News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-13, 07:31 AM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

Who do you want the Spurs to play in the 2nd round?

Denver? Golden State? discuss
Old 04-29-13, 07:44 AM

Golden State. picked them before the playoffs to win this. their matchup vs. Denver is definitely in their favor, especially w/ Lee being injured. now they're quicker with great shooters out there.

we're really odds on favorites vs. them because Duncan can slow the game down and dominate the inside. only thing that worries me is Danny Green guarding Stephen Curry.
Old 04-29-13, 07:50 AM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
Golden State. picked them before the playoffs to win this. their matchup vs. Denver is definitely in their favor, especially w/ Lee being injured. now they're quicker with great shooters out there.

we're really odds on favorites vs. them because Duncan can slow the game down and dominate the inside. only thing that worries me is Danny Green guarding Stephen Curry.
Curry is turning into a stud, a legitimate superstar. He'll get his and I'm fine with that, as long as we can slow everyone else down. I think Kawhi will do fine guarding Thompson. Bogut has always given TD a hard time. The Spurs will shine with their bench and the play off our other big 3 "DG, Kawhi, Tiago"....who's gonna stop them? Anyways, I see GSW winning the series with Denver, I'm just hoping it goes 7 games to really give the Spurs some much needed rest.
Old 04-29-13, 08:44 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

I'd like Golden State but not for teh above reasons as I think the Spurs will beat either team although Mile High is hard to play for close to Sea Level dwellers.

I think a Bay Area NBA team in the playoffs again is good for the Spurs and the league on many fronts but particularly as this area is a hot bed of sports and I see many fans cominmg out of the woodwork for the Spurs!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-29-13, 08:52 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Denver because that would mean their series goes 7 games but that's not likely to happen.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-29-13, 08:56 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

denver gonna be closed in 6... and im ok with GS... but not that confident... they are growing every game...
Old 04-29-13, 08:59 AM
The Eternal Optimist

No preference as long as they only have to play five at time, not eight!
Old 04-29-13, 09:04 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer View Post
No preference as long as they only have to play five at time, not eight!
:applause:applause so true...

and i hope pop didnt shorten the rotation... to me this past years, extra minutes burned manu and timmy down the stretch...
Old 04-29-13, 09:28 AM
The Eternal Optimist

Agreed. Stay with what got you here. There is enough corporate knowledge and experience all up and down the bench. GA provides a challenge with perimeter athleticism, where as Denver has some super athletic bugs. Possibly GA is a better matchup.
Old 04-29-13, 10:11 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:

I agree that SA has an advantage in the middle with Duncan since Lee is out, despite the fact that Bogut has been a tough matchup for him all the way back to his days in Milwaukee.

I also don't believe you can run with GS because that gives them open looks in transition and Curry and Thompson aren't going to go cold all of a sudden. They are not streak shooters ala Neal and Green. These guys are pure shooters.

Expound a little bit on the slow it down principle w/o simply coming down and dumping the ball into Tim. That stagnates the offense and takes us back to 2003-2007. Ball movement has been the key to their success. It will be a fine line that Tony will have to walk with respect to controlling tempo.
Old 04-29-13, 11:46 AM
SpursReport Team Member

G-State. Denver is more versatile and more options (G-State has guards, that's it, while Denver has bigs in McGee/Chandler/Faried and wing Iggy not to mention Lawson can match TP's speed)

S
Old 04-29-13, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polk View Post
I agree that SA has an advantage in the middle with Duncan since Lee is out, despite the fact that Bogut has been a tough matchup for him all the way back to his days in Milwaukee.

I also don't believe you can run with GS because that gives them open looks in transition and Curry and Thompson aren't going to go cold all of a sudden. They are not streak shooters ala Neal and Green. These guys are pure shooters.

Expound a little bit on the slow it down principle w/o simply coming down and dumping the ball into Tim. That stagnates the offense and takes us back to 2003-2007. Ball movement has been the key to their success. It will be a fine line that Tony will have to walk with respect to controlling tempo.
i think you can run with GS if you're the Spurs. the problem Denver has is they're trying to run with Ty Lawson and then bring in Andre Miller, who's a heck of a passer but not someone who can run at all. the problem the Spurs pose for Golden State is depth most of all. if the Spurs choose to run, Curry will have to handle Parker and then a Neal/Ginobili combo without much rest.

Bogut's success this series so far is that the game is running fast and Denver isn't healthy enough (Faried) or smart enough (McGee) to counter it in the paint. at least with Duncan we can slow down the game which may throw Golden State off. the Warriors would be the blessing since we wouldn't be at a disadvantage without having Splitter. Baynes could play a similar role vs. Bogut, same with Blair.

the only guy i think that may be at a disadvantage is Bonner because the Warriors would be better than him in every way, especially since he doesn't punish them with post ups.
Old 04-29-13, 12:09 PM
The Master Baiter

Golden State would be the most favorable matchup. As always, they are going to have to slow them down to a half court game and defend the perimeter. With Curry, Thompson and Jack, they are going to shoot at least 45% from the field. This is a series that Splitter could be huge, I hope he gets back in time.
Old 04-29-13, 12:11 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
i think you can run with GS if you're the Spurs. the problem Denver has is they're trying to run with Ty Lawson and then bring in Andre Miller, who's a heck of a passer but not someone who can run at all. the problem the Spurs pose for Golden State is depth most of all. if the Spurs choose to run, Curry will have to handle Parker and then a Neal/Ginobili combo without much rest.

Bogut's success this series so far is that the game is running fast and Denver isn't healthy enough (Faried) or smart enough (McGee) to counter it in the paint. at least with Duncan we can slow down the game which may throw Golden State off. the Warriors would be the blessing since we wouldn't be at a disadvantage without having Splitter. Baynes could play a similar role vs. Bogut, same with Blair.

the only guy i think that may be at a disadvantage is Bonner because the Warriors would be better than him in every way, especially since he doesn't punish them with post ups.
We'll probably see Diaw take over Bonner's minutes eventually, I would think. Depending on how well Diaw can move I guess.
Old 04-29-13, 09:29 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Curry is hurting, maybe we could put 3 defenders on him like we did Howard.
Old 04-29-13, 11:18 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Actually I think Bonner is a good matchup for the Spurs to use versus GS. Denver not so much.
Old 04-30-13, 02:32 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

G-State. Series can be another sweep IMHO.
Old 04-30-13, 09:42 PM
The Master Baiter

Looks like they may have a chance to play Denver. The Denver matchup worries me. Hopefully they wear each other out, GS and Den that is.
Old 04-30-13, 11:02 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Denver wins guaranteeing 3 1/2 more days healing for the Spurs.

Last edited by Spurd_On; 04-30-13 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-30-13, 11:25 PM
SpursReport Team Member

The spurs had more of an advantage inside with lee healthy, he is an atrocious defender. Bogut can guard TD ok. I think I'd rather play Denver just because their best player is nowhere near as good as curry,
Old 04-30-13, 11:26 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
Denver wins guaranteeing 3 1/2 more days healing for the Spurs.
The series starts Monday no matter what
Old 05-01-13, 09:10 AM
SpursReport Team Member

GS....

I think we have the perimeter defense and shot blocking to slow them down..

I do think Mark Jackson is a great coach and gives them an edge, but he's still a little green.

Deep down either team probably doesnt have high expectation beyond the first round and will be content with getting to the second. Neither team is as disciplined as the spurs and that will hurt when the stakes get higher.

Parker will make Curry work on defense.

Tiago will be needed to throw toward Bogut every now and then.
Is our defense that good? I think so. And the scary part is that the whole team seems to take a sadistic pride in shutting people down. What is Pop feeding them? They looked brainwashed out there, a single minded machine that just eats up their opponents. -----pjrfan
Old 05-01-13, 11:06 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Advantage Spurs vs GS.

But I live in Colorado Springs and would LOVE to see MY SPURS during these playoffs!

VS Nuggs, is too Unpredictable, thou, I don't like the match up at all.

A Nuggs fan kept hecklin me about my Spurs losing coming out of the Pepsi Center I couldn't help myself I told him
"Its ok, I'll take a reg. season gm loss, 4 championships vs 1st round exits, warm up scrimmage team, Any day!" The guy said "Oh! Ya got me, that's low!" LOL!

Go Spurs Go!!!
Old 05-01-13, 11:40 AM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

I'd like to see them play GS and see if the Spurs can make Jackson and Curry cry. If the Nuggets can do it, the Spurs D should have them assuming the fetal position by the middle of the 2nd game, because you know the Spurs will be living inside Curry's jersey and he's not going to get anything free in the lane.
Old 05-01-13, 03:37 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Will Mark Jackson's wife sing the national anthem? DEN +1.

I still prefer GSW ahead of DEN. Faried can just go off on the boards. And that altitude.
Only one guy to stop on GSW.
Old 05-01-13, 05:09 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

It's more like pick your poison. Neither have team has a post game other than maybe Bogut. GS has knockdown shooters to get them back into games if they're on. DEN doesn't have great shooters but they have ample rim protection and a long defender in Brewer that well probably give Parker more trouble than GS guards. But without David Lee or Danilo, I'd have to say GS. Oh yeah, Denver has AI too.
Old 05-01-13, 05:22 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

...I'll admit it here: I am scared of Steph Curry. He has that "I'm not losing this game" look in his eyes. That determination can swing a game...and possibly a series.

...just sayin.
Old 05-02-13, 12:20 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Definitely GS, they tend to live and die by how "on" their perimeter guys are any given night. Denver can fall back on their shot-blocking bigs and their defense if things are going their way offensively. The Denver bigs have shown in the past that they can alter SA's game in the paint which could cause a lot of offensive headaches when Tony/Manu/Gary/etc aren't getting those chip shots and floaters to go.
Old 05-02-13, 07:10 PM
SpursReport Team Member

GSW.This is pretty open and shut.

We could actually lose to Denver when they are clicking.