News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-13, 09:06 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Tony Parker says he invented the teardrop shot, is sorely mistaken

Tony Parker says he invented the teardrop shot, is sorely mistaken

Tony Parker tells Stephen Curry about the time he designed the Eiffel Tower (Noah Graham/ Getty).
The typical NBA player is thought of as being very tall, but that's obviously not always the case. The league's point guards are typically men of somewhat average height, enough so that they appear quite diminutive next to the frontcourt players who impede their paths to the basket. The shorter sort must be resourceful, coming up with new ways of scoring over and around bigger foes.
[Also: Luol Deng opens up about physical ailments]
One of the ways they do this is with the teardrop, the high-arcing runner that's reached in a new level of popularity in recent seasons. In a feature on the shot for The New York Times, Scott Cacciola spoke with many of its top practitioners. And while no one is quite sure when the teardrop was first performed, San Antonio Spurs point guard Tony Parker says he invented it:
It is unclear who first shot a teardrop, or who first called it that. Some credit Bob Cousy, a Boston Celtics star of the 1950s. Others point to Hank Luisetti, a Stanford player from the 1930s known for his running one-handed shot.
The San Antonio SpursTony Parker, generally viewed as the league’s current teardrop master, insisted that he came up with the shot as a child. “I got copyrights on that,” he said. “I did that because I was small and it was the only way I could get a shot off on the bigs. I grew a little bit later.”
With all due respect to Parker, this suggestion is patently absurd. There's some question as to whether Cousy and Luisetti's shots can be called teardrops, but longtime NBA point guard and current Golden State Warriors head coach Mark Jackson used the shot throughout the '90s, well before Parker was drafted at the age of 19 in 2001.
UPDATE: Members of the press Matthew Tynan and Dan McCarney, both of whom were present in the locker room when Parker's interview occurred, have claimed on Twitter that these quotes were taken out of context. Both claim that Parker said this in a joking tone of voice, which would be a reasonable context for his comments. I can only hope that the rest of this post, in which I made up a very serious story about a hermit scientist named Pony Tarker, can stand on its own merits as a helpful demonstration of copyright law and the ways in which an unknowing party can tread upon the intellectual property of others.
Nevertheless, it's possible that Parker did develop the shot of his own accord. As a youth in France, he didn't the same level of access to NBA telecasts as an American counterpart. Perhaps he worked out the logic of the shot on a separate track to the rest of basketball history and brought it with him to a dominant culture that had already used it for many years.
[Also: Filomena Tobias, fan who flipped off Joakim Noah, has crazy backstory]

Yet that doesn't mean that Parker can claim a copyright on the move. As long as we're using legal terminology, let's consider a hypothetical in which a hermit — let's call him Pony Tarker — gained an interest in science and concocted the formula for a magical potion he called Pony's Wonder Tonic. After some time, Pony decided to give up his lifestyle in the woods (I know it doesn't make sense to have a scientific laboratory in the woods, but suspend your disbelief for a minute) and bring this amazing tonic to the masses. So Mr. Tarker went to the big city and filed a copyright through his attorney. Except no one gave him the copyright, because it turns out that Pony Tarker had just created the exact same thing as Coca-Cola. Everyone was pretty impressed that Pony had made Coca-Cola of his own volition — because, let's face it, that was pretty incredible of him — but no one was willing to give him the company's profits, because that is not how these things work.
So it goes with the teardrop. We can marvel at Tony Parker's abilities, but the claim that he invented it evinces a lack of interest in the history of the sport. Better to give credit to the innovators of the past, marvel at the constancy of certain physical abilities across eras, and keep appreciating the simple beauty of putting a shot where no opponent can reach it.
The Spurs won because of Tim Duncan, a guy I could never break. I could talk trash to Patrick Ewing, get in David Robinsons face, get a rise out of Alonzo Mourning, but when I went at Tim hed look at me like he was bored and then say, Hey, Shaq, watch this shot right here off the glass. Shaquille O'Neal on Tim duncan.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-13-13, 09:16 AM
The Master Baiter

Ha, I knew just from reading the title that Parker couldn't have been serious. This blogger looks like a fool.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-13-13, 10:07 AM

ugh

they put the "UPDATE" in the middle then go after TP about copyrighting it when they know he's kidding?

they should just take down the article, they look foolish
Old 05-13-13, 10:29 AM
SR 2010 Western Conference Champion

For a moment I thought this was from the Onion
Old 05-13-13, 10:30 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

i post this to show the love parker gets from yahoo sports (this was in front NBA page a few days back) even if is a blog entry, i think yahoo shouldnt post this kind of bashing...
The Spurs won because of Tim Duncan, a guy I could never break. I could talk trash to Patrick Ewing, get in David Robinsons face, get a rise out of Alonzo Mourning, but when I went at Tim hed look at me like he was bored and then say, Hey, Shaq, watch this shot right here off the glass. Shaquille O'Neal on Tim duncan.

Last edited by JuanCaca; 05-13-13 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-13-13, 11:19 AM
Herman Cain of the board

I'm sure Mark Jackson has something to say about that.......lol
Old 05-14-13, 07:46 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm View Post
For a moment I thought this was from the Onion

" 01000110 01110101 01100011 01101011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01001100 01100001 01101011 01100101 01110010 01110011 "