News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 04-27-13, 10:02 PM
SR 2013 Pick the Winner Champ & Rookie of the Year

Is Gary Neal becoming RMJ 2.0

Maybe this is just my own personal observation but it seems like I am seeing a replay of Roger mason Jr's stint with the spurs every game that I am seeing Neal play now. Both of these guys earned their time by hitting clutch 3's at a decent mark in the early years of their time with the team and both were then forced to become backup ball handlers when we all knew they didnt have the skill set or bball smarts to be effective. It seems that now that Neal's shot has started not to fall like it did at his peak, his confidence is gone and is now hurting the team in a similar manner to how I can remember RMJ's final games with the spurs ending.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-28-13, 12:21 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I'd take Neal over mason jr any day. He's got all the shots , three point , in between game , floaters. I'm not seeing what u are. Maybe others will agree with you. Pop tried using mason as a point but he was horrid. I think Neal has better handles too.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-28-13, 12:23 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

No
Old 04-28-13, 12:44 AM

Maybe im just a neal hater
Old 04-28-13, 12:53 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesuspence281 View Post
Maybe im just a neal hater
Save yourself some time and hate on a real bum like Green.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 04-28-13, 07:57 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Neal is a shoot first ball hog. He has had good moments, but most of the time Neal is where ball rotation goes do die.
Old 04-28-13, 08:05 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

dont blame him... thats his job

much like simon, pop says:
if ur open, shoot it, or ur going to the bench.
and if ur not exactly open, but you feel it, let it rip.

neal does as told, thats why he gets his minutes
Old 04-28-13, 08:52 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzarector7 View Post
Save yourself some time and hate on a real bum like Green.
Here, here!
Old 04-28-13, 10:03 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Neal struggled all season with injuries.

Neal may come alive in one game in the Western Conference Finals and make his whole career in San Antonio worthwhile.

Remember Steve Kerr against Dallas? All of his pay for his entire time with the Spurs was earned in that one game.
Old 04-28-13, 02:59 PM
The Master Baiter

He's there for instant offense, like Vinnie Johnson of the Pistons as Sean Elliot always refers to. But I can see the comparisons. Mason got all the fans on his bandwagon because he hit a few a game winners during the regular season, but didn't do squat in the playoffs. Same with Neal. They are both horrible defenders. Both were put out of position at some point in their stay with the Spurs. Well, at least Neal has one clutch shot in the playoffs, compared to none for Mason.
Old 04-28-13, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
He's there for instant offense, like Vinnie Johnson of the Pistons as Sean Elliot always refers to. But I can see the comparisons. Mason got all the fans on his bandwagon because he hit a few a game winners during the regular season, but didn't do squat in the playoffs. Same with Neal. They are both horrible defenders. Both were put out of position at some point in their stay with the Spurs. Well, at least Neal has one clutch shot in the playoffs, compared to none for Mason.
True that. And I hope neal is able to get his shot going and make some clutch shots when we need him because it seems like pop is going to play him no matter what so hopefully he can start contributing something meaningful again.
Old 04-28-13, 04:35 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Neal is on the floor to shoot. If they don't drop Pop will act accordingly. Go Spurs Go.
Old 04-28-13, 06:00 PM

I understand Neal has to shoot but for the regular season the only people that we have left that shot the 3 worse than neal was joseph and manu. and for the playoffs so far he is shooting it at 16%. Maybe its more on pop then for continuing to play him so much. At least danny is hitting 33% so far these playoffs.

Last edited by thesuspence281; 04-28-13 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-28-13, 07:11 PM
Moderator & Chatroom Greeter

He isnot beoming...he already was
[email protected]
Old 05-01-13, 07:30 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Neal's purpose is to shoot, I agree, but I'd prefer if it was when the ball was spun around to him ala Kerr or Barry or JJ. His problem is that he's trying to shoot off the dribble and he's just not good at that. He's off balance and not in rhythm and usually better defended. Right now Neal averages more shot attempts per minute than every other player except the big three. That's too many shots that should be taken by Leonard or Splitter or Green instead.