SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   Opinion: Through three games, our MVP is Kawhi (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/119723-opinion-through-three-games-our-mvp-kawhi.html)

joyner 06-12-13 12:12 AM

Opinion: Through three games, our MVP is Kawhi

Not jinxing anything, not saying anything about the series as a whole or who wins the actual award, just saying through three games.

Who else could it possibly be? On the offensive end, Tony's far below his standards (13.3 points and 6.3 assists, compared to 20.3 and 7.6 in the regular season). Duncan's been solid, but not dominant, with 13.6 a game. Manu's been incredible at facilitating, but he has twice as many TOs as threes, averaging 8.3 points and 3.3 assists to go with 2 TOs/game. Meanwhile, Kawhi's grabbed 40 rebounds in three games, only two turnovers, two steals per game, and almost as much scoring as Tony and Timmy (11/game)... all the while almost single-handedly keeping the best basketball player on the planet over 10 points below his season scoring average.

Green's the only one that even holds a candle to Leonard so far, with solid defense and far-and-away a series-leading (for either team) 18.6 points/game.

I agree with the commentators after the game: the thing that should scare the Heat the most is that we've got a 2-1 lead coming off a 36-point win, and our Big 3 hasn't actually had to really play yet. The Heat will adjust and come out with new twists and wrinkles, but the Spurs have yet to do what made us great all season long.

esparzar1 06-12-13 12:44 AM

I hope so! He's averaging 11 pts/13 reb while dominating the best player in the world. Kawhi for MVP!!!!

thesuspence281 06-12-13 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esparzar1 (Post 1299051)
I hope so! He's averaging 11 pts/13 reb while dominating the best player in the world. Kawhi for MVP!!!!

+1 :banana

mckennaspur1 06-12-13 12:59 AM

Kawhi is growing up right before our eyes. Gonna be the face of the Spurs before long.

spursfan9 06-12-13 08:18 AM

HOPING TIM DUNCAN gets finals MVP!

2nd Kawhi Leonard for sure

pjm 06-12-13 09:53 AM

I agree Kawhi has been great these three games but I can see many people picking Green over Leonard right now.
Still, pretty impressive to have those two as the leading candidates for Finals MVP through three games :)

KAD 06-12-13 09:59 AM

Agree So far he is!

TimmyDthaWay2B 06-12-13 10:52 AM

I was calling him Mvp last night... Definately my choice for Mvp.

choppsboy 06-12-13 12:05 PM

I mostly agree, but Danny Green has D'ed up on Labron quite a bit as well, and doing a masterful job at it.

Both of these guys are playing out of their mind!

akaDRooPY 06-12-13 12:53 PM

Kawhi has been a monster! I was watching Kawhi during the 3rd quarter.... for about 6 straight off/def possessions Kawhi was all over the court getting steals, rebounds, scoring, assisting on fast breaks. He was all over the court making winning plays. This kid really is something special!

clovisnmspurfan 06-12-13 02:22 PM

A good indication of how both Green and Lenard are playing is the Heats final points (77).

MRJONESIII 06-12-13 02:24 PM

I don't care who scores what, rebounds... Whatever, when you're the guy who is guarding Lebron and keeping him from 25-30pts and just going off like he did against Indiana.... The MVP is a lock for him right now, once we hopefully close this thing out!

WILLTHETHRILL 06-12-13 02:32 PM

Danny Green has had 3 good to great games. It's Green all the way.

spurduncan21 06-12-13 02:33 PM

As of right now I think its between Duncan and Leornard. I think Green is third, but no way does Timmay not win it. Game 4 and the series comes down to game 4 and I know Timmay will be ready to impose his will in the low block when Miami tightens up its defense around the arc leaving Timmay1 on 1 without the double

WILLTHETHRILL 06-12-13 02:35 PM

Through 3 games and not two Spurs wins it's Green. That could change but right now it's Green. The award is for the whole series.

Jose_TheGenius 06-12-13 02:40 PM

well if Bruce was discussed for MVP in 2007 merely for his defense,

Kawhi should definitely be considered.

WILLTHETHRILL 06-12-13 02:42 PM

Manu could have easily been MVP in 2005. TD was deserving obviously.

spurduncan21 06-12-13 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL (Post 1299156)
Through 3 games and not two Spurs wins it's Green. That could change but right now it's Green. The award is for the whole series.

In the victories, Green has it, but throughout the series, Timmay's rebounding and Kawhi's Rebounding/D on LBJ trumps Green's scoring IMO. A hobbled Wade not making jumpers does not equate Kawhi's all around game. If Timmay boosts his scoring average in the upcoming games he'll win his 4th finals MVP. Book it!

Jose_TheGenius 06-12-13 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL (Post 1299156)

Ginobili played well throughout the first 3-4 games of the 2005 series. TD showed up for Game 7 and stole it.

it's not exactly for the whole series, especially if one guy tends to dominate the money quarter like TD did in Game 7.

joyner 06-12-13 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL (Post 1299161)
Manu could have easily been MVP in 2005. TD was deserving obviously.

IIRC, NBA Finals is voted on by nine people, and TD got five votes in 2005, Manu 4.

katyspursfan 06-12-13 05:34 PM

I hope Manu performs well enough in the remaining games to be MVP.
Shoot, I just hope he doesn't perform poorly enough to take Leonard, Duncan and Parker out of consideration.

TimmyDthaWay2B 06-12-13 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spurduncan21 (Post 1299163)
In the victories, Green has it, but throughout the series, Timmay's rebounding more Kawhi's Rebounding/D on LBJ trumps Green's scoring IMO. A hobbled Wade not making jumpers does equate Kawhi's all around game. If Timmay boosts his scoring average in the upcoming games he'll win his 4th finals MVP. Book it!

Especially Leonard on the offensive boards(13 through 3 games) ... For me it is Leonard because his defense on lebron has been been more effective than pretty much anyone in the league all season... Seems as if he steals the ball from lebron atleast twice a game...

clovisnmspurfan 06-12-13 06:22 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, isn't wonderful we are having this discussion? On the other side they have only one candidate.

Jose_TheGenius 06-12-13 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan (Post 1299199)
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, isn't wonderful we are having this discussion? On the other side they have only one candidate.

Mike Miller with his ridiculous 3-point shooting? :lol

Jose_TheGenius 06-12-13 06:31 PM

as corny as this sounds, hell i wouldn't mind having Danny Green and Kawhi Leonard as CO-MVP's at this point.

joyner 06-12-13 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius (Post 1299203)
as corny as this sounds, hell i wouldn't mind having Danny Green and Kawhi Leonard as CO-MVP's at this point.

As far as I know, the MVP is voted on by nine people, so the only way to get co-MVPs is with a split of 4-4-1, 3-3-3, or 2-2-2-2-1.

So, Duncan, Parker, Green, and Leonard are co-MVPs. Done and done.

clovisnmspurfan 06-13-13 02:33 PM

Jose, you are right, Mike Miller!

WILLTHETHRILL 06-13-13 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius (Post 1299169)
Ginobili played well throughout the first 3-4 games of the 2005 series. TD showed up for Game 7 and stole it.

it's not exactly for the whole series, especially if one guy tends to dominate the money quarter like TD did in Game 7.

It's an opinion by a panel of people. Razor thin it went to TD and I had no issue with that. I was just saying that Manu if he got it was deserving. It is meant to be for the whole series. In hockey it is for sure the series because the losing team could actually have the MVP of the series even in the Stanley cup Finals. It's happened before. The NBA MVP of the league is for the MVP of the league not for the most valuable to his own team. Playoffs it's not the same rules. But the people who vote decide that. The material they vote on is not the same but the actual meaning is the MVP of the series to the winning team. I doubt if TD averaged 20 and 10 the whole Finals and Bonner got 30 points in Game 7 hit the winning three at the buzzer on the road etc. that Bonner would get Finals MVP. Wouldn't happen.