News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 06-02-13, 08:56 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Pop's Successor

I mentioned this back a couple or so years ago when there was so much talk about trading Manu. My opinion was then and still is that not only would Manu be re-signed but that he had all elements of what it would take to be a Spurs coach and successor to Pop.

Watching today's practice interview (Sunday June 2) brought back that recollection and confirmed my feelings as to his possible future. Manu still wants to play, which means he will be re-signed. Manu also states that he wishes to remain connected to basketball after his retirement either in Argentina or the States.

If Pop can remain the Spurs coach for a few more years and Manu can get in a year or so as an assistant to Pop, I still see him as the ideal replacement.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-02-13, 09:17 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I personally don't think that Manu will go from playing to Head Coach of a major franchise, especially when there are established Assistants that Pop is probably grooming to take over from him anyway.

I can see him becoming an assistant for sure, if Vaughn can do it, but HC is too big a step.
Old 06-02-13, 09:23 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Oof, no no no. Former players rarely make great coaches. They often make serviceable coaches, but rarely great ones. The skills required to be a great player are largely totally distinct from the skills required to be a great coach. Either Manu or TD would make a good assistant coach, but I think a head coaching stint would sully either reputation.

Pop's successor will depend in large part on when he decides to hang them up. If he hangs them up in the next 2-3 years with TD as he's threatened, I'm hoping the Spurs bring over Messina.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-02-13, 10:29 PM
The Master Baiter

I can see Manu doing something with his national team, but not with an NBA team, at least in the head coach capacity. I think when Pop retires, they need to just start clean with an outside candidate. I can't remember anytime where a legendary head coach has retired and an assistant has had a successful run, without riding the team that the former legendary coach built, i.e. Seifert after Bill Walsh, Switzer after Jimmy Johnson, etc.
Old 06-02-13, 11:32 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I know Manu has always said coaches are crazy and that he'll never be one. I think Pop has said the same thing that he would make a good coach but he wasn't interested in coaching so I think that rules that out. All I know is that one of his brother's got a coaching job recently in Argentina. I wouldn't be surprised to see him involved someway with that.
Old 06-02-13, 11:33 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

If you are talking about Ettore Messina, I think the Hawks are going to sink their talons in him very soon.

"Manu is wacko. He has no fear." - Gregg Popovich
Old 06-02-13, 11:39 PM
Official SR Home Builder

Last edited by Eddy from Austin; 06-02-13 at 11:43 PM.
Old 06-03-13, 12:44 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo1347 View Post
If you are talking about Ettore Messina, I think the Hawks are going to sink their talons in him very soon.
Hawks hired Spurs assistant Budenholzer :P
Old 06-03-13, 01:37 AM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyner View Post
......Former players rarely make great coaches. They often make serviceable coaches, but rarely great ones. The skills required to be a great player are largely totally distinct from the skills required to be a great coach...................
I'm just going to throw these names out there: Jerry Sloan, Phil Jackson, Lenny Wilkins, George Karl, Don Nelson, Pat Riley, Doc Rivers just to mention a few. I kinda like Manu's chances myself.
Old 06-03-13, 08:12 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

I could see him as a head coach and if so why not the Spurs?
Old 06-03-13, 09:40 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Future Spurs Coach:

Bruce Bowen

$
Old 06-03-13, 12:11 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money4Nothing View Post
Future Spurs Coach: Bruce Bowen $
Head coach or assistant coach? And he would have to lose the bowtie because Sean would eat him up on play-by-play and interviews.
Old 06-03-13, 01:20 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
Head coach or assistant coach? And he would have to lose the bowtie because Sean would eat him up on play-by-play and interviews.
Yes. He would have to go to Cleveland if he wants to sport that.
Old 06-03-13, 02:02 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
I'm just going to throw these names out there: Jerry Sloan, Phil Jackson, Lenny Wilkins, George Karl, Don Nelson, Pat Riley, Doc Rivers just to mention a few. I kinda like Manu's chances myself.
Sorry, I lost a word in my revision. I meant to say former great players rarely make great coaches. Jerry Sloan and Lenny Wilkens played in too different an era to really compare, in my opinion. Jackson, Karl, Nelson, and Riley had insignificant playing careers. Rivers is the exception, and to be honest, I don't think Rivers is a great coach.

To put it this way: I know of no All-Stars since 1970 who went on to have an accomplished coaching tenure of more than five years.
Old 06-04-13, 04:00 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Assistant Coach Brett Brown... i can get down with him coaching. He did great during the Olympics too.
Old 06-08-13, 05:45 PM
SpursReport Team Member

The name I've heard is Bill Self. As a Kansas guy, I'd hate that.
Old 06-08-13, 05:53 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Tim Duncan... Head coach, Manu assistant!
Old 06-08-13, 09:27 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

My guess is that Manu heads home to Argentina to further the sport there. I can't see Timmy on the sidelines either. I love the Bruce Bowen idea if he's willing to put in some time as an assistant.

Pop and the Spurs have groomed what seems like a dozen or so coaches for other teams. I wonder if any would come back to pick up the reins.