News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 04-10-13, 11:53 PM
SpursReport Rookie

4th Quarter

I don't think I have seen a more pathetic performance of basketball by the Spurs than what I saw tonight in the 4th quarter! What tops it off is a 3 on 1 fast break that turns into a Gary Neal miss 3 point shot! They don't watch it, they'll get knocked out in the first round!

Last edited by bkp65; 04-11-13 at 12:07 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-11-13, 12:22 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

This team is in some serious trouble right now, this is starting to remind me of 011 late... They look bad. Injuries and so on yes, but the last month this team has given me no reason at all to believe they are going anywhere. You don't go this far back before the playoffs begin and then just reverse it all of the sudden and turn it on. This team is stumbling now into the playoffs, period.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-11-13, 12:26 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I'm with BK, we had injuries they had injuries but we clocked out at the start of the 4th.... the one thing that I don't get in Pop's planning is when he makes a judgement call with 12 minutes to go that this is over and throw in a bunch that doesn't usually get any time to suddenly be it.

You are not blooding someone when you take them from a cold bench to suddenly being in the hot middle, guys like Mills who never usually get time suddenly is running it against a team that has momentum against you... that deep end was dark and cold and I don't see how it helps them.

When people look at the box scores they don't automatically wisely nod to themself thinking "that looks bad but I know Pop would have made a call by then and so it was bench time".... they look and go wow the Nuggets embaressed the Spurs.

Everyone will probably say nothing in the scheme of it and rest is best etc, but two seasons ago when we did this going into the playoffs we got owned.... last year we went in with momentum and we got past some good teams.

Yes we are injured so can't be expected to march into the playoffs, but if we give up on games where there is still the chance to play into a winning position we can't expect to suddenly turn it on in the playoffs.
Old 04-11-13, 01:29 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kager View Post
I'm with BK, we had injuries they had injuries but we clocked out at the start of the 4th.... the one thing that I don't get in Pop's planning is when he makes a judgement call with 12 minutes to go that this is over and throw in a bunch that doesn't usually get any time to suddenly be it.

You are not blooding someone when you take them from a cold bench to suddenly being in the hot middle, guys like Mills who never usually get time suddenly is running it against a team that has momentum against you... that deep end was dark and cold and I don't see how it helps them.

When people look at the box scores they don't automatically wisely nod to themself thinking "that looks bad but I know Pop would have made a call by then and so it was bench time".... they look and go wow the Nuggets embaressed the Spurs.

Everyone will probably say nothing in the scheme of it and rest is best etc, but two seasons ago when we did this going into the playoffs we got owned.... last year we went in with momentum and we got past some good teams.

Yes we are injured so can't be expected to march into the playoffs, but if we give up on games where there is still the chance to play into a winning position we can't expect to suddenly turn it on in the playoffs.
That is true, playoffs do not just magically fix things! Infact they honestly will show more of your deficiencies....... If some think the playoffs will just fix things, they are sadly mistaken.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 04-11-13, 01:49 AM
SpursReport Team Member

The team is in stand-by mode at the moment.

Without Parker-Manu-S-Jax and even Diaw, no need to talk about the game. If we're going to play without them in playoffs, yes we will be eleminated in first round. But if they will come back and ready to surge; I'm still hopeful.
Old 04-11-13, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkp65 View Post
I don't think I have seen a more pathetic performance of basketball by the Spurs than what I saw tonight in the 4th quarter! What tops it off is a 3 on 1 fast break that turns into a Gary Neal miss 3 point shot! They don't watch it, they'll get knocked out in the first round!
that Gary Neal stuff is the norm. dude shouldn't be in the game, let alone handling the ball on a break or at all.

at best he's a situational player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuncaboylu View Post

Without Parker-Manu-S-Jax and even Diaw, no need to talk about the game. If we're going to play without them in playoffs, yes we will be eleminated in first round. But if they will come back and ready to surge; I'm still hopeful.
the results are a bit typical, but you have to talk about the stuff that you saw from the players. one of those things was Splitter's posting up. he couldn't post up skinnier, lankier guys than him. dude starts close to the rim and gets pushed out to the FT line. doesn't matter if Duncan, Manu, TP, Jackson, Diaw are in there, if the guy can't post up against guys he should be able to that's going to cause trouble in the postseason.
Old 04-11-13, 06:45 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
that Gary Neal stuff is the norm. dude shouldn't be in the game, let alone handling the ball on a break or at all.

at best he's a situational player.

the results are a bit typical, but you have to talk about the stuff that you saw from the players. one of those things was Splitter's posting up. he couldn't post up skinnier, lankier guys than him. dude starts close to the rim and gets pushed out to the FT line. doesn't matter if Duncan, Manu, TP, Jackson, Diaw are in there, if the guy can't post up against guys he should be able to that's going to cause trouble in the postseason.

Splitter didn't became a very good post-up player in his whole career. That's why it's not a surprise. But he knows pick&roll very well and it's his strongest offensive weapon. And while Parker and Manu out, you can not play pick&roll with Neal.

Parker and Manu doesn't only help to score, they also make some guys better than they actually are.
Old 04-11-13, 08:06 AM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Can't figure out why Pop has so much trust in Joseph that he plays for over 25 minutes and the results are 3 turnovers, no defensive presence, and the team is a minus 11 points while he played, and yet Nando plays only 21 minutes no turnovers and a point spread of a plus 1.

What's the deal? I realize that Pop says 'home court doesn't matter' but the reality is team chemistry does and CJ isn't even remotely ready to be a point guard on a big time team in pressure time and Pop needs to severely limit his minutes.

On a 3 point miss by Neal that lead to a beautiful fast break by the Nuggets, Joseph was freaking standing on the baseline watching, he was under and behind the basket, no way could he have gotten back even if he wanted to.

He needs to understand he's not playing for a non-achieving team of Rick Barnes where you don't have to hustle or play defense, these are the SPURS!
Old 04-11-13, 08:18 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Jose do we really have to go into the whole this loss is on Splitters lack of a post game again? There is obviously numerous issues of greater magnatude than our 5th or worse scoring option not doing what you want..... at least you are consistant.
Old 04-11-13, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kager View Post
Jose do we really have to go into the whole this loss is on Splitters lack of a post game again? There is obviously numerous issues of greater magnatude than our 5th or worse scoring option not doing what you want..... at least you are consistant.
:applause:applause
Old 04-11-13, 12:28 PM
The Master Baiter

Well, Splitter has never had a post game on his own, just his ugly hook shot. So that's not going to change. But really, the Spurs are missing 4 of their 8 main guys, two of which are your facilitators. I think we are taking this "They can just plug anyone into the system" thing a little too far.
Old 04-11-13, 02:44 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Spurs fast break defense was horrible or they just that slow. Nuggets where running every play back at us at some point you should figure that it is best to run back as soon as the shoot goes up and forget about offensive rebounds. It embarrassing to get beat every play back. Garry Neal just needs to stop handling the ball the same goes for Green. We got two point guards that can handle the ball so Green and Neal need to do their job and spot up for open shoots. Stop wanting to be a playmaker because that not your game. Now Leonard need to be more of our playmaker and stop giving the ball up to guys like Green and Neal that will not do anything good with it but run time up and shoot bad shoot or turnover the ball. More Leonard please..................

Last edited by DemonMvp; 04-11-13 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-11-13, 05:24 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I think we are overreacting a bit. Did I want a victory last night? Of course I did but as soon as I saw we were down 12+ in the beginning of the 4th I know pop was throwing the towel and so did the team at the exact moment. No biggie to me. Lets not kill ourselves with our deficiencies people. RZA you and I agree Neal is terrible and isn't a ball handler and last night he tried to be that. Jose, we know Tiago is what he is. However, he is our second best big and he needs to play MUCH better in the Pos. We know this much we are banged up but POP is the best in the game for a reason. Do u not think he's miserable over how the teams playing lately. Sure he wants them to be in a groove but if you are to thing one thing from this entire post, take this: we finished last season on a 10 game winning streak and won 10 consecutive in the playoffs before losing 4 straight. Pop was begging for a loss to wake the team up. Secretly i think he's a bit happy over our lackluster play and recent struggles with execution, defense, etc. The terrible play lately gives ammunition and fire to the team. We know what's coming, and Pop will be harping to the team about it all and you KNOW DAMN WELL they're going to respond.

Anyway Timmy's playing the best ball in like 5 years and Tony was having a career year before going down. You don't think he's licking his chops to prove people he's the best pg still after getting injured?!? (Man goes down and suddenly forgotten about as he was in the MVP discussion for majority of the season)... Finally last but not least, Manu! Team playing their cards right by giving him his excessive rest to the point of overkill. Better safe than sorry people and pop knows what it will take to get us to the promise land. Things look bleak now, he'll bleakest they looked all season, but playoffs are around the corner and we will right the ship. We need our two generals in Manu and TP back on tht battlefield because that's what we need to resemble the offensive machine we displayed most of the season. Rest my compatriots, we will get where we all want us to be

- Confucius

Last edited by spurduncan21; 04-11-13 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-11-13, 06:18 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I am half with you Spurdunc and I am not running from falling sky but I worry about a repeat of 2011 where our team attitude sucked going in to the playoffs and it was worse than 2012.

I am not worried about losing as such just the fact it goes from TD and Kawhi to end of bench who have not touched the court for a long time, they are suddenly thrown in and I am not sure they learnt much and definately didn't show fight like the Heat game (there they also knew they were in for a big night).

I don't know TD and Kawhi's health so maybe it was needed to yank both but it didn't look like a good learning experience, for e.g. I would love to have seen Kawhi stay in to see how he can take scoring responsibilities.... but he may be hurting more than we know.
Old 04-11-13, 08:32 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Is it possible Pop would prefer Houston-GState/Denver to LALakers-Clips/Grizz for a path to meet the Thunder?
Old 04-11-13, 09:45 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurduncan21 View Post
I think we are overreacting a bit. Did I want a victory last night? Of course I did but as soon as I saw we were down 12+ in the beginning of the 4th I know pop was throwing the towel and so did the team at the exact moment. No biggie to me. Lets not kill ourselves with our deficiencies people. RZA you and I agree Neal is terrible and isn't a ball handler and last night he tried to be that. Jose, we know Tiago is what he is. However, he is our second best big and he needs to play MUCH better in the Pos. We know this much we are banged up but POP is the best in the game for a reason. Do u not think he's miserable over how the teams playing lately. Sure he wants them to be in a groove but if you are to thing one thing from this entire post, take this: we finished last season on a 10 game winning streak and won 10 consecutive in the playoffs before losing 4 straight. Pop was begging for a loss to wake the team up. Secretly i think he's a bit happy over our lackluster play and recent struggles with execution, defense, etc. The terrible play lately gives ammunition and fire to the team. We know what's coming, and Pop will be harping to the team about it all and you KNOW DAMN WELL they're going to respond.

Anyway Timmy's playing the best ball in like 5 years and Tony was having a career year before going down. You don't think he's licking his chops to prove people he's the best pg still after getting injured?!? (Man goes down and suddenly forgotten about as he was in the MVP discussion for majority of the season)... Finally last but not least, Manu! Team playing their cards right by giving him his excessive rest to the point of overkill. Better safe than sorry people and pop knows what it will take to get us to the promise land. Things look bleak now, he'll bleakest they looked all season, but playoffs are around the corner and we will right the ship. We need our two generals in Manu and TP back on tht battlefield because that's what we need to resemble the offensive machine we displayed most of the season. Rest my compatriots, we will get where we all want us to be
Yes this is what we all want and way to stay positive! I would not bet on it though. Problems are there and they are not just going to change because the playoffs are arriving. They have work to do, lets hope they can right the ship but I will take it in by year as a fan and not expect much.
Old 04-12-13, 08:20 AM
SpursReport Team Member

let's not forget the stubbornness of coach Popovich of some habits...
Old 04-12-13, 08:39 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I don't know what to think. It is clear to me, however, looking at the oppression on Pop's face, and Duncan's face that they are not concerned and do not feel like the team is heading in the wrong direction. I truly believe that Pop would rather lose some games than play players that may get injured.

The only problem with that is it reminds me of the season we lost in the 1st round to Memphis. We had the best record in the league, but we lost a bunch of games right at the end of the season and started the playoffs with zero momentum.

I think this is part of the plan, but if the plan doesn't work this time (meaning we limp into the playoffs and play poorly), we will have to blame Pop.
Old 04-12-13, 09:20 AM

While keeping a positive attitude, it is almost important to be realistic. Remember Vegas is built on the reality that there are more optimists than Mathematicians gambling there.

For the Spurs to make it to the finals, the big 3 needs to be Tim, Tony and Kawhi. Tiago and Green can't disappear like they did last year, they have to step their games up.

The 2nd unit (the two or three that get to play) can't come in with deer in headlight look and freak out, SJax needs to be consistent, Nando needs to play defense, Diaw needs to score some freaking points, and Neal, well Neal needs to be Neal of two years ago and then anything we get from Manu will be icing on the cake.

There are certain facts that can't be overlooked, Manu isn't the Manu of 5 years ago, he's more brittle, he's not to be counted on, heck when he comes back this time,how many really believe that he'll last for more than a few games? It's undeniable that there has been a steady decline in his skill set, because of how he plays the game, and if Pop thinks for a moment that Manu can suddenly regain his touch, then it's going to be another disappointing playoff run for the team.
Old 04-12-13, 10:59 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
While keeping a positive attitude, it is almost important to be realistic. Remember Vegas is built on the reality that there are more optimists than Mathematicians gambling there.

For the Spurs to make it to the finals, the big 3 needs to be Tim, Tony and Kawhi. Tiago and Green can't disappear like they did last year, they have to step their games up.

The 2nd unit (the two or three that get to play) can't come in with deer in headlight look and freak out, SJax needs to be consistent, Nando needs to play defense, Diaw needs to score some freaking points, and Neal, well Neal needs to be Neal of two years ago and then anything we get from Manu will be icing on the cake.

There are certain facts that can't be overlooked, Manu isn't the Manu of 5 years ago, he's more brittle, he's not to be counted on, heck when he comes back this time,how many really believe that he'll last for more than a few games? It's undeniable that there has been a steady decline in his skill set, because of how he plays the game, and if Pop thinks for a moment that Manu can suddenly regain his touch, then it's going to be another disappointing playoff run for the team.
That's a great deal to do but all of it is correct.

"Tiago and Green can't disappear like they did last year, they have to step their games up."

Or disappear like they have the past few weeks.
Old 04-12-13, 11:00 AM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post

Couldn't agree more. I've been harping on Manu for a few years, but for good reason. He's just not the same. I love what he used to be, but he's not that anymore. People here think that if he's healthy, he can be the old Manu. No, plain and simple. He really can't take anyone off the dribble anymore, his 3pt percentage has gone down, he seems to be a turnover factory at the worst possible times. I know, looking at the box score, he seems to have had a good game, but how many times in a game do you say to yourself, "Why did he do that?!?!". And remember, he was healthy last year, had some statistically good games against OKC, but he could NOT score in the last few minutes of the game. Bad shots, bad passes, etc. I will be glad if he's ready for the playoffs, because he can help in stretches, but title chances CANNOT rest on his shoulders or we will all be severely disappointed again.
Old 04-12-13, 02:25 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:

Old 04-12-13, 11:03 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Quote:

:
You have to admit, this is now kind of creepy. Does anyone know any thing tunc and I can do to reverse the curse we seemed to have unleashed?