News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 06-13-13, 09:11 AM
SR Team Goof

Nets hire Jason Kidd as head coach

The Nets announced Wednesday the hiring of Jason Kidd as their next head coach less than 10 days after the 10-time All-Star announced his retirement.

“On behalf of the Nets organization, I am very pleased to welcome Jason Kidd as the head coach of the Brooklyn Nets,” Nets GM Billy King said in a statement. “Jason is a proven winner and leader with an incredible wealth of basketball knowledge and experience. This will be a natural transition for him to move into the role of head coach, as he embodies the tough, smart and team-first mentality that we are trying to establish in Brooklyn.”

Yahoo! Sports reported earlier Wednesday that the Nets and Kidd were closing in on a four-year contract that may include a team option on the final year. ESPN.com reported that the Nets have opted to make Kidd their next head coach and informed Pacers assistant Brian Shaw, also a finalist for the position, that he was no longer in the mix. SI.com’s Chris Mannix confirmed that the two sides were finalizing a deal.

“Jason Kidd has a long and legendary history with the Nets and with the city of New York,” Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov said. “He has the fire in the belly we need, and has achieved as a player everything the Brooklyn Nets are striving to achieve. We believe he will lead us there. Welcome home, Jason.”

Kidd, 40, retired last week after a 19-year NBA career with the Mavericks, Suns, Nets and Knicks. Kidd led the Nets to the 2002 and 2003 Finals and won a title with the 2011 Mavericks.

Rest of story: The Point Forward - SI.com
Old 06-13-13, 09:22 AM
The Master Baiter

They are going to have to bring some good assistants for this to work.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-13-13, 10:42 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I'm happy for Kidd but it seems telling what the mindset of the Nets front office is by hiring a guy who is regionally popular even though he has no coaching experience.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-13-13, 01:19 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

This looks like another style-over-substance choice for Brooklyn.

Kidd was an amazing player, but (at this point) what makes him a better coaching candidate than vets like Brian Shaw?
Old 06-13-13, 01:25 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Good players generally does not equal good coaches. I wish him good luck.
Old 06-13-13, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
They are going to have to bring some good assistants for this to work.
Vinny Del Negro is free!!!!
Old 06-13-13, 01:42 PM
Delusional Manu Lover

I just don't see how you can hire somebody who has no head coaching experience to be your head coach. Before you say "Mark Jackson" let me just say that he is the exception he is not the rule. If head coaching were easy everybody could do it. There would be no need for assistants to ride the pine and pay their dues. This has to be some kind of Page Ranking move to sell tickets. I don't know, I can't see this working out. I can't get my mind around it. A little help?

"He said, 'Go for every pump fake,' " Hibbert said.
Old 06-13-13, 01:52 PM

i think the difference with Mark Jackson was he knows the position of PG, which helped for team leadership, and has a young team around him who wants to learn.

i think J-Kidd can do the same and do well but they're putting him with Deron Williams and veteran guys. that's the main reason why it won't work out.
Old 06-13-13, 02:45 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I think coach Bud would have been perfect. Run a spur-like system with a great point and very good center. They just need some knockdown shooters. Also goes to show you loyalties and hall of fame player, Brian Shaw has been in a assistant coach role for a while now and couldn't even get a sniff!
Old 06-13-13, 03:21 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I think coach Bud would have been perfect. Run a spur-like system with a great point and very good center. They just need some knockdown shooters. Also goes to show you loyalties and hall of fame player, Brian Shaw has been in a assistant coach role for a while now and couldn't even get a sniff!
Old 06-13-13, 04:17 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Mr. Jones, how do you think Bud would have done?

This seems to be more of a Page Ranking move than a basketball move. Especially how fast it happened.

And since the board can't interpret the initials of public relations correctly, this has absolutely nothing to do with Page Ranking.
Old 06-15-13, 02:57 AM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Nothing JKidd could have done more perfectly than these two attention grabbing things during the Finals.

1. Announce his retirement - During Finals week!!!!!
2. Get that Nets Head Coaching Job.....Hmm also during that finals week....
You all Rock ROCK ROCK! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Old 06-15-13, 02:26 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Kidd will continue the trend of great moral character in Brooklyn.
Old 06-15-13, 04:32 PM
Herman Cain of the board

I think he was hired before he retired. He left some money on the table with the Knicks. Seemed a little odd it came so quickly.
Old 06-15-13, 05:42 PM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
I think he was hired before he retired. He left some money on the table with the Knicks. Seemed a little odd it came so quickly.
Ok that makes sense then.
You all Rock ROCK ROCK! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!