News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-13, 12:06 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Season Over. What FA or trade do you want?

One of the first free Agents I would look into is Andre Iguodala. He could start at SG and Backup SF as well. He is a great scorer and defender. He might cost quite a big but would be huge as another scoring option and lock down defender.

I am not sure who else is a free agent that would upgrade the team significantly. Maybe you guys have some thoughts
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-21-13, 12:11 AM
Herman Cain of the board

The guy just opted out of a huge deal and he would come here why? At least you had an idea so I give you that. Unlike the others on here who bash and offer zero solutions. So I respect that from you but Iggy here would be a longshot!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-21-13, 12:18 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Magic Johnson tonight said the Spurs could potentially be way under the salary cap when he was looking at the figures today. How much under could they get and still be competitive? It seems a lot of the guys disappeared in the finals like tiago. I understand that Diaw will most likely opt in.

Who else if off the book other then Stephen Jackson though?
Old 06-21-13, 12:30 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Manu, Jackson and Tiago are all the big FAs this year. That right there is about 30M.
Old 06-21-13, 12:31 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasamohT View Post
Manu, Jackson and Tiago are all the big FAs this year. That right there is about 30M.
well it doesn't work that way but it's more like 16 to 20 million depending on the Bonner situation. June 29 is the deadline for his contract.
Old 06-21-13, 12:37 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Give me Al Jefferson and J.R.Smith. Low post guy and a slasher, shooter.
Old 06-21-13, 12:37 AM
SpursReport Rookie

So assuming Ginobbli comes back at a lot less. We could possibly see a pretty big FA come in (assuming someone wants to come here) to help out. not a max guy but at least a 2nd tier type guy?

Maybe like a Mayo. Or add A JR Smith and Kamen type?
Old 06-21-13, 12:46 AM
The Master Baiter

I think we saw today that KY can be the second option to Tony, if not the main option. Tony needs to be able to work and not get the other team's best defender all the time, particularly Lebron. I think they still need Al Jefferson to spell Tim Duncan, and they need a good backup point guard.
Old 06-21-13, 12:47 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Well either way this is probably the year the Spurs will sign someone who along with Leonard will help be the future face of the franchise once the Duncan and Ginobbli are gone. It would give whoever it is a a year or two to get use to the system and the Spurs way of playing. Wouldn't you guys think?

Or you think they will wait till Both the two older players retire and use that money to sign a real big Fish?
Old 06-21-13, 12:56 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
I think we saw today that KY can be the second option to Tony, if not the main option. Tony needs to be able to work and not get the other team's best defender all the time, particularly Lebron. I think they still need Al Jefferson to spell Tim Duncan, and they need a good backup point guard.
Second option? Kawhi doesn't get plays called for him at his stage. Maybe down the road but needs to improve his handle. Great series for him though.
Old 06-21-13, 01:03 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Josh Smith would help tremendously, not sure what his asking price is though..
Old 06-21-13, 01:04 AM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
Second option? Kawhi doesn't get plays called for him at his stage. Maybe down the road but needs to improve his handle. Great series for him though.
They called his number the whole first half. He wasn't just scoring on fast breaks.
Old 06-21-13, 01:06 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
They called his number the whole first half. He wasn't just scoring on fast breaks.
If I recall correctly from Pop's mouth he said they don't call plays for Green or Kawhi ever. It seems like they do but only because of the offensive system.
Old 06-21-13, 01:08 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Josh Smith, Al Jefferson and Igyy

In that's order...
Brooklyn's #1 Spurs fan!!!
Old 06-21-13, 01:09 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Josh Smith wants max. Although he might have to settle for less. It will be interesting to see what he actually can get. Yes he would help a ton. Although The other Smith (JR) would be a great second option and probably costs a lot less. I remember when the Spurs were trying to get JR on a couple of occasions and even in an interview in New York where I live he told the local press that he was very serious about the Spurs as an option two years ago and it was between New York and them.
Maybe this time he will pick them.
Old 06-21-13, 01:11 AM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
If I recall correctly from Pop's mouth he said they don't call plays for Green or Kawhi ever. It seems like they do but only because of the offensive system.
Well today, obviously they made a point to tell him to be aggressive and get to the basket. The whole team knew and gave him the ball. Call it what you want, but in my mind that makes him a main option and that they "called his number."
Old 06-21-13, 01:11 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

You do not want JR Smith....I live in NYC

Night before a playoff game he is out with Rihanna until 3AM

No no no!
Brooklyn's #1 Spurs fan!!!
Old 06-21-13, 01:12 AM
SpursReport Rookie

ALSPURS-

Do you think the Spurs can and will free up enough money to get one of those? It would be pretty exciting I agree and I would love that but isn't a 2nd tier type guy a lot more likely? I would add Millsap to your list as well as JR Smith
Old 06-21-13, 01:13 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSPURS View Post
You do not want JR Smith....I live in NYC

Night before a playoff game he is out with Rihanna until 3AM

No no no!

Hey that just means he has good taste in women. Nothing wring with that!!
Old 06-21-13, 01:15 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Well today, obviously they made a point to tell him to be aggressive and get to the basket. The whole team knew and gave him the ball. Call it what you want, but in my mind that makes him a main option and that they "called his number."
Not saying he wasn't an option. Just saying what Pop said. Not making it up. I'm proud of Kawhi period though.
Old 06-21-13, 03:03 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmengd View Post
ALSPURS-

Do you think the Spurs can and will free up enough money to get one of those? It would be pretty exciting I agree and I would love that but isn't a 2nd tier type guy a lot more likely? I would add Millsap to your list as well as JR Smith
According to hoopshype, (which usually has pretty good numbers) the Spurs have $41.8M committed to players. That number includes 2 player options for Diaw ($4.7M) and Mills ($1.1M). Assuming neither of them opt out, that leaves the Spurs with 10 players under contract. They'll have qualifying offers to make to Tiago ($4.9M) and Gary Neal ($1.1M). They'll also have bird rights to Manu. If I had to guess, unless they come to a quick agreement, they'll revoke Manu's rights (so that he doesn't count so much against the cap). They'll also have a cap hold for the #28 pick ($863k).

The final numbers won't be announced for a few weeks but preliminary reports suggest that the cap will be around $58.5M. This means the Spurs will have around $15.9M to split between Tiago, Manu, Neal and another player. They will also have the mid-level exception ($5.1M or $2.6M if they release all 3). My guess is, is that unless they can get a commitment from a major FA, they resign all 3 for around $15M (Tiago $8M, Manu $6M, Neal $1M) leaving them the $5.1M exception.

Short answer, yes the spurs can free up a lot of money, but I highly doubt they will.
Old 06-21-13, 04:51 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I figured for the biggest bang for our buck Tiago and Neal would be the ones to go. I prefer to entertain the idea of Jefferson or Cousins(crazy long shot +bad attitude). We definitely need some grit and/or someone who can foster spontaneity.

Last edited by SPURSGIRL4Life; 06-21-13 at 04:54 AM.
Old 06-21-13, 08:52 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I say Dwight Howard.

We have enough space to offer him max and we should run after him. If we would have a guy like that against Miami, we could finish them in 5.
Old 06-21-13, 10:29 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
According to hoopshype, (which usually has pretty good numbers) the Spurs have $41.8M committed to players. That number includes 2 player options for Diaw ($4.7M) and Mills ($1.1M). Assuming neither of them opt out, that leaves the Spurs with 10 players under contract. They'll have qualifying offers to make to Tiago ($4.9M) and Gary Neal ($1.1M). They'll also have bird rights to Manu. If I had to guess, unless they come to a quick agreement, they'll revoke Manu's rights (so that he doesn't count so much against the cap). They'll also have a cap hold for the #28 pick ($863k).

The final numbers won't be announced for a few weeks but preliminary reports suggest that the cap will be around $58.5M. This means the Spurs will have around $15.9M to split between Tiago, Manu, Neal and another player. They will also have the mid-level exception ($5.1M or $2.6M if they release all 3). My guess is, is that unless they can get a commitment from a major FA, they resign all 3 for around $15M (Tiago $8M, Manu $6M, Neal $1M) leaving them the $5.1M exception.

Short answer, yes the spurs can free up a lot of money, but I highly doubt they will.
Neal was making close to 1 million as an unknown player. He will get much more. Manu is not worth 6 million. Splitter at 8 million is crazy. You don't pay a guy 8 million to be a bit player in a championship series. Even if they won the whole thing......I don't think their goal was to re-sign everybody and eat up all their cap with it.
Old 06-21-13, 10:44 AM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Dwight Howard and Josh Smith are the obvious targets. Splitter played much better this year and we can't overlook the fact that his defense was key in getting us past Memphis. But while he is mobile, he is not athletic in the same way they are. I just fear that those players come with the downside risk of being less focused and less mature, which is not how the Spurs win championships. Think Dennis Rodman in the David Robinson era.

We can't overlook that the NBA has changed the rules to favor athletic wing players who can both get to the rim and hit jumpers.

Tim is really very close to as good as he ever was on the low block, but league rules now favor dribble drives over low post. Wade and James get calls at 10 to 20 feet from the basket that Duncan can't get inside of that range, and it also bleeds over 20 plays outside they are allowed to play more physical.

So we need to continue to develop the wings and that position generally. So Andre iguodala would not be a bad target because in the end when we were playing with one big versus Miami, and putting Gary Neal out there, versus Guys like Ray Allen and Shane Battier and Mike Miller, we saw a big drop off.

And we need to have Manu back. But he needs to fill a role like Ray Allen, Shane Battier, and Mike Miller, not be one of the big three.
Old 06-21-13, 10:45 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

dwight howard
Al jefferson
Josh Smith
andre iguodala
Paul Milsap
J.R smith

my wish list...
Old 06-21-13, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Neal was making close to 1 million as an unknown player. He will get much more. Manu is not worth 6 million. Splitter at 8 million is crazy. You don't pay a guy 8 million to be a bit player in a championship series. Even if they won the whole thing......I don't think their goal was to re-sign everybody and eat up all their cap with it.
I think what Danny Green.got would be fair for Gary Neal. I think for Manu, we give him whatever money is left over after we sign a big ticket free-agent. Off the top of my head two years 7 million total sounds right.

I really don't know what to do with splitter. Frankly I am comfortable paying him whatever it takes to get him back if we can't get something better. We don't get past Memphis without him. But if we can get somebody better, we do it in a heartbeat.

Last edited by grizzly_bexar; 06-21-13 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-21-13, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanCaca View Post
dwight howard
Al jefferson
Josh Smith
andre iguodala
Paul Milsap
J.R smith

my wish list...
I like Paul Millsap. One area where we were deficient in this series was rebounding and he fixes that. Plus he's got decent range on his shot, which was one of the problems playing splitter.
Old 06-21-13, 11:13 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

and milsap is realistic option...

but not know how much $ want, or his preferences (spotlight, big market, etc)
Old 06-21-13, 11:35 AM
Herman Cain of the board

It's funny to see Millsap's name out there several times on this board because when I brought it up.....I got blasted for suggesting him.lol
Old 06-21-13, 11:44 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I think there is a strong possiblity that Manu will retire. That being said we're pretty good on the wing. I hope we can resign Neal and continue to develop CJ and Nando as backups. I wouldn't mind seeing a vet pg like a Duhon to come in and help with that. I personally do not want Splitter back as I feel when the chips are down he simply doesn't "have it" I'm sure it's a long shot but I'd love to get Kosta Kofous in here. Or someone like Omar Asiek (sp?) perhaps if the Rockets get Howard they'll be looking to trade OA. Just throwing some thoughts out there.
Old 06-21-13, 11:45 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Oh and count me in on the Milsap wagon.
Old 06-21-13, 12:16 PM
The Master Baiter

Milsap is good rebounder but not great and he's still only 6'8". How much are you going to pay for a good rebounder? He made 7 million this year and of course will probably look for more. I think this team needs more than a Milsap.
Old 06-21-13, 12:53 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I say we throw $7-8M 1 year contract to Bynum who'll be looking to prove himself and then a minimum contract to Oden. Those two moves would complete the big position. I'd try to bring Adam Hanga over before he signs his 3 year contract with Spanish team. Hanga would be the sf backup behind Kawhi. I'm all for developing Nando and CJ into the backup position. I would not be disappointed in seeing Neal or Splitter go. If Mills picks up his option, the I say to let Neal go since they're identical to one another and I think Mills is infinitely better than Neal on defensive end (tired of seeing Neals man constantly open for 3 balls)

- Confucius
Old 06-21-13, 12:59 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
As I said my guess is that they resign all 3 and sign an mle person because I don't think they get anyone big to come to sa.

I don't watch the jazz much but looking at stats you're crazy to think milsap is that much better than splitter. Milsap will command several million more per year for a very similar skill set. In equal minutes (Per 30), milsap averaged 2 points and 1rebound more while shooting worse on a worse team. I think if you give splitter a couple more years to develop he will be a better player at a cheaper price.

Either way, if we face the heat again, the problem is neither one will help us. Lebron is such an amazing talent that you can't play big vs the heat because then your pf/c is guarding a sf.

What we need is more slashing/ability to create your own shot. I don't know who that is but most of those types come either very expensive or very cheap. If they come cheap (with the mle) we resign all 3.
Old 06-21-13, 01:17 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
As I said my guess is that they resign all 3 and sign an mle person because I don't think they get anyone big to come to sa.

I don't watch the jazz much but looking at stats you're crazy to think milsap is that much better than splitter. Milsap will command several million more per year for a very similar skill set. In equal minutes (Per 30), milsap averaged 2 points and 1rebound more while shooting worse on a worse team. I think if you give splitter a couple more years to develop he will be a better player at a cheaper price.

Either way, if we face the heat again, the problem is neither one will help us. Lebron is such an amazing talent that you can't play big vs the heat because then your pf/c is guarding a sf.

What we need is more slashing/ability to create your own shot. I don't know who that is but most of those types come either very expensive or very cheap. If they come cheap (with the mle) we resign all 3.

That's what I've been saying and agree with you 100% well the part that states we need a slashing/ability player
Old 06-21-13, 01:22 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Tyrus Thomas, Nate Robinson, Monte Ellis, Jarrett Jack, Taj Gibson, Samuel Dalembert
Old 06-21-13, 01:29 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:

You're pretty much going status quo from you here and it won't work. The big three will be older. Splitter was a bit player in the Finals he doesn't deserve big money. Neal will want more than 1 million per sorry. If the give up all your FA money on your own it won't make them better. It's a talent issue. Millsap is better than Splitter. I'm tired of the players who do good on teams but get dinged because the team's record. Did Zach Randolph suck on the Clippers? Nope. TMAC on the Magic or Rockets? Nope. They didn't have help. What did David Robinson do before Duncan? He never got to the Finals because the Spurs were the discount team. Robinson was a great player but most if the time they blew in the playoffs and didn't always have long playoff runs. But he had no help. They will have either make a big draft move Kawhi style or go after a big fish on the FA market. If they go in thinking we were 20 seconds away with what they got.......they won't ever get back there with that mentality. They need to invest in the draft and clear cap space(Bonner).

Last edited by WILLTHETHRILL; 06-21-13 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-21-13, 01:55 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
You're pretty much going status quo from you here and it won't work. The big three will be older. Splitter was a bit player in the Finals he doesn't deserve big money. Neal will want more than 1 million per sorry. If the give up all your FA money on your own it won't make them better. It's a talent issue. Millsap is better than Splitter. I'm tired of the players who do good on teams but get dinged because the team's record. Did Zach Randolph suck on the Clippers? Nope. TMAC on the Magic or Rockets? Nope. They didn't have help. What did David Robinson do before Duncan? He never got to the Finals because the Spurs were the discount team. Robinson was a great player but most if the time they blew in the playoffs and didn't always have long playoff runs. But he had no help. They will have either make a big draft move Kawhi style or go after a big fish on the FA market. If they go in thinking we were 20 seconds away with what they got.......they won't ever get back there with that mentality. They need to invest in the draft and clear cap space(Bonner).
Are you seriously comparing scrubs like milsap and Randolph to Robinson? Robinson was a perennial MVP candidate, first team all-nba on offense and defense as well as a great human being. And what has milsap done? Oh that's right he made the Rookie 2nd team.

Again I haven't watched milsap but stat wise he and tiago are comperable. The big difference is is that milsap will cost us several million more per year. I would be interested if milsap would come at a discount but I imagine he will command close to the max. If all things are equal you pay the guys that brought you here.
Old 06-21-13, 02:01 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Are you seriously comparing scrubs like milsap and Randolph to Robinson? Robinson was a perennial MVP candidate, first team all-nba on offense and defense as well as a great human being. And what has milsap done? Oh that's right he made the Rookie 2nd team.

Again I haven't watched milsap but stat wise he and tiago are comperable. The big difference is is that milsap will cost us several million more per year. I would be interested if milsap would come at a discount but I imagine he will command close to the max. If all things are equal you pay the guys that brought you here.
Not comparing the players to DROB but the situations. Actually Rookie 2nd team accolade isn't bad for him since he was a bottom of the second round guy who led the NCAA in rebounds several times. You admit to not watching Millsap so that discredits your view on him to me. You pay the guys who brought you here to an extent. Millsap is not max and he knows that. Be serious man. It's your opinion and that's fine.
Old 06-21-13, 02:05 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Will, you keep calling Splitter a bit player (which is true), but that's exactly what Milsap is too. He's not some hidden talent wasting away in Utah.
Old 06-21-13, 02:28 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Will, you keep calling Splitter a bit player (which is true), but that's exactly what Milsap is too. He's not some hidden talent wasting away in Utah.
Thanks for pointing out what I was trying to do with numbers. The 2 are comperable in just about every area. If milsap was a all-nba player I would be the first to dump splitter for him. I'd dump splitter for Marc Gasol, Dwight Howard, Blake Griffin, Kevin Love! Shoot maybe even David Lee. But Milsap has been in the league 7 years and Has never averaged 9 rebounds per game. His stats show that he has regressed the past 3 years. Meanwhile Tiago has gotten better all 3 years he's been in the league. That's why I'd take Tiago over Milsap.
Old 06-21-13, 03:57 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I didn't read all 41 post but do anyone object to Pau Gasol? He isn't happy in LA. Also, in this draft should the Spurs go after a center which this draft is heavy with or a Leonard like shooting guard?
Old 06-21-13, 05:22 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
It's funny to see Millsap's name out there several times on this board because when I brought it up.....I got blasted for suggesting him.lol

Maybe it just sounded better when I said it because I mentioned him with some more unrealistic options
Old 06-21-13, 05:27 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I was thinking do a Frankenstein trade: put Blair's heart and drive and athleticism into Splitters body
Old 06-21-13, 05:28 PM
SpursReport Rookie

OOh wait I got it!! I see Richard Jefferson is free Agent....Crickets..
Old 06-21-13, 06:30 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I have always like Al Jefferson. He just knows how to score in the post and he can board. He has become a better passer too. Any left over money, I would send to a legit back up PG. Parker needs rest.
Old 06-21-13, 08:43 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanCaca View Post
dwight howard
Al Jefferson
Josh Smith
andre iguodala
Paul Milsap
J.R smith

my wish list...
Not a fan of JR Smith especially since he is such a nutcase and gives up in the middle of games if he misses easy shots. I still added a bad element player in Barnes on my list but at least he gives 100% and would be much cheaper and plays better defense. Here is my list in no real definitive order:

Would be nice, but pricey.....
Josh Smith (Maybe Finals spotlight makes him see Spurs as option?.... nah.. max money)
Iquodala (Up and down player like Manu but not in a good way. Really talented but can't see it)
Al Jefferson (didn't Spurs try to trade for him? Might be a real possibility...)
Dwight Howard (Maybe Finals spotlight makes him see Spurs as option?.... nah.. max money)

Interesting names.... not bad if cheap
Calderon (like the idea of a vet pg behind Tony and he can shoot the 3 and dish the rock)
JJ Redick (Spurs were interested... winning situation bye bye Neal?)
Jarrett Jack (nice backup pg/sg option if he can control himself on the court)
Kevin Martin (a little limited to just scoring, no defense and who doesn't hate his shot?)
Jerryd Bayless (prob played out of a reasonable price range)
Sean Marion (Older but did pretty good in short stints. Perfect old good option for Spurs off bench)
Kyle Korver (limited to just scoring, no defense but nice volume 3pt shooter)
Corey Brewer (getting better scoring/shooting wise and plays decent defense on cheap)
Matt Barnes

Last edited by montgod; 06-21-13 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-22-13, 07:49 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Iggy over Milsap any day!!!
Old 06-22-13, 07:52 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
The guy just opted out of a huge deal and he would come here why? At least you had an idea so I give you that. Unlike the others on here who bash and offer zero solutions. So I respect that from you but Iggy here would be a longshot!
Iggy simply has a heart of gold! Is that a good enough answer?