News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 05-28-13, 03:41 PM
SR 2013 Pick the Winner Champ & Rookie of the Year

Coach Bud named Hawks Head Coach

Just saw this on NBA.com

Hawks Name Mike Budenholzer as Head Coach | THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE ATLANTA HAWKS

Kinda weird to announce something like that while we are still playing no? I guess it may not be a huge distraction but he's been here forever.
Old 05-28-13, 03:46 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

He will be missed, I really thought he would hang in there until Pop and Timmy hung up their spurs.
Old 05-28-13, 03:53 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Danny Ferry knows what he is getting. The Spurs legacy grows. - How bout sending us something back in return....you know, for the effort.....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-28-13, 04:07 PM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Wow it sure is real hard to part with our Coach Bud... *Sigh*

He had been here since 1999 the Original DREAM TEAM with DROB and Sean.

Another thing I MOST RESPECT him for is that he was responsible for DEVELOPING the Project Tony Freaking Parker and he defended TP since day one. Well Done Job Coach Bud.

Well deserved opportunity for one of the BEST Class Act Great Assistant coaches we ever had in our Spurs Org. Best of Luck to him. Def will be missed here...
You all Rock ROCK ROCK! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-28-13, 04:29 PM
SR 2013 Pick the Winner Champ & Rookie of the Year

I wonder who will be pops successor now? Maybe its a plan for him to get head coaching experience before he returns? I'm not necessarily advocating for him to be our next head coach but that was what I always thought was the plan.
Old 05-28-13, 04:41 PM
The Master Baiter

I wonder if this is a sign that that the run is about to be over. Good for him though. It is kind of strange to announce that before the end of the season.
Old 05-28-13, 04:44 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

wow, can moderator merge both threads about this?...

where is PJ carlesimo now? is he any good to come back?
Old 05-28-13, 05:16 PM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

My little cousin played with Bud's son in basketball this year, he was there for the games I saw. His son is in 8th grade, maybe he chose now so his son's transition would be easier. He also will be working for somebody he knows, this is a much better situation than other ones that have been offered and his stock is at an all-time high. I doubt it's a sign of any impending doom.
Old 05-29-13, 08:54 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

strange, it appears mike monroe is a little outphased here... and on i side note, i didnt realize ferry is GM, so is a) cia pop extending roots everywhere, or b) that ferry traitor is stealing talent!!! lolol

By Mike Monroe

May 28, 2013 <-

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Spurs assistant coach Mike Budenholzer has been courted as a potential head coach on several past occasions but never seriously considered leaving the Spurs.

Until now.

Being pursued by the Detroit Pistons and Atlanta Hawks, it appears Budenholzer finally is ready to take on a team of his own.

Insisting that his focus remains fixed on helping the Spurs in the postseason, Budenholzer says he is listening only, but acknowledges he is more open to the opportunities.

“I want the focus to stay with what we're doing,” he said before Monday's Game 4 of the Western Conference finals against the Grizzlies at FedExForum. “What I will say is I'm open to listening and considering opportunities more so than I have been in the past. But I really don't want this to become a story or a distraction in any way.”

CONTINUE HERE
Old 05-29-13, 11:17 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Congratulations to him, I think the Hawks are finally going to transition into something more serious with Ferry being the GM and now Bud as head coach.

This is the greedy part of being a Spurs fan, but I was really hoping he would take over once Pop decides to retire. He's been a huge factor in developing our players and making our beloved Spurs compete at such a high level for all these years. I wish him the best, but if things don't work out in Atlanta he's should have an open invite to come back to the Spurs anytime.
Old 05-29-13, 12:03 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I imagine Monty Williams has an open invite to return also.
Old 05-29-13, 12:09 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I would think maybe Avery?
Old 05-29-13, 01:44 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyAdamII View Post
I would think maybe Avery?
Maybe but I'm not so sure. I get a sense that he doesn't sit well with players.
Old 05-29-13, 02:00 PM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
Maybe but I'm not so sure. I get a sense that he doesn't sit well with players.
Very true, it's been said that TD is not really an AJ fan, that he's one main reason we got rid of AJ. Also, i don't think AJ would take the demotion, Carlesimo knows the core group and organization well, he would be a better fit as head assistant methinks.
Old 05-29-13, 03:46 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I don't think AJ coaches Duncan, I do think he has a strong chance in the post Duncan era. It seems like Pop may keep tabs on him, and he has a history with the organization and experience with being a head coach....

Also similarly , Mike Brown?
Old 05-29-13, 04:40 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

As an Atlanta resident, I'm glad that the Hawks are becoming Spurs East

As far as the next Spurs head coach, depending on timing, I can see the Spurs being one with the balls to bring over Ettore Messina.
Old 05-30-13, 01:51 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

He will be an excellent head coach in the NBA. He will be missed.

I really thought Mike would someday take over for Pop.