SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   Projected SR Spurs player payroll(sad but true) (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/119710-projected-sr-spurs-player-payroll-sad-but-true.html)

WILLTHETHRILL 06-10-13 12:01 PM

Projected SR Spurs player payroll(sad but true)

This might seem a satire but all of these numbers have been used to pay these players for past or future contracts in recent memory.

The payroll you guys want or wanted to give to include actual salaries for next year:
* Actual salary for next season

Ginobili - $8 Million

Parker - $15 Million

Duncan - $13 Million

Splitter - $10 Million

Bonner - $3.9 Million*

De Colo - $1.4 Million*

Neal - $4 Million

McGrady - $1.4 Million (Vet minimum since people think he has game left)

Baynes - $789K*

Joseph - $1.1 Million*

Mills - $ 1.1 Million*

Diaw - $4.7 Million*

Green - $3.7 Million*

That's 13 players at around $68.2 Million. First round pick is at almost another $1 million and second rounder at around 470K. So right at the luxury tax for 15 players. And you guys think I'm crazy?? It's easy to say pay this guy this and that. But you add it up and you get this! TOO MUCH MONEY!

esparzar1 06-10-13 01:45 PM

don't we have Kawhi singed through next year as well?

MRJONESIII 06-10-13 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL (Post 1298875)
This might seem a satire but all of these numbers have been used to pay these players for past or future contracts in recent memory.

The payroll you guys want or wanted to give to include actual salaries for next year:
* Actual salary for next season

Ginobili - $8 Million

Parker - $15 Million

Duncan - $13 Million

Splitter - $10 Million

Bonner - $3.9 Million*

De Colo - $1.4 Million*

Neal - $4 Million

McGrady - $1.4 Million (Vet minimum since people think he has game left)

Baynes - $789K*

Joseph - $1.1 Million*

Mills - $ 1.1 Million*

Diaw - $4.7 Million*

Green - $3.7 Million*

That's 13 players at around $68.2 Million. First round pick is at almost another $1 million and second rounder at around 470K. So right at the luxury tax for 15 players. And you guys think I'm crazy?? It's easy to say pay this guy this and that. But you add it up and you get this! TOO MUCH MONEY!

If they pay Manu and Splitter that much, I'll be pretty upset. Not to mention Bonner too! Tiago still isn't that good to me.... No jumped, extremely limited post moves and not that great a shot blocker. Manu, maybe 5-6 million, and Splitter the same. Not to comfy on Tiago being there after Duncan. The time is now to build for Tony and Leonard,even Green.

Jose_TheGenius 06-10-13 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRJONESIII (Post 1298887)
If they pay Manu and Splitter that much, I'll be pretty upset. Not to mention Bonner too! Tiago still isn't that good to me.... No jumped, extremely limited post moves and not that great a shot blocker. Manu, maybe 5-6 million, and Splitter the same. Not to comfy on Tiago being there after Duncan. The time is now to build for Tony and Leonard,even Green.

i agree with Mr. Jones.

Manu DOUBLE Green's salary with his play? that's insane. even if Manu were to play 4 brilliant 2005-like vintage games for the Finals, Green's the one that's been carrying the defensive burden and shooting burden for the majority of the season and 3 rounds of the playoffs. you don't pay Manu double his salary for 1/3 (at best) the work.

Tiago at $10 million is borderline insane too. he's shown nothing on both ends of the floor (keyword: both) to justify that. if he's just a defensive presence, you pay him half of that. he's a role player, you don't pay him as a superstar (with this CBA anyway).

MichaelWi101 06-10-13 03:18 PM

Your numbers aren't quite accurate. According to HoopsHype the Spurs have a total of $41,831,628 committed in salary for next season. Tim is making 10 not 13, Tony is making 12 not 15. Since I've seen numbers (can't find the reference) that next's years cap will be right at 69 million, the Spurs are in pretty good shape.

As far as the speculation goes for salaries, Manu's not going to get 8 million and Tiago's not going to get 10 (at least not from the Spurs)

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/san_antonio.htm

WILLTHETHRILL 06-10-13 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 (Post 1298894)
Your numbers aren't quite accurate. According to HoopsHype the Spurs have a total of $41,831,628 committed in salary for next season. Tim is making 10 not 13, Tony is making 12 not 15. Since I've seen numbers (can't find the reference) that next's years cap will be right at 69 million, the Spurs are in pretty good shape.

As far as the speculation goes for salaries, Manu's not going to get 8 million and Tiago's not going to get 10 (at least not from the Spurs)

HoopsHype - NBA Salaries - San Antonio Spurs

Well it was what people on here want to pay players was the point. I'm not making it up. At least one guy on here said TP should have had 15 million and that was like when his deal was expiring. He wasn't playing that well at the time. Some people on here wanted Tim to get 13 million and the low end was 12 million. I said 10 million in the real world but no more than 11 million per at the time. Read all of my post next time.

MichaelWi101 06-10-13 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL (Post 1298897)
Well it was what people on here want to pay players was the point. I'm not making it up. At least one guy on here said TP should have had 15 million and that was like when his deal was expiring. He wasn't playing that well at the time. Some people on here wanted Tim to get 13 million and the low end was 12 million. I said 10 million in the real world but no more than 11 million per at the time. Read all of my post next time.

Chill Will, I DID read your entire post, but since it was in error and you made it sound oh so official I felt it needed to be corrected. And since you neglected to say that Tim was under contract,and you overstated Tony's salary, it doesn't matter what anyone wanted to pay anyone else, your title for the thread was Projected SR Spurs Player Payroll and it was flat out wrong.

I realize that you like to come across as the 'expert' and if you want to make a point that folks don't know what they're talking about, then get your facts and figures straight, after all you're the one who put the asterisks by those whose salaries were already set.

And your conclusion was flat out wrong.

Jose_TheGenius 06-10-13 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 (Post 1298894)

HoopsHype - NBA Salaries - San Antonio Spurs

the cap is going to be at $58-59 mill, not $69 mill. that'd be a $10 mill jump from this year to next year and Stern wouldn't have that lol

MRJONESIII 06-10-13 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius (Post 1298889)
i agree with Mr. Jones.

Manu DOUBLE Green's salary with his play? that's insane. even if Manu were to play 4 brilliant 2005-like vintage games for the Finals, Green's the one that's been carrying the defensive burden and shooting burden for the majority of the season and 3 rounds of the playoffs. you don't pay Manu double his salary for 1/3 (at best) the work.

Tiago at $10 million is borderline insane too. he's shown nothing on both ends of the floor (keyword: both) to justify that. if he's just a defensive presence, you pay him half of that. he's a role player, you don't pay him as a superstar (with this CBA anyway).

We always seem to agree with each other. I still think if you can get Al Jefferson for the projected Tiago dollar amount (10 million), get him. Post presence, post moves, nice jumper and probably decent passing skills. Just have to work on his defense. But in our system, the perimeter guys funnel to the bigs. Pick and roll D, and he'll be OK. Because as soon as Duncan sits...You can't run offense through Toshi to take some pressure off our other guys. That's were Jefferson can be the man down low. (When) we win this title, maybe that'll persuade him to maybe follow behind such a rich culture of big man lead team for the play 24 years. Always in the playoffs, always contending. We still have Baynes in our back pocket.

WILLTHETHRILL 06-10-13 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 (Post 1298899)
Chill Will, I DID read your entire post, but since it was in error and you made it sound oh so official I felt it needed to be corrected. And since you neglected to say that Tim was under contract,and you overstated Tony's salary, it doesn't matter what anyone wanted to pay anyone else, your title for the thread was Projected SR Spurs Player Payroll and it was flat out wrong.

I realize that you like to come across as the 'expert' and if you want to make a point that folks don't know what they're talking about, then get your facts and figures straight, after all you're the one who put the asterisks by those whose salaries were already set.

And your conclusion was flat out wrong.

I put those numbers as to what the armchair GMs wanted to pay TP and TD etc. So that's not what the SR posters wanted to pay those players???? I think everyone else got in on my point. When do I post lies on here? It doesn't happen. Also how was my conclusion wrong?
I think sometimes people don't agree with me always but they know what I'm talking about. I don't think that's ever debated "expert" title or not.

Jose_TheGenius 06-10-13 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL (Post 1298911)
I put those numbers as to what the armchair GMs wanted to pay TP and TD etc. So that's not what the SR posters wanted to pay those players???? I think everyone else got in on my point. When do I post lies on here? It doesn't happen. Also how was my conclusion wrong?
I think sometimes people don't agree with me always but they know what I'm talking about. I don't think that's ever debated "expert" title or not.

you have more than 30+ posters here, they all wanted to pay them the same thing?

WILLTHETHRILL 06-10-13 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius (Post 1298915)
you have more than 30+ posters here, they all wanted to pay them the same thing?

Ok not exactly the same thing salary wise but those numbers were posted at one time or another. Same ballpark yes for the most part.

joyner 06-10-13 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL (Post 1298911)

I couldn't figure out what the hell you were talking about, personally. It looked to me like you pulled a bunch of figures out of space then claimed that someone else said them first.

Jose_TheGenius 06-10-13 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL (Post 1298921)
Ok not exactly the same thing salary wise but those numbers were posted at one time or another. Same ballpark yes for the most part.

i'll admit i thought Manu's salary should've been $10 mill or so, but that was at the beginning of the season and keeping last season in mind. it's a whole season's worth and now (if you ask anyone) you have to throw in this season and how he's playing now into consideration.

at the beginning of the season, he was worth $8-10 mill a year

right now, he's not worth more than vet minimum.

WILLTHETHRILL 06-10-13 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius (Post 1298925)
i'll admit i thought Manu's salary should've been $10 mill or so, but that was at the beginning of the season and keeping last season in mind. it's a whole season's worth and now (if you ask anyone) you have to throw in this season and how he's playing now into consideration.

at the beginning of the season, he was worth $8-10 mill a year

right now, he's not worth more than vet minimum.

I think SJax is vet minimum not Manu. But hey that's up to RC and Pop.

WILLTHETHRILL 06-10-13 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joyner (Post 1298924)
I couldn't figure out what the hell you were talking about, personally. It looked to me like you pulled a bunch of figures out of space then claimed that someone else said them first.

Well they did say it first lol

katyspursfan 06-10-13 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius (Post 1298915)

What? Only 30 posters here?

Yeesh, I'm almost tempted to pull Will off the ignore list. I'm not sure the overall intelligence of the posts I see would handle it, though.

Ignore FTW!

WILLTHETHRILL 06-10-13 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katyspursfan (Post 1298934)
What? Only 30 posters here?

Yeesh, I'm almost tempted to pull Will off the ignore list. I'm not sure the overall intelligence of the posts I see would handle it, though.

Ignore FTW!

You are the Jason Collins of this board:laugh

Jose_TheGenius 06-10-13 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL (Post 1298926)
I think SJax is vet minimum not Manu. But hey that's up to RC and Pop.

Jax is vet minimum right now because he wasn't and is not playing. when he was on the team, he was way overpaid and wasn't going to get anything close to that. if he would've shown up from Round 1 and onward, different story.

Ginobili hasn't shown up all season and the postseason.

WILLTHETHRILL 06-10-13 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius (Post 1298948)
Jax is vet minimum right now because he wasn't and is not playing. when he was on the team, he was way overpaid and wasn't going to get anything close to that. if he would've shown up from Round 1 and onward, different story.

Ginobili hasn't shown up all season and the postseason.

So when he played this year he deserved what 4 million per??(SJax)

joyner 06-11-13 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL (Post 1298927)
Well they did say it first lol

[citation required]

WILLTHETHRILL 06-11-13 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joyner (Post 1298965)
[citation required]

Hey 10 million per to Splitter right?lol

joyner 06-11-13 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL (Post 1298971)
Hey 10 million per to Splitter right?lol

One down, twelve to go. We're waiting.

WILLTHETHRILL 06-11-13 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joyner (Post 1298976)
One down, twelve to go. We're waiting.

You like to give away money lol:banana

joyner 06-11-13 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL (Post 1298977)
You like to give away money lol:banana

...what?

clovisnmspurfan 06-11-13 02:27 PM

Let's put all our effort in winning #5, then we can worry about who gets what.

Jose_TheGenius 06-11-13 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joyner (Post 1298997)
...what?

don't mind him :lol

Kager 06-12-13 12:47 AM

Bonner same wage, not waived as some suggest,as he is 6"10' with added defensive ability and rebounding so a good back up for a big man and stretch 4. To get someone for the bench as good or better for either role you will pay more, and then there is the fact he knows intimately what is required of him and the schemes around this.

Splitter $8 mill per as Asik got that and both players bring similar abilities. You will not get even a decent late bench center for less than $6.5 mill, I had a quick look and only those on a rookie contract were less that I could see.

I believe if we win it Manu will retire so no need to discuss in that situation, but otherwise all the ameteur GM's here that want to dump him to the side and only pay him "what he will be worth" next year do not understand that in business you also reward those that have been a building block to get your brand to a point where we are known as one of the best teams in professional sport, at least in USA.

Don't pay Manu max, and he probably wouldn't expect that, but don't low ball him..... still unhappy that D Rob got low balled at the end there after what he did, there is a difference between a player and management working together to lower the wage to help the team and disrespecting what someone has put in for the team.... and Manu has put in a lot.

I finish with my usual question: Who would you bring in to replace these pieces if they get paid elsewhere? Al Jefferson is not coming here for $10 mill he will want at least $3-$5 mill more, and even then name the last big name free agent signing we have had.

WILLTHETHRILL 06-12-13 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kager (Post 1299054)
Bonner same wage, not waived as some suggest,as he is 6"10' with added defensive ability and rebounding so a good back up for a big man and stretch 4. To get someone for the bench as good or better for either role you will pay more, and then there is the fact he knows intimately what is required of him and the schemes around this.

Splitter $8 mill per as Asik got that and both players bring similar abilities. You will not get even a decent late bench center for less than $6.5 mill, I had a quick look and only those on a rookie contract were less that I could see.

I believe if we win it Manu will retire so no need to discuss in that situation, but otherwise all the ameteur GM's here that want to dump him to the side and only pay him "what he will be worth" next year do not understand that in business you also reward those that have been a building block to get your brand to a point where we are known as one of the best teams in professional sport, at least in USA.

Don't pay Manu max, and he probably wouldn't expect that, but don't low ball him..... still unhappy that D Rob got low balled at the end there after what he did, there is a difference between a player and management working together to lower the wage to help the team and disrespecting what someone has put in for the team.... and Manu has put in a lot.

I finish with my usual question: Who would you bring in to replace these pieces if they get paid elsewhere? Al Jefferson is not coming here for $10 mill he will want at least $3-$5 mill more, and even then name the last big name free agent signing we have had.

Bonner had two points and his pay goes up again.......doubt they keep him for that amount. Why even include a buyout on his deal then?

Manu already said he would not retire.

TodTango 06-12-13 02:34 AM

The Future Power Rankings are ESPN Insider's projection of the on-court success expected for each team in the 2013-14, 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons.

HOW FUTURE POWER RATING IS DETERMINED
PLAYERS (0 to 600 points): Current players and their potential for the future, factoring in expected departures
MANAGEMENT (0 to 200 points): Quality and stability of front office, ownership, coaching
MONEY (0 to 200 points): Projected salary-cap situation; ability and willingness to exceed cap and pay luxury tax
MARKET (0 to 100 points): Appeal to future acquisitions based on team quality, franchise reputation, city's desirability as a destination, market size, taxes, business and entertainment opportunities, arena quality, fans
DRAFT (0 to 100 points): Future draft picks; draft positioning
CATEGORY RANKINGS: See how each team ranked in each category
Consider this a convenient way to see the direction in which your favorite team is headed.

Each of the NBA's 30 teams received an overall Future Power Rating of 0 to 1,200, based on how well we expect each team to perform in the three seasons after this season.

To determine the Future Power Rating, we rated each team in five categories (see table at right).

As you can see, we determined that the most important category is a team's current roster and the future potential of those players -- that category accounts for 50 percent of each team's overall Future Power Rating.

At the same time, we looked at many other factors, such as management, ownership, coaching, a team's spending habits, its cap situation, the reputation of the city and the franchise and what kind of draft picks we expect the team to have in the future.

To rank the 30 teams, we asked ESPN Insider analysts Chad Ford, Amin Elhassan, Tom Haberstroh and Kevin Pelton to rate each team in each category. We also asked our ESPN Forecast panel to rate each team in the Players, Management and Market categories.

4. San Antonio Spurs | Future Power Rating: 774
PLAYERS MANAGEMENT MONEY MARKET DRAFT
378 (9th) 170 (1st) 125 (8th) 55 (13th) 44 (19th)

We recently celebrated the fifth anniversary of the Spurs being considered too old to remain contenders. Instead, San Antonio is heading in the opposite direction in the Future Power Rankings; this is the highest the Spurs have ever ranked in the FPR, dating back to November 2009. San Antonio certainly has benefited from this year's Finals run, but the Spurs' future would be promising no matter what.

Quietly, San Antonio has managed its salary structure to potentially have more than $20 million in cap space this summer. In practice, much of that will go to re-signing free agents Manu Ginobili and Tiago Splitter, but Splitter's cap hold ($7.5 million) is reasonable enough that the Spurs could still clear about $10 million if Ginobili quickly agrees to a smaller new contract.

The flexibility is impressive given San Antonio has four starters under contract from this year's Western Conference champions. While the Spurs will see their depth take a hit with reserves DeJuan Blair, Gary Neal and possibly Boris Diaw (player option) hitting free agency, GM R.C. Buford and head coach Gregg Popovich have repeatedly demonstrated their ability to find cheap newcomers they can plug into San Antonio's system.

The biggest looming question is how long Duncan can continue to anchor the Spurs. He has two years left (including a player option) on the contract he signed last summer and is coming off a season as good on a per-minute basis as any since the 2007 championship. As long as Duncan competes at a high level, so too will San Antonio.