News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 06-14-13, 01:22 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Move Manu into the starting lineup

I think it's time.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-14-13, 02:57 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

That is our only shot now, they have to do that.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-14-13, 05:17 AM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Why? As poorly as he's playing if his name was anything but Manu, he'd be plastered to the bench. He's never needed to be a starter to play well, the Spurs have never needed him to start to play well.
Old 06-14-13, 07:12 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Worth a shot IMHO ... Might just be the thing that will finally light a fire under his butt !!! While he's not the manu of old I believe it's inside him somewhere and the vote of confidence might be just what he needs ! I still like our chances in the finals but if this would work I can guarantee you Spurs would bring home # 5 !!!

" 01000110 01110101 01100011 01101011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01001100 01100001 01101011 01100101 01110010 01110011 "
Old 06-14-13, 08:37 AM
The Master Baiter

Might happen. The Heat had to move Miller to their starting lineup to adjust. But if they did that, he'd have to play more minutes, because that second unit would be horrible.
Old 06-14-13, 09:06 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

i prefeer move diaw to the starting lineup to add passing and spacing to first unit without sacrifice playmaking of second unit, and make manu create for the others unless had really open look...

edit: in this series i think diaw and blair can put better performance than splitter... seems like miami is not his best matchup, he can still sub timmy to avoid sacrifice size in the paint when timmy sits...

Last edited by JuanCaca; 06-14-13 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-14-13, 09:30 AM

I agree with the moving of Diaw into the starting lineup rather than Manu. Sorry, but Manu isn't making the kind of decisions that need to be made and besides who do you drop out of the lineup, Green? we need his shooting, Leonard?, we need his defense, Tony? That's just be plain dumb, Tim? Not even for a second, so let's see that leaves Tiago, ok and what do we get in return for that switchoff? nada, nothing, zip....

However, putting Diaw back into the starting lineup gives the Spurs flexibility to match up with the kind of lineup the Heat played last night.
Old 06-14-13, 10:58 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racspur View Post
Worth a shot IMHO ... Might just be the thing that will finally light a fire under his butt !!! While he's not the manu of old I believe it's inside him somewhere and the vote of confidence might be just what he needs ! I still like our chances in the finals but if this would work I can guarantee you Spurs would bring home # 5 !!!
Not sure I understand this. Most coaches bench players to light a fire under their butt but we are gonna "reward" Manu by putting him in the starting lineup. I don't think that is the answer.

It's 2-2. No reason to panic just yet. Very few teams have swept the middle three games of the Finals. Limit TO's (<10), win the 50/50 ball battle, play solid defense and win the rebound battle and you can win games.
Old 06-14-13, 11:17 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Historically whenever Pop moves Manu into the starting lineup, Manu has played really well.
Old 06-14-13, 02:27 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

We're three days removed from the third-largest margin of victory in NBA Finals history -- I don't think this is the time for DOOMZ kneejerk reactions.
Old 06-14-13, 02:47 PM
SpursReport Rookie

In fact, that´s not a bad idea. Manu has to carry the 2nd unit vs Miami startes most of the time. Can U recall the last open shot he took? If his confidence dissapered, its time to get open looks w/TP and TD getting doubled.
PONGAN HUEVO SPURS!
Old 06-14-13, 02:51 PM
SR 2010 Western Conference Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyner View Post
We're three days removed from the third-largest margin of victory in NBA Finals history -- I don't think this is the time for DOOMZ kneejerk reactions.
This is SpursReport for crying out loud
That's just what we all do in here :drummer
Old 06-14-13, 03:15 PM
Herman Cain of the board

bench Splitter
Old 06-14-13, 05:05 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I actually like the idea of Manu in the starting lineup, if the heat stick with Miller. Typically, I like his offense coming off the bench, and starting him would seriously hurt our bench production. But with the way Neal is shooting, and Manu is struggling, and with having Tiago come off the bench, it may not be a bad idea to match up with the Heat small ball, and not hurt our bench much. Manu still needs to step it up, but playing with Timmy and Tony to start the game could be what he needs. Starting Diaw wouldn't be bad, but I would move him over to guard Miller to start. Pop had Tiago on Wade to start game 4. That was a bit curious.
Old 06-14-13, 05:46 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm View Post

Old 06-14-13, 11:06 PM
Moderator &amp; Chatroom Greeter

lol
[email protected]
Old 06-15-13, 02:20 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Might not be a bad idea. He already can't carry the bench anymore so that shouldn't matter. He comes in cold having to have sat there all that time between warm ups and coming in several minutes after. He can't just automatically be warmed up and ready to play like he used to. It takes him a lot longer. Also with Tony and Tim in there it might take a lot of pressure for him to produce and might get him some ways to be successful.
Old 06-15-13, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm View Post
And we do it better than anybody else in the universe! :applause
Old 06-16-13, 07:58 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
I think it's time.

" 01000110 01110101 01100011 01101011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01001100 01100001 01101011 01100101 01110010 01110011 "
Old 06-16-13, 09:57 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

GOOD CALL SCARLET!!!!!

MANU FREAKING GINOBILIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Old 06-16-13, 10:19 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
I'll take my crow with a side of mashed potatoes and a heaping helping of gravy, thanks!
Old 06-16-13, 10:22 PM
SR Team Goof

G-I-N-O-B-I-L-I !!!!
Old 06-16-13, 10:22 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Good call, Scarlet.
Old 06-16-13, 10:31 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabspur View Post
I actually like the idea of Manu in the starting lineup, if the heat stick with Miller. Typically, I like his offense coming off the bench, and starting him would seriously hurt our bench production. But with the way Neal is shooting, and Manu is struggling, and with having Tiago come off the bench, it may not be a bad idea to match up with the Heat small ball, and not hurt our bench much. Manu still needs to step it up, but playing with Timmy and Tony to start the game could be what he needs. Starting Diaw wouldn't be bad, but I would move him over to guard Miller to start. Pop had Tiago on Wade to start game 4. That was a bit curious.
You nailed it. If Miller doesn't start again...which he won't, he should go back to the bench.
Old 06-16-13, 10:32 PM
SpursReport Rookie

One more of those, we have ring #5. Lets see if the Heat go back to Haslem starting instead of Miller.
Old 06-16-13, 10:37 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Manu has his mojo back!
Old 06-16-13, 10:42 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
I agree with the moving of Diaw into the starting lineup rather than Manu. Sorry, but Manu isn't making the kind of decisions that need to be made and besides who do you drop out of the lineup, Green? we need his shooting, Leonard?, we need his defense, Tony? That's just be plain dumb, Tim? Not even for a second, so let's see that leaves Tiago, ok and what do we get in return for that switchoff? nada, nothing, zip....

However, putting Diaw back into the starting lineup gives the Spurs flexibility to match up with the kind of lineup the Heat played last night.
That idea didn't work out so well
Old 06-16-13, 10:49 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by steefposton View Post
Well the key point also was removing Splitter. Mike Miller plays small. The Manu move made more sense yes. Mojo or not on paper.
Old 06-16-13, 10:50 PM
The Master Baiter

Diaw on Lebron actually worked pretty well.
Old 06-16-13, 10:54 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
I'll take my crow with a side of mashed potatoes and a heaping helping of gravy, thanks!
and 10 million per year for Splitter too!
Old 06-16-13, 11:35 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Obviously a great bounce back game from Manu. Putting him into starting lineup was a pretty straight forward adjustment when the Heat went to Miller. I also think it helped Manu in that he was playing along side Tony, Tim, Kawhi, and Danny. He didn't have to carry the load playing along side the likes if Bonner, Splitter, , Neal, and Joseph as an entire unit. Got him going with our first unit, them rotated some bench players in after he was in the flow. Again, I can see the Heat going back to starting Haslem.
Old 06-16-13, 11:39 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

my only concern, is the very bad bench production...

starters played a lot, and if manu and timmy didnt have enough stamina next game, i hope bench rise their numbers, or we are screwed...
Old 06-16-13, 11:41 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanCaca View Post
my only concern, is the very bad bench production...

starters played a lot, and if manu and timmy didnt have enough stamina next game, i hope bench rise their numbers, or we are screwed...
Everybody played under 40 minutes for the Spurs. The Heat had two players at 40 minutes or more. The pressure is on the Heat now.
Old 06-16-13, 11:46 PM
The Master Baiter

Yeah, play them more. You managed their minutes in the regular season exactly for this reason. If the original big 3 match the production of the fake big 3, the Spurs role players are better than theirs, and you get a win.
Old 06-17-13, 12:18 AM
SR 2013 Pick the Winner Champ & Rookie of the Year

I also thought diaw kept lebron from overpowering him in the paint like the way he throws around kawhi and green when he gets down in the post. I like having him on him and that way it essentially keeps him from enforcing his will down low and forces him to take outside shots. Now if we could only clean up the offensive rebounds we will be in good shape. More Diaw on lebron!
Old 06-17-13, 12:30 AM
SpursReport Team Member

If Heat start Birdman or Haslem, should we start Manu again? If not who gets start?

Chalmers - Parker
Wade - Manu
James - Green
Bosh - Leonard
Anderson/Haslem - Duncan

I just don't think that can work for us. We would have to start Splitter here. Green is too hot to bench and Kawai is on LeBron duty.
Old 06-17-13, 12:33 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Haslem is not much of a threat anymore. TD will be on Bosh either way.
Old 06-17-13, 12:37 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
Haslem is not much of a threat anymore. TD will be on Bosh either way.
I've noticed Duncan usually mans up on the more offensively inept big when they have 2 so he can help off on Wade or James.
Old 06-17-13, 12:45 AM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Manu starting was SUPERIOR MOVE! Manu got his Confidence and Rhythm back PLUS he gave GREAT ASSISTS! I knew Manu had it in his BLODD= CHAMPIONSHIP BLOOD and DNA!!

So proud of our Manu!!

Go Manu!
You all Rock ROCK ROCK! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Old 06-17-13, 05:32 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polk View Post
Not sure I understand this. Most coaches bench players to light a fire under their butt but we are gonna "reward" Manu by putting him in the starting lineup. I don't think that is the answer.

It's 2-2. No reason to panic just yet. Very few teams have swept the middle three games of the Finals. Limit TO's (<10), win the 50/50 ball battle, play solid defense and win the rebound battle and you can win games.
I'll take my crow with a little hot sauce. Makes it taste just like chicken.
Old 06-17-13, 07:46 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polk View Post
I'll take my crow with a little hot sauce. Makes it taste just like chicken.
It's all good ... No Harm No Foul !!! I was actually surprised ( and pumped ) Pop Tried it !!!

Old 06-17-13, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steefposton View Post
Well since Diaw wasn't in the starting lineup, we'll never know. In case you weren't paying attention what did work out really, really well was when Diaw was in the game on LeBron it had a dramatic impact on LeBron's game. James wasn't able to overpower Diaw and have his way inside and that was just as important as anything else in the game.
Old 06-17-13, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racspur View Post
It's all good ... No Harm No Foul !!! I was actually surprised ( and pumped ) Pop Tried it !!!
Everybody watching was surprised and really glad that it worked out. :applause
Old 06-17-13, 08:46 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
Historically whenever Pop moves Manu into the starting lineup, Manu has played really well.
then I say leave him in there for sure!

Isn't that what all the fans in Argentina have been saying for ever?

Looks like they were right!
Old 06-17-13, 01:30 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I think the key to stopping LeBron is to give him all those different looks. He can't overpower Diaw, but he can drive against him. He can't drive against Kawhi, but he can bully him. Switching up the looks, though, keeps him from getting in a rhythm and forces him to keep rethinking his approach.
Old 06-17-13, 01:56 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Joyner, you are correct, giving James different looks makes him have to think , which slows down his overall game.
Old 06-17-13, 03:01 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpur View Post

*coughATHENEAcough*

Old 06-17-13, 06:14 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpur View Post

I'm fine with Pop doing the coaching. No offense to the Argentinians.