News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-13, 11:38 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Are the Spurs limping into the playoffs?

With Tony having multiple minor injuries, Manu questionable, Green and Splitter could be disappearing acts in big games, plus Neal not fully healthy... I hope I'm not the only one simi concerned. So between resting and injured guys, will they have that chemistry weave grown to love for the p.o's?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-06-13, 05:13 PM
SR Team Goof

The only concern I have is when are the Spurs going to get that reliable ‘big’ man who can spell Duncan effectively? :sarcasm All kidding aside, what scares me is the fact that over the last 4-5 games, the opponents have driven and dominated the lane while Duncan is on the bench. But there have been times when Pop has pulled them aside and spoken to them (very professionally) to get focused on what they’re doing and the players again play aggressively. It’s that loss of focus while the game to progressing that bothers me. That and I wish that Tiago could get off the ground when he’s supposed to, on shots around the rim and dunks. I forgot – white men can’t jump. As far as injuries go, the age factor and their drives to the rim may be catching up to TP and Manu. But Duncan seems to have captured the secret to revitalizing his play and is peaking at the right time -- he’s been downright awesome at times and has many analysts amazed by his play. I truly think TD might get some righteous consideration for MVP voting. But I sincerely hope that TD and Kawhi’s knees hold out. Hopefully the Spurs can stay healthy in the playoffs and maybe allow Will Sevening to sit out a few games
Old 04-06-13, 06:33 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Team bus is now officially an ambulance
Old 04-06-13, 06:54 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
The only concern I have is when are the Spurs going to get that reliable ‘big’ man who can spell Duncan effectively? :sarcasm All kidding aside, what scares me is the fact that over the last 4-5 games, the opponents have driven and dominated the lane while Duncan is on the bench. But there have been times when Pop has pulled them aside and spoken to them (very professionally) to get focused on what they’re doing and the players again play aggressively. It’s that loss of focus while the game to progressing that bothers me. That and I wish that Tiago could get off the ground when he’s supposed to, on shots around the rim and dunks. I forgot – white men can’t jump. As far as injuries go, the age factor and their drives to the rim may be catching up to TP and Manu. But Duncan seems to have captured the secret to revitalizing his play and is peaking at the right time -- he’s been downright awesome at times and has many analysts amazed by his play. I truly think TD might get some righteous consideration for MVP voting. But I sincerely hope that TD and Kawhi’s knees hold out. Hopefully the Spurs can stay healthy in the playoffs and maybe allow Will Sevening to sit out a few games
I think those knee excuses are just a way to get guys rest without a fine. I sure as heck would of liked to have got Al Jefferson and Hakim Warrick and got rid of Blair right about know! Splitter just isn't the playoff contributor we need in the twilight of TD's career. Just hope Tiago can prove me wrong and earn his next paycheck.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-06-13, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJONESIII View Post
With Tony having multiple minor injuries, Manu questionable, Green and Splitter could be disappearing acts in big games, plus Neal not fully healthy... I hope I'm not the only one simi concerned. So between resting and injured guys, will they have that chemistry weave grown to love for the p.o's?
yes, but so is everyone else
Old 04-07-13, 08:27 AM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

There's something missing from this team.

Last year they went into the playoffs with a 10 game winning streak, then 10 in the playoffs then got smoked 4 in a row by the Thunder.

I wonder if going into the playoffs playing sub 500 ball (which is a real possibility), with several players not playing consistently hard EVERY game, losing their focus, get lax and losing games to team they should have beaten or playing incredibly close games with teams they should have blown out will mean a more successful playoff run?

Do some of these guys believe they can actually just flip a switch and be OK? If so, boy are they going to be surprised.
Old 04-07-13, 09:00 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

The disconcerting part is that Stephen Jackson is still stating that the Spurs have a lot to work on. This isn't the time of the season to be making statements like that. The turnovers, mental errors and spacing are horrendous. Not something you would expect from a Pop-coached team.
Old 04-07-13, 11:47 AM
The Master Baiter

Last season everyone was relatively healthy. The last few weeks have been riddled with injuries. Big difference. You can't fine tune when you have key players out constantly.
Old 04-07-13, 12:45 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
Last season everyone was relatively healthy. The last few weeks have been riddled with injuries. Big difference. You can't fine tune when you have key players out constantly.
I can understand that but I don't see it as an excuse. Other teams are playing the Spurs with missing and wounded and often executing better than the Spurs. The praise for the Spurs this season was that you can plug anyone into the five-man unit on the floor and the system continues to function. That has not been the case lately.
Old 04-07-13, 01:32 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Sure gives cause for concern, at this point we will just have to trust in Pop.
Old 04-07-13, 08:12 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I think that the problem isn't the big men but the fact that like every year Manu's health is a bigger key than what everyone thinks. That even when he is not peak health his second unit control is vital to "plugging anyone in".

When TP leaves we need his ability to force the D to keep all options covered to keep our spacing, he could pass drive or shoot at any point. Now while others like Neal try to do the same the experience and superior decision making ability take our offence to a higher level.

I would even be as bold to say while TP remains our MVP and TD our linchpin if Manu isn't healthy for the playoffs we will struggle to get out of the 2nd round and won't come out of the West. That is not that big a revelation as he has always been key to our sucess but people forget this when focussing on everyone else as our downfall so it is worth pointing out.
Old 04-08-13, 11:01 AM
The Eternal Optimist

no, they sprinting in. good grief. that is right there with a Craig Seiger to Pop question!
Old 04-09-13, 12:55 AM
Official Whorry Hater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer View Post
no, they sprinting in. good grief. that is right there with a Craig Seiger to Pop question!

Old 04-09-13, 01:36 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

Are they limping into the playoffs? Is the sky blue and is water f in wet!!!!!!!! Sorry this is quite obvious and most knew this, now proceed.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 04-09-13, 12:27 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I struggled with this thought as well. But something has kind of put me at ease a little bit. We were beat up and playing the worst basketball of the season and we still beat Atlanta. We were still within arms reach of Houston, Memphis and OKC. I think the sign of a good team is when you can play like crap and still succeed. I also agree that these "knee injuries" are fine-stoppers. Over the course of 82 games, ever player in the league not named Robert Sacre has an injury that he is nursing and maybe just hasnt announced. I seriously doubt that these injuries are the cause of our limp. I am actually positive about our recent brain freezes. I think it is going to sharpen us up a little bit going into the playoffs and we will play a little more on edge. Case in point, Tiago Splitters idiotic possession during the last 5 seconds of that last game in Atlanta when we are up 4. He goofed off and didnt run the clock out, turned the ball over and then we foulded on a half court 3. That's bad basketball and all of our guys know it. And will fix it.
One final thought: IMO our biggest issue is that we play to the level of our competition. That is great when we are beat up and missing players and almost win IN OKC with their healthy roster. It is bad when we play down to our competition and lose to teams like Minnesota, Pheonix and a beaten and battered Miami Heat. We get complacent and lax on our game and it shows. So hopefully we can turn that attitude around and just play Spurs basketball and not to the level of our competition. Healthy or not, I feel better about going into the Playoffs this year then last. Everyone gave us their best shot last year because we were on such a streak. This year they are already counting us out. I love it. Please count out the greatest Power Forward of all time. Please count out Popovich. Please count out Manu Ginobili. After all, Stephen Jackson makes love to pressure.
Old 04-14-13, 04:38 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I know it doesn't seem like the right time to try this.....but maybe we need to give little used rookies and role players the opportunity to play in the playoffs. I am hoping guys like Nando, Corey Joseph, and Baynes get some time to play and use their youth to our advantage. They may get turnovers and miss assignments, but I think they have shown they can get out and run and make something happen. or we could ride the big 2.5 into the ground and bow out in the 2nd round.
Old 04-15-13, 02:03 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer View Post
...aaaaand someone beat me to the incredulous eyeroll response.