierce is cut/traded, but who knows.
Old 06-24-13, 04:49 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Wow.
Since everyone is acting like players under contract are available, why not throw $5M at Durant? On top of the max contract he's getting from OKC, the MLE would fit!

Where is this $15M we're going to throw at Howard? You do realize that the CBA does actually apply to San Antonio, too, dontcha?
Old 06-24-13, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post
Wow.
Since everyone is acting like players under contract are available, why not throw $5M at Durant? On top of the max contract he's getting from OKC, the MLE would fit!

Where is this $15M we're going to throw at Howard? You do realize that the CBA does actually apply to San Antonio, too, dontcha?
KG is available. Celtics are going into rebuild mode.

Going after Howard would assume letting splitter walk, possibly Manu and Neal too, and not picking up our option on Bonner.
Old 06-24-13, 05:06 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Could Batman and The Joker team up to open a boutique interior decorating business?
Old 06-24-13, 05:42 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
Could Batman and The Joker team up to open a boutique interior decorating business?
I don't see this happening at all...

Old 06-24-13, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
Well played.
Old 06-24-13, 07:10 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
KG already has a contract and its for more than 10 million per. D12 will get 20 million plus per year also.
Kg is a little more than $12M. My point is KG in his advanced stage is more valuable than splitter and in no chance Splitter around 10M is equal to KG at this point. DH12 would have to take less than max to play here was my point and since he already mentioned spurs as possible suitors, there u go

- Confucius
Old 06-24-13, 07:18 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

im willing to pay 18m to howard next year and increasing for 2nd year...

in another hand... what about kobe, gasol, theres another aging superstar willing to try with our old core and useful for us?
The Spurs won because of Tim Duncan, a guy I could never break. I could talk trash to Patrick Ewing, get in David Robinsons face, get a rise out of Alonzo Mourning, but when I went at Tim hed look at me like he was bored and then say, Hey, Shaq, watch this shot right here off the glass. Shaquille O'Neal on Tim duncan.
Old 06-24-13, 07:54 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I would rather have Gasol than Howard.
Old 06-24-13, 09:38 PM

Wow. I'd take Howard over Gasol anyday. Gasol's game is too much like Duncan's-- we need athleticism and shotblocking help and a guy who can attack the rim, not a finesse player.
Old 06-24-13, 11:35 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurduncan21 View Post
Kg is a little more than $12M. My point is KG in his advanced stage is more valuable than splitter and in no chance Splitter around 10M is equal to KG at this point. DH12 would have to take less than max to play here was my point and since he already mentioned spurs as possible suitors, there u go
I don't want Splitter for 10 million per though. So if those are my choices...... than KG is a better value at 12 million per. D12 less than max in a Miami type of move but all the way down to 15 million? Not happening.
Old 06-25-13, 01:37 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
I don't want Splitter for 10 million per though. So if those are my choices...... than KG is a better value at 12 million per. D12 less than max in a Miami type of move but all the way down to 15 million? Not happening.
+1. Splitter is best served as a backup. I think there are more serviceable big men out there that offer more than what Splitter can bring - bigger hands and toughness.
Old 06-25-13, 02:29 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Let's make it happen!

Duncan and Garnet would be HUGE for the NBA and they would certainly sink the HEA...errr HATE!
Old 06-25-13, 03:59 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan View Post
Old 06-25-13, 08:33 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpur View Post
Let's make it happen!

Duncan and Garnet would be HUGE for the NBA and they would certainly sink the HEA...errr HATE!
I agree. I think Timmy would sign off if it was down to his opinion. Garnett doesn't need to play 30+mins. Pop would certainly treat him like Tim and play him 25-32 mpg

- Confucius
Old 06-25-13, 09:30 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

As Spurd so effectively put it..... Not going to be about the money, no way TD signs off on KG.

Also talk about replicating what we have game wise, as they get older their games get more twinsies and the only difference is TD is not a tool that mouths off too much.
Old 06-25-13, 11:23 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Sign and trade Splitter for top 10 pick (from Portland) and get Garnet to win now.
Old 06-25-13, 04:54 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
KG is available. Celtics are going into rebuild mode.

Going after Howard would assume letting splitter walk, possibly Manu and Neal too, and not picking up our option on Bonner.
Love Manu, but that isn't sounding so bad. 3 very inconsistent players and a legend well past his prime... Outside of Manu, I won't miss much.
Old 06-25-13, 05:01 PM

I hear you on where my new is in terms of his level of play, but think about the attitude change this team would have if you swapped out Manu, Bonner, and Gary Neal for Dwight Howard. Three pros who don't complain, two of whom are straight up assassins with ice water in their veins, for a known chucklehead.

Not saying I wouldn't take Howard. He is an elite talent and you need talent to beat talent. But you have to keep in mind what makes this franchise run, and that is guys who are over themselves. Not true of Howard by any stretch.
Old 06-25-13, 05:07 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Yea I agree getting rid of Manu would be a locker room deflator. HAVE to sign him significantly cheaper... That's obvious though.
Old 06-25-13, 06:31 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyDthaWay2B View Post
Love Manu, but that isn't sounding so bad. 3 very inconsistent players and a legend well past his prime... Outside of Manu, I won't miss much.
There's no way in hell Manu walks. Get it out of your head immediately

- Confucius
Old 06-25-13, 09:20 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasamohT View Post
"Not liking each other" is quite the understatement. Tim HATES Kevin. On Mother's Day 1999, Garnett trash-talked Tim's dead mother, who died of breast cancer the day before Tim's 14th birthday. They will NEVER be teammates.
Old 06-26-13, 07:39 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

The Nets have done what likely every team in the NBA has done this week: Put in a call to the Celtics about the availability of Kevin Garnett. A league source confirmed the Nets have inquired about whether Garnett would be available in a trade in the wake of the Celtics losing coach Doc Rivers to the Clippers and seemingly heading for a full-on roster rebuild and potentially the end of the Big Three Era in Beantown.

Tim Hardaway Jr. could be available for the Brooklyn Nets with the No. 22 pick in the NBA Draft - NYPOST.com