News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-13, 04:10 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Game 5 Adjustments - What does everyone think?

What's up everybody? Just wanted to see if anyone saw some positives from last nights game. We all know the negatives: the turnovers, lack of ball movement, and D Wade's ugly face. There were some bright spots and I feel that a couple of things could be done to try and get Spurs basketball back on track.
  1. Boris Diaw
    In the limited minutes that Boris played he was effective. He was active in the paint and looked for his shot. He had a couple of high-low post plays with Tim that lead to freethrows for Timmy. Placing Boris at the high post opens up a few more options for the Spurs.
  2. Passing out of the double team pressure earlier
    This is what got us in trouble yesterday. I feel that the pressure came quickly yesterday and our players did not adjust at all. The Heat came aggressive with their double teams which were well past the 3 point line which flustered our guards and forced them into bad passes. If our players pass out early, more ball movement can be experienced.
  3. Setting screens earlier to free the guards up
    Since the pressure is almost near halfcourt at times, send a big to set a screen early to free up the guard or at least give him the angle to make the extra pass. Again, this will lead to more ball movement and SPURS BASKETBALL.
  4. Remind our bigs how to pump fake
    The Heat are dying to block shots and our bigs are playing right into their hands by not playing smarter. Tiago was excellent all year long at going up and under to finish on the other side of the rim. I just think him and Tim are rushing their shots a little and need to bring it back to basics. Heat defenders are willing leapers and we need to use it against them. Even a pump fake will get them in the air and can draw a foul. Tiago may be too slow for the swarming defense of the Heat so maybe getting him his shots near the lower blocks will prevent him from getting blocked directly in the middle of the paint.

Those are a few things I feel could be done to come away with a game 5 victory. Please weigh in with your thoughts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-14-13, 04:29 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I feel #4 is the most important. There was at least 6 times when I thought we had a sure layup or dunk but we could not finish. Thats 12 points right there. If we had finished those we would have won the game.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-14-13, 04:42 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I feel #4 is important for momentum purposes. How demoralizing was it to have everything in the paint sent away? Granted I felt like a couple of those Bosh blocks were goaltends. Mike Miller getting the first block of his career was also pathetic. We left a lot of points on the table with missed free throws and easy layups. Playing fundamentally sound basketball would help a lot.
Old 06-14-13, 04:47 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

How about

5. Move the freaking ball!

When the Spurs are moving the ball, they are unstoppable. When they start dribbling/shooting early/stand around, they are easily stoppable.

And maybe tell Manu he is only allowed to assist. No shots.
Old 06-14-13, 04:55 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post
How about

When the Spurs are moving the ball, they are unstoppable. When they start dribbling/shooting early/stand around, they are easily stoppable.

Manu problem is passing too much. Last game he had 3 or 4 amazing passes but our big men are not athletic enough to finish.
Old 06-14-13, 05:04 PM
SR 2013 Pick the Winner Champ & Rookie of the Year

#4 +100000000

I dont know what was going on, maybe the were just anxious or what but they had no patience around the basket. it was like they had to get the shot up right away and every time the defenders would go up and since they are longer and more athletic, would get the block.
Old 06-14-13, 05:05 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post
How about

I agree katyspursfan. We are at our best when the ball flies all over the court. The problem with yesterday's game was our inability to beat the pressure and traps. The Heat forced us into those mistakes. It's our turn to make adjustments to beat the scheme they are implementing. That's why I feel that #2 and #3 would help out a lot in initiating that movement.

As far as Manu goes, only he can solve that problem. He needs to know that the offense goes as he goes. Barkely said that he has NEVER seen Manu be so passive. Makes me wonder if he's more hurt than he's letting on. If not, he needs to know that attacking the basket will allow him to make better passes since he is sucking in the defense. The defense is giving him that outside shot because they know that he isn't confident. In game 3, he was assertive in the first half with the dunks and lay ups. If we get that Manu, things will open up for him and the Spurs. The question is if Pop will make the adjustments to make it easier for Manu to find those lanes.

Last edited by TRUTH; 06-14-13 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-14-13, 05:14 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesuspence281 View Post
#4 +100000000

I dont know what was going on, maybe the were just anxious or what but they had no patience around the basket. it was like they had to get the shot up right away and every time the defenders would go up and since they are longer and more athletic, would get the block.
It's frustrating to watch thesuspence281. I don't know if it's because Timmy has lost all that weight, but I would like to see him clear space like he used to do. Give a bump to the defender, get some space, lay it up, suck the soul out of Chris Bosh, and repeat. Tiago on the other hand is out there like he's afraid of catching cooties. Bump somebody. You are 6 freaking 11. Clear space so you can get your weird ass hook shot up comfortably.
Old 06-14-13, 06:30 PM
The Master Baiter

Alot of the blocks were from Wade and James coming from their man. That means their man is open, and with some patience they could have found that open man or done a pump fake. Wade and James were playing hero ball on defense, they need to make them pay. I'm sure they will figure it out.
Old 06-15-13, 01:33 AM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Here are my two cents on needed Spurs adjustments.

1. Spurs need to RE ASSERT their Defensive Rotation and never allow any SUPER CONFIDENCE BUILDER FREAKING Miami DUNKS and abusive Fast breaks.

Tighten Up the heck out of that Paint Defense and make Miami go back to shoot jump shots again. Make Miami players afraid to come close or make them earn it from FT if you have too but don't allow dunks or layups. Crowd that Paint area and cut out those passing lanes. Don't let them pass or advance to the paint. Stop them. Block them. Scare them... Do whatever you have to do but never give them any confidence or you are done!!! For the LOVE of God don't be PASSIVE be more ASSERTIVE and AGGRESSIVE! Fight Back strongly! DEFEND your PAINT!

POP needs to play Spurs players who play Better Defense LONGER minutes.

Bottom Line PRESSURE DEFENSE won us games 1 and 3 and we need to come back to that and play with a MUCH MORE SENSE OF URGENCY!!

We already know Spurs need to rebound as hell especially the defensive rebounds for our Spurs.......And we already know Turn overs are a no no....

2. Pop needs to keep the same starting line up however shorten that rotation and not play other than Manu, Neal, Diaw, and of course Joseph. The rest reserves should not play because we want to win now and those are our best bet IMO for defensive purposes.

3. Keep Tony Parker fresh to close the game.... None can close it except the MVP TP.... Please Pop play him fewer minutes to last for the fourth. We need him to close for us the next two games.

4. All Spurs players need to be MUCH MORE AGGRESSIVE on the OFFENSIVE End. Try to ATTACK the basket and get the call or the basket. Especially those super stars TD, Manu, And TP since they are most likely to get the calls. But be a little more crafty with that ball as you mentioned in your #4 TRUTH.

I believe Pop and his coaching staff are dissecting that film of game 4 over and over and will find those adjustments with our Spurs during this time between now and Sunday!

Go Spurs Go!
Old 06-15-13, 01:42 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

We can make all the adjustments in the world, it isn't going to matter: we'll win Game 5 on the Heat's complacency. When the Heat want to win, they win. They just get so complacent because of how rarely they're truly challenged and because, in their experience, they can always win when they need to. We'll win Game 5 because they'll borderline take the game off, and then they'll be shocked in Game 6 when the Spurs don't back down the way the Pacers did.
Old 06-15-13, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyner View Post
We can make all the adjustments in the world, it isn't going to matter: we'll win Game 5 on the Heat's complacency. When the Heat want to win, they win. They just get so complacent because of how rarely they're truly challenged and because, in their experience, they can always win when they need to. We'll win Game 5 because they'll borderline take the game off, and then they'll be shocked in Game 6 when the Spurs don't back down the way the Pacers did.

Very possible based on the past trend Joyner.

This will not happen that naturally!!! Spurs must still work so hard to get the Win IMO....

Spurs must IMPOSE Their WILL power again especially since Spurs need that momentum going to Miami. They wet their bed game 4 and now they need to go to Miami to close them.

Not that worried about my Spurs.
They will bounce back game 5 and win.
Old 06-15-13, 03:03 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyner View Post
Great POST JOYNER! Damn good post.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 06-15-13, 03:46 AM

I read somewhere yesterday that not only us Spurs fans, but most America would love to see Spurs win this series and the HEAT to never get any Freaking B2B Championships.

The majority of America are watching the series and rooting for the Spurs not necessarily because they are Spurs fans but more likely because they are HEAT Haters!

Last edited by spurscrazed; 06-15-13 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-15-13, 12:49 PM
SpursReport Team Member

When Duncan and splitter roll to the basket, they can get the ball within ten feet... Heat are sending a man fast from weakside and splitter/ Duncan are having trouble finishing or passing.. I would use the p&r to get the good position and send a cutter from weakside. Or just start out with 4 down. Also fast breaking a little more might generate some flow
Is our defense that good? I think so. And the scary part is that the whole team seems to take a sadistic pride in shutting people down. What is Pop feeding them? They looked brainwashed out there, a single minded machine that just eats up their opponents. -----pjrfan
Old 06-15-13, 02:17 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Crowd needs to be louder. Guys please be get there for the start of the 3rd quarter. The beginning of the second half is when teams come out flat and we can take advantage to make a run,but crowd energy needs to be there.