shooters were just out of sync. I think
Tony was really tired but was actually
trying to get to 20pts. Glad PoP took
him out for a while, cuz he was clearly
hurting the team.

Everybody was gassed, seemed like Timmay
Was the only one who had a pep in his step
Since he sat for so long.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-22-13, 10:14 AM
SpursReport Team Member

agree

Tony was a bit tired and there were times we were trying to create offense with Danny and Kawi. Also I thought Tony took an ill advised 3 pt attempt.

Pop maybe didn't manage Tony's minutes very well I don't think, but what do I know.

I'm not discouraged by the comeback. There were some understandable reasons why, and things that can be corrected. Tony Allen's drama bailed them out along with Manus two mistakes.

I look for Spurs to take one in Memphis and maybe sweep. The difference has been team rebounding and Splitter and Duncans defense. Splitter particularly has closed out very well on Gasol without allowing the drive. He and Duncan have also guarded the rim up close extremely well against them..

IMO Bayless and Pondexter will have to become major players for Memphis to pull this off. They simply can't spread the floor enough to score what they need to to beat us.
Is our defense that good? I think so. And the scary part is that the whole team seems to take a sadistic pride in shutting people down. What is Pop feeding them? They looked brainwashed out there, a single minded machine that just eats up their opponents. -----pjrfan
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-22-13, 10:19 AM
The Eternal Optimist

good news, they do not play again until Saturday. After that it is every other day. they are all very much aware of of last year's debacle in their last four games. Minutes will probably managed much better too. seems like saturday with all the rest is a really crucial game, but who am I?
Old 05-22-13, 10:35 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Refs certainly had a hand in the game with the Spurs getting rung up for fouls throughout the 4th quarter.

Still, a 9 point quarter is inexcusable. Mr Bonner could have put the game away, but he started clanking open 3s again (so much for his reliability).

Thankfully, foul trouble kept Timmy on the bench for so long that he was the only player with fresh legs during OT.
Old 05-22-13, 12:11 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I think Pop held Tony out of the game too long. Once he came out of the 3rd, we really lost our offensive groove, and by the time we put Tony back in, we never really recovered, and Tim bailed us out.

at the end of the day 2-0 lead, i can't be too picky.
Old 05-22-13, 01:09 PM
Been here too long to be a Spursreport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckennaspur1 View Post
Refs certainly had a hand in the game with the Spurs getting rung up for fouls throughout the 4th quarter.

Still, a 9 point quarter is inexcusable. Mr Bonner could have put the game away, but he started clanking open 3s again (so much for his reliability).

Thankfully, foul trouble kept Timmy on the bench for so long that he was the only player with fresh legs during OT.
One bad game for Bonner and you write him off lol. I agree he missed a big one last night, but still he is shooting 13-24 in the playoffs. For Matt Bonner, those makes are gravy.
Old 05-22-13, 01:14 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit7 View Post
One bad game for Bonner and you write him off lol. I agree he missed a big one last night, but still he is shooting 13-24 in the playoffs. For Matt Bonner, those makes are gravy.
He does not shoot a lot so when he does shoot..............he needs to make them when they count. That's why he is on the floor late in the game. If he can't make them late in the game.....might as well put someone else in.
Old 05-22-13, 02:17 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Bonner is deadly only when he has time for his shot. One he missed was contested and another was rushed. Also has been working hard on defense. We just started taking ill advised shots in the fourth quarter wasting our big lead. I believe that Spurs will come back strong Saturday after getting 3 days of rest.
Old 05-22-13, 03:23 PM
The Master Baiter

It just amazes me how everyone just ignores Manu's bad games, and there are a lot of them. Yes, Tony was gassed and tried to do too much at the end, but isn't that "Manu Time"? Yes, Bonner didn't hit as many 3's and didn't hit any late, but no one else did, and Manu is the KING of ill advised 3's. Tony needed someone to spell him and run the offense with TD on the bench with fouls, where was Manu? Screwing things up. This town needs to see reality.
Old 05-22-13, 04:10 PM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

$hit happnes....can't expect the Spurs to be perfect for 48 min each and every game. Memphis is a great team with great defense. Was I happy about it? Absolutly not, but they still managed to find a way to win and go up 2-0. They didn't win by 21 like last game and we wouldn't be having this conversation if they won game 2 by 15-20 points. But, the fact still reamins, a "W" is a "W". You can win by 4 or by 30....it's still just one win and they're up 2-0. I can't complain! Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-22-13, 04:27 PM
SpursReport Rookie

The only reality is this; Manu needs to takes shots to open up his game. And he only took six shots, made 3, and one of them was the play at the end of the game when Tony and Bonner put him in a position to throw up a last second shot. We have an entire thread on Bonner playing well, when in fact his foul on ZBo was a worse play than Manus. Manus came off a complete hustle play, after he tried to bail out TP and Bonner at the end of the shot clock. Bonner was completely out of position and committed a horrible foul on ZBo. That was a huge turning pointing the ebb and flow. And, made it a 4 point game. People on this board SHOULD be happy when Bonner hits a few shots. He has to, in order to make any impactst all. He's not a inate basketball player. He has to have that short moment to think before he reacts. It's what makes it tough for him to play help defense, or get a shot off if someone closes out fast. Has he played ok defense on ZBo? I think he has followed the game plan, but we are fronting him every time. What has been making it tough, is weak side help, and on ball pressure on the entry pass. Lets face it, every time Pop sees it getting out of control, he will put Manu in. He settles the team down. He stretches the floor just like Bonner does, even if he doesnt hit shots. He is the one they call on to make whatever play we run at ends of games work on every one of our sets. Not just a single set. He also gives them a second ball handler when he and TP ate in together to releave pressure. If Joseph is in, Manu HAS to be in. Oh, and he has cojones bigger than Bonners Red head. That's what this town sees in Manu, and what wins titles.
Old 05-22-13, 04:32 PM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Not only Bonner but all Spurs stopped moving that ball and looked dead in the fourth. Tony was a MONSTER and did an outstanding job in the first 3 quarters with 18 assists, however Tony needed to take a breather so Memphis got back in the game and spent so much energy to do so but all they could come up with was crating that OT with their dirty call from Allen. Spurs still closed them in OT!!!Thank Goodness for Timmmmmmmmmaaaay coming BIG in OT.

Look all I care about is that Spurs got the W...

I don't see any crack of light of hope Memphis can build upon in that fourth quarter come back especially since Tony Allen was just did some fine acting job to get that none flagrant call on Manu which was easily a hard PO foul not a flagrant.... Oh well... Officials were not consistent all game long, but that should not stop Spurs from playing better and forcing the W!!!!

Spurs however I can see them adjust better in game 3. For example Pop can manage Spurs starters minutes wiser which could very well mean Spurs go up 3-0 by then.

Go Spurs Go!
You all Rock ROCK ROCK! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!

Last edited by spurscrazed; 05-22-13 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-22-13, 04:33 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Very well put Spurcrazed.
Old 05-22-13, 04:52 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Agree with with Spurcrazed, also fatigue has a lot to do with it, both teams missed wide open shots and made dumb defensive errors. I believe 3 days rest will do wonders, especially for the Spurs. Manu brings an intangible that cannot be taught, the will to win. In spite of his goof ups
thats what makes him special. Bonner is another tool in the Spurs tool box and brings a different aspect to the team. That is what makes for a deep team, when one thing is not working we can make a change.
When we only score 9 points in the 4th quarter and still end up winning we have to be doing something right. In the Spurs we trust.

Last edited by clovisnmspurfan; 05-22-13 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-22-13, 08:33 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurscrazed View Post
Not only Bonner but all Spurs stopped moving that ball and looked dead in the fourth. Tony was a MONSTER and did an outstanding job in the first 3 quarters with 18 assists, however Tony needed to take a breather so Memphis got back in the game and spent so much energy to do so but all they could come up with was crating that OT with their dirty call from Allen. Spurs still closed them in OT!!!Thank Goodness for Timmmmmmmmmaaaay coming BIG in OT.

Look all I care about is that Spurs got the W...

I don't see any crack of light of hope Memphis can build upon in that fourth quarter come back especially since Tony Allen was just did some fine acting job to get that none flagrant call on Manu which was easily a hard PO foul not a flagrant.... Oh well... Officials were not consistent all game long, but that should not stop Spurs from playing better and forcing the W!!!!

Spurs however I can see them adjust better in game 3. For example Pop can manage Spurs starters minutes wiser which could very well mean Spurs go up 3-0 by then.

Go Spurs Go!

Regarding the refs not being consistent....I personally don't think consistent is the word. Here is what I saw. The spurs came out of halftime pretty much where they left off. They were pretty hot. After a few made buckets, the whistles started pouring in for Memphis. Foul after foul, three on TD in a 30 second span. That slowed the game down, took out our best big man, and put the spurs in the penalty early. That was a big factor in Memphis getting back into it. I think one sided better describes the officiating.

Im not discounting our terrible shooting late. That is the other big factor.

Last edited by TimmyDthaWay2B; 05-22-13 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-23-13, 12:46 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

the only bright side, is that the early foul trouble give SA fresh tim duncan who took over overtime...
Old 05-23-13, 10:36 AM
SR 2010 Western Conference Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
It just amazes me how everyone just ignores Manu's bad games, and there are a lot of them. Yes, Tony was gassed and tried to do too much at the end, but isn't that "Manu Time"? Yes, Bonner didn't hit as many 3's and didn't hit any late, but no one else did, and Manu is the KING of ill advised 3's. Tony needed someone to spell him and run the offense with TD on the bench with fouls, where was Manu? Screwing things up. This town needs to see reality.
I would guess that most people just ignore Manu's bad games because they are counting on you coming here and making sure everyone knows you think he always has a bad game and makes ill advised decisions all the time. And that if we loose is because of Manu and if we win is because Spurs are too good even to overcome Manu's shortcomings

So why bother to comment about Manu when we already have you for that?
Old 05-23-13, 12:25 PM
Herman Cain of the board

how many bad playoff games has Bonner had?
Old 05-23-13, 12:31 PM
Been here too long to be a Spursreport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
He does not shoot a lot so when he does shoot..............he needs to make them when they count. That's why he is on the floor late in the game. If he can't make them late in the game.....might as well put someone else in.
13-24, if you can find another guy on the team shooting that high of a percentage from the 3, then put him in. But I would rather have him take the 3 then just about anyone else not named Danny Green.
Old 05-23-13, 12:54 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Needing a clutch shot to win the game, Bonner would be waaay down the list of who I would like to see take it. Now he's had a pretty good play offs, comparatively speaking for his game, but clutch doesn't come to mind when we talk about Bonner. And listen, this whole Bonner/ Manu thing is ridiculous. Its apples to oranges. We are talking about a complete one dimensional role player, who if he knocks down some shots in the playoffs for once we give him an entire thread. Versus Manu being a key component, multifaceted cog in an attempt to win another title. Glad Bonner has hit some shots. Glad he can bang ZBo since we are double teaming him every time he touched it, and Bonner only misses the occasional rotation. We will take that. But he is what he is. Play him a few minutes. If he hits some shots and doesn't hurt us too bad, we will take it. Manu, on the other hand, breathes life into the Spurs. He will bring things to a game and series that the staff and opponents love and fear. Manu is a key to a title. Anything Bonner gives us is a true bonus.
Old 05-23-13, 12:57 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit7 View Post
13-24, if you can find another guy on the team shooting that high of a percentage from the 3, then put him in. But I would rather have him take the 3 then just about anyone else not named Danny Green.
more like 34-60 games. anyway what's wrong with Green this year????
Old 05-23-13, 03:28 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm View Post
I would guess that most people just ignore Manu's bad games because they are counting on you coming here and making sure everyone knows you think he always has a bad game and makes ill advised decisions all the time. And that if we loose is because of Manu and if we win is because Spurs are too good even to overcome Manu's shortcomings

So why bother to comment about Manu when we already have you for that?
So I have the power to keep people from posting things about Manu? I more awesome than I thought.

This wasn't a Bonner>Manu thing. I mentioned Bonner because everyone seems to dump on one person when something goes wrong, and it's usually Bonner. And they seem to ignore the things that start the opposing team getting momentum, like turnovers, bad shots, stupid defensive mistakes...and a lot of the time Manu is right in the middle of that. I'm not saying no one else was the cause, but it's one thing to take good shots and miss them, it's another to try a pass that has a 10% chance of working, or jacking up 3's that don't even touch the rim early in the shot clock, etc. The thing is Manu used to make up for that in the 4th quarter, he can't do that anymore.
Old 05-23-13, 05:54 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Hmmm. Must be watching through Ginger colored sunglasses to see what no one else does. Including the Spurs staff.
Old 05-23-13, 06:42 PM

Quote:
So I have the power to keep people from posting things about Manu? I more awesome than I thought.
Yes, you are awesome. Didn't you know?

Quote:
everyone seems to dump on one person when something goes wrong and I'll always pick Manu for that.
There, I corrected your statement.
Old 05-23-13, 08:16 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabspur View Post
Hmmm. Must be watching through Ginger colored sunglasses to see what no one else does. Including the Spurs staff.
The average fan doesn't see it, people who have watched basketball a long time see it. Maybe the culprit here is Manu colored glasses. And what do you expect the front office to do? They've invested in him, he's a fan favorite, and he is functional in about a third of the games he plays in, when he's not injured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm View Post
There, I corrected your statement.
That's fine, you can think what you want. I'm called a Manu hater, I say I'm a Manu realist. I don't kiss the ground he walks on. I've been hard on others too. I once said that TP would never be able to carry a team on his shoulders, yet here we are.
Old 05-23-13, 09:00 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I think the issue is this: you obviously know the game. Yet you are steadfast in bashing a guy that not only has been a key to 3 titles, but a lot more to the city and organization. And, is still that way. Although he is not what he once was, he still is a key component to what we do, and vital to any chance we have to another title. Manu has always played the way he does now, he just does do in limited minutes now. He is still the most clutch player we have, and does so many little things that don't even show up in the box score. There isn't a GM, or coach, or player in this league that wouldn't want him on their team. And, in crunch time, I'd venture to day he still strikes more fear in the opponent than any other Spur. All that said, you tend to single out wild shots or errant passes. What and how he does those things is part of what makes him so feared and so dangerous. I'd take a wild Manu shot every once in a while to get all the good things that come along with it. He just makes plays. He's always around the ball, and is not afraid to be the man when others shrink. All that being said, and I know you recognize this, you will single out a turnover or crazy shot of his. Yet, you seem to defend a player like Bonner, who is truthfully nothing more than a one dimensional role guy. One that in veritably will get lost in the game, or simply disappear. He has zero basketball IQ, no true feel for the game, and can't master many of the fundamental skills that could make him better. While Manu has stepped up time after time after time, you tend to focus on an area of each game he did not play well. Truth be told, I think Bonner is a great guy. I think he's good to have on our team. But to incessantly defend his limited contributions, yet rag on one of top players who gives us that 'it', that most teams don't have, makes no sense to most fans. And he missed the 12 of the last 13 games of the season, (we went 5-7), and is still rounding back into form. His shots not there, but his all around game, and obviously clutch shooting has been a major lift for us. Heck, I hope every one of our guys has great games. Even Bonner. He makes the game winner in game 7 of the finals, I'll eat all the crow you serve. It's just hard to see what justification one has for one of our main guys, and the true heart of our team and city basketball wise.
Old 05-24-13, 01:53 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

Pop should have used his bench as we had too many unforced TO's in the end. Granted the Spurs played the best D i've seen thru 31/2 Quarters that they just ran out of gas the end.
Old 05-24-13, 08:48 AM

Quote:
That's fine, you can think what you want. I'm called a Manu hater, I say I'm a Manu realist. I don't kiss the ground he walks on. I've been hard on others too. I once said that TP would never be able to carry a team on his shoulders, yet here we are.

You can say what you want (as we can all do in this forum) but when a topic is supposed to be started to address 15 min of bad basketball from the whole team and you single out Manu's performance in a few plays of that span sounds more like a Manu hater.

Also, you say you have been hard on others too, but I've seen you defend and talk good about other guys (like Bonner or what you just wrote about Parker carrying the team on his shoulders) and so far I've never seen you talk any good at all about Manu (and plenty of bad things about him have you said since I've been reading here).

Is Manu perfect? No way. Is he as good as he was some years ago? Unfortunately, no. But I think he still has some good things in him and in his game and I haven't seen you address any of that, just the bad things and the mistakes he has (and by the way, I don't agree with your perception of 1 good game out of 3). So don't be surprised if evevn though you want to call yourself a Manu realist, most of the forum might perceive you as a Manu hater, even people that "don't kiss the ground Manu walks on".
Old 05-24-13, 10:48 AM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyDthaWay2B View Post
Regarding the refs not being consistent....I personally don't think consistent is the word. Here is what I saw. The spurs came out of halftime pretty much where they left off. They were pretty hot. After a few made buckets, the whistles started pouring in for Memphis. Foul after foul, three on TD in a 30 second span. That slowed the game down, took out our best big man, and put the spurs in the penalty early. That was a big factor in Memphis getting back into it. I think one sided better describes the officiating.

Im not discounting our terrible shooting late. That is the other big factor.
I would say it is what it is. Yes Refs were quick on calling the Spurs come second half of that game no question. And I used the word inconsistent ref calls because it sounded less bitter to be honest with you..

Sure the refs did affect on that game a lot by calling so many fouls, but my observation here was that our Spurs are much more mature this year to fall for that trap again. Unlike last year where the Spurs rolled through the first two rounds with two sweeps, this year the Spurs are working more maturely and Pop is managing their minutes better so they don't get GASSED again and lose games after the refs try to fight you too besides opponents.

There should always be some RESERVE in the Spurs TANK because they will face this on the road again in games three and four....And that should balance out for the Spurs favor despite all the attacks and curve balls thrown at Spurs from opponents and refs too...

Spurs will survive this team much better than last year WCF IMHO because this year is nothing like last year.

Go Spurs Go
You all Rock ROCK ROCK! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!