News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-13, 10:52 AM
SR Team Goof

My 5 Simple Keys to Victory and a RiverWalk Parade

We are now coming down the home stretch before the playoffs and this has always been a time when the Spurs should be fine tuning some of their rough points before the first round. However, over the past few weeks, the Spurs have played in somewhat of a daze, at least to me anyways, and seem to be out of synch. Throughout this past season, the Spurs have shown glimpses of greatness and have shown that if they come together as a team, they cannot be beaten, regardless of who their opponent may be. But lately, they’ve been hot and cold and not consistent.

Before every game, Bill Land and Sean Elliot go over the keys to victory for that particular televised game. I feel these five KISS keys (keep it simple stupid) listed below are essential for the Spurs to apply to each playoff game if they are going to make any showing in the playoffs. IMHO, if the Spurs can maintain all of these keys in each game, they will make it to the finals and to another Riverwalk parade this June.

Please feel free to add your keys or comment.

1. They need to keep the ‘team’ concept in their offensive schema and stay away from one on one basketball.

2. They need to cut down on turnovers and not give their opponents added opportunities

3. They need to limit further injuries to key personnel. We have a list of walking wounded right now and the bench needs to be ready to step up if someone gets hurt.

4. They need to maintain their defensive posture and play good ‘Spurs’ defense

5. Last and most important --- STAY FOCUSED!!
Old 04-09-13, 11:14 AM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

1. BALL MOVEMENT!! When the Spurs are moving the ball from side to side, they're unguardable.

2. Bench play. Seems pretty horrible as of late. I'd like to see little or no drop off from the 1st to 2nd unit. 1st unit plays well and 2nd unit loses the lead. Don't know what the right answer is but they need to figure it out and quick. I actually like the idea of (when and if Manu get's healthy) bringing Tiago off the bench and starting Diaw. Manu and Tiago play amazing together and really feed off eachother.

just my .02
Old 04-09-13, 12:45 PM
SR Team Goof

I can’t agree with you more. When the Spurs work the ball around, particularly when you have bigs who know how to pass, it’s a thing of beauty to watch. They make it look so easy and it makes the opponent work that much more on defense, especially against those teams who like to double team or occasionally rely on a zone.

But I do have an issue with Pop and his use of the bench in the playoffs. Throughout the regular season and years past, he’s been known to experiment with different rotations and often times used the entire bench and not just when there may be a rout. I think Pop may need to expand his rotation for the playoffs and possibly avoid his standard 7-8 man set. And when most of our top 7-8 players are over 30 and recovering from past injuries and physically vulnerable, you need to utilize what got you there. We ran out of gas against OKC last year and I wouldn’t want to see that happen again.
Old 04-09-13, 03:44 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I agree with everyone's assessment and would like to add one more. OKC started playing Spurs
Ball ( team ball ). This maximized their athletics instead of trying to overpower one on one.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-09-13, 06:14 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan View Post
I agree with everyone's assessment and would like to add one more. OKC started playing Spurs
Ball ( team ball ). This maximized their athletics instead of trying to overpower one on one.
So did:
Miami, New York, Indiana......

Denver, Golden State, Houston, Memphis......

As well as several teams that will not make the playoffs.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-09-13, 11:43 PM
SR 2013 Pick the Winner Champ & Rookie of the Year

I think these are all solid concepts. The fact is that this applies for any of the top teams heading into the playoffs so whichever team can be the most successful in these areas will be the one who's partying in june.
Old 04-10-13, 02:16 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
We are now coming down the home stretch before the playoffs and this has always been a time when the Spurs should be fine tuning some of their rough points before the first round. However, over the past few weeks, the Spurs have played in somewhat of a daze, at least to me anyways, and seem to be out of synch. Throughout this past season, the Spurs have shown glimpses of greatness and have shown that if they come together as a team, they cannot be beaten, regardless of who their opponent may be. But lately, they’ve been hot and cold and not consistent.

Before every game, Bill Land and Sean Elliot go over the keys to victory for that particular televised game. I feel these five KISS keys (keep it simple stupid) listed below are essential for the Spurs to apply to each playoff game if they are going to make any showing in the playoffs. IMHO, if the Spurs can maintain all of these keys in each game, they will make it to the finals and to another Riverwalk parade this June.

1. They need to keep the ‘team’ concept in their offensive schema and stay away from one on one basketball.

2. They need to cut down on turnovers and not give their opponents added opportunities

3. They need to limit further injuries to key personnel. We have a list of walking wounded right now and the bench needs to be ready to step up if someone gets hurt.

Keeping it simple is difficult. Ask any Spur.
Old 04-10-13, 04:48 AM
SR's Resident Laker Hater

1) The most important. dynamic. of all and I cannot stress this or repeat it enough and will absolutely. GUARANTEE. a Riverwalk parade in June is to score more points and/ make more baskets than the. opposing team when the playoffs arrive.
It's as absolute as the Lakers suck.
Old 04-10-13, 09:13 AM
SpursReport Rookie

very simple: as Moses Malone famously said once win "fo', fo', fo'" (four, four, four)— of course back in the day only three series, so let me add one moe fo"- WIN win "fo', fo', fo', FO" Baby!
Old 04-10-13, 09:19 AM
The Master Baiter

This is all fine, but when you get to the conference finals and the finals, all the teams have figured out these keys. At that point, it DOES come down to who has the most unstoppable players on the court. That's why the Spurs lost, because they couldn't keep Durant, Harden and Westbrook from scoring or getting to the line. And then they lost the bet that the OKC bigs couldn't hit midrange jumpers.
Old 04-10-13, 09:31 AM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
This is all fine, but when you get to the conference finals and the finals, all the teams have figured out these keys. At that point, it DOES come down to who has the most unstoppable players on the court. That's why the Spurs lost, because they couldn't keep Durant, Harden and Westbrook from scoring or getting to the line. And then they lost the bet that the OKC bigs couldn't hit midrange jumpers.
True'dat. But with Harden gone, I think the Spurs can stop OKC and win a 7 game series.

Also I fogot to mention. We need an x-factor. In 03' it was SJax, 05' Horry, 07' Finley. This year, who knows? But I'm gonna go with Kawhi Leonard (KY) being that for us this year
Old 04-10-13, 09:45 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post

Great list.

To expand on #1 - DO NOT DUMP THE BALL INTO TD IN THE LOW POST LIKE WE HAVE BEEN DOING LATELY WITH PARKER/GINOBILI OUT. KEEP RUNNING OUR MOTION TEAM OFFENSE. TIM WILL GET HIS LOOKS THAT WAY AND BE MORE EFFICIENT.
Old 04-10-13, 10:09 AM
Official Whorry Hater!

This post was featured on MVPTexas.com MVP Texas | My 5 Simple Keys to Victory and a RiverWalk Parade

Old 04-10-13, 11:17 AM
Official SR Home Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombear View Post
Nice! :applause
Old 04-10-13, 04:27 PM
SR Team Goof

I’m very humbled by this gesture. Gracias a mis amigos. By the way, who is that masked man……..
Old 04-10-13, 09:06 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Get league/officials to give Spurs even a little bit of respect....... While NOT blowing our opposition.

This is probably more critical than #s 1 through 5
Old 04-11-13, 06:51 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Dont think it matters. We won't be winning the title. Even if we get to finals, you really think refs would let us win? Never. I'm assuming we would be playing Miami.
Old 04-11-13, 04:25 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

My five keys:
1. Get healthy
2. Get healthy
3. Get healthy
4. Get healthy
5. Get healthy
Old 04-14-13, 08:04 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esparzar1 View Post
True'dat. But with Harden gone, I think the Spurs can stop OKC and win a 7 game series.

Also I fogot to mention. We need an x-factor. In 03' it was SJax, 05' Horry, 07' Finley. This year, who knows? But I'm gonna go with Kawhi Leonard (KY) being that for us this year
Hopefully Danny Green stays sharp-shooting even throughout the playoffs... that would make him our x-factor.
Old 04-15-13, 12:24 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I trust kawhi over green