News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 06-04-13, 07:26 AM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

Predict the NBA Finals!

Last series topic of the year!!!!! Spurs in 5 baby! nuff'said
Old 06-04-13, 07:35 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Spurs have to do it in six because they won't get any kind of break in Miami for a Game 7.

What's with the 2-3-2 format?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-04-13, 08:55 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckennaspur1 View Post
Spurs have to do it in six because they won't get any kind of break in Miami for a Game 7.

What's with the 2-3-2 format?
The 2-3-2 format refers to the home games, the first 2 will be in Miami, the next 3 will be in San Antonio, the last 2 back in Miami, with that being said, it ain't going back to Miami.... Spurs sweep!

Old 06-04-13, 08:58 AM
The Master Baiter

They absolutely have to steal one of the first two in Miami. They can't be comfortable with having 3 in a row at home. Chances are, Miami will steal one in SA. So, they need to be able to win twice in Miami, and I don't know if that's possible.

I'm going to say Spurs in six, but I'm not confident, particularly with such a long rest interrupting their rhythm.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-04-13, 10:30 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Spurs in 6
Old 06-04-13, 10:44 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I see it like this: spurs win at LEAST 1 out of the first 2 in Miami and close it out in San Antonio. Put it this way, thus far we've played better on the road than at home in tr playoffs. At least that's what it seems like to me. I see us winning game 1 and possibly going back home up 2-0. I respect the hell out of the heat but the spurs will not be phased playing on the road and certainly will play spurs basketball. Yes Miami is quick on d but ball moves faster. If they think they can single Parker and eliminate out offense good luck. I want to desperately see lbj running through 3-4 screens at a time

- Confucius
Old 06-04-13, 10:52 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Why switch to 2-3-2 when all the other series have been 2-2-1-1-1?
Old 06-04-13, 11:00 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
It has always been like that. Just like the first round used to be a 5 series game. Just eliminates excess travel from East to West and visas verse.
Old 06-04-13, 11:39 AM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
It was changed in 1985, according to quick research by a nobody like myself, so travel would be easier for teams, but more importantly for media and for ultimately more money. There was a time when the Finals were on tape delay. Stern changed all that.

Some other interesting stats for this format:

-The NBA Finals have been knotted up through two games 12 times since the 2-3-2 format began in 1985. The team that starts the series with home-court advantage has gone on to an 8-4 record in those instances.

-Since the 2-3-2 format began, only two home teams have swept Games 3, 4 and 5. The 2004 Pistons did it against the Lakers, and the 2006 Heat did it against Dallas.

-Since the 2-3-2 format began, three road teams have swept Games 3, 4 and 5. The Pistons did it in 1990 over the Blazers, the Bulls did it 1991 over the Lakers and the Lakers did it against the Sixers in 2001.

-In the 12 times that a Finals series has been knotted at one game apiece, the most common result in the middle three games is for the home team to win Games 4 and 5, which has happened four times. The next most frequent occurrence is for the home team to lose all three games, which has happened three times. The home team, in the middle three games, has won only Game 4 twice, won Games 3 and 4 once, won Games 3 and 5 once and won all three just once.

-Since the 2-3-2 format began, there have only been four series that have gone seven games.

-The most common duration of a Finals series in the 2-3-2 era is six games, which has happened 14 times.

-There have been four sweeps in the Finals under the 2-3-2 format.

-Five Finals series have lasted just five games under the 2-3-2 format.

-The winner of Game 3 when a Finals series under the 2-3-2 format is tied at one has gone on to win the championship 11 of 12 times.
Old 06-04-13, 12:14 PM
Herman Cain of the board

SPURS IN 5! WHY NOT?
Old 06-04-13, 12:32 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

How's this for specific - Spurs in 6 - games 1, 3, 5, 6 (first time Heat lose two in a row in this year's playoffs...)
Old 06-04-13, 12:44 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Spurs in 6. Miami lets themselves get into a 3-1 hole by dropping a game in Miami and letting the Spurs steal a game we really shouldn't win in San Antonio. They rally in Game 5, but Spurs close out in Game 6.
Old 06-04-13, 02:07 PM

IF the Spurs win game 1, they can sweep. I beleive the Spurs realize that this could indeed be their last shot at a ring with the "Big 3" and will not take it for granted.

I currently see it as this.....Miami will come out "overconfident" and think nothing of losing game one and claw back for game 2, San Antonio finishes them out at home with 3 striaght (the home crowd is getting better and better with each round, I suspect the home crowd will be beyond crazy in the finals)

But again, of the Spurs win game 1, I could easily see a sweep
Old 06-04-13, 02:09 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

i always felt in this 2-3-2 format,team with home court advantage is vastly favored...

anyone know spurs stats in previous finals... i mean, every finals year (99,03,05,07)
1)if they was the better record team or not (home court advantage);
2)and in those years, number of games needed to get it done...

and even wich games with W and L in those series, etc?

no im not numbers freaky, just very nervous!!!! danggggggg
Old 06-04-13, 02:33 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanCaca View Post
i always felt in this 2-3-2 format,team with home court advantage is vastly favored...

anyone know spurs stats in previous finals... i mean, every finals year (99,03,05,07)
1)if they was the better record team or not (home court advantage);
2)and in those years, number of games needed to get it done...

and even wich games with W and L in those series, etc?

no im not numbers freaky, just very nervous!!!! danggggggg
Spurs always had hc in finals previous 4 championships

- Confucius
Old 06-04-13, 02:37 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by esparzar1 View Post
IF the Spurs win game 1, they can sweep. I beleive the Spurs realize that this could indeed be their last shot at a ring with the "Big 3" and will not take it for granted.

I currently see it as this.....Miami will come out "overconfident" and think nothing of losing game one and claw back for game 2, San Antonio finishes them out at home with 3 striaght (the home crowd is getting better and better with each round, I suspect the home crowd will be beyond crazy in the finals)

Agreement again between us for the millionth time. Go spurs go!!

- Confucius
Old 06-04-13, 03:36 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I like Spurs in 5, winning the 3 at home.
Old 06-04-13, 03:51 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
How's this for specific - Spurs in 6 - games 1, 3, 5, 6 (first time Heat lose two in a row in this year's playoffs...)
this is my pick.
Old 06-04-13, 05:11 PM
Official SR Home Builder

The Geniuses from ESPN say:

Last edited by Eddy from Austin; 06-04-13 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-04-13, 05:35 PM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

I expect them to choose Miami. Seriously people,they ARE the defending champs. How much would ya'll freak if somebody chose against SA in the same situation? This place would burn down. I don't care what journalists or analysts predict, I kinda hope they choose Miami because I don't want the Heat feeling like underdogs, especially as defending champs, it's insulting to them.
Old 06-04-13, 10:01 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

I can not call this series until I see a game or two, no clue what to expect at all.

BUT I will say a hunch, Spurs in 6.....
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.

Last edited by Rzarector7; 06-05-13 at 12:35 AM.
Old 06-04-13, 11:22 PM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Miami Heat don't scare me. I'll give them proper respect, my Spurs are BETTER TEAM!

Spurs in Six!

Spurs will make dam sure they will win this series even if they had to close it on the road.

And Miami will not be able to recover between games that fast IMO because:

A. Miami is exhausted from coming from that 7 game series. They will feel that more likely after the first 2 games. That adrenaline will be taking them through first two games at home. But Spurs on the other hand had been rested and will bring that great focus and concentration. Even if they had some rust in game one first half. Spurs will keep their heads in the game and step up and keep their foot on that pedestal all game long IMO.

B. Miami think they can adjust between games and come back with something new to counter Spurs, they are dead wrong on that. Easier said than done. This Spurs TEAM is super resilient and will not be that easily beat. Even if Heat won 27 games in a raw during the regular season. Especially since majority of those wins were vs. Eastern Teams...Which is far less superior than beating Western Teams all year long. Spurs are already coming with a great edge here...Plus 27 wins in a row does not mean a squat. It is different in the PO. We all saw Spurs winning a whole bunches of games last year and coming to drop 4 straight in that OKC series...

Spurs on the other hand will adjust faster and much better since Pop has the edge of more PO experience over Eric Spoelstra. Give me Pop over Eric in any day & twice on Sunday!!!

Bottom Line:

For Spurs it really does not matter because Spurs know how to win on the road.

For Miami I can see them relaxing at their home and dropping a couple of games from being over confident and all that hype.

But if Spurs win game 1 and 2 in Miami!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Man this would be the Sweetest Finals EVA!!!!Spurs then IMO will Sweep dis Miami Heat...!!And it will be just like 2007!!! The GREATEST Championship of all the Spurs ones since it came much more harder than others with all what the Spurs had to go through all year long and all PO long.

Let's Go Spurs Go!!!!

It is all up for GRABS and someone will get it why not My Spurs?
Spurs are the Better Team and will win it all IMO!
You all Rock ROCK ROCK! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Old 06-05-13, 12:39 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

Spurs in 5 - its Madison Square Garden and 1999 all over again!
Old 06-05-13, 09:53 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Spurs in 6!

Would love them to Sweep Lebroom and Co!
Old 06-05-13, 10:14 AM
Official Whorry Hater!

Spurs in 2...

Old 06-05-13, 11:56 AM
The Chosen One(Moderator)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombear View Post
Spurs in 2...
Genius....puuurrrre genius lol

I'm Batman's cousin
Old 06-05-13, 01:03 PM
Official SR Home Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAD View Post
Spurs in 5 - its Madison Square Garden and 1999 all over again!
Game 5 is at home this time since we don't have HCA.
But I'm with you Spurs in 5
Old 06-05-13, 03:09 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom32x4 View Post
I expect them to choose Miami. Seriously people,they ARE the defending champs. How much would ya'll freak if somebody chose against SA in the same situation? This place would burn down. I don't care what journalists or analysts predict, I kinda hope they choose Miami because I don't want the Heat feeling like underdogs, especially as defending champs, it's insulting to them.
Amen to that. They're the defending champs, they had the best record in the NBA, they won 8 more games than us this year, and they had the best winning percentage since the 2006-07 Mavericks. They're the favorites, we're the underdogs by any objective measure.

Given all that, I'm surprised even 5 commentators picked us to win, and that more see us winning in 6 than see them winning in 6 (although if you think the Spurs are going to win, you probably don't think they're going to do it with a Game 7 win on the road).

Last edited by joyner; 06-05-13 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-06-13, 10:03 AM
The Eternal Optimist

The Spurs in not less than four! Seriously, picking the Spurs to sweep is ridiculous, but the logical number, six, means picking the to win two in Miami. My pick, then, is the Spurs in five, I would not be surprised if they swept them. Reasoning, look at them with more than two days rest, games 1, 2, and 5. Now, if the get games one and two, split three and four, then win game five. Yes, I wear some grey tinted glasses by spells.

Last edited by old timer; 06-06-13 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-06-13, 01:59 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy from Austin View Post
Game 5 is at home this time since we don't have HCA.
But I'm with you Spurs in 5
I HOPE TO GOD you guys are right on this 5.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 06-06-13, 03:58 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I think Miami wins it in 7. I think it will be a great series and both teams will have their moments. I just don't see Lebron being stopped and you don't need much when he's on.
Old 06-06-13, 06:37 PM
SR Team Goof

Old 06-06-13, 07:51 PM
SpursReport Team Member

5 in 5
Old 06-06-13, 11:04 PM

Quote:

Remember who you heard this from first
Old 06-07-13, 12:10 AM
Official Whorry Hater!

Quote:
:drummer

Old 06-07-13, 09:48 AM
SR 2010 Western Conference Champion

I was kind of surprised by the "Spurs in 6" pick from so many experts since with the Finals format that means Spurs should either win at least 2 out of the 3 games played in Miami or win 4 in a row (3 in San Antonio and game 6 in Miami) for that prediction to be true.
I'll still take a "Spurs in 6" outcome but was surprised by so many picking 6 instead of 5 or 7.
Old 06-07-13, 09:59 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Really dude? Check again, you opened this thread saying Spurs in 5, I called for the sweep with the third post.
Old 06-07-13, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necron 99 View Post
Really dude? Check again, you opened this thread saying Spurs in 5, I called for the sweep with the third post.
touche
Old 06-07-13, 10:36 PM
SpursReport Team Member

No jinx since it's a prediction thread, but when we DO get the 4th win, I want Pop to get the trophy from Stern in front of all the cameras, look him in the eye, and tell him that was the best $250,000 the Spurs ever spent!!!
Old 06-07-13, 11:25 PM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilboinsa View Post
No jinx since it's a prediction thread, but when we DO get the 4th win, I want Pop to get the trophy from Stern in front of all the cameras, look him in the eye, and tell him that was the best $250,000 the Spurs ever spent!!!
You all Rock ROCK ROCK! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Old 06-10-13, 10:02 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Dang, 30-5 second half runs are tough to beat.
Old 06-17-13, 11:01 AM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Quote:
So far so good Now if only I'm right about Tuesday night ....oh yeah!!!!
Old 06-17-13, 11:23 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:

Great job and let's hope your right about game 6...
Old 06-18-13, 05:27 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Yes! We are all rooting for your predictions to come true! Can't sleep in anticipation for it to happen! I also can't wait to post tomorrow to give you more props!
Old 06-18-13, 08:55 AM
Spartan Moderator

Quote:
I think you're right on! GO SPURS GO!!!!