SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   Sources say Dwight Howard has 3 Texas teams on free agency radar (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/119743-sources-say-dwight-howard-has-3-texas-teams-free-agency-radar.html)

SilverSpur 06-13-13 09:17 AM

Sources say Dwight Howard has 3 Texas teams on free agency radar

Steve Kyler: Sources also say that the field for Howard's free agency has widened considerably... Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, San Antonio, LA and Brooklyn Twitter @stevekylerNBA

Uwe Blab 06-13-13 09:19 AM

I know people here hate him, but you'd be crazy if you didn't want him playing for the Spurs. It would certainly open that window a little more.

ALSPURS 06-13-13 09:47 AM

@24writer: “@stevekylerNBA: San Antonio has just $32.8 million in salary commits and could have as much as $26 million in capspace in July.”

$$$$$$$ Wow!

tuncaboylu 06-13-13 09:58 AM

I can't imagine what can happen with a line-up with TP-Green-Leonard-Duncan-Howard and Manu on the reserve.

But as far as I know Spurs is not 32.8 million salary if Diaw opts in.

Spurd_On 06-13-13 10:37 AM

It has to be true. It comes from sources.

Spurs Rulez 06-13-13 11:24 AM

I know we need to look to the future...but I dont think I want Dwight at that price. Would cripple us for years to come.

JuanCaca 06-13-13 11:26 AM

only if we keep diaw and manu...

but is he smart enough to play in SA?

stuffedmushroomz 06-13-13 12:21 PM

I opened up a thread on this exact Topic!!!

If he really wants to Win, he would take less money. Its not that complicated, PoP would simplify the whole scenario for him.

Look IF Howard is in fact considering the Spurs, he knows Pop will not take any Drama Queen shenanigans. All the Attention will be defused by the unengaging personality of the Team towards the media. San Antonio Would be the Perfect home for a Up & Coming team.

Yes! I said Up & Coming!!!
Green, Neal, Leonard, Joseph, Tiago, Bynes & Veteran Tony would be an exciting team to watch once TD & Manu are done.
Not to mention De Colo, Diaw, it would be interesting to see if it actually becomes real talk.

joyner 06-13-13 12:22 PM

Dwight Howard will never be a Spur. Period.

Jose_TheGenius 06-13-13 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uwe Blab (Post 1299272)
I know people here hate him, but you'd be crazy if you didn't want him playing for the Spurs. It would certainly open that window a little more.

+1

scary how we're agreeing so much nowadays huh? :lol

Howard on his worst day plays better than Splitter and (by WillTheThrill's numerology) is slated to make around $10 mill. a hurt Howard this year is worth $8 mill more than that Tiago price.

if we can let Splitter walk for Howard, you're talking about a new dimension on the offense. Howard can now get touches in the paint, something Tiago can't do successfully. Howard can pick and roll with TP while TD spots up (something Tiago can do, but Howard can finish strong).

the gripe in LA is simple: the Lakers are trying to please Nash & Kobe with that style. everyone knows that style doesn't work. if you criticize D'Antoni, you're on Howard's side and vice versa. if Howard comes to SA, he'll be a part of the offense on every player and he can defend the paint athletically with TD being able to block shots too. Chip can help him out with his free throw shooting too.

if we can renounce anyone we can and keep our starting 1-4 while adding Howard, the league will be on notice.

WILLTHETHRILL 06-13-13 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius (Post 1299301)
+1

scary how we're agreeing so much nowadays huh? :lol

Howard on his worst day plays better than Splitter and (by WillTheThrill's numerology) is slated to make around $10 mill. a hurt Howard this year is worth $8 mill more than that Tiago price.

if we can let Splitter walk for Howard, you're talking about a new dimension on the offense. Howard can now get touches in the paint, something Tiago can't do successfully. Howard can pick and roll with TP while TD spots up (something Tiago can do, but Howard can finish strong).

the gripe in LA is simple: the Lakers are trying to please Nash & Kobe with that style. everyone knows that style doesn't work. if you criticize D'Antoni, you're on Howard's side and vice versa. if Howard comes to SA, he'll be a part of the offense on every player and he can defend the paint athletically with TD being able to block shots too. Chip can help him out with his free throw shooting too.

if we can renounce anyone we can and keep our starting 1-4 while adding Howard, the league will be on notice.

I hope if Splitter gets big money it's not from the Spurs.

tabspur 06-13-13 03:51 PM

I think Pop is stating his case to Howard during the playoffs, and particularly the finals. His sales job is being done for him by the Spurs body of work, and the medias recognition of it. I'm not counting on Howard signing, but it wouldn't surprise me at all. It could also rejuvenate Pop for a few more years. With our Euro stashes, Pops track record, and our organization, Howard signing with us wouldn't be a shock. And probably a great move for him.

MRJONESIII 06-13-13 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL (Post 1299320)
I hope if Splitter gets big money it's not from the Spurs.

Hallelujah..... But it'll come down to more money or title runs! Can he deal with a very strong minded coach, hall of fame players, accountability, small market? All he needs to do is look at Mr. Robinson and The Big Fundamental.... Nuff said. How many big market teams have won a title in the last 20 years? I just don't think he has the common sense to see the opportunity... Sure would help rebuild his crappy rep.

alh1020 06-13-13 05:08 PM

I have to agree with Uwe and Jose’s assessment above, but I want it known that I’m not a Dwight Howard fan. This guy creates too much drama and media attention for those around him and might detract from the Spurs as a team. However, the skills this guy possesses is awesome and if the Spurs were to corral him, we could be looking at the making for another Finals run, instantly. But he has to be gotten with a reasonable contract that will not cripple the Spurs in the future, in the event Howard wants to start calling press conferences at his pleasure and the Spurs can drop him like a hot rock. With Howard wearing the silver and black, the team dynamic would be mind boggling but someone needs to sit down with this kid and explain the facts of life to him. All in all, if he can be gotten for a reasonable price and has Pop's thumbs up OK stamp on it, I’ll jump on board. I just hope Howard doesn't take all summer to decide where he's going to sign/play and doesn't cripple the Spurs' signing other available free agents, if we have cap remaining.

exit7 06-13-13 05:53 PM

Not gonna happen, I would rather see them go after Hibbert if, or when he is available. How many times do we have to hear about big name free agents naming the spurs as a possible destination, only to find out its not happening, before we realize these players don't really care about winning as much as they do money?

katyspursfan 06-13-13 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit7 (Post 1299335)
Not gonna happen, I would rather see them go after Hibbert if, or when he is available. How many times do we have to hear about big name free agents naming the spurs as a possible destination, only to find out its not happening, before we realize these players don't really care about winning as much as they do money?

If he wants to win for years, then maybe Houston would be a better decision. Probably not in '14, but in the next couple years. Better LONG term.

Then again, if he wants to win for years, maybe San Antonio is the better choice. Maybe '14, but a quick step down when Timmy leaves (and Tony turns 33). Better SHORT term, questionable long term.

I think we can all agree that Dallas isn't that team.

Just because he would choose another team doesn't mean he is just looking for money.

DDAMAGE 06-13-13 06:17 PM

When exactly does free agency begin and end? Thanks.

alh1020 06-13-13 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDAMAGE (Post 1299340)
When exactly does free agency begin and end? Thanks.

Believe it starts 1 July and don't think there's an end date. Then again I might be wrong about the latter.

drcantgetright 06-13-13 07:28 PM

I don't want tiago back at $10 mil. I don't want Howard at $18 mil. Now if one of the Utah bigs can come over for $10 mil, I am interested. But maybe I am just cheap ;)

DDAMAGE 06-13-13 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alh1020 (Post 1299345)
Believe it starts 1 July and don't think there's an end date. Then again I might be wrong about the latter.

Thanks..

Jose_TheGenius 06-13-13 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit7 (Post 1299335)

Hibbert, at the end of the 2016 season with his player option.

we would have money. this isn't a "he needs to come over for the cheap to win" conversation. he could come over and get some change with Green/Leonard being on the cheap for now.

MichaelWi101 06-13-13 08:34 PM

For everyone who thinks that the Spurs have even the slightest chance to sign Howard, I have some beach front property just outside of Goodyear Az that I would like to talk to you about. :rolleyes

Guapo 06-16-13 01:26 AM

I hope the Lakers amnesty Kobe and he comes to SA instead. :)

WILLTHETHRILL 06-16-13 11:16 AM

I don't think SA is the market Howard wants. Not big enough. I would still talk to him either way.

TimmyDthaWay2B 06-16-13 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL (Post 1299672)
I don't think SA is the market Howard wants. Not big enough. I would still talk to him either way.

IDK.... Playing on the big stage in LA could have soured him on the big market/spotlight. What he needs is a place like SA. With that being said, doubtful it ever happens.

Mombear 06-16-13 12:24 PM

He's just using the Spurs like every other free agent to get what they want.... I wish they would just stop it already... and besides... Pop would have him in tears during every practice and every game... :lol

WILLTHETHRILL 06-16-13 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyDthaWay2B (Post 1299673)
IDK.... Playing on the big stage in LA could have soured him on the big market/spotlight. What he needs is a place like SA. With that being said, doubtful it ever happens.

I think Kobe and their crummy coach isn't worth the trouble. HTown is the best choice in my view.

alh1020 06-16-13 12:47 PM

Howard still has ties to his hometown of Atlanta, could be he might return to his roots and spread his wings. Could be the start of an Atlanta/San Antonio comparison: RC Buford/Pop/Duncan teaming up compared to Danny Ferry/Coach Bud/Howard. And they lived happily ever after.

drcantgetright 06-16-13 06:54 PM

Htown does not have the distributor that DH really needs to succeed. Neither does Atl but they could possibly afford chris paul too. What would be interesting is if Hou could shed some contracts to try for paul too.

JuanCaca 06-16-13 08:05 PM

something to count, is the bandwagon free agents, i mean, if SA manage to land dwight, theres always guys like ray allen, fisher etc, who join teams they think gonna take it all... imagine paul pierce coming for vet min....

WILLTHETHRILL 06-16-13 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcantgetright (Post 1299699)
Htown does not have the distributor that DH really needs to succeed. Neither does Atl but they could possibly afford chris paul too. What would be interesting is if Hou could shed some contracts to try for paul too.

Houston is way under the cap Paul or not. They can move some several contracts too as stated. Atlanta has Jeff Teague and he is a very decent young point guard BTW.

choppsboy 06-17-13 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mombear (Post 1299679)
He's just using the Spurs like every other free agent to get what they want.... I wish they would just stop it already... and besides... Pop would have him in tears during every practice and every game... :lol

+1

DDAMAGE 06-17-13 12:13 PM

On Mike and Mike today or yesterday, they said DH is trying to team up with CP3. Let those guys go to other teams and Spurs FO can do what they do best and build from the draft.:banana

buttsR4rebounding 06-17-13 12:53 PM

David West is a free agent. I think he could be a great fit especially in the $10 million range. I'd rather have him than Splitter at that price. He plays good defense, has a high basketball IQ, and can score from multiple spots on the floor.

b1gdon 06-17-13 01:30 PM

I've been all over the place with Howard. Let's say for a second that we get Howard. A Parker, Green, Leonard, Duncan, Howard lineup would be a defensive juggernaut. That is two hall of fame shot blockers, a developing all-NBA wing defender and another high quality wing defender. On offense, the Spurs can run high/low motion offense with Duncan and Howard. Playbook: Bynum and Gasol High-low Offense | THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE PHILADELPHIA 76ERS Duncan has developed an even better outside jump shot than Gasol.

The problem as I've stated before is that Howard is a poor fit in the Spurs culture. There can be no more sources close to player or with knowledge of situation leaking juicy tidbits to BSPN and the rest of the worthless press. Popovich would no longer tolerate Howard the man child. This is where that whole thing breaks down.

Guapo 06-17-13 06:47 PM

Ain't gonna happen and thank goodness for that!

e_93gsx 06-18-13 12:19 AM

It will never happen but even if it did is Dwight mentally tough enough to play for Pop? His Bball skills are undeniable but I do doubt his maturity. Now an amnestied Kobe playing for the Spurs...that's a rumor I could hear more of...

Rzarector7 06-18-13 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guapo (Post 1299661)
I hope the Lakers amnesty Kobe and he comes to SA instead. :)

Kobe here would make EVERY LA or KOBE fan should I say be mad for years lol! That would ruin their idols name for them lol! That being said NO, he is around 34 or so and coming off injury.

SPURSGIRL4Life 06-18-13 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuanCaca (Post 1299285)
only if we keep diaw and manu...

but is he smart enough to play in SA?

The fact that someone is inquiring whether he is smart enough is a bad sign to begin with! If you have to ask, the answer should be obvious. HAHA!

I'm not totally opposed to the idea but for selfish reasons I am against it. I wouldn't want his pay check influencing the price of tickets for us travelers.