News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 06-16-13, 11:28 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Draft

I know the Spurs are in the middle of the Finals but the draft is 11 days away. Was wondering do you guys/gals see the Spurs going in any certain direction? What are you hoping for as far as a position? Thanks. Oh and Happy Father's Day to you Fathers out there. God Bless.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-16-13, 11:46 AM
Herman Cain of the board

This to me is a non star draft first off. Second to me it's a point guard and big man heavy draft. I think with a possible trade or buyout of Bonner and Blair moving on also maybe Splitter going too, I see a big man drafted. I know in the draft you go with the best guy. Thankfully there will be ones for the taking bigs wise. Spurs have a ton of point guards period. I see a big man from Brazil on the roster next year and it might not be Splitter. Keep an eye on Lucas Nogueira. He impressed NBA brass here in SA a few years ago at that under 18 international tournament. He was the guy who had the buzz when it ended. I will say his projection is #24-#27 but the Spurs will be a #28 so it can still happen if they stood pat. They might need to trade up to make it happen. But the only thing is that this draft is more like a "trade down" draft versus a "trade up" draft. Also the Spurs will have lots of FA money so they might not feel compelled to move up because then the draft pick gets more money and they might want to do the "draft and stash " move again to free up more money. Sticking to their pick without moving up or down.........I still say Lucas. Opinions?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-16-13, 12:55 PM
SR Team Goof

I like the idea of Nogueira coming to SA but having seen a lot of the mock drafts across the internet, they have him going in the range you spoke of (#24-27) or even earlier since he's caught the rest of world's attention. The only way I believe the Spurs have a chance at Nogueira is to trade up in the draft. Otherwise, at #28, it's the best that's still available in my mind.
Old 06-16-13, 02:40 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Except in years when the Spurs had the first pick, I'm not so sure that anyone has ever correctly named a Spurs draft pick.
Old 06-16-13, 02:49 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
Except in years when the Spurs had the first pick, I'm not so sure that anyone has ever correctly named a Spurs draft pick.
Wrong.

I picked Nando De Colo in the exact spot in the second round at #53 and the Spurs had two second rounders that year. That's as precise as it gets for an example for you. I had Jonas Jerebko in Blair's draft at #37 and the Spurs were very high on him but they didn't expect Blair to fall so far. Jerebko went to Detroit on the very next pick. Same draft I believe too.
Old 06-16-13, 04:25 PM
SR Team Goof

Well, I hope your intuition holds true again and we get a quality big man.
Old 06-16-13, 06:17 PM
SpursReport Team Member

If the Spurs took any of the following 4 I would be happy:

Nogueira

Tony Mitchell

Tony Snell

Sergey Karasev

I'm no draft guy, I just been looking at mocks and reading bout these guys and these 4 interest me for the Spurs. I'm sure FO will pick the right guy for us...
Old 06-16-13, 08:06 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Draft

NBA Draft 2013 - SBNation.com

Here is a good website for your Draft Fix. And I must concur with their assessment of the Spurs Draft.

Pop will choose the best player for the System. Danny Green could not crack the Cleveland line up- but with coaching and work Pop made him fit the Spurs.

Pop also likes Intelligence. There are so many athletes but to play Spurs ball you also need the brains..

I think that we might get a point guard or Small Forward. Supposedly- this is a weak draft and you draft the best player available. The Spurs can and will draft and stash. The league has become guard oriented. The Spurs always seem to draft the best player available.

Nate Wolters

James Southerland

Reggie Bullock
Old 06-16-13, 10:39 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDAMAGE View Post
If the Spurs took any of the following 4 I would be happy:

Nogueira

Tony Mitchell

Tony Snell

Sergey Karasev

I'm no draft guy, I just been looking at mocks and reading bout these guys and these 4 interest me for the Spurs. I'm sure FO will pick the right guy for us...
I like your picks but I don't view Snell as a first rounder. High second rounder though.
Old 06-16-13, 11:06 PM
Herman Cain of the board

TRADE BONNER DRAFT NIGHT!
Old 06-17-13, 11:01 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Hey Will this guy seems intriguing:

Livio Jean-Charles PF France.
Old 06-17-13, 01:09 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:

Mouhammadou Jaiteh
Ht/Wt: 6-11 / 249 lbs
Position: C
Team: France

I like this French kid myself. Check him out. He has an NBA body already. He could grow even more since he is young.

Last edited by WILLTHETHRILL; 06-17-13 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-17-13, 11:33 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Well Jaiteh withdrew his name from the draft now. Oh well.
Old 06-18-13, 07:22 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Hey Will any prospects that are pure shooters like Curry and Thompson? haha.
Old 06-18-13, 11:49 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Jeff Withey - C, Kansas
7'0", 235 lbs.
Mobile big, can score in the low post, natural shot-blocker. Upper body got a lot stronger at Kansas but he'll never be confused with Dwight or LeBron. He'll be a rotation guy and borderline starter for the next decade. Plus R.C.'s son was his college teammate so they've probably have a more detailed scouting report on him than any other team.

Last edited by LAsucksForever; 06-18-13 at 11:51 PM.
Old 06-18-13, 11:50 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsucksForever View Post
Jeff Withey - C, Kansas
7'0", 235 lbs.
Mobile big, can score in the low post, natural shot-blocker. Upper body got a lot stronger at Kansas but he'll never be confused with Dwight or LeBron. He'll be a rotation guy and borderline starter for the next decade.
stiff
Old 06-19-13, 07:39 AM
SpursReport Team Member

After watching these Finals I'm wanting a scoring Point guard to help when TP is not playing. No more Neal or Manu and I don't think CJ is the answer.

If no point guard then a player(shooting guard)that can create his own shot and make things happen to score points...

ugh so upset we lost game 6
Old 06-19-13, 01:29 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Hey Will any prospects that are pure shooters like Curry and Thompson? haha.
Ben McLemore might be the one. He will go super high though.
Old 06-27-13, 09:40 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:

Well he looks like he has talent..just hate the stash and wait game..
Old 06-28-13, 12:45 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:

bingo!