News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 06-19-13, 01:21 PM
SR 2010 Western Conference Champion

Where to put the blame?

Last night, I turned off the TV right after the game ended. Didn't stay to watch the post game conference to "calm myself down" a little bit and went right to sleep. Or at least try to.

I was in bed turning around and thinking of all the "what if" I could come up with (in no particular order).
What if they had grabbed that rebound instead of tipping it to Miller so he could assist LeBron on that 3?
What if Ray Allen had stepped on the line?
What if the refs had called the foul on Manu's last drive?
Or what if any other ref call or no call against us had gone in our favour?
What if any of the Spurs that went to the line at the end of the game was able to make both his FTs instead of splitting them?
What if Pop had taken a timeout when Manu grabbed the rebound and sped up court to draw a play to try to win the game?
What if any of our Spurs had made one less mistake (specially turnovers) throughout the game?
Or what if any of our guys had made one more shot?

There was a moment in the game when the refs called something against the Heat and Battier was talking the ref in an agitated manner all the way until the Spurs were about to inbound the ball. The spanish commentator was saying (in a joking tone) that Battier was "discussing Nuclear Physics with the ref". And I remember thinking at that time that the ref should call a technical on Battier just to shut him up.

So when I was in bed I even got to think
What if the ref had called that techincal?

After an hour of laying in the bed my head was still racing with "what ifs" and my heart was also racing as if I had just ran a mile.

I had to put the blame on someone or something to try to somehow explain what had happened at the end of game 6. I blamed the refs (always the easy scapegoat), blamed Pop, blamed Manu, blamed Allen... I blamed almost every Spurs and Heat player in turns. But non of those things would let me settle down and finally get some sleep.

My heart was broken (as I'm sure many of you experienced last night) and couldn't find where to put the blame to try to fix it (or at least, mend it a little bit).

So (as a last resort) I tried putting the blame aside and looking at the bigger picture.
If someone told me after we lost to OKC last year or at the beginning of this year that we were going to be playing Game 7 of the NBA Finals in Miami I would have been all for it.
If someone had told me after last year Conference Finals that the Spurs would respond to Game 2 and Game 4 losses the way they did in Game 3 and Game 5 I would have thought they were talking about another team, not these Spurs.

At one moment last night, during the 4th quarter, the commentator said this was a battle between heavy weights.
The Heat and the Spurs have been the best teams in these playoffs. They both have faced adversity and were able to overcome everything so far. They have been playing lots of NBA games this season and games with a lot of intensity all throughout these playoffs and they are still standing.
If the Heat were able to sustain the energy and the focus for 48 minutes every game, this series would have been over by now.
If the Spurs were able to sustain the torrid shooting and execution for 48 minutes every game, this series would have been over by now.
Both teams have been giving all they have and are both running on their last fumes. It kind of reminds me of that Rocky movie where both fighters were tired as hell but would not give up and kept throwing punches to the other guy hitting them as hard as the little energy they had would let them.
The Spurs have been throwing their share of punches but even though we as fans don't like it, the Heat have been doing the same and they are good at it.

Last night I had dinner with my Dad before the game and he asked me who would win last night's game. I told him that for Game 6 I had the same feeling I've been having all series. That it was a coin toss. I feel like these two teams are very different from each other but are still very even and there is no clear favorite. And I'm still feeling the same way for tomorrow's game.

After thinking all that I was finally able to sleep a few hours before having to get up to go to work this morning. It didn't fix my "heartbreak" (I think nothing short of a game 7 win will do), but at least it helped me "calm down" a little bit and "endure" the hours and minutes before game 7 tip off.

So let's all hope tomorrow these Spurs can "fix" our broken hearts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-19-13, 01:44 PM
The Master Baiter

It was tough to handle, but I'm feeling confident now. While I won't take any of my criticism away from Manu, you still have to blame it on poor shooting. If one of those open threes go in, or one of those missed layups go in, or even one of those missed FT's, we are celebrating today.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-19-13, 01:44 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Nice post. I feel what you're saying but I don't blame the refs. They let a lot of stuff go on both sides but I think they made the right calls at the end. The block on green at the end was legit for what they had been calling/not calling throughout the game. Had they been calling ticky-tack fouls all game, then yes it was a foul. I remember at least 1 instance where a spur ran into a heat player after a 3 pointer and no foul was called, so i feel that evened out. The drive by Manu was slightly more questionable but I think it fit with the calls. There was probably a foul before Manu brought the ball up to shoot but on the shot, I felt he got his hand on the ball first.

I'm fine with no foul call on either play because that's not what lost us the game. We lost because we couldn't get a rebound. We lost because we couldn't hit our fts. We lost because of Manu's horrendous play all game.
Old 06-19-13, 01:53 PM
Moderator & Chatroom Greeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasamohT View Post

I'm fine with no foul call on either play because that's not what lost us the game. We lost because we couldn't get a rebound. We lost because we couldn't hit our fts. We lost because of Manu's horrendous play all game.
Wow all those options and u chose the most obvious yet the most simplistic and less encompassing answer.
Good job! :applause
[email protected]
Old 06-19-13, 02:21 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Last night I must have awoke 6-7 times thinking that we where up 5 with .28 seconds...

Yes it was a rough one personally for me...
Brooklyn's #1 Spurs fan!!!
Old 06-19-13, 02:34 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
It was tough to handle, but I'm feeling confident now. While I won't take any of my criticism away from Manu, you still have to blame it on poor shooting. If one of those open threes go in, or one of those missed layups go in, or even one of those missed FT's, we are celebrating today.
Yep, it was very hard to handle last night. I am done bad mouthing any player out there now and just hope they all bring it tomorrow and have a special night. This will be tough to win in Miami.

The sad part is the last part you said, we could very easily be celebrating today and relaxing, but we are staring at a one game take all now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSPURS View Post
Last night I must have awoke 6-7 times thinking that we where up 5 with .28 seconds...

I woke up around every hour or so last night, slept some later this morning but not my normal sleep. This one sucked.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 06-19-13, 02:48 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I'm right there with you guys. Feeling very up and down and drained for last night but there is still one more game to play. That is all I am making myself think about.
Old 06-19-13, 02:58 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHENEA View Post
Wow all those options and u chose the most obvious yet the most simplistic and less encompassing answer.
Good job! :applause
Ohh...there are potentially many other reasons we lost the game. A butterfly might have flapped its wings in Thailand resulting in a slight breeze that changed Allen's shot from a miss to a make. I just focused on the 3 most obvious reasons we lost.

I yelled at the tv when we didn't get the first rebound. I yelled at pop when we tried the same thing with the same people a few seconds later and got the same results. I yelled at Kawhi and Manu when they missed their FTs. I cringed whenever Manu touched the ball.

If we wanted to we could argue the same things in favor of the heat. The point is, we had that game in our hands with 19 seconds left and we blew it.
Old 06-19-13, 03:08 PM
SpursReport Team Member

The last 5 minutes especially, was a bad choke job all the way around. Missed defensive assignments, missed free throws, turnovers, and the Pop's decision to sit Timmy just put the nail in the game 6 coffin. They will not choke again if given the chance. Miami better come out on fire and stay on fire if they want to pull game 7 off.

Old 06-19-13, 03:37 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSPURS View Post

Same here!!! I truly lost sleep over last night's game.
Old 06-19-13, 04:17 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

everyone talking about bad night ...well btween games 4 y 5 i dreamed timmy rising LO'B trophy and pop and the guys surronding him hughing and celebrating... weird uhh?

Last edited by JuanCaca; 06-19-13 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-19-13, 04:21 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Game 6, the majority of blame goes on Manu. 8 Turnovers, NOT acceptable, even after numerous other games with other turnovers, or near turnovers. Sloppy play.

Parker, Manu dribbling too much, need ball movement!!! I feel like sometimes Parker is trying to improve his stats so he could get MVP.

Leonard miss a FT but I give him leeway because he was playing good throughout.
Old 06-19-13, 05:20 PM
Moderator & Chatroom Greeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalloJD View Post

Parker, Manu dribbling too much, need ball movement!!! I feel like sometimes Parker is trying to improve his stats so he could get MVP.
Why do you think they dribbled so much? It's MIA's strategy.
I have no idea though how to counter-adjust. We haven't been able to steadily beat the trap this whole series. We can't move the ball and most plays end up in TO or bad shot.
[email protected]
Old 06-19-13, 06:53 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

The guards didn't play well but Manu was the worst with eight turnovers Brent Barry said he should have worn a Heat jersey and he is a former teammate
Old 06-19-13, 07:15 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Last night was disappointing however look at it this way, we have two chances to win one game while the Heat have to win 2 in a row. They were beaten Tuesday except for a lucky bounce.
Old 06-19-13, 07:25 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I blame.... The Spurs. Make your free throws. Grab a rebound. Foul at the right time. Get a call. If we were in the other side, we would be talking about perseverance. We didn't make the plays when the game was ours. Manu, Pop, Timmy, TP, Danny, Kawhi. All had a hand in the last few minutes. It's heartbreaking. I don't know how they will find the energy for game 7. They have no choice, but someone is going to have to come up big. Real big. We need a super human performance from someone. I don't care if its another 30-17 from Timmy. Or Manus game 5. Or TP going nuts. Or 3's from everywhere. But something, I mean something special needs to happen.
Old 06-19-13, 08:08 PM
Spurs #1 cheer leader

There's enough blame to go around, but what good does it do? It was a heartbreaking loss for sure, but it's over. All that matters now is winning one game & I believe we will!

Stay thirsty my friends.
Old 06-19-13, 09:25 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHENEA View Post
Why do you think they dribbled so much? It's MIA's strategy.
I have no idea though how to counter-adjust. We haven't been able to steadily beat the trap this whole series. We can't move the ball and most plays end up in TO or bad shot.
That would be correct, shots are hard to come by in this series it seems because of their speed on D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn7mo View Post
There's enough blame to go around, but what good does it do? It was a heartbreaking loss for sure, but it's over. All that matters now is winning one game & I believe we will!
This is about the bottom line here. I hope we will win that game to put this one behind us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabspur View Post
I blame.... The Spurs. Make your free throws. Grab a rebound. Foul at the right time. Get a call. If we were in the other side, we would be talking about perseverance. We didn't make the plays when the game was ours. Manu, Pop, Timmy, TP, Danny, Kawhi. All had a hand in the last few minutes. It's heartbreaking. I don't know how they will find the energy for game 7. They have no choice, but someone is going to have to come up big. Real big. We need a super human performance from someone. I don't care if its another 30-17 from Timmy. Or Manus game 5. Or TP going nuts. Or 3's from everywhere. But something, I mean something special needs to happen.
Correct, an average game all over will not win it! You are correct something special has to happen from somewhere. Lets hope our threes drop like there is no tomorrow one more game.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.

Last edited by Rzarector7; 06-19-13 at 09:27 PM.