News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 05-17-13, 12:34 AM
SpursReport Rookie

MEMPHIS = MATCHUP NIGHTMARE

Next series scares me to death... for reasons listed below.

1. Marc Gasol & Randolph - Negate and beat up Tim Duncan. By the 5th or 6th game, I can see Duncan being completely neutralized - Good thing we finished off the GSW in 6 so we can have a 4 game layoff between Gm2 and Gm3 of the WCF.

2. Mike Conley is playing out of his mind - Top 8 PG in the league right now. Consistent, solid, doesn't make many mistakes and the scariest thing - he can check Parker and play him straight up. With Parker not at 100% - Conley could even outplay him.

3. Tony Allen - stick him on Manu - I can see some horrible shooting nites coming up from Ginobili. Stick Tony Allen on any perimeter player we have that gets hot... that's trouble.

4. Prince - another long armed defensive strength the Grizz have. Basically they have the tools to defend the perimeter and the inside muscle to defend the paint.

This is the worst matchup possible for the Spurs... out of any team in the playoffs right now IMO.
We lose any of the 1st two games of the series and it can be a very short WCF trip for us. We need LIGHTS OUT performances from the likes of Tiago, Danny Green, Neal and God-forbid - BONNER.

Our 1 true advantage in this series on the court is Kawhi Leonard... but that's only a slight advantage. This series is gonna come down to our role players and bench. Our stars are all going to be evened out by the Grizzlies' stars.

What do you guys think? Help me to see our strengths and the matchup headaches we give them.

If you have a problem, Just NEAL. WITH. IT!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-17-13, 12:36 AM
SpursReport Team Member

How Leonard and green play in that series will determine it IMO
Old 05-17-13, 12:37 AM
Moderator & Chatroom Greeter

How is their bench? Coz I tell u right now...our bench saved us tonight and will be crucial from now on.
Relax for the night, enjoy this win and will see about how good they r against us.
Because it's us. Not any other team they'll be facing.
Prince is a choker BTW...
[email protected]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-17-13, 12:49 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Yeh it's a bit early to poop our big boy pants....

Tonight Manu and tony went 4 of 22 and we still won on the road, so there is hope if they are not able to dominate.

We also have our own all star forward and long defenders and we have been there before and they haven't so keep it together it's not all nightmare.

And yes why can't people let us enjoy a win before making us stress about 3 days away.
Old 05-17-13, 01:07 AM
SR 2013 Pick the Winner Champ & Rookie of the Year

Tim and tiago need to get their bigs in foul trouble and not the other way around.
Old 05-17-13, 01:12 AM
SR 2013 Pick the Winner Champ & Rookie of the Year

They really only have an 8 man rotation with only about 6 effective players from what i can remember.
Old 05-17-13, 01:38 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Play Baynes!
Old 05-17-13, 02:01 AM
The Master Baiter

I don't think they have a clear advantage at any position with Parker hurting. It's as even as you can get. It's going to come down to who can make shots down the stretch. I do think Diaw may serve well in this series to draw the bigs out of the paint for Tony. KY will have to create for himself in this series, because they aren't going to let them shoot the 3.
Old 05-17-13, 02:27 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

TMAC TMAC TMAC!
Old 05-17-13, 02:29 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I'm expecting a low points series. They have no outside threat except Pondexter and we can risk their swingmen %28 3 pointer Tony Allen and %25 three pointer Tayshaun Prince.

They're a very similar team to Lakers except they're much solid defender and have better back-court. But we know how to play against those kind of teams.

On offensive end, we should move the ball without any ehsitation. They're playing with 2 big-men and they can not defend our shooters if we move the ball as fast as we do in regular season. If our shoot doesn't fall, we should attack to the rim with Manu and Parker to create foul problem to their big men or drive and kick passes.

They're playing with a very narrow rotation, they use only 7 men in rotation. They're using Gasol and Zach at least 40 minutes per night and while series advance, this will also hurt them. It wouldn't hurt them in the pervious rounds, but now we're in western finals and those guys have more tired legs.

If we win the first 2 games in our home, everything will be in our favor. But even the series goes 1-1 to there, I don't fear their arena. They couldn't beat OKC more than 6 points in none of their 4 victories and OKC was using with rookie PG instead of their 2nd most valuable player.

I'm hopeful in this series, I'm expecting a 4-2 victory.

Last edited by tuncaboylu; 05-17-13 at 06:31 AM.
Old 05-17-13, 06:13 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesuspence281 View Post
Tim and tiago need to get their bigs in foul trouble and not the other way around.
That's the key IMO. Throughout the playoffs, gasol and Randolph had it their way and never faced foul trouble. Their bench with pondexter and bayless is inferior to our bench. Glad there's 2 days rest before Sunday

- Confucius
Old 05-17-13, 07:44 AM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

I ain't scaaaaared one bit. The cubs can play only one style of bball(half court), they can't get up and down the court by any means....they're not deep at all. They don't have any shooters like GSW did. They're tough but in a different way. I think people are giving them too much credit. Think of it this way, would the Spurs have done any worse against the LAC or OKC w/o Westbrick? I just don't see the hype. They play well but can be beat! Calm down folks, Spurs will handle'em fine!!!
Old 05-17-13, 08:26 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by esparzar1 View Post
I ain't scaaaaared one bit. The cubs can play only one style of bball(half court), they can't get up and down the court by any means....they're not deep at all. They don't have any shooters like GSW did. They're tough but in a different way. I think people are giving them too much credit. Think of it this way, would the Spurs have done any worse against the LAC or OKC w/o Westbrick? I just don't see the hype. They play well but can be beat! Calm down folks, Spurs will handle'em fine!!!
I completely agree.

We will dominate them. They can only play one way . . dump the ball inside. This is the series where Tiago will earn his paycheck next season. He is going to get under Gasol's skin.

Even though Gasol won DPOY, he won't be as effective stopping Tony Parker's drives as Bogut was. He isn't the shot blocker that Bogut is. Tony is going to eat Memphis alive, Mark my words.

Spurs in 6!
Old 05-17-13, 08:41 AM
Delusional Manu Lover

Yeah.......I think it is too early to panic. The Spurs split the season series so they can beat Memphis, but they have to play better than they did the last series. They are killing me with all the missed free throws. They suckered me into believing that they were a good free throw team during the regular season.

"He said, 'Go for every pump fake,' " Hibbert said.
Old 05-17-13, 08:41 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

SA IS DEEPER... hope pop send waves of guys to wear down Memphis legs...
Old 05-17-13, 08:56 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kager View Post
Yeh it's a bit early to poop our big boy pants....

Tonight Manu and tony went 4 of 22 and we still won on the road, so there is hope if they are not able to dominate.

We also have our own all star forward and long defenders and we have been there before and they haven't so keep it together it's not all nightmare.

And yes why can't people let us enjoy a win before making us stress about 3 days away.
+1
Old 05-17-13, 09:05 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I think its all hands on deck. Blair, Baynes and McGrady. Pop is going to have to leave it all on the floor so to speak. If Tim is going to have a chance at 5, he must mix it up like never before. The rebounding MUST be there. I believe Tiago and Baynes have the girth to deal with Gasol. Blair must offensive rebound and play smart, Bonner must rewind back to the all star game and the free throws, silly passing and execution must be better!
Old 05-17-13, 09:08 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Memphis will be tough... but we are much better than we were two years ago.

Tiago and Boris will have to play great defense which I think they can, but must also provide some scoring through offensive boards and running the floor.

Our perimeter game will struggle. Conley, Allen, and Prince are great perimeter defenders, and Gasol and Zach really cover the rim. Even if Parker gets there, he will have a tough time shooting over. Tiago, Diaw, Blair will need to roll a lot and finish, because that is where our best chances might be.

I think Baynes will need to play in spots to help defend, rebound, and get Tim and Tiago rest. We can't wear out Timmy. He can't play 35 min against this front line.

Neal needs to get hot.

Bonner needs to sit and cheer.

Pop needs to study Zach and Gasol and come up with a good plan.

But thats it
Is our defense that good? I think so. And the scary part is that the whole team seems to take a sadistic pride in shutting people down. What is Pop feeding them? They looked brainwashed out there, a single minded machine that just eats up their opponents. -----pjrfan
Old 05-17-13, 12:30 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Be careful with these predictions.

The Spurs have not played well in 2 months. We had a cupcake first round series and a moderately tough 2nd round series that shouldn't have been as close as it was.

Meanwhile, the Grizz are on a roll after finishing the season well and beating 2 tough playoff opponents. They are in a nice groove and are more ready for the Spurs than I think we are for them.

I will predict Spurs win of course, in 7 games.

$
Old 05-17-13, 02:51 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Spurs finally played tough D in that track meet against the run-and-gun Warriors. Now they have to play fast-and-loose O against the pounding Grizz.

If the Grizz play Randoph and Gasol at the same time, Spurs need to spread out 4 shooters against the three Grizz wing defenders.

Rebounds will be a key. If the Spurs can limit the Grizz to one shot per possession, this will be over quickly.

The Grizz are tough and everyone has bought into Hollins. But they are not athletic, they can't run, they can't jump and they use a very short bench. It's a team that can be worn down over time if our bench keeps injecting energy.
Old 05-17-13, 02:52 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

C'mon man. I respect the Grizz but they aren't superhuman. They CAN be beat. They haven't really been challenged yet. If the Spurs play to their potential, they can dispatch them in 6 or 7. The Grizz played an injured fools-gold Clipper team and a toothless OKC team. They'll be a challenge but they aren't other-worldly.

Remember when they beat the Spurs last, RJ was an "integral" part of the team, Manu played with a broken arm, Z-Bo was healthy and playin his best ball, Splitter couldn't crack the rotation and we were playin' MAJOR small ball.

Let's be reasonable.
Old 05-17-13, 03:02 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money4Nothing View Post
Be careful with these predictions.

The Spurs have not played well in 2 months. We had a cupcake first round series and a moderately tough 2nd round series that shouldn't have been as close as it was.

Meanwhile, the Grizz are on a roll after finishing the season well and beating 2 tough playoff opponents. They are in a nice groove and are more ready for the Spurs than I think we are for them.

I will predict Spurs win of course, in 7 games.

$
Grizz deserve respect but they beat a very weak OKC team still in shock from losin their All Star pg. The Warriors team that the Spurs beat were just as good as that Clipper or diluted OKC team the Grizz beat.
Old 05-17-13, 04:22 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Spurs also didn't have Kawhi Leonard. The Grizzlies are probably the reason why the Spurs traded George Hill to draft Kawhi after that playoff series two years ago..

SILVER & BLACK...WE GOT IT LIKE THAT!
Old 05-17-13, 04:57 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesuspence281 View Post
I really don't think we can expect any help from the officials. I would be shocked if Memphis Bigs got in foul trouble at all.

Bonner will be ZERO help in this series. Even if he's hitting his 3's... Memphis Bigs will score easily on him.

Even though I don't think Baynes is completely ready, I would have him suit up and play a few minutes in the first half (when Duncan takes his first breather) and just lean into Gasol. Dwight Howard couldn't even move Baynes, and maybe Gasol would get tired trying.
Old 05-17-13, 06:06 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Real View Post
Grizz deserve respect but they beat a very weak OKC team still in shock from losin their All Star pg. The Warriors team that the Spurs beat were just as good as that Clipper or diluted OKC team the Grizz beat.
I agree!!! The Clips and Thunder were hardly "tough" opponents IMO

And considering we started McDyess and RJ the last time we wet the Griz in the playoffs...

Combined with Timmy getting hurt right before the playoffs (sprained ankle); TP getting hurt (calf) towards the end of that year and Manu injuring his arm the last game of the season (playing with a fractured arm in that series)...

I like our chances! Our team will remember how Memphis stole game 1 and how we let the 0-2 led we had last year get away... I think we're gonna be very focused!
Old 05-17-13, 07:18 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

kawhi and green will need to be big, i agree.

but i think down low is gonna be the biggest challenge.
hence, tiago is gonna have to really wear his big boy pants, and at the same time, Not get into foul trouble, so he can play big minutes.
z-bo is gonna get nasty.

tim and tiago held it together with gasol and howard, so thats good.
but with memphis, theres a lot of good team chemistry, so its gonna be tougher..
Old 05-17-13, 07:50 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I think Memphis is a bit overrated, they basically beat a Clipper team headed in the wrong direction before the playoffs started, and OKC without Westbrook. All in all practically the same road traveled as the Spurs. I can't help thinking watching all the Memphis and OKC games, why OKC didn't involve Memphis perimeter players in screen -n- roll to force their slow bigs out of the paint and create space for open looks in the mid-range area. Last year the clips used that philosophy and won the series with worst shooters than the Spurs have right now. If the Spurs take care of the ball and battle tough on the boards, this series is over early......!
Old 05-17-13, 10:05 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

my only fear is timmy burned like other playoffs ..
Old 05-17-13, 10:57 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

After the Spurs played lock down D in the last 3-4 games against GS I don't believe this is a nightmare series or matchups. Pop has a deep bench, fully healthy and is a better coach. I think Timmy should have something to say about the DPOY!
Old 05-18-13, 01:23 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Round 1: Spurs vs Lakers(not so classy): Spurs solved the Lakers bigs albeit Howard is not near as intelligent as the Memphis bigs.

Round 2: Spurs solved the Warriors(classy if you toss out Bogut) wings in a painful 6 game series.

Round 3: Spurs need a combination of the 2 aforementioned but will find these bigs even more of a challenge. The series is likely to be complex in strategy and difficult as Memphis(classy) is no slouch when it comes to intelligent and balanced basketball. The Memphis defense will likely be far more challenging than the first 2 rounds. These could be low scoring games unless Pop finds a way to tax them with pushing the ball.

Last edited by Spurd_On; 05-18-13 at 01:52 AM.
Old 05-18-13, 02:57 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Thank you guys for helping me off the ledge. That's why i love this place.

Totally agree Tiago has to put his big boy pants on and compete like he did in Game 6 of the GS series.

Also, with their lumbering bigs, i think Pop could run & gun the Grizzlies a little bit with our quicker and deeper wing players.

I hate early afternoon games... but excited about Game 1! GO SPURS GO!!!

Old 05-18-13, 06:06 AM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Naturally ALL Spurs TEAM will need to BRING it by spreading the floor and play SMARTER while remaining focused.

Not a cake walk that is for sure but who said it should be an easy task...
Spurs keep their focus and keep POUNDING on that rock and are guaranteed to have the UPPER HANDS.

Spurs will EARN a fifth trip to the Finals and dam right will win this WCF!!

What makes me feel positive is that last year Spurs got GASED and came out of that WCF vs OKC with no more rhythm or MOMENTUM or HUEVO...But leave it to Pop as he did in that GSW semi finals to manage minutes and MASTER his MATCHUP substitutions to KILL Memphis while preserving our Spurs bigs and watching everyone's minutes wisely.

IMHO It is all about MATHCUP and Pop's defensive schemes to make Memphis weak and tired inside and not able to withstand such TOUGH minded Spurs team!!!

I like the MOTIVATION to Avenge vs a Memphis team who beat us in the last few times we meet them in the first round few years back and they did not beat us because they were the better team but it was Manu being injured or Timmy being injured right before the PO started....LOL Sweet Revenge is very very DEEP!!!! I am SOOOOOOOOOO EAGERLY looking for my Spurs to kick this Memphis team Arses this series.

Go SPURS Go!
You all Rock ROCK ROCK! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Old 05-18-13, 01:53 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Memphis is a good solid team however as stated above we are much healthier than the last time we played, also starters from 1-5 are stronger and more experienced. Our bench is stronger than last time. We can play 1/2 court or run & gun, not a one dimensional team. I am more excited this time for our chances than the last 2 years. And we got Tmac!!
Old 05-19-13, 05:45 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I know it's only one game... but still worth a bump.
Old 05-20-13, 08:56 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Don't look now but Bonner came up big in game 1, even contributed on defense!
Old 05-21-13, 01:20 AM
SpursReport Team Member

GS was a worse matchup than is Memphis.

Old 05-28-13, 08:46 AM
SR 2010 Western Conference Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpowr4ever View Post
Next series scares me to death...
Feel better now?
Old 05-28-13, 11:21 AM
SpursReport Rookie

feels so good i just bought flight tickets from Seoul, South Korea to San Antonio on June 10th and bought lower level tickets for Games 3 & 5. Hoping for some good seats when the tickets become available on ticketmaster as well for Game 4. Anyone know when the Spurs Finals tickets will go on sale?

Old 05-29-13, 12:17 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpowr4ever View Post
feels so good i just bought flight tickets from Seoul, South Korea to San Antonio on June 10th and bought lower level tickets for Games 3 & 5. Hoping for some good seats when the tickets become available on ticketmaster as well for Game 4. Anyone know when the Spurs Finals tickets will go on sale?
They can't sell before our opponent shows up. If Indy advances, we will have HCA and if Miami, we won't.
Old 05-29-13, 02:29 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuncaboylu View Post
They can't sell before our opponent shows up. If Indy advances, we will have HCA and if Miami, we won't.
I bought contingency tickets from StubHub off of season ticket holders for Home Game #1 and Home Game #3 - now these can translate to Game 1 and Game 6 or Game 3 and 5 depending on Pacers or Heat.

I'm trying to land courtside tickets for Home Game #2 - which can become Game #2 or Game #4. But now i get why they aren't "officially" on sale yet.

Old 05-29-13, 11:07 PM
Moderator & Chatroom Greeter

We need to replicate this thread for next series,Kpowr
[email protected]