SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   The Anti-Willis Reed (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/119176-anti-willis-reed.html)

mckennaspur1 04-28-13 08:33 PM

The Anti-Willis Reed
 
Dwight Howard flat-out quit. He wasn't injured. He just wanted out. No wonder Timmy was laughin' at him during Game 3.

Spurd_On 04-28-13 10:00 PM

I don't know that he quit necessarily. I think Pop just through more at him than his brain was able to process. Too bad. The guy is a tremendous athlete but with nothing upstairs.

Uwe Blab 04-28-13 10:06 PM

I want to know what he told Kupchak as he went through the tunnel. Interesting off season for the Lakers.

Rzarector7 04-28-13 11:20 PM

He quit, he just quit out there.... He flat out quit.


BTW he sure did wear down out BIGS as the series went on! All 4 games!!!

Rzarector7 04-28-13 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uwe Blab (Post 1295773)
I want to know what he told Kupchak as he went through the tunnel. Interesting off season for the Lakers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uwe Blab (Post 1295773)
I want to know what he told Kupchak as he went through the tunnel. Interesting off season for the Lakers.

I would say goodbye to him, GOD BLESS AND GOODNIGHT!

Spurd_On 04-29-13 07:54 AM

Shaq and Charles may have pegged it correctly. Howard has no post moves and relies on his elbows and strength. Until he gets some, he will always be vulnerable to coaches like Pop.

Racspur 04-29-13 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spurd_On (Post 1295794)
Shaq and Charles may have pegged it correctly. Howard has no post moves and relies on his elbows and strength. Until he gets some, he will always be vulnerable to coaches like Pop.

It's ironic that Shaq of all players would say that :yikes The Big Steamroller only had one move ... Post up under the basket and " Muscle " players out of the way !!! Hell the league let him get away with it his whole career !!! :bs

Jose_TheGenius 04-29-13 12:00 PM

Howard used great post moves in Orlando when he was mentored by Dream. problem is that the offense that D'Antoni gave the team when Kobe was healthy wasn't relying on that. it was basically a faster form of the Princeton in which Kobe was the decision maker to throw up a shot or pass ASAP (unlike Brown's that relied on movement and passing from everyone).

Then Kobe gets hurt and they have to do a complete turnaround on the offensive plan with basically the bigs creating for themselves. there were no plays called if you look at it and D'Antoni when Howard/Gasol were forced to create on their own. MDA did give help to the guards because that's the only offense he knows. blame Dwight on quitting, but his effectiveness isn't entirely his fault. how do you basically go from a 7 seconds or less (maybe 12 seconds or less w/ this Laker team) and then go to pure post ups which is something the coach doesn't know anything about?

Uwe Blab 04-29-13 12:33 PM

Howard apparently thinks he's beyond learning and adding to his game. He does have a post game, we saw flashes of it during the series. But he still, after all these years, hasn't learned to use them with a little more finesse instead of trying to clobber anyone in his path. Shaq, for all his girth, was tough to ref. But he still didn't throw elbows and shoulders every time he was under the basket. He used his size, but he didn't make it so obvious. That's why he got calls and that's why he dominated. Howard should be dominating. He's bigger than everyone else. Instead, he's more like a Yao Ming out there.

clovisnmspurfan 04-29-13 07:45 PM

The dude is history ( to the Spurs) let's move on to round #2.

doom32x4 04-29-13 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racspur (Post 1295795)
It's ironic that Shaq of all players would say that :yikes The Big Steamroller only had one move ... Post up under the basket and " Muscle " players out of the way !!! Hell the league let him get away with it his whole career !!! :bs

Well, he paid for it by probably absorbing more punishment than any player in the last 20 years or so. Anyways, Shaq had great footwork down low, and compared to Howard...Shaq's touch around the rim was amazing.

Rzarector7 04-30-13 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uwe Blab (Post 1295814)
Howard apparently thinks he's beyond learning and adding to his game. He does have a post game, we saw flashes of it during the series. But he still, after all these years, hasn't learned to use them with a little more finesse instead of trying to clobber anyone in his path. Shaq, for all his girth, was tough to ref. But he still didn't throw elbows and shoulders every time he was under the basket. He used his size, but he didn't make it so obvious. That's why he got calls and that's why he dominated. Howard should be dominating. He's bigger than everyone else. Instead, he's more like a Yao Ming out there.

LOL Uwe love ya but man Shaq used to use that elbow to clear out all the time and complain against us etc. when he got called for that! He used to clear out! He used to get a whistle I remember and say naw man not me! He would throw that bow and clear out to dunk it, then called for it. I agree on that rest though.

InegoMontoya 04-30-13 06:35 AM

I had a feeling that it was coming... this whole series he has looked like he wanted no part of the Spurs. He straight up quit like a punk if you ask me.

dark21horse 04-30-13 06:59 AM

The thing that gets to me is that some team out there is going to pay Dwight Howard max money. For what???????? A guy you can't even go to in the stretch to win a game for you? He can't shoot foul shots which means you can't keep him in the game in the final 2 minutes or so. He can't get his own shot like a Carmelo or a Lebron, so why pay him all that money??????

Uwe Blab 04-30-13 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rzarector7 (Post 1295860)
LOL Uwe love ya but man Shaq used to use that elbow to clear out all the time and complain against us etc. when he got called for that! He used to clear out! He used to get a whistle I remember and say naw man not me! He would throw that bow and clear out to dunk it, then called for it. I agree on that rest though.

Oh he threw them, but not constantly like Howard. I still think Nash and Howard could do some damage, they just never got the court time together.

WhiteChocolateJr 04-30-13 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uwe Blab (Post 1295868)
Oh he threw them, but not constantly like Howard. I still think Nash and Howard could do some damage, they just never got the court time together.

Sorry, Uwe...you're off-base here. Shaq was virtually all-bows, all the time. He relied on the hook, clear out, and dunk his ENTIRE career. The refs actually seemed to tweak the way the post is called AFTER Shaq in order to prevent a repeat of a player using "muscle 'em outta the way" as their one go-to move.

Which is why D12 is moaning now.

Dwight just gave up--which begs the question whether the Lakers actually want him back.

Eddy from Austin 04-30-13 02:52 PM

It seems like he wants to stay in LA and the Lakers want to keep him instead of letting him walk and loose what they had to give to get him. They're going to build the team around him. It's the wrong thing to do, but I'm glad they're doing it.

mckennaspur1 04-30-13 03:32 PM

Can't wait til the Lakers commit $60-70 per year to Dwightmare, limpin' Kobe and over-priced Pau. They're on the hook for two more years of Steve Nash , and they still have to pay Metta World War for another year.

If the Spurs are going to lose FA Tiago, I'm wondering if they could pry loose Jordan Hill for Neal and either one of our back-PGs or a draft pick.

KAD 04-30-13 07:20 PM

Howard clealry has not been mentored well - professionally as a player or a human being. He could use a Pop type coach, but so could most players in the league.

katyspursfan 05-01-13 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dark21horse (Post 1295863)
The thing that gets to me is that some team out there is going to pay Dwight Howard max money. For what???????? A guy you can't even go to in the stretch to win a game for you? He can't shoot foul shots which means you can't keep him in the game in the final 2 minutes or so. He can't get his own shot like a Carmelo or a Lebron, so why pay him all that money??????

Any team that signs him is immediately relevant.
HOU wants him in the middle and Harden on the perimeter. That might not spell championship, but you sure get to buy some vowels.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckennaspur1 (Post 1295902)
Can't wait til the Lakers commit $60-70 per year to Dwightmare, limpin' Kobe and over-priced Pau. They're on the hook for two more years of Steve Nash , and they still have to pay Metta World War for another year.

Lakers will most likely amnesty one of those players not named Nash. Artest is the most likely option, but Gasol saves a lot more money. Kobe is probably untouchable.

WhiteChocolateJr 05-01-13 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katyspursfan (Post 1295951)
Any team that signs him is immediately relevant.
HOU wants him in the middle and Harden on the perimeter. That might not spell championship, but you sure get to buy some vowels.



Lakers will most likely amnesty one of those players not named Nash. Artest is the most likely option, but Gasol saves a lot more money. Kobe is probably untouchable.

Bingo to point one. Dwight is a fantastic post deterrence--hell, look at how he alters Parker's penetration game when he's 1) in the game, and 2) not in foul trouble. Dwight as alpha-scorer for a team is where the conflict arises. As broad as his shoulders are, he's just not wired to carry a team on his back when they NEED, NEED, NEED a bucket.

...and Artest/MWP/The Artist formerly known as Dirk McGurk: Here's to you as AMNESTY CANDIDATE OF THE YEAR 2013.

katyspursfan 05-01-13 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteChocolateJr (Post 1295956)
...and Artest/MWP/The Artist formerly known as Dirk McGurk: Here's to you as AMNESTY CANDIDATE OF THE YEAR 2013.

But, if LAL were to make the decision based on finances...
Kobe, coming off Achilles surgery saves just under the national debt. And, he could be signed by LAL July 1 (or 8), 2014. Roughly one year AFTER the Achilles surgery to a 32+ year old.
Jerry Buss is dead. His son is making the financial decisions now.

All that said, I still expect Artest to be available as an amnesty casualty.
If full pay PLUS another contract can be considered a casualty.

WhiteChocolateJr 05-01-13 04:12 PM

^^^ From a pure financial standpoint: Absolutely. LAL amnesties Kobe, no hesitation, no second thoughts about it.

Mamba is slated to make $30,453,000 next year. YIKES. Plus, the new CBA penalties (w/o repeater rates) kick in for next year. Double YIKES!

...now, we all quietly think of all the reasons why the Lakers can't save themselves tens of millions in penalties by just letting a 33 yo with 60k+ career minutes played and multiple knee surgeries just go quietly into the night.

Those reasons are precisely why the Laker FO won't do it. Even the with the (short)Buss now calling the shots, the fan backlash and Kobe-tantrum that would result from amnesty would be untenable. MWP books just enough savings and frees up a roster slot eaten by one of their many has-been, ghost-of-themselves players that this gets done.

We can dream, though.

katyspursfan 05-01-13 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteChocolateJr (Post 1295960)

We can dream, though.

Well, that dream might result in a James, Wade, Bosh and Bryant MIA team next playoffs as Bryant picks his playoff team of 2014 before he re-signs with LAL. Minimum money, signs a TinMac deal just before the playoffs start. Except he doesn't get to wear a suit.

WhiteChocolateJr 05-01-13 04:51 PM

Way to Freddy Krueger my daydream, KSF.

katyspursfan 05-01-13 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteChocolateJr (Post 1295967)
Way to Freddy Krueger my daydream, KSF.

Hehe. I've been called a lot of things here, but that's probably the first time Freddy Krueger came into play.

Just doin' what I do!

:)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.7.4


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0