News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-13, 02:26 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

TMac not guaranteed any playing time by Pop

---------------------------------------------------

Veteran guard/forward Tracy McGrady, who has become the Spurs' victory cigar in games after being signed at the end of the season, said that when the Spurs brought him in, they made it abundantly clear there were no assurances as far as his playing time.

"There were no promises. Pop said 'I might play you or might not.' And he came to ask if I was cool with that. And I said I was cool with that. I want to play if I can, but if not, I'll support the guys."

Spurs Practice Report: Kawhi Leonard knows to sit in the corner - CBSSports.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-21-13, 02:53 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

McGrady discovered the difference in that out-of-the-blue phone call from Spurs coach and president of basketball Gregg Popovich in mid-April.

“A lot of people in the past would tell me one thing, but their actions don't speak what their words were telling me,” he said. “I had a very transparent conversation with Pop. I understood the situation and respected that. It was a great thing, and it was up to me to take that opportunity.

“He said, 'I might play you; I might not, and I need to know if you're cool with that.'

“For him to put that out on Front Street in our first conversation, I said, 'Pop, I'm cool with that. I understand. If called on, I'll be ready; if not, I'll support the guys while I'm here.'”

Eight pounds lighter than the day he reported to the Spurs, McGrady believes his conditioning level will allow for some quality minutes, if asked. If not, he will enjoy the ride and relish any role Popovich gives him.

“This is a promotion for me,” he said. “For so many years, I tried to compete and take a team out of the first round. It just didn't happen. Now it's possible I can be a champion before I leave this game. Even though it won't be the type of role I would like, I will still be a part of something.”

McGrady 'cool' with role and all that buzz - San Antonio Express-News
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!