News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-13, 12:35 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

This should be re-named Bonner's best playoff Series ever.
Old 04-27-13, 01:03 PM
Spurs Fan in NJ since 1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by timm View Post
Someone, please find me a single playoff game where bonnie has hit a big three when the Spurs where down by 8, 10 whatever and really needed to fight back into a game.

He's playing well when the Spurs are up and there's no pressure. Sorry. Show me something when it counts.
I do not believe that it is reasonable to expect that from someone who plays his role on a team that has a BIG 3! Tim, Tony or Manu need to be the ones to provide those. There are many many times our BIG 3 has come up small in those same situations. I have been following the Spurs since DROB arrived from the Naval Academy and the number of times he came up small with the game on the line is more than I care to think back to. It wasn't until the TWIN TOWERS were formed with the arrival to Timmy that anyone in a Spurs Jersey had any real playoff clutch performances!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-27-13, 03:06 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
It's not a given that Bonner's gone. They are going to need bodies, and bodies with experience in the system. Freeing up space is fine, but they are not going to land the big time free agent that takes all that space. They will probably sign some minor veterans. And up until last year, Bonner played significant minutes in the regular season and the playoffs. Now why would professional coaches and staff with much more knowledge of the game do that? Oh yeah, because he's not as bad as idiotic fans think he is.
Why does it have to be only one big time free agent player all the time? I'm sure Splitter and Neal want raises. Manu is a FA. Maybe there is a trade where they take a big contract but get a high draft pick for accepting the contract. Who knows. I don't see him staying at that price next season. That's not a far fetched idea. I'm not alone in that thought process.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-27-13, 04:11 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

In terms of contracts, we are getting exactly what we are paying for with Bonner. There are only 2 good reasons I can think of to dump Bonner;

1. We need salary space to sign a big free agent like Josh Smith or something (Not Likely)
2. We need his roster spot for some emerging talent

Otherwise, his contract is commensurate with his performance in my opinion.

And the exact same thing can be said about Danny Green (but we all have high hopes).
Old 05-09-13, 12:18 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

In case anyone was wondering.... BONNER STILL SUCKS. Add Neal to the list too.
Old 05-09-13, 12:26 AM
The Master Baiter

Well, I knew this was coming. Forget that Parker is obviously hurting, KY and Danny Green couldn't hit the broadside of a barn and Manu is just simply pathetic on defense and on most shots he takes during a game. It's all Bonner's fault.
Old 05-09-13, 03:58 AM
Herman Cain of the board

DEATH..............TAXES...........BONNER SUCKS! LOL
Old 05-09-13, 04:17 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
Well, I knew this was coming. Forget that Parker is obviously hurting, KY and Danny Green couldn't hit the broadside of a barn and Manu is just simply pathetic on defense and on most shots he takes during a game. It's all Bonner's fault.
Yeah true, but PLAYOFF BONNER HAS ARRIVED!!!!!! :shocked:drummer
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 05-09-13, 05:39 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Hey Uwe, no one else had a special thread about them after ONE good game... And atleast green hit multiple three's.... Bonner gave up as many as green missed! You know what I knew was coming??? These type of games for the boner!
Old 05-09-13, 08:16 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Again and again the same dribble singling out Bonner when we lose.... not one of those arguing for the negative has given us a viable alternative for $3.9 mill a year.

Give us something to actually respond to, rather than another complaint show your expertise extends past throwing him under the bus to a solution.
Old 05-09-13, 11:47 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kager View Post
Again and again the same dribble singling out Bonner when we lose.... not one of those arguing for the negative has given us a viable alternative for $3.9 mill a year.

Give us something to actually respond to, rather than another complaint show your expiration extends past throwing him under the bus to a solution.
Will quit complaining about bonner when people quit sniffing his jock after one good game LOL.... You want me to name someone else for that price... Ok ANYONE. because last night anyone could have done what bonner did or in any playoff game. Anyone can be slow as molasses, get owned on defense, miss wide open three balls, close out late (multiple times) on one of the best shooters in the nba... .... Give me a young guy that shows even a smidgen of potential... Because it definately can't get any worse. ... If there was a Gary Neal thread because he had one good game... I would do the same. All bonner showed the first series is the Lakers are REALLY bad..

Btw, I do not single bonner out when we lose... I single bonner out when he sucks... Which is often.

Last edited by TimmyDthaWay2B; 05-09-13 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-09-13, 08:12 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Agreed to not get too excited after one good game but again you don't have an alternative we can discuss just "anyone"....

It's not that hard just have a look at which players are $3.9 mill or lower and are not on a rookie contract and are actually in the league so we have some idea as to whether they can actually play at NBA level or not and suggest who you think would do a better job.

Because the argument from me is not that he deserves more or that he is a key reason for a win, he deserves what he gets and is not in the top 5 offensive or defensive options so should not be singled out after a loss.

What he brings is three point shooting, this year he is at 70% in the playoffs, and good defence on a PF or C.... not SF pretending to be that.

I do not see an alternative for the price that can do that so I appreciate what Bonner brings.
Old 05-10-13, 12:28 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Agreed to not get too excited after one good game but again you don't have an alternative we can discuss just "anyone"....

It's not that hard just have a look at which players are $3.9 mill or lower and are not on a rookie contract and are actually in the league so we have some idea as to whether they can actually play at NBA level or not and suggest who you think would do a better job.

Because the argument from me is not that he deserves more or that he is a key reason for a win, he deserves what he gets and is not in the top 5 offensive or defensive options so should not be singled out after a loss.

What he brings is three point shooting, this year he is at 70% in the playoffs, and good defence on a PF or C.... not SF pretending to be that.

I do not see an alternative for the price that can do that so I appreciate what Bonner brings.
he won't see 3.9 million next year from anyone
Old 05-10-13, 01:51 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:

Yeah those numbers came from last series, what has he done for us this series? This is not a good matchup for him, he is not DECENT on D in this series so far so he is not good on D. He has some series where he matches up well I guess, but this IS NOT ONE OF THEM . I see him (OTHERS TOO) getting beat out there on D and giving up wide open layups. Is he to blame probably not, but he is not a good matchup in this series here with their athleticism.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 05-10-13, 06:38 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
he won't see 3.9 million next year from anyone
Agreed.
Old 05-10-13, 06:39 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzarector7 View Post
Yeah those numbers came from last series, what has he done for us this series? This is not a good matchup for him, he is not DECENT on D in this series so far so he is not good on D. He has some series where he matches up well I guess, but this IS NOT ONE OF THEM . I see him (OTHERS TOO) getting beat out there on D and giving up wide open layups. Is he to blame probably not, but he is not a good matchup in this series here with their athleticism.
Or any series prior to playing the horrible lakers?? He has never done anything but suck in the playoffs... Wish we could have nick Collison instead...
Old 05-11-13, 07:05 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Those numbers are from 6 games so both series, again nothing but a pull down and pointing out he doesn't match up to a smaller more mobile and athletic SF, thank you all Bleacher Report could use your analysis.

So then no one has an alternative? If not with us he will get paid $3.9 mill somewhere as that is cheap for what he gives you, a big man who can defend his position and hit the three enough that a defender has to stay with him to make him miss.... Spreading the floor and is a PnR option that throws his man off when used.

Don't expect big three production but he earns what he is paid
Old 05-11-13, 08:26 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Those numbers are from 6 games so both series, again nothing but a pull down and pointing out he doesn't match up to a smaller more mobile and athletic SF, thank you all Bleacher Report could use your analysis.

So then no one has an alternative? If not with us he will get paid $3.9 mill somewhere as that is cheap for what he gives you, a big man who can defend his position and hit the three enough that a defender has to stay with him to make him miss.... Spreading the floor and is a PnR option that throws his man off when used.

This can go on forever... Agree to disagree..
Old 05-11-13, 05:40 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:

Are you using the Steve Novak pay system chart?
Old 05-11-13, 06:34 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Agree with Kager, Of a person who is #13-#15 on our bench you are asking #6-7 performance besides he is worth 3.9 million for you guys to have someone to b---- & moan about.
Old 05-12-13, 09:52 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Are you using the Steve Novak pay system chart?
Sorry WIll I don't get that, I just looked up Bonners contract for this year and said find someonne better for the same or less money.
Old 05-13-13, 12:16 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Sorry WIll I don't get that, I just looked up Bonners contract for this year and said find someonne better for the same or less money.
13.4 minutes per game. 4.2 points per game. 1.9 rebounds per game.

2013-14 is partially guaranteed if waived before June 29, 2013, fully guaranteed after that.

$3,945,000 you wanna pay that next year? Oh wait it's not your money or cap space.

To answer your question yeah there is little to choose from when getting a big man who shoots 3's. My thing is why pay it? Look at Gary Neal's contract. Better bang for the buck.
Old 05-13-13, 08:17 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
13.4 minutes per game. 4.2 points per game. 1.9 rebounds per game.

2013-14 is partially guaranteed if waived before June 29, 2013, fully guaranteed after that.

$3,945,000 you wanna pay that next year? Oh wait it's not your money or cap space.

To answer your question yeah there is little to choose from when getting a big man who shoots 3's. My thing is why pay it? Look at Gary Neal's contract. Better bang for the buck.
Ok then thats an answer go for Neal as the three point off the bench, so then you are missing a big you would currently have TD, Splitter, Diaw and Baynes (apparently they are saying they see potential and want to develop him more). That could work if you get a back up SF, looking at free agents (ignoring restricted etc):
- Speights (Shooting PF so could work, player option currently getting $4 mill)
- Garcia (Rockets do have team option but if they don't he performed ok and would be available for decent money)
- Earl Clark
- AK 47 still has some in the tank.
- Ronnie Brewer is cheap could be worht developing
- Alan Anderson (early days but could work out well)

I would go for one of the first three but then I am still not confident in getting any free agent already in the league which is why I back the current parts usually.
Old 05-13-13, 10:31 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Ok then thats an answer go for Neal as the three point off the bench, so then you are missing a big you would currently have TD, Splitter, Diaw and Baynes (apparently they are saying they see potential and want to develop him more). That could work if you get a back up SF, looking at free agents (ignoring restricted etc):
- Speights (Shooting PF so could work, player option currently getting $4 mill)
- Garcia (Rockets do have team option but if they don't he performed ok and would be available for decent money)
- Earl Clark
- AK 47 still has some in the tank.
- Ronnie Brewer is cheap could be worht developing
- Alan Anderson (early days but could work out well)

I would go for one of the first three but then I am still not confident in getting any free agent already in the league which is why I back the current parts usually.
I like Tony Allen to be honest as a free agent target.
Old 05-13-13, 11:53 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Wow I thought he would have been on more but being on $3.3 mill this year he could go for around that.
Old 05-14-13, 12:42 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyDthaWay2B View Post
Or any series prior to playing the horrible lakers?? He has never done anything but suck in the playoffs... Wish we could have nick Collison instead...
I agree, he sucks in the playoffs. We all know that by now. If some still have faith smack yourself, he sucks in the playoffs. Agreed.
Old 05-19-13, 06:51 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzarector7 View Post
I agree, he sucks in the playoffs. We all know that by now. If some still have faith smack yourself, he sucks in the playoffs. Agreed.
Didn't suck today!!!
Old 05-19-13, 06:54 PM
SpursReport Team Member

x factor Bonner!
Old 05-19-13, 07:01 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gdon View Post
Didn't suck today!!!
Yea the trend seems to be for every 6 bad games he will give you one good one. I'll take it today.
Old 05-19-13, 07:06 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

He did everything that he needed to do. It's taken him a helluva long time to figure it out. Now he needs to bring it CONSISTENTLY.

Kawhi is turning into the understated star the Spurs hoped to draft a few years ago, and Danny Green is proving to be worth that contract.

Gotta say how impressed I am with Joseph. He can't replace TP (let's not get ridiculous), but the team doesn't lose much when he's in there. Very hard-nosed D.

...and a quick word for DeJuan. Very tough, very creative on O. Keeps his head in the game and his physical skills ready even though he almost never sees the floor. If he could only figure out defensive rotations, he'd be able to stick around in SA. I fear that's not gonna happen...
Old 05-19-13, 07:08 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Bonner has sucked in the post season his entire career. That's why I thought his early performance warranted a "kudos" post. Now that he has actually had an impactful game in the conference finals, there can be no doubt that this is his finest playoff season ever. Never know if he'll keep it up but for now, I am happy with his play.
Old 05-19-13, 07:25 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Yea the trend seems to be for every 6 bad games he will give you one good one. I'll take it today.
I don't expect him to be a factor in all the games he plays, but I've always had my expectation that he would be locked in for one or two games in a series which puts us over the top.
Old 05-19-13, 07:30 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
I don't expect him to be a factor in all the games he plays, but I've always had my expectation that he would be locked in for one or two games in a series which puts us over the top.
Not sure we got it last series. So let's just hope we get one more from bonner.

I don't expect a lot from bonner, but I do expect him to hit wide open three's. He didnt do it last series, but off to a great start this series. The spurs as a team seemed very confident from the tip, bonner definately fed off of that. Never looked like the spurs were ever comfortable vs GS. Maybe it was just me that was uncomfortable.

Last edited by TimmyDthaWay2B; 05-19-13 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-19-13, 08:06 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

The whole playoff series he is hitting 61.5% of his threes, including today I did the math, and per 48 he is about 12 points and 6 rebounds..... you should be happy for your 7th or deeper option at $3.9 mill to be doing that, and it should be acknowledged as he is not as inconsistant as he is made out to be just used a certain way and works against the right match ups.

Which again is the reason he why he is not a starter on starter contract.
Old 05-19-13, 08:09 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Not sure we got it last series. So let's just hope we get one more from bonner.

I don't expect a lot from bonner, but I do expect him to hit wide open three's. He didnt do it last series, but off to a great start this series. The spurs as a team seemed very confident from the tip, bonner definately fed off of that. Never looked like the spurs were ever comfortable vs GS. Maybe it was just me that was uncomfortable.
I think he was just a bad matchup against that team. His entire reason for existence is to pull big men out of the paint. GS played a lot of small ball and it didn't take Pop long to realize that there was no need to force Bonner out there. Now that we are back to lumbering big men, Bonner's ability to pull them out of the paint or make them pay with threes, like today, will be big again.

Keep it up Red Rocket

Last edited by b1gdon; 05-19-13 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-19-13, 08:34 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Matt Bonner has no regard for human life.

Why would he care what we think?

$
Old 05-20-13, 02:24 AM
SpursReport Team Member

He was great in WCF-1.

But we all know that he will not do this consistently, but no problem. If he plays one more game like this in this series, it will be enough for us.
Old 05-20-13, 03:11 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

BONER!!!!!!! YES HE got up when it counted again! Time will tell! KEEP IT UP.
Old 05-20-13, 04:44 AM
The Master Baiter

Well, truth be told, the Grizzlies will adjust and will not leave him open anymore, which is good because that will give Tony even more room to work. But he was great defensively against Randolph as well.
Old 05-20-13, 06:39 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
I think he was just a bad matchup against that team. His entire reason for existence is to pull big men out of the paint. GS played a lot of small ball and it didn't take Pop long to realize that there was no need to force Bonner out there. Now that we are back to lumbering big men, Bonner's ability to pull them out of the paint or make them pay with threes, like today, will be big again.

Keep it up Red Rocket
I agree this is a better matchup... But there were a handful of uncontested bricks against GS.

Regardless... Rooting for Bonner to keep it up. If defense adjusts to bonner and opens the paint up even more, I would consider that a pretty valuable contribution as well.
Old 05-20-13, 01:15 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timm View Post
Someone, please find me a single playoff game where bonnie has hit a big three when the Spurs where down by 8, 10 whatever and really needed to fight back into a game.

He's playing well when the Spurs are up and there's no pressure. Sorry. Show me something when it counts.
Game 1 against the Grizz 2 years ago. Bonner hit 2 3-pointers in the last 90 seconds of the game to put the Spurs up by 2. Zach Randolph hit a 3 to win it for the Grizz so everybody forgets that Bonner was the reason the Spurs were up to begin with.
Old 05-20-13, 02:50 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Wow!! Bonner has come a long way, from end of the bench to his own thread now 2 pages long and growing!
Old 05-22-13, 10:47 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Made more threes when the heat was on the spurs last night while still battling Randolph down low
Old 05-22-13, 11:36 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

He clanked a few open looks that could have closed out the game in the 4th...
Old 05-22-13, 12:12 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Old 05-22-13, 12:28 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckennaspur1 View Post
He clanked a few open looks that could have closed out the game in the 4th...
Everyone was missing down the stretch of regulation.
Old 05-22-13, 12:33 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
The whole playoff series he is hitting 61.5% of his threes, including today I did the math, and per 48 he is about 12 points and 6 rebounds..... you should be happy for your 7th or deeper option at $3.9 mill to be doing that, and it should be acknowledged as he is not as inconsistant as he is made out to be just used a certain way and works against the right match ups.

Which again is the reason he why he is not a starter on starter contract.
The per 48 is a crap stat period. Amazing how Bonner is such a great deal at 3.6 or 3.9 million but Vince Carter is a STARTER who made 3 million this year with Dallas. Is Bonner a better player than VC right now???????? FYI Vince hit 40% of his 3's this year.
Old 05-22-13, 12:44 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
The per 48 is a crap stat period. Amazing how Bonner is such a great deal at 3.6 or 3.9 million but Vince Carter is a STARTER who made 3 million this year with Dallas. Is Bonner a better player than VC right now???????? FYI Vince hit 40% of his 3's this year.
But is Carter a stretch 4? Is he going to keep 4 of the league's premier post defenders in Gasol bros., Howard and Randolph out of the paint? Is VC going to harass and harry the aforementioned post players into mediocre to bad offensive performances? I've been on Bonner in the past, but this year's playoffs have been phenomenal for him.
Old 05-22-13, 02:13 PM
Been here too long to be a Spursreport Rookie

Quote:
But is Carter a stretch 4? Is he going to keep 4 of the league's premier post defenders in Gasol bros., Howard and Randolph out of the paint? Is VC going to harass and harry the aforementioned post players into mediocre to bad offensive performances? I've been on Bonner in the past, but this year's playoffs have been phenomenal for him.

Agreed, anything we get from him in the Playoffs is a bonus. You can't get on the guys for missing last night, he is 13-24 in the playoffs so far. The foul on Z-Bo was terrible, at least wrap him up, but overall he has been playing great ball. And there is no way I would take Vince Carter over Matt Bonner, that is a joke.
Old 05-22-13, 02:38 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit7 View Post
Agreed, anything we get from him in the Playoffs is a bonus. You can't get on the guys for missing last night, he is 13-24 in the playoffs so far. The foul on Z-Bo was terrible, at least wrap him up, but overall he has been playing great ball. And there is no way I would take Vince Carter over Matt Bonner, that is a joke.
Glad you're not in charge of the Spurs' salary cap. I think Dallas getting VC at that price is pretty good look at the stats and the salaries.