News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 04-17-13, 10:14 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Rise of Kawhi coincides with the fall of Jackson Posted on 04/12/2013 by Buck Harvey

The day the Spurs traded for Stephen Jackson, they won. They had, in effect, subtracted a year of Richard Jefferson’s salary by taking on Jackson. Amnesty for Jefferson wouldn’t have been as financially effective.

The Spurs also thought Jackson might be able to help, but they weren’t counting on it last season. He showed up out of shape for the Milwaukee training camp in the fall of 2011, after all, and was shooting 28 percent from the 3-point line when he arrived in San Antonio.

So what the Spurs got last year from him was a bonus. But the trade did something else. Jefferson’s exit made it easy to give Kawhi Leonard the starting slot he deserved, and made it just as easy to tell Jackson he would be his backup.

Friday came with something similar.

It was also, in part, about Leonard.

Spurs staffers stuck to a company line Friday evening, both in public and private, while trying to explain why they would release a player a week before the playoffs began. “We thought this was best for our group,” Gregg Popovich said for the record.

Off the record, some talked about Jackson’s poor play this season, and one number is the same as it was when he arrived last season. Jackson, again, is shooting 28 percent from the 3-point line.

But it’s not as if the Spurs haven’t had slumping players heading into the playoffs before. So why not keep Jackson, since he’s getting paid no matter? Why not keep someone who could bump with Kevin Durant, who handles playoff pressure well and who might repeat what he did in Game 6 in Oklahoma City?

Then, he tossed in six 3-pointers. “I’m having fun!” Jackson screamed in the second quarter, and few of the Spurs had the same look.

Popovich loved this side of Jackson. When Popovich yelled “I want some nasty” in Game 1 against the Thunder, he wasn’t surprised Jackson was the one who responded...

CONTINUE READING HERE

Last edited by JuanCaca; 04-17-13 at 10:18 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-17-13, 10:38 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanCaca View Post
The day the Spurs traded for Stephen Jackson, they won. They had, in effect, subtracted a year of Richard Jefferson’s salary by taking on Jackson. Amnesty for Jefferson wouldn’t have been as financially effective.

The Spurs also thought Jackson might be able to help, but they weren’t counting on it last season. He showed up out of shape for the Milwaukee training camp in the fall of 2011, after all, and was shooting 28 percent from the 3-point line when he arrived in San Antonio.

So what the Spurs got last year from him was a bonus. But the trade did something else. Jefferson’s exit made it easy to give Kawhi Leonard the starting slot he deserved, and made it just as easy to tell Jackson he would be his backup.

CONTINUE READING HERE
...and we all counted on Pop neé Buck Harvey to give a sentimental send-off to Jax. Cue the music.
Old 04-17-13, 10:39 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabspur View Post
Perhaps we can waive Blair today, and sign Kevin Willis. Then, maybe waive Neal and sign Vinnie Johnson. We could then let go of Nando and resign Steve Kerr. Then, lets waive Bonner, and pick up.... Wait, let's just waive Bonner. It is the playoffs after all.
Vinnie Johnson? Damn lol. If you plan to go that far back have them sign Tom Copa and Jack Haley too!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-17-13, 12:47 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
......... and Jack Haley too!
You don't mean the Jack Haley --- Rodman's interpreter?
Old 04-17-13, 01:14 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Allen Bristow, anyone?
Old 04-17-13, 01:36 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
You don't mean the Jack Haley --- Rodman's interpreter?
Actually I saw him twice and one time I spoke with him in person. Very nice laid back guy. I think he liked that someone actually knew who the hell he was.
Old 04-17-13, 02:00 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

How about the Ice Man?
Old 04-17-13, 03:03 PM
SpursReport Rookie

How about Simmie Hill and Goo Kennedy? Or Edgar 'Helicopter' Jones? Am I dating myself here? I don't think T Mac is a bad move. If he gives us nothing, that's what Jackson gives us from the waiver wire. If he gives us a little, he gives us what Bonner gives us. If he gives us more, RC I enhances the Spurs management mystique. There is certainly no downside for the price. Potentially gives us a third player who can create off the dribble. Even if its for limited minutes.
Old 04-17-13, 03:39 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
T-Mac doesn't have to carry the team, all he has to do is fit in for 6-8 minutes
But it only takes him 2-3 minutes to quit.
Old 04-17-13, 08:26 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanCaca View Post

It was also, in part, about Leonard.

Spurs staffers stuck to a company line Friday evening, both in public and private, while trying to explain why they would release a player a week before the playoffs began. “We thought this was best for our group,” Gregg Popovich said for the record.

Off the record, some talked about Jackson’s poor play this season, and one number is the same as it was when he arrived last season. Jackson, again, is shooting 28 percent from the 3-point line.

But it’s not as if the Spurs haven’t had slumping players heading into the playoffs before. So why not keep Jackson, since he’s getting paid no matter? Why not keep someone who could bump with Kevin Durant, who handles playoff pressure well and who might repeat what he did in Game 6 in Oklahoma City?

Then, he tossed in six 3-pointers. “I’m having fun!” Jackson screamed in the second quarter, and few of the Spurs had the same look.

Popovich loved this side of Jackson. When Popovich yelled “I want some nasty” in Game 1 against the Thunder, he wasn’t surprised Jackson was the one who responded...

CONTINUE READING HERE
They aren't going to come out and say it was about an extension, but come on, read between the lines. Sure he wanted to play more, but he wants to showcase himself so he can get more money in the free agent market. He knows, with his numbers now, he's a minimum contract player. Why would a veteran player, who's supposed to be a good teammate, complain so much about playing time on a legitimate contending team that he gets fired a week before the playoffs?
Old 04-17-13, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post
But it only takes him 2-3 minutes to quit.
i wonder if someone we can nab Scola from the Suns and bring the Rockets to our bench
Old 04-18-13, 03:44 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
i wonder if someone we can nab Scola from the Suns and bring the Rockets to our bench
Wouldn't work.
Spurs aren't in the lottery. Scola would be lost.
Old 04-18-13, 07:48 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

From couch potato to insurance policy: T-Mac returns

Posted on April 17, 2013 at 12:44 pm by Dan McCarneY

Tracy McGrady spent the latter portion of Wednesday’s shootaround cramming with assistant coach Mike Budenholzer. Three interns shagged balls, the better to maximize McGrady’s acclimation process as he comes straight off his couch in Houston to fill a role that has yet to be determined with the Spurs.

“We don’t have any expectation,” head coach Gregg Popovich said. “He may not play at all and he may play a bunch. It just depends on situations as we move along. He’s a quality player and a good person and he’ll fit in well with everybody. We’re glad to have him.”

McGrady, likewise, said he’s thrilled to be back in the NBA after moonlighting in China for a brief season — with a potential championship team, no less. The opportunity arose last week with the unexpected release of reserve forward Stephen Jackson. Jackson reportedly was upset with his role, something McGrady vowed won’t be an issue.

“This is unbelievable,” said McGrady, who averaged 5.3 points with Atlanta last season. “It’s a championship organization, something I haven’t really been part of my entire career. I’m very excited. I’m humbled for the opportunity. I’m not sure when I’ll play or if I’ll play. That’s not the place for me (to complain). I just know when my number is called, I’ll be ready.”

McGrady, 33, said he was “shocked” when Popovich called on Sunday, as he and his family were leaving church, to offer him a job. McGrady said his agent had been in casual contact with the Spurs throughout the season, even as he lit up the Chinese Basketball Association with Qingdao DoubleStar.

McGrady had been anticipating a potential call-up to the NBA upon returning to the United States in late February. When that call never came, McGrady said he slid into “couch potato” mode.

“I tell you, I got real relaxed,” he said. “I was with my kids because the whole time I was in China, I didn’t see my kids. So I was enjoying my time off. I kind of relaxed a little bit. And out of the blue, here we go. It was a shocker.”

The Spurs are McGrady’s seventh NBA team. Despite an impressive array individual accomplishments — two scoring titles, seven All-Star teams, two top five finishes in MVP voting — he’s perhaps best known for failing to advance past the first round of the playoffs in eight tries. It’s a distinction McGrady takes issue with, and is eager to erase with a Spurs team that will be heavily favored to advance when the postseason begins this weekend.

“I’ve never got past the first round,” he said, “but it takes more than just me. If you look at what I’ve done in the regular season, and my playoff numbers, I’ve always stepped up. The teams we faced was obviously better than us. It just didn’t happen.

“A couple times with the Rockets, we played series without Yao. How difficult is that to play without your other star guy? Orlando, my whole playoff career there, I didn’t have great help. It’s good to be a part of a team with tradition of winning championships and expects greatness. And no pressure’s on me.”

(For what it’s worth, McGrady’s playoff scoring average is 25.2 points per game compared to 19.6 in the regular season.)

McGrady’s other notable feat is scoring 13 points in the final 35 seconds to stun the Spurs in a 2004 regular-season game. Not only do the Spurs still remember — “ (Pop) made a few jokes about me busting his ass over the years,” McGrady said — it might even be a national holiday in China, where McGrady became hugely popular while playing next to Yao Ming with the Rockets.....

CONTINUE READING HERE