News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 06-08-13, 06:47 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Our free agents

The Spurs have 10 players under contract for a total of $41,831,628. Tiago Splitter's qualifying offer is $4.93 million, while Gary's is $1,116,099. I would be shocked if we don't offer both, which would mean we'd have contracts or holds for 12 players for a total of $47,877,727. That leaves us $23.7 million below the tax threshold and $10.6 million under the cap. If we keep our first-round pick, that contract will be $893,500 next year.

Here is how I would approach the offseason.

MANU GINOBILI: If he wants to come back, I offer him a two-year deal for $5 million per season, with the second year being team option; if Tim doesn't pick up his option, no point keeping Manu. If Manu wants more than $5 million per, I'd want a relatively inexpensive buyout (i.e., $2 million) on that second year. He deserves to finish his career in San Antonio, but he's not an every-game contributor and his shooting really dropped off this year. And due to the salary cap implications, I wait until I've done my free-agent shopping to sign the deal so that I can use my salary cap space on a fairly big name free agent.

TIAGO SPLITTER: He has gotten better every year and this is going to be the window where he gets his biggest contract, but he's still not much of a rebounder or shot-blocker. He's definitely worth the qualifying offer but not an Omer Asik contract. Particularly with a flattish cap, I'd sign him for 3/20 or 4/26.

GARY NEAL: Useful as a combo guard but we have Cory, Nando, and Manu to back up next season. I give him the qualifying offer because it's cheap, invite him to bring back an offer from another team, and thank him for his services if that offer exceeds $2.5 million per. However, if Manu decides to retire after this championship, Gary becomes much more valuable and I match any offer up to $4 million.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-08-13, 09:22 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Regardless of Manu, I don't think Neal is worth much more than the qualifying offer. He's a straight-up shooter who can be streaky good and streaky bad. There are lots of guys like that. If he could drive to the rim and finish, I'd think about paying more. But I haven't seen that in his game yet.

I like the numbers you're suggesting for Tiago, but I have to think that someone's gonna throw funny money at him. Maybe a mil more a year than you're proposing would get it done. It all depends on how committed Tiago is to SA.

The Manu number is about right, and I suspect Manu would be open to it. He's been the highest paid Spur this year and has to know that Time is catching up to him (e.g., he's recently mentioned retirement). If he's gone after the Finals, a #20 jersey gets hoisted to the rafters sooner rather than later...

Moving forward, I've been impressed by Joseph, and I have wild hopes that Nando can finally get it and provide a bit of the crazy, effective showmanship we used to see regularly from Manu. Is Patty Mills ever gonna get a chance to do more than wave a towel? I like what I see from him every time he manages to get court time.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-09-13, 02:24 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsucksForever View Post

MANU GINOBILI: If he wants to come back, I offer him a two-year deal for $5 million per season, with the second year being team option; if Tim doesn't pick up his option, no point keeping Manu. If Manu wants more than $5 million per, I'd want a relatively inexpensive buyout (i.e., $2 million) on that second year. He deserves to finish his career in San Antonio, but he's not an every-game contributor and his shooting really dropped off this year. And due to the salary cap implications, I wait until I've done my free-agent shopping to sign the deal so that I can use my salary cap space on a fairly big name free agent.
Until he is re-signed, renounced, or signs somewhere else, Manu will have a cap hold somewhere between $14-17M.
Old 06-09-13, 07:48 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

The Spurs will have no (read: none at all) cap space this summer unless they immediately renounce Splitter and Manu. Even then, they wouldn't have much. No big name free agents. Forget about them.
Sign our guys, and try it again next year.
Old 06-09-13, 08:27 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I am betting Manu gets 2 years 13 mil, and Splitter gets 3 years 27 mil.

We will have cap space if we immediately sign Manu and Splitter. We don't have to renounce them.

We won't sign a big free agent. We will probably bring over Adam Hanga to replace Gary Neil. There is a small chance we bring over Bertans, but he probably has to wait another year to get stronger. Those two guys are our big free agents for the next 2 years.
Old 06-09-13, 12:59 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

What would Al Jefferson want? Big time money and barely make the playoffs or decent money and a chance to still be in the hunt for a title? Like KG, signed for big money but couldn't win until he got to Boston with the second big 3. I guess it just depends on a persons priorities.
Old 06-09-13, 01:19 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
The Spurs have 10 players under contract for a total of $41,831,628. Tiago Splitter's qualifying offer is $4.93 million, while Gary's is $1,116,099. I would be shocked if we don't offer both, which would mean we'd have contracts or holds for 12 players for a total of $47,877,727. That leaves us $23.7 million below the tax threshold and $10.6 million under the cap. If we keep our first-round pick, that contract will be $893,500 next year.

Here is how I would approach the offseason.

TIAGO SPLITTER: He has gotten better every year and this is going to be the window where he gets his biggest contract, but he's still not much of a rebounder or shot-blocker. He's definitely worth the qualifying offer but not an Omer Asik contract. Particularly with a flattish cap, I'd sign him for 3/20 or 4/26.

GARY NEAL: Useful as a combo guard but we have Cory, Nando, and Manu to back up next season. I give him the qualifying offer because it's cheap, invite him to bring back an offer from another team, and thank him for his services if that offer exceeds $2.5 million per. However, if Manu decides to retire after this championship, Gary becomes much more valuable and I match any offer up to $4 million.
What about Bonner's buyout???
Old 06-09-13, 01:19 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Gary Neal is not worth 4 million a year. Period.
Old 06-09-13, 03:52 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post

We will have cap space if we immediately sign Manu and Splitter. We don't have to renounce them.

We won't sign a big free agent. We will probably bring over Adam Hanga to replace Gary Neil. There is a small chance we bring over Bertans, but he probably has to wait another year to get stronger. Those two guys are our big free agents for the next 2 years.
That's a lot salary to use on them. I hope Manu takes 5 million a year instead. 9 million a year for Splitter? Way too high. Let him walk at that rate. Splitter would almost be at Duncan money. No thanks. Even with a championship. I say no.
Old 06-09-13, 04:24 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post

If the Spurs do those deals, they are over the salary cap.
Done. If they renounce both, then they have some cash.
Old 06-09-13, 06:07 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
That's a lot salary to use on them. I hope Manu takes 5 million a year instead. 9 million a year for Splitter? Way too high. Let him walk at that rate. Splitter would almost be at Duncan money. No thanks. Even with a championship. I say no.
I've said this before: Tiago isn't worth $10 million/year himself, but the Spurs are $10 million better with him on the roster. With how few quality big men there are, it's going to take at least $9 million to keep him in San Antonio, and he's worth it. There's no player or combination of players in the league on whom we could spend $9 million that would make us better than Splitter.
Old 06-09-13, 06:43 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyner View Post
I've said this before: Tiago isn't worth $10 million/year himself, but the Spurs are $10 million better with him on the roster. With how few quality big men there are, it's going to take at least $9 million to keep him in San Antonio, and he's worth it. There's no player or combination of players in the league on whom we could spend $9 million that would make us better than Splitter.
That's your opinion sir. I and others on here don't agree with you on paying out the nose to keep him sorry.
Old 06-10-13, 08:16 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

After last nights game

Splitter isn't worth SH*T! I wouldn't pay him more than 7 mil a year.

Ginobili - - - - - Love the guy, but he is done.

Last edited by choppsboy; 06-10-13 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-10-13, 01:00 PM
SpursReport Team Member

The Spurs will renounce Manu as a purely procedural move. We're not going into the new league year with a $17 million cap hold on him, and nothing prevents us from re-signing a player who we have renounced.

Extending the qualifying offers to Tiago and Gary means that their cap holds are what were indicated in my initial post until such time as we sign them to longer-term contracts or match an offer. As such, we'll have roughly $10 million below the cap to lure a free agent or two (Al Jefferson or Emeka Okafor plus a wing), and then the $2.5 million MLE plus about $8 million to take care of Manu and Tiago.
Old 06-10-13, 05:23 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
The Spurs will renounce Manu as a purely procedural move. We're not going into the new league year with a $17 million cap hold on him, and nothing prevents us from re-signing a player who we have renounced.

Extending the qualifying offers to Tiago and Gary means that their cap holds are what were indicated in my initial post until such time as we sign them to longer-term contracts or match an offer. As such, we'll have roughly $10 million below the cap to lure a free agent or two (Al Jefferson or Emeka Okafor plus a wing), and then the $2.5 million MLE plus about $8 million to take care of Manu and Tiago.
Well, actually, league rules explicitly prevent a team from signing a player they have renounced. It's part of the whole renounce step/declaration.

Splitter doesn't get a qualifying offer. He is an unrestricted free agent. His cap hold is based on the number of years he's been in the league. He will likely sign for more than the cap hold. Here, or elsewhere.

There will be no free agent money for the Spurs. Let it go. They will start the off season above the salary cap (~$58M) and will finish the off season above the salary cap, but likely below the luxury tax.
Old 06-10-13, 09:57 PM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

I will hold my judgement on those three until the Finals ends.

I do expect Tiago to have a Great Game tomorrow...
Cause that block on his dunk will just make him become more motivated to play much better to win this series!!!

By the way here is a food for your thoughts!

You all Rock ROCK ROCK! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Old 06-11-13, 04:11 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post
Well, actually, league rules explicitly prevent a team from signing a player they have renounced. It's part of the whole renounce step/declaration.

Splitter doesn't get a qualifying offer. He is an unrestricted free agent. His cap hold is based on the number of years he's been in the league. He will likely sign for more than the cap hold. Here, or elsewhere.

There will be no free agent money for the Spurs. Let it go. They will start the off season above the salary cap (~$58M) and will finish the off season above the salary cap, but likely below the luxury tax.
That's not exactly correct. If the spurs renounce Manu, they can still resign him but they wouldn't have access to the bird exception. Basically, they could only use any salary cap space they have.

Splitter does get a qualifying offer because he is comming off a rookie contract. He should actually qualify at a higher number than hoops hype shows because he will be considered a starter.
Old 06-11-13, 04:54 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasamohT View Post
That's not exactly correct. If the spurs renounce Manu, they can still resign him but they wouldn't have access to the bird exception. Basically, they could only use any salary cap space they have.

Splitter does get a qualifying offer because he is comming off a rookie contract. He should actually qualify at a higher number than hoops hype shows because he will be considered a starter.
I stand corrected. Manu would be just another free agent for anyone to sign, with everyone given the same rules.

I don't see that happening.

Didn't Splitter sign as a free agent, given the number of years between his drafting and signing (or was it Euro league experience)?

Last edited by katyspursfan; 06-11-13 at 04:57 PM.
Old 06-11-13, 06:41 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurscrazed View Post
I will hold my judgement on those three until the Finals ends.

I do expect Tiago to have a Great Game tomorrow...
Cause that block on his dunk will just make him become more motivated to play much better to win this series!!!

By the way here is a food for your thoughts!

David Lock doesn't know what he is talking about. Splitter was a -2, and Manu was a -23 (in only 18 minutes). I don't see any way that they could have been a +10 in any stretch with Manu on the floor.

OOOOHH. . . . I thought he said Splitter and Manu.
Old 06-11-13, 11:32 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post
I stand corrected. Manu would be just another free agent for anyone to sign, with everyone given the same rules.

I don't see that happening.

Didn't Splitter sign as a free agent, given the number of years between his drafting and signing (or was it Euro league experience)?

Yes he did sign as a free agent...sorta.. It had been more than 3 years since the spurs had drafted him, so he was able to sign for more than his slotted salary but there were still restrictions. As a result he is still playing on a rookie contract. He qualifies as a starter so his hold will be the same as the #9 pick in his draft.