News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 06-17-13, 12:17 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Danny Green Questions

1. Does Danny Green have a future here in SA?

2. Has his play been the results of the Big 3's play or is he becoming a big time baller?

3. What's his contract status?

4. Just curious on this last question(and don't rip me plz..lol) but is he tradable ala George Hill?

Thanks in advance. I enjoy yalls knowledge of the Spurs.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-17-13, 12:26 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Spurs signed him to a reasonable contract before this year. I think he has two more years on that contract.

My sense is that Danny is getting to be a tough defender. The shooting is off-the-charts right now and certainly has much to do with TP's drive-and-dish moves.

He hasn't shown the ability to get to the rim.

He has certainly worked his butt off to earn a spot in the league. Got cut three times and wouldn't take no for an answer. He has developed a great motor.

If the Spurs were inclined to move him, this off-season would be the time because the Finals have been a personal highlight reel for him.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-17-13, 12:33 PM
SR 2013 Pick the Winner Champ & Rookie of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckennaspur1 View Post
Spurs signed him to a reasonable contract before this year. I think he has two more years on that contract.

My sense is that Danny is getting to be a tough defender. The shooting is off-the-charts right now and certainly has much to do with TP's drive-and-dish moves.

He hasn't shown the ability to get to the rim.

He has certainly worked his butt off to earn a spot in the league. Got cut three times and wouldn't take no for an answer. He has developed a great motor.

If the Spurs were inclined to move him, this off-season would be the time because the Finals have been a personal highlight reel for him.
I'd hate to see him go and I doubt you could get anyone to do what he's doing for the same price at what he's doing it at. The only way I could see something happening is if we had to clear room or include him in a trade for a legit big man and since it seems to be that we have no chance of ever getting a decent player i doubt it would happen. But then again that's probably what I thought before we traded G Hill also.
Old 06-17-13, 12:39 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

I wouldn't want to see him go either. But the Spurs have a great deal to evaluate with free agency coming.

Splitter may be gone, opening a huge need for a big. Will Manu hang 'em up? If not, what kind of contract will he want? Can Neal replicate what Danny brings to the table? Will Nando turn into Manu Junior or is he simply an over-rated Euro player?

Who will lead the 2d unit next year?
Old 06-17-13, 12:42 PM
SpursReport Team Member

thanks.. I like him, he's been money this year and especially this series, and yes his defense has improved but with that being said look at other organization in sports and sometimes like you guys said above, you use breakout players to trade for other player/s to help continue to build this team.

I'm no expert but if there is someone in this years draft like a Kawhi Leonard type, I would pull the trigger to trade Green to get that special player. I just don't know if this year draft has that special player in the 16th on up range. Maybe trade him to the Cavs for the 19th pick but I don't know.

Just afraid he's a system player and once Manu and Tim leave his play goes down..Oh well if he stays for next few years I'm ok with it. FO knows best...thanks for the input. Hope they were not too dumb of questions. haha
Old 06-17-13, 12:43 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Yes he does, low maintenance, defensive, shooter and team guy. He could already shoot it's just great players makes others better. And ever Spurs have 3 great players, coaches and a system. And his tradable assests would be better packaged with line Tiago. You might be able to get a few guys with a one for one trade like J.R. Smith, Thompson from Golden State Wilson Chandler, Aaron Affalo or even Jamal Crawford. His finals performance will defiantly increase his value in the trade market. I think he has 3 years left on his contact and makes about 4.5 million a year. Green is like a house you bought and fixed up... You can keep it cause it looks good now or maybe you can flip it for something better.
Old 06-17-13, 01:22 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDAMAGE View Post
thanks.. I like him, he's been money this year and especially this series, and yes his defense has improved but with that being said look at other organization in sports and sometimes like you guys said above, you use breakout players to trade for other player/s to help continue to build this team.

I'm no expert but if there is someone in this years draft like a Kawhi Leonard type, I would pull the trigger to trade Green to get that special player. I just don't know if this year draft has that special player in the 16th on up range. Maybe trade him to the Cavs for the 19th pick but I don't know.

Just afraid he's a system player and once Manu and Tim leave his play goes down..Oh well if he stays for next few years I'm ok with it. FO knows best...thanks for the input. Hope they were not too dumb of questions. haha
I used to hate Danny "Air Ball" Green but he has improved big time. They need to keep him and trading him for a pick in a very shaky draft to me is not a good idea. Although I value the draft a lot it is still a gamble of sorts. One thing I like about the Spurs is their player development and scouting expertise. They find guys like Stephen Jackson, Devin Brown, Gary Neal and Green from the trash dumpsters and scrap piles to perform at a high level at normally low salaries for the most part. Some of it is player ability and potential but a lot of it also is player development and coaching. As far as the draft and taking a gamble.........I would wait till 2014 when the draft reloads more. There is dip in talent this year but some quality will be there still. I say move Bonner draft night and take advantage of his 1 million buck team buyout option. I can see the Spurs being active that night. They are looking good this summer cap wise.
Old 06-17-13, 01:27 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Fortunately, we don't have to worry about Green walking on his own terms any time soon -- he's signed through 2014-15. At that point, Manu will almost certainly have retired, and Green could be our star SG rather than our first-off-the-bench SG who just happens to start because we play Manu off the bench.

More likely, between now and then, Green comes back down to earth, settles into his contract a bit more, and continues to be an excellent role player.

The only problem with trading him is the salary-matching rule. Green gives us more for $4 million than any other $4 million dollar player would give us. We don't have any big expiring contracts to package with him, unless we sign-and-trade Tiago along with him. Of course, a sign-and-trade of Tiago is quite possible in the off-season given that he's a RFA, but honestly I don't think packaging Green with him would add much value to whatever we'd get in return.

I think we've got a nice position with Green. He isn't going anywhere for at least two seasons unless we trade him, and he brings us far more value than any trade for him would get us. I predict he'll be around at least through the end of our three-peat in 2015.
Old 06-17-13, 01:30 PM
SpursReport Team Member

thanks for the input guys
Old 06-17-13, 04:17 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

We see now why Pop kept bringing Green back. I go with the old adage a bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush. Be happy with what we got. Kawi, Green, Splitter, Baynes, and Parker. The future looks bright.