SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   Kawhi needs to guard Curry the whole game...period! (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/119212-kawhi-needs-guard-curry-whole-game-period.html)

esparzar1 05-07-13 12:09 AM

Kawhi needs to guard Curry the whole game...period!
 
Nuff'said

b1gdon 05-07-13 12:32 AM

:applause

tenthousandaces 05-07-13 12:47 AM

It's going to take a team effort.

Wear him out (as much as possible) with all of our guards, throughout the first half.

Then give him measured doses of Leonard to close out the game.

Leonard is good, but it's always a team.

japre8 05-07-13 12:51 AM

I agree with tenthousandaces, stick Leonard on him and shut him down in the 4th, let Green/Parker/Neal/Joseph wear him out for 3 quarters.

mckennaspur1 05-07-13 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenthousandaces (Post 1296213)
It's going to take a team effort.

Wear him out (as much as possible) with all of our guards, throughout the first half.

Then give him measured doses of Leonard to close out the game.

Leonard is good, but it's always a team.

I agree. Having Kawhi on Curry for 48 minutes wastes too much energy and prevents Curry from having to make adjustments throughout the game as the Spurs throw different looks at him.

And somebody (I'm thinking DaJuan) needs to lay Mr Curry out once or twice when that young man starts thinking he owns the paint.

esparzar1 05-07-13 01:20 AM

Well the spurs tried to "wear him down" the first 3 quarters and tell me again how that turned out??? Just sayin :wink

Jose_TheGenius 05-07-13 07:32 AM

i agree.

also, once Green stopped guarding Curry, he played a lot looser. Leonard is our best defender, it's time Pop treats him like Bowen and puts him on the opposing team's best player.

esparzar1 05-07-13 07:50 AM

Don't get me wrong, I don't wanna say it was all Kawhi by any means. I was an all around team effort however, Kawhi can wear him down, make him work, and bother him with his length.

It doesn't help the matter when you're shooting lights out like he was last night....the dude couldn't miss. Anyways, it needs to happen from the start of the game IMO.

Uwe Blab 05-07-13 08:59 AM

I don't think Curry will shoot like that an entire series, but even so, the Warriors set excellent picks for him, and he let's the ball fly from his hands almost at the beginning of his jump, which means it's almost impossible for a defender to get to him in time after the pick. So he'll get his points, but in my opinion, you sick KY on him just like last night, at the end of a game to stomp on a fatigued Curry.

esparzar1 05-07-13 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uwe Blab (Post 1296241)
I don't think Curry will shoot like that an entire series, but even so, the Warriors set excellent picks for him, and he let's the ball fly from his hands almost at the beginning of his jump, which means it's almost impossible for a defender to get to him in time after the pick. So he'll get his points, but in my opinion, you sick KY on him just like last night, at the end of a game to stomp on a fatigued Curry.

Exactly, the Warriors set excellent pics but what better way to negate that than using Kawhi's length. The dude has a 7'3 wingspan :yikes:yikes:yikes...Curry's quick release is almost impossible to guard but Kawhi is all we got and he's not too bad of a defender :wink

KAD 05-07-13 09:26 AM

We get Tiago back and Bogut is neutralized

Spursfan808 05-07-13 10:25 AM

the spurs can't let curry relax on the defensive end. whoever curry is guarding needs to get the ball and make him work.

spursfan9 05-07-13 01:23 PM

cant tire out kawhi the whole ggame.

he did great. but it was defn a team effort.

the rotations were jst to slow, and currys passing to good msot of the game.,
i think mixing up the defense is best, dont let him settle or figure out any one defense. that way u can still hit him hard w/ kawhi at the end of games and it wont be super familiar to him

Rzarector7 05-07-13 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uwe Blab (Post 1296241)
I don't think Curry will shoot like that an entire series,

FOR GODS sakes you would hope not :yikes:laugh

katyspursfan 05-07-13 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esparzar1 (Post 1296224)
Well the spurs tried to "wear him down" the first 3 quarters and tell me again how that turned out??? Just sayin :wink

Well, since he didn't sit the entire game except for a handful of seconds, maybe he was worn out in the fourth/overtimes. He sure saw the front of the iron more than the middle of the bucket later on.
But, my gawd, what a third quarter.

katyspursfan 05-07-13 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uwe Blab (Post 1296241)
I don't think Curry will shoot like that an entire series

I would bet that he does at least once more, though. And I'd take the over on 1.5.

I wonder if Pop tries the strategy from the PHX series years ago. Let the star get his points (STAT/Curry), but shut everyone else down. About 8 minutes left in the 4th, that was my best hope for a series victory.

WhiteChocolateJr 05-07-13 04:03 PM

Problem with KY on Curry the whole game: Tony is left to guard a bigger SG. Plus, KY on Curry means we are effectively daring Curry to become a passer...something we don't really want to do when the man just dropped 11 dimes on us.

I say we rock some Stoudemire treatment. Give Curry 40 shots in game 2, and completely take away the passing angles. Play him straight up, but make HIM beat us, and starve the rest of the Warriors out.

Jose_TheGenius 05-07-13 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteChocolateJr (Post 1296280)
Problem with KY on Curry the whole game: Tony is left to guard a bigger SG. Plus, KY on Curry means we are effectively daring Curry to become a passer...something we don't really want to do when the man just dropped 11 dimes on us.

I say we rock some Stoudemire treatment. Give Curry 40 shots in game 2, and completely take away the passing angles. Play him straight up, but make HIM beat us, and starve the rest of the Warriors out.

Pop put TP on Klay Thompson basically the whole game and he took advantage. any cross matchups will have Tony at a disadvantage. personally, i do think a cross matchup would be better if they're going that route. Kawhi on Curry then Green on Thompson, put TP on Barnes. Harrison Barnes isn't a consistent 3-point shooter (so far for the whole reason) and prefers a mid range/2 point shot game. the mismatch Parker would have the Spurs could counter on their own over trying to make up 3-point shots.

either way, Parker is going to need help. the Stoudemire treatment was that very mindset. it wasn't the shots that killed the Suns that series, it was that they relied so much on the 3-point shot and the Spurs forced them to beat them by 2's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by katyspursfan (Post 1296274)
Well, since he didn't sit the entire game except for a handful of seconds, maybe he was worn out in the fourth/overtimes. He sure saw the front of the iron more than the middle of the bucket later on. if Parker is on Curry, he's still going to have to go over the screen and contest, which is probably a better scenario with Kawhi's feet/height/wingspan than Parker's.
But, my gawd, what a third quarter.

Curry was 2 minutes away from playing a whole hour out there. the telling part for the Warriors is that Jackson went with what basically was a 7 man rotation in a game that went to double overtime.

katyspursfan 05-07-13 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius (Post 1296285)
Curry was 2 minutes away from playing a whole hour out there. the telling part for the Warriors is that Jackson went with what basically was a 7 man rotation in a game that went to double overtime.

And what could go wrong with using a 7 man rotation in a playoff series where teams play every other day?
Maybe Jackson could give Mr. Pringle a call. You know, when D'Antoni isn't scapegoating his staff...

Money4Nothing 05-07-13 06:01 PM

I don't think Leonard should guard Curry for the whole game. Curry will figure out how to beat him and wear him down. Keep rotating players on Curry, with the right defender at the right time and situation. Team defense combined with the right style of individual defense will be the best way to contain him.

Also, need to try to make him work on defense. Whoever he is guarding needs to be running curls off screens as much as possible.

$

ginopark 05-08-13 07:22 AM

KY/Curry = Bowen/Kobe = SPURS WIN

old timer 05-08-13 08:19 AM

Expanding the Stoutemire theory was also making Nash a shooter and not allowing him to facilitate. The history is there and I think that may be part of Pop's other answer during the post-game interview when asked about stopping Curry, "we did not stop Curry!" I do not think they expected him to go off like he did, but I do think they would rather he was the only one. Notice the come back was pretty much simultaneous to Thompson fouling out. Also note Jarrett Jack never became some super hero when slipped in for Thompson. (see his earlier Spurs killing episodes with 30 pts, etc)

Jose_TheGenius 05-08-13 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Money4Nothing (Post 1296293)
I don't think Leonard should guard Curry for the whole game. Curry will figure out how to beat him and wear him down. Keep rotating players on Curry, with the right defender at the right time and situation. Team defense combined with the right style of individual defense will be the best way to contain him.

Also, need to try to make him work on defense. Whoever he is guarding needs to be running curls off screens as much as possible.

$

he'll definitely wear Kawhi out, but Leonard will also wear Curry out. you hold Curry down for the majority of the game, Spurs win. if Kawhi doesn't contribute much on offense because he's spent, you still have Parker, Duncan, Ginobili, Neal, Green, Diaw, etc.

JuanCaca 05-09-13 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old timer (Post 1296336)
Expanding the Stoutemire theory was also making Nash a shooter and not allowing him to facilitate. The history is there and I think that may be part of Pop's other answer during the post-game interview when asked about stopping Curry, "we did not stop Curry!" I do not think they expected him to go off like he did, but I do think they would rather he was the only one. Notice the come back was pretty much simultaneous to Thompson fouling out. Also note Jarrett Jack never became some super hero when slipped in for Thompson. (see his earlier Spurs killing episodes with 30 pts, etc)


i figured warriors where for real because the way they dispatched denver, but

unable to watch none of the games vs our spurs... so, is thompson the real Batman of GS, and curry his Robinfacepalm...??? by the stats thompson won game 2


another Q: they are that good, or our defense is THAT bad...?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.7.4


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0