News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 06-18-13, 11:20 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Greg Poppovich coached us out of a win

No Duncan in final two possessions and Splitter????? in on the last shot. Of course Bosh is going to leave him. Poor substitutions in 3rd/4th qtr let Heat back in. WTF?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-18-13, 11:23 PM
SpursReport Team Member

How is Tim not in there for those to offensive rebounds by Miami. That's the game right there.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-18-13, 11:23 PM
Spartan Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steefposton View Post
How is Tim not in there for those to offensive rebounds by Miami. That's the game right there.
Agreed.

Old 06-18-13, 11:35 PM
Spurs #1 cheer leader

I have to agree, I love Pop but he cost us the win.

Stay thirsty my friends.
Old 06-18-13, 11:38 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Pop had poop on the brain
Old 06-18-13, 11:40 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Blew the game... PERIOD.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 06-18-13, 11:41 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Wow, That's gotta be the most bone head decision I think Pop has ever made, ans if the Spurs lose this series than Pop will be kicking himself as so many of us will, for the rest of our lives.....!
Old 06-18-13, 11:49 PM
SpursReport Rookie

How about not calling timeout to get our best player in on offense on the 2nd to last possession on offense.
Old 06-18-13, 11:56 PM
Herman Cain of the board

pop's brain took a timeout
Old 06-18-13, 11:59 PM
SpursReport Rookie

biggest coaching choke job i've ever witnessed
Old 06-19-13, 12:01 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2CENTSWORTH View Post
biggest coaching choke job i've ever witnessed
I wouldn't go that far.lol
Old 06-19-13, 12:14 AM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Look, you can't fault his coaching decisions, and then ASSUME those same coaching decisions to get us into a position to win.

What I mean: You can't ASSUME Lebron James missing the three and then slam Pop for not having Duncan in the game to grab the rebound. Just as arguably, the miss is because of the fact Duncan's not in the game enabling us to switch.

You can't ASSUME Lebron missing a floater over Manu (who is in in lieu of Parker at that point) on the switch, and then assume TP's absence cost us the game, because TP's presence may have forced a double team and created a better shot for Miami.

And I hated TD/TP being on the bench starting the 4th as much as anybody. But did that decision seem so bad when they had the energy to put us up big with under a minute to go?

You can't ASSUME the Spurs take Lebron's punch and have the energy to come back and take the lead (and let's face it, the way Lebron was playing, it's arguable TD/TP wouldn't have made a difference).

Criticize him, sure. But be real. Don't forget his decisions that worked out on the first half of plays, or that may have helped put the Spurs in position to win.
Old 06-19-13, 12:17 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
I wouldn't go that far.lol
Give me a bigger one. 28secs left up by 6 you take out our best rebounder/best PF in the history of the NBA and 4 offensive rbs later the game is tied.

Then last possession to win game and you don't call time out to put your best player in TP?

Please give me a time a coach made bigger blunders on this big of a stage?
Old 06-19-13, 12:19 AM

If we call timeout, the heat set up their defense. How were we looking versus their set halfcourt defense in the second half?

And Manu got fouled on that play. Period. Can't fault Pop for a no call by the officials.
Old 06-19-13, 12:23 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
If we call timeout, the heat set up their defense. How were we looking versus their set halfcourt defense in the second half?

And Manu got fouled on that play. Period. Can't fault Pop for a no call by the officials.
So you agree with keeping TP on the bench? Would be like sitting Lebron for last possession for Miami.
Old 06-19-13, 12:29 AM

Quote:
So you agree with keeping TP on the bench? Would be like sitting Lebron for last possession for Miami.
What I'm saying is I get the decision to have him on the bench defensively. Give us length and enables us to switch. Lebron misses the shot.

If TP's in the game, maybe Lebron makes the shot over TP on the switch (maybe he doesn't, but I take Manu vs. TP on Lebron any day).

So you can't assume the benefit of Pop's decision (missed shot & rebound) and then criticize him for the offensive part-- ESPECIALLY when that involves an epic whistlesuck by the refs.

And arguably, yes, it's the right call offensively. What did TP do on his end of the first half full court drive by Miami? Yeah, that's right. He threw up an off balance fadeaway 18 feet from the basket falling out of bound. You want that at the end?

I love TP, but it's hard to criticize that move considered in context.
Old 06-19-13, 12:34 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Look, you can't fault his coaching decisions, and then ASSUME those same coaching decisions to get us into a position to win.

What I mean: You can't ASSUME Lebron James missing the three and then slam Pop for not having Duncan in the game to grab the rebound. Just as arguably, the miss is because of the fact Duncan's not in the game enabling us to switch.

You can't ASSUME Lebron missing a floater over Manu (who is in in lieu of Parker at that point) on the switch, and then assume TP's absence cost us the game, because TP's presence may have forced a double team and created a better shot for Miami.

And I hated TD/TP being on the bench starting the 4th as much as anybody. But did that decision seem so bad when they had the energy to put us up big with under a minute to go?

You can't ASSUME the Spurs take Lebron's punch and have the energy to come back and take the lead (and let's face it, the way Lebron was playing, it's arguable TD/TP wouldn't have made a difference).

Criticize him, sure. But be real. Don't forget his decisions that worked out on the first half of plays, or that may have helped put the Spurs in position to win.
I have never been a big fan of Pop's but this post is one of the most insightful astute posts I have ever read on this forum....I was blaming Pop too until I read this.....it all comes down to making FT's and for the love of God, foul the sh#t out of Bosh on that rebound of the James miss before he gets it to Allen. We just needed ONE of about 6 things to go our way in the last 30 seconds and we are celebrating a championship....most painful moment in 35 years of watching sports (eclipses montana to clark in the corner of the end-zone!)
Old 06-19-13, 12:42 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad1 View Post
I have never been a big fan of Pop's but this post is one of the most insightful astute posts I have ever read on this forum....I was blaming Pop too until I read this.....it all comes down to making FT's and for the love of God, foul the sh#t out of Bosh on that rebound of the James miss before he gets it to Allen. We just needed ONE of about 6 things to go our way in the last 30 seconds and we are celebrating a championship....most painful moment in 35 years of watching sports (eclipses montana to clark in the corner of the end-zone!)
taking TP out on Defense is fine, but inexcusable to keep him out offense when you have a TO left.
Old 06-19-13, 12:49 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Kind of agree with Tony out on the last possession maybe not the best, but again it also allows Miami to set their defense and we saw at the end of regulation what happens, which is why I was so mad when the refs stopped the game to review Allen's 3 because I think we would have had a much better chance to score if we had gone up the floor after the make rather than letting Miami set their defense.
Old 06-19-13, 12:50 AM
SR 2013 Pick the Winner Champ & Rookie of the Year

the duncan sub reminded me of the sub in game 1 of the indy miami series when hibbert got taken out. only difference was that instead of lebron taking it to the hoop and not having someone to challenge him there that we didnt have the height/length to get a rebound to close it out.
Old 06-19-13, 12:54 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Kind of agree with Tony out on the last possession maybe not the best, but again it also allows Miami to set their defense and we saw at the end of regulation what happens, which is why I was so mad when the refs stopped the game to review Allen's 3 because I think we would have had a much better chance to score if we had gone up the floor after the make rather than letting Miami set their defense.
Yes we saw what happened at the end of regulation when Miami was up 2 with 1 1/2 mins left. tony hit an in your face 3 on lebron, stole the ball on D, drove coast to coast for a floater to give us the lead. Makes sense to bench him because Miami might set-up, please get real.
Old 06-19-13, 12:55 AM

Yeah, personally I think I would have trusted Duncan to be able to switch and force a miss rather than have him out. But you know Miami needs 3 so it's really hard to argue with getting the best length plus mobility combination out on the court.
Old 06-19-13, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Yes we saw what happened at the end of regulation when Miami was up 2 with 1 1/2 mins left. tony hit an in your face 3 on lebron, stole the ball on D, drove coast to coast for a floater to give us the lead. Makes sense to bench him because Miami might set-up, please get real.
You also had TP get blocked on a step back jumper.

I can live with what we got out of it-- which is Manu in the lane getting raked on the arm.

I can't live with the foul-- but I can understand it. The refs were told to swallow their whistles in the last two minutes, and they did.

You have to live by the mantra, "if it's not close, they can't cheat."
Old 06-19-13, 12:58 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, personally I think I would have trusted Duncan to be able to switch and force a miss rather than have him out. But you know Miami needs 3 so it's really hard to argue with getting the best length plus mobility combination out on the court.
Understand benching our best rebounder, defender and best Spur of all-time who is having a monster game?
Old 06-19-13, 01:08 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
You also had TP get blocked on a step back jumper.

I can live with what we got out of it-- which is Manu in the lane getting raked on the arm.

I can't live with the foul-- but I can understand it. The refs were told to swallow their whistles in the last two minutes, and they did.

You have to live by the mantra, "if it's not close, they can't cheat."
You can live with a guy who had 6pts 8TOs taking the last shot because the guy who closed out Memphis singlehandedly, won game 1 and put you in position to win the title tonight got his shot blocked once. Makes sense.
Old 06-19-13, 01:13 AM

It's not apples to apples. Obviously you want TP on the court, all things being equal. But the defensive play with him off the court worked out. You don't want Miami to set up their defense.

If Lebron makes a shot over TP with TP in the game defensively, then we're not having this conversation.

Or if the refs call the foul on Manu's drive, we're not having this conversation.

That's my point.
Old 06-19-13, 01:27 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
It's not apples to apples. Obviously you want TP on the court, all things being equal. But the defensive play with him off the court worked out. You don't want Miami to set up their defense.

If Lebron makes a shot over TP with TP in the game defensively, then we're not having this conversation.

Or if the refs call the foul on Manu's drive, we're not having this conversation.

That's my point.
Makes no sense. Substitute TP on d is fine, but for the love of God bring your MVP back in with 8 secs left and one bucket to win. Dude proved just minutes prior he is a miracle maker.

Pop sucked ass, and that it's even debatable is dumbfounding.
Old 06-19-13, 01:41 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Here's a telling statistic.

8 second chance points for Heat in 44 minutes with Tim on the floor.

6 second chance points in last 30 seconds of regulation with Tim on the bench.
Old 06-19-13, 02:07 AM
SpursReport Team Member

1. I can see why pop didnt want to foul, tony seemed tired, and probably felt he had a better chance to score in transition as apposed to a set miami defense, which was quite suffocating.

2. i felt that the spurs did not kill enough time towards the end there. I was pissed that they went for the easy two instead of killing the clock and forceing miami to foul.

3. I absolutely get the reason why take timmy out, but it was still a costly mistake...in that let timmy end the game on his terms on not on the bench watching from a far.

4. FOUL bosh next time. I would have murdered him to get that rebound...who cares 2 points doesn't beat you in that situation. a 3 may have just tied the game but it KILLed there moment.

5. I cant seem them winning game 7.
Old 06-19-13, 02:12 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:

I really don't have a problem with no timeout to bring Parker back in. A TO allows them to bring shot blockers on the floor.

My issue with the substitutions in the second half was seeing the crap unit we had out there. Pop should have taken Parker out much sooner to minimize the amount of time Manu was the only one of the big 3 on the floor. I also forgot to mention the timeout Pop called when Miller lost his shoe. That decision really pissed me off. He should have made the Heat foul or iso on Miller there.
Old 06-19-13, 02:32 AM
SpursReport Rookie

The timeout with Miller missing a shoe pi$$ed the sh1t out of me too. And why didn't we kill the clock instead of manu going for the layup and foul? I could have taken a loss tonight, actually expected it, but NOT this way!!!!!!!

Can you imagine how the players feel?
Old 06-19-13, 10:14 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Not sure if any of you guys mentioned it but on I think the Jeff Sheen show on 760 he said that Pop may try to give the game away by sitting his starters in the final period. Sitting Tim in the final 2 possessions of regulation sounds close to that. We had the game! Ugh! They'll do it 2morrow! Ugh! The insanity!
Old 06-19-13, 10:37 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Pop is a great coach but his decisions during the last 30 seconds of regulation are mind boggling. Not a good day for Pop.
Old 06-19-13, 11:35 AM
The Master Baiter

Best coaching move he can do now is to try and get Manu suspended for his elbow to Lebron by sending an "anonymous" film clip to the league for review.
Old 06-19-13, 01:09 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

I keep hearing media folks say that Pop is some kind of great in-game strategist and yet Pop clearly said after this disaster, that they way the Spurs played the last few minutes was the way they always play that type of situation.
As Spurs fans we've known for years that he's stubborn and will play his favorites time and time again no matter how they're playing. I'm thinking maybe, just maybe this in-game strategist reputation thing might be just a wee bit overblown.
Old 06-19-13, 01:18 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
Best coaching move he can do now is to try and get Manu suspended for his elbow to Lebron by sending an "anonymous" film clip to the league for review.
That's a troll statement right there!
Old 06-19-13, 01:22 PM
SpursReport Team Member

What happened to the mean pop of old? I mean during the interview between quarters he's actually decent. Also he used to bench players as soon as they were out of control, now he let's Manu run wild and give away the game.
Old 06-19-13, 01:23 PM
SR 2010 Western Conference Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
That's a troll statement right there!
You should know about those
Old 06-19-13, 01:26 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm View Post
You should know about those
You must be a Bonner lover.
Old 06-19-13, 04:44 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I think our NBA is dead. It died years ago and the Sterns of the organization killed it. It's about who is the new hotness, marketing and above all; money! I feel a lot of drama is thrown into the game now instead of letting the players play a pure game. I feel that game was ment to go the way it did to force a game 7. That's just me but earning a billion dollars with a game 7 makes one think.
Old 06-19-13, 07:44 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:

The Spurs have been giving Lebron a 4 foot cusion all series because his outside shot hasn't been consistent. I think its safe to assume that the chance the ball comes off the rim is high. It only makes sense we have someone in there besides Leonard that can rebound.
Old 06-19-13, 08:11 PM
SpursReport Team Member

POP was told by the league office that they needed a game 7 . ENOUGH SAID.
Old 06-20-13, 01:52 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster View Post
POP was told by the league office that they needed a game 7 . ENOUGH SAID.
Absolutely! And the league is fixed so that the Lakers win. Whatever. Game six should have been ours but it didn't end that way. Moving on.....
Old 06-20-13, 02:09 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Another thing that hadn't been mentioned yet, why the heck was tiago in the game when we needed a 3? Why not put bonner in? I'm not saying bonner is the best but at least it makes the heat defend another player who could make a 3.
Old 06-20-13, 12:44 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Tiago was in to set screens. Bonner wasn't in because, well, he's Bonner.
Old 06-20-13, 12:47 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabspur View Post
Tiago was in to set screens. Bonner wasn't in because, well, he's Bonner.
Bonner would have been a better threat on the last play but he doesn't set great screens.