SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   Why didn't Coach Pop call a time out sooner? (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/119707-why-didnt-coach-pop-call-time-out-sooner.html)

esparzar1 06-10-13 08:23 AM

Why didn't Coach Pop call a time out sooner?

Spurs got down by 19 in the 4th before coach pop called a TO. Spurs were up at one point in the 3rd and then Miami went on that huge run......would a timeout even helped? Just curious to see what other say/think about the situation. The Spurs had a golden opportunity to go up 2-0 and let it slip by given the Heat that huge run.

Uwe Blab 06-10-13 10:44 AM

I don't think a timeout would have helped. The Heat defense was so intense and Tony and TD couldn't get anything going. It's too bad they wasted a great game by Danny Green.

polk 06-10-13 10:47 AM

Not sure what a timeout would have done. Not being a smart ass but if I recall, when the score was 62-61 with about 3:00 left in the third there was a timeout. Not sure who took it but a timeout nonetheless. Coming out of the timeout, SPurs turn the ball over. I would assume some play was drawn up or POP at least stated waht he wanted during the timeout. THe club then proceeds to run the offense and Gary Neal pops to the top of the key to receive a pass and it hits him directly in the hands. Instead of catching it, the ball goes through his hands and out of bounds. Not exactly what you expect coming out of a timeout.

Next thing you know there is a run of 8-10 pts straight but by then there is about 1:45 seconds left in the qtr so I figured he was just trying to wait until the qtr was over hoping his team could play through it. At that time he had 4 timeouts left for the rest of the game.

Not a great explanation but I remember thinking the same thing and noticing the specifics about the situation.

WILLTHETHRILL 06-10-13 11:15 AM

Miami turned it up and when they do that they are very hard to stop. The key for the Spurs is to not let them get into it.

spurscrazed 06-10-13 01:51 PM

I don't agree with you esparzar1

Nothing Pop could have done better in the end of that killer third Quarter. The damage had been done way before that. Spurs were lucky to stay in the game until that point by mirage 3 point shooting and jump shots. There was very little slim chance Spurs could have won that game. That adjustment should have been done at the second quarter I would think Pop should have taken out certain players and put the bench to save himself some embarrassment!!!!

It all started on the middle of the second quarter earlier in the game IMHO.Despite the Spurs being down only by FIVE point at half time. The HEAT already had been doing GREAT in their isolating Tony and Timmy and Neutralizing Manu along with everyone not named GREEN or LEONARD and maybe Neal.

Rzarector7 06-10-13 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL (Post 1298869)
Miami turned it up and when they do that they are very hard to stop. The key for the Spurs is to not let them get into it.

That will be pretty hard to do, hopefully a few more games they don't get into it! Say like three.

WILLTHETHRILL 06-10-13 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rzarector7 (Post 1298896)
That will be pretty hard to do, hopefully a few more games they don't get into it! Say like three.

Well Indiana won 3 games and lost one in OT. Miami can be beat. It's just when they fire on all cylinders........right now no team can match them when they get into it. Game 1 they really never got it together. Spurs played bad too but still kept them at bay. Spurs need to maintain and not lose control of the game. But three straight at home should help the Spurs.

WILLTHETHRILL 06-10-13 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spurscrazed (Post 1298886)
I don't agree with you esparzar1

Nothing Pop could have done better in the end of that killer third Quarter. The damage had been done way before that. Spurs were lucky to stay in the game until that point by mirage 3 point shooting and jump shots. There was very little slim chance Spurs could have won that game. That adjustment should have been done at the second quarter I would think Pop should have taken out certain players and put the bench to save himself some embarrassment!!!!

It all started on the middle of the second quarter earlier in the game IMHO.Despite the Spurs being down only by FIVE point at half time. The HEAT already had been doing GREAT in their isolating Tony and Timmy and Neutralizing Manu along with everyone not named GREEN or LEONARD and maybe Neal.

I agree. :applause

pjm 06-10-13 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uwe Blab (Post 1298863)
I don't think a timeout would have helped. The Heat defense was so intense and Tony and TD couldn't get anything going. It's too bad they wasted a great game by Danny Green.

Thanks, Uwe for not including Manu in there.
I usually enjoy your opinions and insight and you have some really good posts.
But I must admit that I got tired of all the Manu bashing lately and that's why I replied everything I did in the other threads.

And I agree, nothing was going our way the second half, a timely timeout might have reduced the margin a little bit, but I don't think would have been enough to turn the tables of how the game was being played at that time.

alh1020 06-10-13 07:05 PM

The Heat also incorporated their '6th man' when their started their roll -- they got the crowd raved up to the point it was deafening.

esparzar1 06-11-13 12:10 PM

I think the fact still remains that the Spurs were very competitive for the 1st 32 min or so and Miami went on this huge run to make it a blowout game. Who knows if a timeout would have helped at all.....All I'm saying is it couldn't have hurt. You can't say that it wouldn't have changed anything because by the time the Spurs called a TO, it was too late (down by 19)I guess we will never know. On to game 3 :rock :rock