News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 05-31-13, 07:55 AM
SpursReport Team Member

The Red Mamba...

As much as we try and want to trade this guy, we have to realize this guy has been a staple on this team. We all know he's defensively challenged, but he hustles his tail off as much as he can, he never ever complains about playing time, he spreads the floor, he's worked on his game towards the basket, he always seems to be healthy and probably does great in the community. Why would Pop get rid of guy like that, especially at his price. Plus his value to another team is probably not as high as it is with the Spurs. No way the put him out, Bonner is a solid, non-superficial guy.... Plus her wears cheap New Balances. Right up the Spurs alley. I'm not a Bonner guy but at least he tries ( Dwight Howard)!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-31-13, 08:20 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

No offense intended... I've never seen such an inconsistent player get so much positive attention. Is this bonner thread #10?
Old 05-31-13, 08:48 AM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyDthaWay2B View Post
No offense intended... I've never seen such an inconsistent player get so much positive attention. Is this bonner thread #10?
Ever heard of 2013 Manu?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-31-13, 09:12 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyDthaWay2B View Post
It's like... Just cause one of your kids have autism or mentally not right, doesn't mean he gets less attention than any of your other kids. People are always beating up on Bonner.... We all know what he's about, but yet he's still here. It's easy to talk good about the great players, but seems to be easier to whip up on the others. But who else has been on this team longer than Bonner, besides the Big3? But the question is, that we know Bonner sucks sometimes, but why is he still here?
Old 05-31-13, 10:22 AM

Bonner's a role player. he's largely inconsistent (don't count GSW series because that was a horrid matchup for him and 90% of the team) because he's a role player and those usually play well at home as opposed to away.

Manu's been inconsistent as Uwe noted, but those are two different roles. Manu's expected to be a superstar and has to take more chances/risks in his game than Bonner, who's there to do one thing and if he doesn't do it he'll be criticized heavily. Ginobili's there to take over a game (even at this stage of his career) while Bonner is there to stand around and make the 3 ball (while improving on rebounding and giving a shot or two).

both of those guys can face criticism, but it's not technically fair with what they've been given so far a bit especially when you realize both of their roles.

if you wanna talk about someone widely inconsistent, you throw in Gary Neal's name. he has more of a role than Bonner and less than Manu and he's given squat.
Old 05-31-13, 10:54 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
Bonner's a role player. he's largely inconsistent (don't count GSW series because that was a horrid matchup for him and 90% of the team) because he's a role player and those usually play well at home as opposed to away.

Manu's been inconsistent as Uwe noted, but those are two different roles. Manu's expected to be a superstar and has to take more chances/risks in his game than Bonner, who's there to do one thing and if he doesn't do it he'll be criticized heavily. Ginobili's there to take over a game (even at this stage of his career) while Bonner is there to stand around and make the 3 ball (while improving on rebounding and giving a shot or two).

both of those guys can face criticism, but it's not technically fair with what they've been given so far a bit especially when you realize both of their roles.

if you wanna talk about someone widely inconsistent, you throw in Gary Neal's name. he has more of a role than Bonner and less than Manu and he's given squat.
Exactly... That's all I'm saying, there's other people to bash on other than the redhead stepchild. Some guys don't even get of the bench.
Old 05-31-13, 06:26 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJONESIII View Post
It's like... Just cause one of your kids have autism or mentally not right, doesn't mean he gets less attention than any of your other kids. People are always beating up on Bonner.... We all know what he's about, but yet he's still here. It's easy to talk good about the great players, but seems to be easier to whip up on the others. But who else has been on this team longer than Bonner, besides the Big3? But the question is, that we know Bonner sucks sometimes, but why is he still here?

Because Pop likes him, and for more than just his play. I just think he stinks it up a lot more than he comes through, like other players on our team. Im not trying to knock Bonner this time. I have liked his effort on defense as of late. Just think he is getting way too much attention here.

If there were as many Gary Neal threads as there are Bonner, I would bash Neal A LOT. Neal has had some big plays and maybe three games where he had his offense going, but zero threads (I think).

Last edited by TimmyDthaWay2B; 05-31-13 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-18-13, 04:47 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Jose, I totally agree with your comment about Neal. Wow. I feel like someone just gave me permission to write an ode to the RED ROCKET.

Typically on other teams the role Bonner fills would be one that was looked down upon or one that players would attempt to avoid resembling. On the Spurs Bonner fills that role in a way his team mates respect and aspire to be like. After all earning Pop's respect is not easy to come by, especially year after year. When you take everything mentioned above into account and add work ethic, heart, and giving 100% when he is on the court it makes a huge impact on team moral and setting a standard for players transitioning into the Spurs system. It reminds me of when Old Man Willis led the team during sprints. Most would consider him the last person to be the motivator of the team on a physical level at that time but he was. Most people would consider Bonner to be the last player responsible for pushing the team to meet the standard of the Spurs system but he's not. As far as the Spurs standard is concerned he's arguably in the top 8. That is why having him consistently present on the bench as a role player is easy to imagine. He will not change the outcomes on your fantasy basketball team by any means but he definitely impacts the dynamics of a team in real life.

The real question is who is going to start the next Neal bashing thread ?

Can't wait for the show tomorrow. Lets hope the SPURS "punch the stuffing out of them"!
Old 06-18-13, 06:10 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPURSGIRL4Life View Post
Jose, I totally agree with your comment about Neal. Wow. I feel like someone write an ode to the RED ROCKET.

Typically on other teams the role Bonner pushing ould be one that was looked down upon or one that players would attempt to avoid resembling. On the it ends IMOpurs Bonner fills that role in a way his team mates respect and aspire to be like. After all earning Pop's respect is not easy to come by, especially year after year. When you take everything mentioned above into account and add work ethic, heart, and giving 100% when he is on the court it makes a huge impact on team moral and setting a standard for players transitioning into the Spurs system. It reminds me of when Old Man Willis led the team during sprints. Most would consider him the last person to be the motivator of the team on a physical level at that time but he was. Most people would consider Bonner to be the last player responsible for pushing the team to meet the standard of the Spurs system but he's not. As far as the Spurs standard is concerned he's arguably in the top 8. That is why having him consistently present on the bench as a role player is easy to imagine. He will not change the outcomes on your fantasy basketball team by any means but he definitely impacts the dynamics of a team in real life.

The real question is who is going to start the next Neal bashing thread ?

Can't wait for the show tomorrow. Lets hope the SPURS "punch the stuffing out of them"!

Bottom line is Bonner needs to hit some three's... I can live with him being burned on defense if he does what he CAN and is expected to do. As far as him lifting team moral and '' pushing '' the team. I don't buy it. I agree bonner hustles and is a great teammate, but that's where it ends IMO. I also agree Neal has been inconsistent and deserved a couple ugly threads atleast... But he has come up huge on the biggest stage in basketball.... I think we can give him a break now. I have layed off bonner lately... But he can have eternal redemption if he matches Neals big game.
Old 06-18-13, 07:00 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Don't forget Bonner matched Timmy on shots blocked (4) Bonner's role is to stretch the floor and hit an occasional 3. Anything else is bonus. There is a reason Pop keeps bringing him back. Neal is a streak shooter, and a change of pace player. Don't forget he has plantar what ever it is. I love this team, top to bottom.
Win one more!
Old 06-18-13, 07:03 PM
SpursReport Rookie

My post was in reference to the years he has spent with the Spurs not what he has done in the championship round. I am in much agreement he is a role player but I do not think his role is needed against the HEAT. Man everyone is so pedantic around here. Geeze.
Old 06-18-13, 07:13 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Yea I'm talking about his entire spurs tenure in regards to the extra things he supposedly brings. Sorry, didn't mean to make you have to bust out the Geeze.
Old 06-18-13, 07:21 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

Old 06-18-13, 11:22 PM
Herman Cain of the board

what did he do tonight?????
Old 06-18-13, 11:51 PM
Herman Cain of the board

The Red Mamba.................SUCKS!
Old 06-19-13, 12:05 AM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Hey-- I would rather have had THE RED MAMBA on the court on the last play than Splitter. At least you can't leave Bonner open to help.