SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-13, 01:33 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

De Colo very frustrated with lack of playing time in the postseason

De Colo very frustrated with lack of playing time in the postseason

Written by Jeff Garcia on .

Being an NBA rookie is hard enough but being an rookie with the San Antonio Spurs is another thing.

On a team with veterans such as Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker and a hard-nosed coach like Gregg Popovich, a rookie has to impress if he wants to crack the rotation and see steady minutes. Something rookie guard Nando De Colo is experiencing right now.
Nando played in 72 regular season games but saw his time on the court dwindle as the season progressed. He went from playing in 16 games in December to nine game in April to three games in the postseason where he has only totaled nine minutes. And now that he is not even suiting up for games in the playoffs nor has played in the Warriors and Grizzlies series, Nando is finding it very frustrating and it isn't sitting well with him.
In an interview with French site La Voix Du Nord, Nando vented about his lack of playing time with the Spurs.
"It really is not easy especially since the months before the playoffs, I played 10-15 minutes behind Tony. Then I found myself more on the bench than on the court. I played the first round against the Lakers, but usually at the end of the game when the game was already won. Already, it was not easy. And the series against Golden State, I'm in a suit, that's upsetting. I came here to play. I prepared all year to be ready for the playoffs. Finally, I do not play. The worst is that it is one of the assistants that tells me that I'm in a suit as if it was normal, but it will be before anything happened. The morning of the game, I was leaving after the shoot around and he said "Nando, okay? Tonight you're in a suit." You say ****. You do not know what happened. You're in a new series. You wonder why you, and not another. It is not obvious at all. At first you think it is a game or two. Assistants tell you that things can change and, in fact, nothing changes. But that's coaching decisions. As it gets, there is not much to say. There is little practices, you cannot regain your place. I try to keep my morale and I continue to work on my own. I go to the weight room, I do my individual sessions in the gym, cardio. I'm just waiting to be told, you're back in the list. But in my opinion, it does not depend on that of an injury. This will surely last until the end. "
One can see where De Colo is coming from. The NBA playoffs is basketball's highest stage, it is a chance to play against the best-of-the-best in the NBA, and a Nando is a competitor, however, in the playoffs, player rotations tighten up and unfortunately for De Colo, he is the odd man out right now. Cory Joseph is playing better, Gary Neal is making shots and let's face it, Nando isn't a great defender which is needed in the postseason.

continue reading here

Old 05-24-13, 01:43 PM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

He's going to find himself somewhere else real quick if he keeps shooting off his mouth.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-24-13, 01:45 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Yeah, do the same thing that got a VET like Jax kicked off this team. He doesn't even have the history of playoff performances like Jax either, so if one can get released well he might find himself there as well.

BTW at the end, Gary Neal is making shots? On what planet is that? Nando is not a great defender and thats what is needed in the playoffs, so Neal is? LMFAO that there got a good chuckle out of me. I see why he wants to play and I know it's probably frustrating.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.

Last edited by Rzarector7; 05-24-13 at 01:48 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-24-13, 01:49 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

It is hard for a young person to go from being a big fish in a little pond to the end of the bench in the NBA. He has a future with the Spurs but will have to lose the ego to stick.
Old 05-24-13, 02:46 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Nando is okay, but he's not very polished. He doesn't shoot well, his handles and turn overs are suspect, he doesn't have the athleticsm like Manu to get to the rim and make something happen. I think corey Joseph is slightly better overall, but Joseph has paid his dues
Old 05-24-13, 03:17 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyAdamII View Post
Nando is okay, but he's not very polished. He doesn't shoot well, his handles and turn overs are suspect, he doesn't have the athleticsm like Manu to get to the rim and make something happen. I think corey Joseph is slightly better overall, but Joseph has paid his dues
I have to agree. Having a player sounding off while the season is still active, especially during the playoffs, is not helping his stock value any. I like Nando’s potential but if he continues to announce his displeasures of not suiting up or if any other articles like this one pop up before the season is over, DeColo will find himself part of an off season trade or he’ll probably just stay in Europe and play. I’d really like to know what Diaw or Parker are advising him to channel his frustrations, if they are at all.
Old 05-24-13, 04:09 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzarector7 View Post
Yeah, do the same thing that got a VET like Jax kicked off this team. He doesn't even have the history of playoff performances like Jax either, so if one can get released well he might find himself there as well.

BTW at the end, Gary Neal is making shots? On what planet is that? Nando is not a great defender and thats what is needed in the playoffs, so Neal is? LMFAO that there got a good chuckle out of me. I see why he wants to play and I know it's probably frustrating.
I don't see anything wrong with what he is saying here. In fact I would have a bigger problem if he wasn't frustrated that he wasn't playing. The problem with SJax, based on reports, is that he was allowing his frustrations to affect his work on and off the court with the team and that is why he was cut.

I think honesty in an interview should be praised. His place on the roster and rotation should only be about his work on and off the floor, not what he says in an interview.

Last edited by b1gdon; 05-24-13 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-24-13, 04:13 PM
SpursReport Team Member

What's the problem of this guy?

Team is focused for winning 6 more games and 5th ring and this guy is complaining about PT? He should shut his mouth and carry on to support from behind the bench. This is not a college team.

Next year when Neal and(possibly Mills) leaves and we're drafting a SF, our PG-SG rotation will be tightened to 5 guys. Parker-Green-Joseph-Manu-de Colo and he will find playing time. He is a rookie and this is not his contract year. He don't need to think about playing time now.
Old 05-24-13, 08:49 PM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

I am very excited to have Nando on our roster.

However, Pop is doing the right thing so far IMO he is playing the right hands who play better Defense now.

And DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!

Patience is needed with Nando. His time will come if needed. All he needs is to keep a cool attitude and stay ready. Pop's system is very complicated and is based on some specific things need to happen, some players will find it a bit difficult but there is a method behind Pop's choices. He is playing a chess match up with opponents coaches.

I trust in what Pop thinks is best to make this Spurs team win. There is a Great Opportunity we should Embrace it and Grab it in any way and make it happen. Spurs control their destiny now. It is all up for GRAB so Grab it before it goes away. NOW.

Go Spurs Go!
You all Rock ROCK ROCK! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Old 05-24-13, 11:10 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gdon View Post
I don't see anything wrong with what he is saying here. In fact I would have a bigger problem if he wasn't frustrated that he wasn't playing. The problem with SJax, based on reports, is that he was allowing his frustrations to affect his work on and off the court with the team and that is why he was cut.

I think honesty in an interview should be praised. His place on the roster and rotation should only be about his work on and off the floor, not what he says in an interview.
He needs to earn his mins though! I understand his frustration but Joseph is playing better now. I like the fact he wants to play on this stage badly! BUT HE IS GOOD enough or ready for it? I don't think he is right now. You are right it's about what he does on the floor, unfortunately this year I didn't see too much of him to make me think he is a must play above who is playing now. Neal at times though I wish we would bench for him or T Mac lol.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 05-25-13, 10:24 AM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

The more I've thought about it, the more I've come to the conclusion he just needs to get over it. Play defense, cut down on your turnovers and quit thinking you're owed something.

I'm not overly impressed by Joseph and honestly I think he's getting cut a break because he's a favorite of RC, he's quicker than Nando and he's just a kid, now maybe in a year or two he'll be something, but now meh....
Old 05-25-13, 10:46 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Nando needs to shut up! He should be thankful the Spurs brought him state side and gave him a contract. There's really nothing he does well, from what I've seen he's not fast, not a great defender, not a great shooter, he passed the ball decently and thats it.

I actually hope this turns into another SJAX situation and he gets axed, I would rather have someone else at minimal cost. Cory Joesph has playing excellent as a reserve point guard, maybe he should look at what Joseph did buy getting better in the D-League and coming in ready. Idiot!
Old 05-25-13, 12:08 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Why is it that folks can't just disagree with what he said without calling him names?
Old 05-25-13, 12:50 PM
The Eternal Optimist

Don't see it as popping off so much, as it is a very competitive young man. he will be just fine. it will drive to new heights over the summer. Many, Tim, Tony and company will help deal with it and move in a positive fashion. Tony, Manu, and Corey have all been there in their own way. Would we want someone who was just ho, hum, I'm just here for the ride?