News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-13, 03:45 PM
SpursReport Rookie

What did we learn from these 2013 playoffs?

Definitely a heartbreaking post-season, like many Spurs fans, I expected nothing less than a championship. I thought that matching up with the Heat was in our favor since their interior was so weak and we would be able to exploit it. What I didn't anticipate was that our perimeter play would be so weak, mainly because Manu didn't take any pressure off Tony as a second penetrator and creator, and the Heat would exploit this. This loss will sting for a bit seeing how we came so close, but if this team has the will to bounce back next season, they may need to do a few things this offseason. Here are a few things I have learned this postseason:
  1. Manu is done.
    I never wanted to imagine the day that this would come, but I really believe that it has arrived. Manu is done. I've never seen him so unsure and ineffective for this many stretches of games. Him using phrases like "I'm insecure on the court" and "I have no clue how I can come back after that loss" are indicators that he's not coming back. Good thing he's at the end of his career rather than earlier or else we might have a Nick Anderson effect. If Manu can accept the role of a regular bench player, he can still contribute in some manner.
  2. A Tony Parker led team cannot win it all . . . without adding more talent around him.
    If Tony Parker is your best player, you are in trouble. Unless you add pieces that will take pressure off him since Manu is done. Adding players that can penetrate, create their own shot, or can be a post presence will make a world of difference on Tony Parker's game and for the Spurs system.
  3. Not having an impact big man to help Tim is hurting the team.
    I feel that the Spurs FO has done an injustice to Timmy and have not done their due diligence to provide Timmy with that complimentary and competent piece inside. If the Spurs had an athletic big man that could rebound and block shots, the Spurs would have beat the Heat handily. Unfortunately we have gator arms/smallest hands in the NBA Tiago. He was on the rise during the regular season, but when the pressure mounted and the speed of the NBA game in the POs came, he just showed us how slow he really is.
  4. Kawhi is a beast and everyone outside the "medium 3" is tradable.
    I love Kawhi. Fearless, professional, and mature beyond his years, this kid has a really high ceiling. I can't really say this about anyone else on the roster (maybe Diaw). Danny Green is your typical role player, Gary Neal is Gary Neal, and the rest of our bench are scrubs essentially. Pop deserves a lot of credit because if you really look at our team, we aren't as deep as people think. I hope we can package something with the expiring contracts of Neal and Splitter.

So there are two glaring weakness on this team. Penetrators/creators and a solid big man. Assuming that Timmy comes back, if we solve this puzzle, we are right back in it. It would help if players played with an edge and some chippiness too. The Spurs are just too nice. Some guys that come off the top of the head: Aaron Brooks, Martin Gortat, Chris Kaman, and Luis Scola.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-21-13, 04:01 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Well Said/Put!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-21-13, 05:08 PM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Great Post TRUTH but I bolded my answers to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUTH View Post
  1. Manu is done.
    I never wanted to imagine the day that this would come, but I really believe that it has arrived. Manu is done. I've never seen him so unsure and ineffective for this many stretches of games. Him using phrases like "I'm insecure on the court" and "I have no clue how I can come back after that loss" are indicators that he's not coming back. Good thing he's at the end of his career rather than earlier or else we might have a Nick Anderson effect. If Manu can accept the role of a regular bench player, he can still contribute in some manner.
    Manu was being challenged with Pop preserving him all year for this important PO. Not as easy as Pop thinks to bring him in the fire while he is trying to get over several injuries and getting in condition to a FULL PRESSURE game. Don't forget Manu was the one who saved us in the GSW series!!! That was huge!!! And Manu played his Arse off defensively in the entire PO however on offense he was struggling but due that to his body not responding as fast as he wanted to..

I would say Manu was not the Manu we all know. And I would always love and respect Manu, however if he is struggling as much as he did, someone else needs to take over. There is no telling what he can feel next year and if his body remains deteriorating despite the rest, so he most likely will find himself taking less money and play less role from now on. Timmy already had taken a lot less money and played as much role as he can, although TD ended up doing a whole lot after he conditioned his body the last off season. I hope Manu does that in this off season....So I would bring Manu back for sure however with some amount that Spurs can afford with less role because of lot of increased risk for injuries, so the FO can keep some money for younger more athletic role players that can help the team better than who we have now.

2. A Tony Parker led team cannot win it all . . . without adding more talent around him.
    If Tony Parker is your best player, you are in trouble. Unless you add pieces that will take pressure off him since Manu is done. Adding players that can penetrate, create their own shot, or can be a post presence will make a world of difference on Tony Parker's game and for the Spurs system.

Tony was the Man all season long. However the Back up is a Glaring issue in Pop's system. Why Pop keeps playing those guys Joseph, Nando, or Mills if he is not going to bring any in the PO. This makes it so difficult on TP. I would think experience and rookies etc.... But Pop needs to build a Back Up PG in the regular season and keep him in the PO. TP was the MVP and in PO too. However when TP got slowed by the Hammy, we saw how Spurs won only a miracle game 5 and they were pretty much done. The FO need to bring a talented SECOND SCORER that can spell Tony from leading the scoring if not the PG since the PG is very tough to follow TP in game since Pop's system. I think that FO need to bring another SG or SF or even PF.

3. Not having an impact big man to help Tim is hurting the team.
    I feel that the Spurs FO has done an injustice to Timmy and have not done their due diligence to provide Timmy with that complimentary and competent piece inside. If the Spurs had an athletic big man that could rebound and block shots, the Spurs would have beat the Heat handily. Unfortunately we have gator arms/smallest hands in the NBA Tiago. He was on the rise during the regular season, but when the pressure mounted and the speed of the NBA game in the POs came, he just showed us how slow he really is.
    Tim Def needs to have another Big to help him. I agree 100%. I would however bring Tiago back for sure for the right price because he knows Pop's system and it is very hard to find a BIG that can fit in Pop's system and be solid in the PO too. Maybe since Spurs have more cap they might have more freedom to find the right piece I hope!

4. Kawhi is a beast and everyone outside the "medium 3" is tradable.
    I love Kawhi. Fearless, professional, and mature beyond his years, this kid has a really high ceiling. I can't really say this about anyone else on the roster (maybe Diaw). Danny Green is your typical role player, Gary Neal is Gary Neal, and the rest of our bench are scrubs essentially. Pop deserves a lot of credit because if you really look at our team, we aren't as deep as people think. I hope we can package something with the expiring contracts of Neal and Splitter.

Kawhi is a SUPER STAR in the making! LOVE this kid and so happy we got him. He will get to the ALL STAR GAME in the next few years if not next year if he continues to rise up as he is!!! We need a back up for him now. I can't put no one in the conversation although I love Green and Diaw and Neal. Kawhi is becoming one of the Big Four now so we maybe have the Magnificent Four.

So there are two glaring weakness on this team. Penetrators/creators and a solid big man. Assuming that Timmy comes back, if we solve this puzzle, we are right back in it. It would help if players played with an edge and some chippiness too. The Spurs are just too nice. Some guys that come off the top of the head: Aaron Brooks, Martin Gortat, Chris Kaman, and Luis Scola.

I think we need an ENFORCER ala Cap'n Jack before he was let go from here. Someone who is proves a PO Vet and Tougher than nail as Cap'n Jack was
Old 06-21-13, 05:32 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurscrazed View Post
+1
Old 06-22-13, 09:11 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurscrazed View Post
+2

Help can be only one puzzle piece away!
Old 06-22-13, 10:09 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Way to bring it Truth. Great to have you here posting what many just don't want to hear.
Old 06-22-13, 11:29 AM
SR 2013 Pick the Winner Champ & Rookie of the Year

I think we got lucky with not having to play the thunder at full strength. It would have been almost like having to play a different version of the heat first except with more defensive and rebounding bigs. Imagine how much energy we would have had to expel in that series which would have probably gone 6-7 and then we would have then had to go against the heat. Although it will also be more difficult for the heat next year with having to go up against a hopefully healthy bulls team. Bottom line, we again need to get even younger, more athletic and bigger in the offseason. That said I think If we can get two of those three areas I think we stand a good chance of getting back to the finals. No one in the west as is can beat the spurs other than maybe OKC so its just a matter of how much energy we will have by the time we theoretically get back to the finals and i think we saw how much home court meant when it really mattered.
Old 06-22-13, 11:39 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Pop didn't use Cory Joseph to spell Parker and Manu for that 10 minutes per game in the Finals as he did in the earlier rounds. I wish he would have.
Old 06-22-13, 11:40 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

THAT DUNCAN STILL NEEDS LOW POST HELP! And Parker could use some too!
Old 06-22-13, 08:09 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Thanks for the love everybody. I am just speaking out of frustration and calling it like I see it. Seeing Tim beating himself over that last missed layup to tie the game really kills me. I know it's one he will never shake off and I want him to get the redemption he deserves - one more crack at a championship. Guarantee he will smash it on Battier's damn face if he gets another chance.

I think our main priority is getting a player that can spell Tony and run the Spurs offense without missing a beat. That's why I suggested Aaron Brooks. What about Bledsoe from the Clips? Strong and quick PG that can get to the foul line.

Our second priority is getting a quality starting big that can play solid weak side D above the rim. Names that I've heard thrown around are Asik, Gortat, Scola, Camby, and Kamen. I like these ideas because it makes sense financially because it will still give us room to add another impact piece. What about Andrew Bogut? When healthy he can provide shot blocking, dunks, passing, and a high basketball IQ.
Old 06-22-13, 08:28 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

sorry guys but in my view as second need behind playmaker to preserve parker, we need athetic mobile pf, around 6'9, 6'10 more than center... this playoffs if teams gone big against spurs they didnt end too good...with rejuvenated tim and better tiago and diaw it appears was enough... ask lakers and Memphis... but enter miami with their small ball and diaw and splitter are too slow and duncan is the only threat so he is needed at c... thats why i think a atlethic fraeak long sf or faster pf is needed...

Last edited by JuanCaca; 06-22-13 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-22-13, 08:54 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpur View Post
Way to bring it Truth. Great to have you here posting what many just don't want to hear.

Old 06-22-13, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Great Article!

Posted it on MVPTexas.com

Old 06-22-13, 09:45 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Awesome! Thanks Dulce!
Old 06-22-13, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Awesome! Thanks Dulce!
Thank you!
Old 06-23-13, 12:20 AM
SpursReport Team Member

It has been a while since I have posted but the pain of losing game #6 brought me back so I could be with my fellow fans to read these posts and sort through the agony of losing this championship. I hope for but don't expect RC to pull a rabbit out of the hat but I do trust he will do what he can to help Timmy get #5. So close and yet so far.
Old 06-25-13, 10:33 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

--> lebron is king.
Old 06-25-13, 01:30 PM
SpursReport Rookie

We learned that if Splitter was resigned, he ABSOLUTELY MUST go to Hakeem Olajuwon's big man camp.

He is too tall to keep tripping over his feet everytime he has to post up. If Tim's out for a breather, he has to step up w/ some kind of points and not flopping around like a fish out of a bowl.
Old 06-25-13, 05:03 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Its Amazing that this Spurs team made it to the Finals without a capable backup PG to play in the Finals(when 3 guys in uniform)

Its Amazing that after all these years we all are still screaming we need a mobil 4 to help TD...(and basically had to have Leonard do it)

Crazy that a team .28 seconds away from a championship still can improve alot and hopefully get #5 next year....
Brooklyn's #1 Spurs fan!!!
Old 06-25-13, 05:24 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

What did we learn from these 2013 playoffs? With all of their fallacies and faults, the Spurs were more than capable of beating the heat in this series but it JUST DIDN'T HAPPEN.
Old 06-25-13, 05:53 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

I don't think you can really say much of anything Negative. We learned where good enough to win. A missed free-throw away from an NBA championship. Two missed shots with chances to tie or take the lead in the final minute in a game seven on the road. Leonard is getting better. Parker was hurt. Duncan is still relevant. Monica can't play against long athletic Turnover causing teams, but then again he never really could. He can't be the primary option. Splitter is great against teams with size, but not against teams with length and athleticism so much. Cory Joseph is Almost there. He will be a solid backup next year with great defense and improved shooting.
Old 06-25-13, 06:28 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

spurs didnt have a capable backup pg? is that why we lost?
cause heat didnt have any pg ! lol. miami said F the PG spot down the stretch.
Old 06-25-13, 08:03 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:

Our second priority is getting a quality starting big that can play solid weak side D above the rim. Names that I've heard thrown around are Asik, Gortat, Scola, Camby, and Kamen. I like these ideas because it makes sense financially because it will still give us room to add another impact piece. What about Andrew Bogut? When healthy he can provide shot blocking, dunks, passing, and a high basketball IQ.
I was fine with the whole article, although I'd beg to ask which athletic big the Spurs didn't get to help Timmy. They had Splitter, and he made decent strides this year. But you blame the FO for not getting the help. Consider that maybe the help wasn't available for an acceptable price.

But you lost me with the quoted paragraph. Did you REALLY mention Scola as someone who could play solid weak side defense? The only defense he can play is matador. But he's pretty solid at that. And you even implied above the rim? Does he get a ladder?

Asik will be available if HOU can sign Howard. I doubt SA would be able to offer the best package, though.

Kamen is the only free agent. I would guess that the price for the others might also be higher than the Spurs would pay.
Old 06-26-13, 09:36 AM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Yeah, I agree that it would be good to have some better rim protection on the inside from an athletic big man. Splitter did a great job given his skill set this year. Let's not discount that. But Luis Scola is not going to give you anything better than splitter, in fact he would be a downgrade in most respects.

If we want to beat Miami, we have to get better and we need athleticism. We need another guard who can create his own shot. Erick Green Would not be a bad option and he has been linked to the Spurs.
Old 06-26-13, 09:43 AM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
....We need another guard who can create his own shot. Erick Green Would not be a bad option and he has been linked to the Spurs.
Aran Smith: Sources have indicated Spurs may have a promise with Erick Green at 28. #draftrumor Twitter @nbadraftnet
Old 06-27-13, 02:18 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post
But you lost me with the quoted paragraph. Did you REALLY mention Scola as someone who could play solid weak side defense? The only defense he can play is matador. But he's pretty solid at that. And you even implied above the rim? Does he get a ladder?

Asik will be available if HOU can sign Howard. I doubt SA would be able to offer the best package, though.

Kamen is the only free agent. I would guess that the price for the others might also be higher than the Spurs would pay.
Good catch on the Scola suggestion. LOL. I listed him because of his rebounding, craftiness around the rim, and high bball IQ. I definitely did not list him for his weak side D. I totally agree with you about his only hope to play above the rim would require a ladder.

Asik would really depend on what you mentioned - HOU landing Dwight. Absorbing Asik's contract would hurt though since it has a weird structure. He makes 5.2 in 2013/14 and then it jumps to 14.8 in 2014/15! I think we all take a pass on that.

Kaman is a free agent and his contract last year was for 8 mill. Seems to be in our price range. Dallas is also interested in landing Dwight. It will be interesting to see how things shake out.

My feeling is that the front office wants to remain as in tact as possible, but if they decide to address the concerns I talked about, I think the Spurs will be a much better team. We'll see what happens starting with tonight.
Old 06-27-13, 02:31 PM
SR Team Goof

Well, I learned not to fall back on past performances in championship series and that anything can happen. That we have a very good mix of veteran and young players who can perform beyond what critics say about them. And that the Spurs and the Heat players are human. That the Spurs fell victim to a stigma that has followed them for years – they don’t know how to maintain control of a lead and sometimes allow the opponent to get back into the game, and in some instances, triumph in the end. It happened last Thursday, it will happen again --- it’s history, let’s move on, have a nice restful summer and start preparing for another season with a championship as a final goal, again.