News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 05-11-13, 01:08 AM
SR 2013 Pick the Winner Champ & Rookie of the Year

Anybody else feel that game 3 was...

the first game the spurs have played in these playoffs where they actually had the playoff intensity and energy. To me it seemed like they had it and were aggressive from the start and, for the most part other than a couple 2 minute periods, never let up on the pressure. This is what was lacking from the entire Lakers series and from the majority of the first two games other than the comeback in the fourth quarter of game 1.
I like it. They moved the ball, didn't panic when the game got close and throw up errant threes, and played acceptable defense which consisted of multiple defenders essentially face guarding stephen curry until he was ineffective after turning his ankle. I had posted in another thread that the warriors guards who had been shooting care free and with no pressure in the first two games in SA were going to feel the pressure of an expectant crowd assuming that they were going to come out and run away with the games since they were now back at home. We put a stop to it and we just need to come out with similar energy on Sunday. I think we can go get game 4 because now it can be the spurs who should be feeling a little loose and a little less pressured, as long as it doesnt get to the point of being lackadaisical and emotionless as the first 6 games this postseason had been.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-11-13, 11:13 AM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

Not the first time IMO... I think they played fairly well against the lakers. But it is the first time that they played well for 4 qtrs. The first game against GSW they played well in the last 4 min lol. With the latest Curry injury news, the Spurs better take advantage of it.
Old 05-11-13, 11:27 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Starting Solitter allowed the rest of the guys to fall back to their natural positions !
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-11-13, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esparzar1 View Post
Not the first time IMO... I think they played fairly well against the lakers. But it is the first time that they played well for 4 qtrs. The first game against GSW they played well in the last 4 min lol. With the latest Curry injury news, the Spurs better take advantage of it.

I think they played only good enough to beat the lakers which isnt saying very much. They did play ok but it still wasnt as intense or energetic as I felt in the game last night. But thats what I'm saying is that they had the energy and the urgency and they played like it for about 95% of the game. I'm just hoping they keep it up.
Old 05-11-13, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esparzar1 View Post
What is the latest news on Curry. I haven't heard anything yet?
Old 05-11-13, 11:57 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I was out on the town last night surrounded by Warriors fans. It was a GREAT effort by the Spurs and did (at least to me) feel like the 1st game in this series where they actually put the effort forward. I do agree getting Splitter back has been huge for us, even if his stats arent so great, he has made an impact on our team by allowing us to create better matchups for us. Also playing Diaw more than 8 min was good too. All in all, I'm very happy with the play last night.
Old 05-11-13, 12:03 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Also, I dont think Danny Green is getting enough credit for his defense. Because he was playing such good defense on Curry, it allowed Leonard to lockdown Thompson who was really killing us in SA. Great defense by those 2 guys.
Old 05-11-13, 12:50 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I agree... however

1. Lakers were worse than we realize and Warriors are better than we realized

2. Tony finally showed up last night (his intensity finally went up)

3. Duncan is finally over the flu (big)

4. Putting Leonard on Thompson was a great decision

5. Greens defense was better

6. Splitter and Diaw make a difference, and as a side note, I don't think Diaw is getting enough minutes. I know he's just getting back, but he is a big advantage on the floor
Is our defense that good? I think so. And the scary part is that the whole team seems to take a sadistic pride in shutting people down. What is Pop feeding them? They looked brainwashed out there, a single minded machine that just eats up their opponents. -----pjrfan
Old 05-11-13, 12:54 PM

I agree with the Diaw comment. I think at least twice he backed his many completely under the basket and threw in a 2 ft hook shot when we needed points to stop their runs.
Old 05-11-13, 02:38 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I agree game 3 was the first time the Spurs played with the energy and intensity it takes to win in the later rounds of the playoffs. They had been coasting through the Lakers series as LA put up very little resistance. As I expected, the Warriors intensity carried oven from their Denver series and it took the Spurs a close game and a lose at home to get there blood flowing. With the mileage on the big 3 you can sort of understand the strategy of just doing enough to win as I'm not sure how many games they can handle sustaining the level of intensity and physicality game 3 had last night. It is crucial for guys like Green, Leonard, Diaw, Joseph, Splitter and Neal to lessen the load on the big 3 as much as possible. It was very appeasing to see the Spurs respond with that type of improvement on defense and intensity and make some clutch shots. Something they were unable to do last year after losing game 3 to the Thunder.
Old 05-12-13, 09:26 AM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesuspence281 View Post
What is the latest news on Curry. I haven't heard anything yet?
As of this morning, he's a game time decision.
Old 05-12-13, 10:59 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

Hmm we should not worry if Curry plays or not and just go out with the sam eagressiveness of Game 3
Old 05-12-13, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAD View Post
Hmm we should not worry if Curry plays or not and just go out with the sam eagressiveness of Game 3
"We" as in spurs fans can worry or be excited about it all we want. "We" as in the players and coaches dont care either way.
Old 05-12-13, 05:36 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Apparently Spurs got Big heads from Game 3 since they played game 4 like they expected Warriors had quit. A very sad display by the Spurs today.
Old 05-12-13, 05:42 PM

Exactly. It seemed like they already felt like they had accomplished something by winning in game 3 and lost the sense of urgency and killer instinct to put them away when they had the chance. Very disappointing.
Old 05-12-13, 05:53 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Back to our unserviceable other big men. Splitter, Diaw and Bonner. Less to nothing in points and boards. And if that isn't bad.... Wait til if.... we play Memphis? Hell, I think Blair could have grabbed some boards tonite.