SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-13, 04:44 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Spurs Release Stephen Jackson

well here is some news. Wonder who takes his spot

Spurs Release Stephen Jackson: Hoops Rumors
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-12-13, 04:56 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Dang, the Spurs are headed into the playoffs in a weird way
Old 04-12-13, 05:14 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Wow. This, along with Diaw having back surgery, makes me wish for another couple weeks of regular season.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-12-13, 05:22 PM
SpursReport Team Member

yeah really weird end of the season, be a whole lotta luck if we make it anywhere. in pop we trust my a**
Old 04-12-13, 05:38 PM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

Well, apparently dude couldn't handle doing what he was told. He knew the score here in SA, don't keep pressing when Pop lets you know what your role will be. He obviously wasn't helping chemistry.
Old 04-12-13, 05:44 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

:shocked we have 2 guys down so pop kicks another one to the curb???

Old 04-12-13, 05:49 PM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

PEOPLE!, according to local radio, Jax was throwing tantrums on the sidelines. Apparently he and Parker had a blowout in the sideline recently too. If he was being detrimental to team chemistry, we don't need him here. He had agreed to hold off his complaints until after the season, he couldn't do it, he couldn't be professional. It's his fault.
Old 04-12-13, 06:01 PM

I wonder how much the loss of the baby impacted his emotional state? That's got to be one of the most traumatic events that a person can go through and with him being as emotional as he is anyway it's a wonder he was able to keep his head screwed on at all.

Going into the playoffs you just can't afford to have disruptions in the locker room.
Old 04-12-13, 06:02 PM
Spurs Fan in NJ since 1987

When a ship is sinking, the Captain throws all non essential items overboard!
Old 04-12-13, 06:14 PM
The Master Baiter

Can't wait to see WilltheThrill's thoughts on this. Jack was expendable and didn't bring much to the table. I'm pretty sure he's getting antsy over his extension.
Old 04-12-13, 06:17 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Wow.... Just asking for a first round exit.
Old 04-12-13, 06:48 PM
SpursReport Team Member

So the one player who brought his balls to the OKC series last year gets dumped a week before the playoffs?

If we survive the first round against Golden State,Denver takes us out in round two.What a lame end to a great season.
Old 04-12-13, 06:50 PM
SpursReport Team Member

He wasn't playing that much to begin with, and when he was, he wasn't very good. It sucks because its one less body to throw at KD and lebron, but ultimately this isn't going to make or break our playoff run
Old 04-12-13, 07:00 PM
SpursReport Team Member

True,our playoff run is already broken.

No Manu,Diaw,Jax and a hobbled TP?

Tim and Kawhi can only do so much.
Old 04-12-13, 07:32 PM
Been here too long to be a Spursreport Rookie

Jackson was playing terrible this year. Can someone please explain to me how this hurts us in the playoffs?
Old 04-12-13, 07:45 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I don't blame Jackson for being pissed by his diminish role this year. Pop hardly played the guy. Jackson could never get into a rhythm because of Pops crazy substitutions and when Stephen was playing decent, Pop would pull him. Pops just as much to blame as Jackson!! They cut the one guy who had the balls to talk trash with opposing players and they keep guys like Bonner, Blair!! That says it all right there!! Good possibly of a first round exit!!
Old 04-12-13, 07:54 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
Dang, the Spurs are headed into the playoffs in a weird way
A weird way indeed, and it sure as hell is not a positive way like last year. This team appears to be falling appart right now.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 04-12-13, 07:56 PM
Been here too long to be a Spursreport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkp65 View Post
I don't blame Jackson for being pissed by his diminish role this year. Pop hardly played the guy. Jackson could never get into a rhythm because of Pops crazy substitutions and when Stephen was playing decent, Pop would pull him. Pops just as much to blame as Jackson!! They cut the one guy who had the balls to talk trash with opposing players and they keep guys like Bonner, Blair!! That says it all right there!! Good possibly of a first round exit!!
Ok I just want to be clear here. Instead of blaming the guy who is notorious for being a cancer in the locker room, who went into the stands to fight fans, and who had a gun at a strip club and fired off a few rounds; you want us to blame coach pop. Because he didn't give Jackson enough chances?? Pop brought Jackson back to San Antonio, did he not? Even after he left the team after the '03 championship.

Bonner and Blair are high character players, and Stephen Jackson (one of my all-time fav spurs btw) is not in a good place mentally obviously.

But no, you're right. Lets put this all on Gregg Popovich. Because he has been known to make questionable decisions regarding the roster... Ridiculous.
Old 04-12-13, 07:57 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

I won't say a thing, short on players already and now no backup SF at all. Diaw might be able to fill in there, but he is out for 3-4 weeks. This doesn't surprise me with the way the year was heading already.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 04-12-13, 08:07 PM
SpursReport Team Member

there is plenty of blame to go around....but I will chalk it up more to age and lack of enough talent.
Old 04-12-13, 08:54 PM
Moderator & Chatroom Greeter

WTH!!! Why???
[email protected]
Old 04-12-13, 09:03 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHENEA View Post
WTH!!! Why???
DUMB DUMB DUMB
Old 04-12-13, 09:20 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit7 View Post
Ok I just want to be clear here. Instead of blaming the guy who is notorious for being a cancer in the locker room, who went into the stands to fight fans, and who had a gun at a strip club and fired off a few rounds; you want us to blame coach pop. Because he didn't give Jackson enough chances?? Pop brought Jackson back to San Antonio, did he not? Even after he left the team after the '03 championship.

Bonner and Blair are high character players, and Stephen Jackson (one of my all-time fav spurs btw) is not in a good place mentally obviously.

But no, you're right. Lets put this all on Gregg Popovich. Because he has been known to make questionable decisions regarding the roster... Ridiculous.
Let me be clear here. In my statement, I didn't say to put ALL blame on Popovich! Also, what did your high character guys do last year in the playoffs or any year before that? I think the answer to that question is a big fat nothing!! I would take Jackson over those 2 scubs any day of the week, but then again, you're just one of those zombie Popovich fans who think he can't do any wrong!! Ridiculous!!

Last edited by bkp65; 04-12-13 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-12-13, 09:38 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkp65 View Post
Let me be clear here. In my statement, I didn't say to put ALL blame on Popovich! Also, what did your high character guys do last year in the playoffs or any year before that? I thank the answer to that question is a big fat nothing!! I would take Jackson over those 2 scubs any day of the week, but then again, you're just one of those zombie Popovich fans who think he can't do any wrong!! Ridiculous!!
I don't think Pop did this lightly. This is not a decision on the level of Nando's minutes in last night's game. This appears to be strictly a chemistry decision. The Spurs are less talented now, but are possibly a better team. Time will tell.

The funk the Spurs have been in for the last couple weeks may be a direct symptom of this decision, or it may be completely unrelated.

I do hope that Jack is well.
Old 04-12-13, 10:32 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

wattaheck!!!

i was xpecting a magical fire in sjax during playoffs!!, a Robert horryesque resurgence danggg no Boris no sjax ...we are with bonner & blair again!! if only great barrier baynes suddenly became x factor!!
Old 04-12-13, 10:49 PM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit7 View Post
Jackson was playing terrible this year. Can someone please explain to me how this hurts us in the playoffs?
It's one less player to throw at Lebron or KD like fakemxcan said....plus he's one of the few players that actually show up in the playoffs. It's hurts us but doesn't completely kill our chances. Having diaw out sucks also, one less big
Old 04-12-13, 11:11 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I'm shocked. Jackson was one of my favorite players and now he's gone. I started a topic around all-star break asking if Jackson was done...looks like he was. Big mistake not moving his contract when we had the chance.
Old 04-12-13, 11:51 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
Can't wait to see WilltheThrill's thoughts on this. Jack was expendable and didn't bring much to the table. I'm pretty sure he's getting antsy over his extension.
Yeah were you saying that during the playoffs last season on him bringing nothing????? Captain Jack has had a bad year no doubt but you want to keep RJ for 11 million plus next year instead?? Nobody is with you on that one brother even after today's news. Look I said they needed an edge and I used SJax as an example and predicted his trade here for RJ as a logical move. You and everybody else on here said it would never happen. It did. I won either way because it DID happen in reality. I said the Warriors made the deal because of the conditional first rounder. The Spurs main reason was to get rid of RJ and his contract that was one year longer and a guy who could actually understand the system unlike RJ. Both teams got their objectives done. I even said the main reason for the trade for the Spurs was for salary cap flexibility in 2013. Look at all their free agents this summer which doesn't include your precious little Red Rocket having a team buyout option.(mark this they will trade him or exercise that option this summer on him) I also said that if for any reason they re-signed SJax it would have been for a much lower amount since he is 35 now. Now they can play Kawhi 40 plus minutes and have SJax's salary off the books this summer. So it sucks they didn't use his salary to trade him but I guess they really coveted the salary cap space more. Yes I like the guy because he plays with grit and so on but you play him out to be my boy for some strange reason. According to local newspaper reports here, he wasn't complaining about an extension. He wanted to play more and compete. Is that so self centered of him to want to play? Anyways I don't drink the "Trust in Pop" kool aid but I'm sure he crossed Pop in some way. If so, Pop is the president of basketball operations and it's his call in the end. I have said everyone is expendable on the Spurs except the Big 3. If you notice they are never in my awesome trade ideas!

PS...................Look up RJ's stats this year and his salary next season. SJax trade made sense.
Old 04-13-13, 05:17 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Well, if his offense went down Jax still played good defense. We are still down one small forward behind Leonard. You can only ask of so much from one person and Manu isn't what he used to be. None the less, it's gonna be interesting.
Old 04-13-13, 05:40 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Tracy McGrady is free. He could give Leonard a rest for 10 to 15 minutes at least.
Old 04-13-13, 07:34 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesysN4R View Post
Tracy McGrady is free. He could give Leonard a rest for 10 to 15 minutes at least.
Nevermind.

Last edited by katyspursfan; 04-13-13 at 07:40 AM.
Old 04-13-13, 07:56 AM

So does this mean the Pop doesn't have the magical powers that many say he does to make everyone behave and believe in the system?
Old 04-13-13, 09:15 AM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmengd View Post
well here is some news. Wonder who takes his spot
With Diaw going down with back surgery, I would think the Spurs would look at another big. The only player available I can think of who could fill in without any problem might be Kurt Thomas, recently released by the Knicks. And he already knows the Spurs schema but would he be eligible for the playoffs?
Old 04-13-13, 10:39 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
With Diaw going down with back surgery, I would think the Spurs would look at another big. The only player available I can think of who could fill in without any problem might be Kurt Thomas, recently released by the Knicks. And he already knows the Spurs schema but would he be eligible for the playoffs?
I don't think that they find anyone but since we're grasping at straws, I'll go with McDyess or a Toro.
Old 04-13-13, 10:52 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Interesting that there is no announcement on the Spurs website but he is no longer listed in the roster.
Old 04-13-13, 11:43 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Decimation (Latin: decimatio; decem = "ten") was a form of military discipline used by officers in the Roman Army to punish mutinous or cowardly soldiers. The word decimation is derived from Latin meaning "removal of a tenth".

Maybe Jack's demise was also Pop sending a message to the team that it was time to get their sh!t together.
Old 04-13-13, 11:52 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

Well that was a gutsy move by Pop and am sure he got Duncan's buyin before releasing Jax. There's got to be more to this. On the other hand Jax was just not consistent and even his defence was inconsistent.

It does put us 1 body down who can trail Kobe/Durant etc.. but am sure Pop thought this through.
Old 04-13-13, 12:57 PM
SpursReport Team Member

In Trouble , No player on a any wavier wire or any D-league player can help. another season wasted.
Old 04-13-13, 01:17 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster View Post
In Trouble , No player on a any wavier wire or any D-league player can help. another season wasted.
Only wasted in the sense that the Spurs are still reeling from the Richard Jefferson acquisition. Jackson was a definite step up and worth the risk. The last chapter(damage) comes with wherever the Spurs get eliminated in the playoffs. The end.

I hope the $10 mil gets put to better use this summer and a fair and balanced roster can be assembled.
Old 04-13-13, 02:22 PM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

Does anybody realize that we can't sign anybody for the playoffs? Know the NBA rules people. March 1st is the deadline.
Old 04-13-13, 03:20 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom32x4 View Post
Does anybody realize that we can't sign anybody for the playoffs? Know the NBA rules people. March 1st is the deadline.
Actually they can as long as they have not played in the league this year.
Old 04-13-13, 03:43 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Damn what Spurs fans! Another wasted season someone said. Maybe the bench guys will rise to meet the challenge. Give em some bit of a chance damn! I hate seeing Jax go but things happen we don't like oh well. He was our grit our dirt bag our crap talker and we'll get another next season. But now let's see what these guys will do 4 now.
Old 04-13-13, 04:52 PM

Why are folks acting like this is the end of the season? Yeah he brought a certain edge to the team, but the reality is he didn't contribute that much this year.

Now if everyone is thinking that during the playoffs he was suddenly going to become 29 and a stud and save the day, well I have some ocean front property just outside of Phoenix I'd like to talk to you about.

The playoff success of the Spurs depends on Tim, Kawhi and Tony with an assist from Green and Tiago. It was NEVER going to depend on SJax.
Old 04-13-13, 05:46 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
Yeah were you saying that during the playoffs last season on him bringing nothing????? Captain Jack has had a bad year no doubt but you want to keep RJ for 11 million plus next year instead?? Nobody is with you on that one brother even after today's news. Look I said they needed an edge and I used SJax as an example and predicted his trade here for RJ as a logical move. You and everybody else on here said it would never happen. It did. I won either way because it DID happen in reality. I said the Warriors made the deal because of the conditional first rounder. The Spurs main reason was to get rid of RJ and his contract that was one year longer and a guy who could actually understand the system unlike RJ. Both teams got their objectives done. I even said the main reason for the trade for the Spurs was for salary cap flexibility in 2013. Look at all their free agents this summer which doesn't include your precious little Red Rocket having a team buyout option.(mark this they will trade him or exercise that option this summer on him) I also said that if for any reason they re-signed SJax it would have been for a much lower amount since he is 35 now. Now they can play Kawhi 40 plus minutes and have SJax's salary off the books this summer. So it sucks they didn't use his salary to trade him but I guess they really coveted the salary cap space more. Yes I like the guy because he plays with grit and so on but you play him out to be my boy for some strange reason. According to local newspaper reports here, he wasn't complaining about an extension. He wanted to play more and compete. Is that so self centered of him to want to play? Anyways I don't drink the "Trust in Pop" kool aid but I'm sure he crossed Pop in some way. If so, Pop is the president of basketball operations and it's his call in the end. I have said everyone is expendable on the Spurs except the Big 3. If you notice they are never in my awesome trade ideas!

PS...................Look up RJ's stats this year and his salary next season. SJax trade made sense.
Please don't waste your breath. Anyone who doesn't know that Spurs need Jack haven't watched the Spurs for the last few seasons. Jack gives the Spurs an edge both defensively and offensively! You just watch how tissue soft we'll be puttin Blair, Bonner and Neal in his place. Sure chemistry is important but let's not act like Jack was worthless because he wasn't lightin up the scoreboard. No one gave Durant more problems than he did in the P.O.s last year. When he and Leonard were on the floor, the Spurs D was locked in!
Old 04-13-13, 06:16 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

We've waived guys before under similar circumstances( finley , theo ratliff) and usually with the same flip response of "we're going to let him play somewhere". This fashion seems a little more intense, but I think for the same reasons. Now that it is done, what do the spurs do? Maybe run a 3 guard set off the bench, and try to have Neal/De Colo/ Joseph try to use their athleticism and play making to run their sets.
Old 04-13-13, 07:00 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyAdamII View Post
We've waived guys before under similar circumstances( finley , theo ratliff) and usually with the same flip response of "we're going to let him play somewhere". This fashion seems a little more intense, but I think for the same reasons. Now that it is done, what do the spurs do? Maybe run a 3 guard set off the bench, and try to have Neal/De Colo/ Joseph try to use their athleticism and play making to run their sets.
I doubt Joseph is included although I wish he was because of his speed and defense compared to the other guards mentioned. They likely shorten the rotation for the playoffs. I have seen them use Blair, Bonner and either Splitter or Diaw on the court at the same time..

To be honest, I don't see a satisfactory solution. This is playoff basketball and you need to be properly manned and the Spurs are not.

Last edited by Spurd_On; 04-13-13 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-13-13, 09:54 PM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
Actually they can as long as they have not played in the league this year.
Yeah, because we would sign and use somebody who hasn't played in the league all year with 3 games left in the season.

Anybody signed for that spot will probably be a body they're interested in for next year. Baynes would be better this playoffs than anybody we could possibly sign right now, even McDyess.
Old 04-13-13, 10:40 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
Why are folks acting like this is the end of the season? Yeah he brought a certain edge to the team, but the reality is he didn't contribute that much this year.

Now if everyone is thinking that during the playoffs he was suddenly going to become 29 and a stud and save the day, well I have some ocean front property just outside of Phoenix I'd like to talk to you about.

The playoff success of the Spurs depends on Tim, Kawhi and Tony with an assist from Green and Tiago. It was NEVER going to depend on SJax.
YES, he could have hit a big shot or two and played some D, but like you said he was not going to make or break the team this year, the problems they have had or are having now would still be there if he was here. We don't have a backup SF though so they are very short there, thats the thing that really bothers me.

If they were going to win it all this year though or fall flat on their face early on, it would not have been his fault nor his doing that won them the title! He was not playing well this year as you said so no he was not going to make some huge impact and lift this team to a title when his shooting was woahful this year.

I don't think they are going to win a title this year nor have thought that for a while, this before he had a bad season and way before they waived him, just my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
I doubt Joseph is included although I wish he was because of his speed and defense compared to the other guards mentioned. They likely shorten the rotation for the playoffs. I have seen them use Blair, Bonner and either Splitter or Diaw on the court at the same time..

To be honest, I don't see a satisfactory solution. This is playoff basketball and you need to be properly manned and the Spurs are not.
Lets be quite honest right now, doubt the way things are going that this team is going anywhere this year unless some kind of revelations happen. I agree with what you said here.

Last edited by Rzarector7; 04-13-13 at 10:43 PM.
Old 04-14-13, 02:00 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I've thought this over for 24 hours now and still don't feel any better. SJAX was one of our better players and would have played an important role off the bench. I think if you look at last year's series with OKC, us vs. them +Martin -Harden might just give us the advantage...but now us -SJAX I don't know anymore. Really hope Kawhi can endure all the minutes we will need to play him now and not get too tired guarding Durant and (hopefully) Lebron all game. And hopefully Manu can come back fully healthy and show some signs of his old self to make up for what we've now lost from our bench.
Old 04-14-13, 09:08 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I'm not happy with the move. However, we don't know the back story here. No doubt the Spurs did a thorough analysis and concluded they were better off without Jax in the locker room.

I have to assume they had facts that we do not have access to. Truth be told, this team was unlikely to get past OKC with or without Jax.