News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-13, 10:25 AM
Official SR Home Builder

Official Cavs at Spurs Game Thread (7:30)

7:30 PM
TV: FSN

Cleveland (22 - 43)

San Antonio (50 - 16)

• San Antonio has a six-game win streak in this series, including a 96-95 squeaker in Cleveland on February 13.
  • The Spurs became the first team to reach 50 wins this season with Thursday's 92-91 win over Dallas. It is their 14th consecutive season with 50-plus wins, extending their NBA record.
  • San Antonio is 24-0 when allowing 91 or fewer points this season. Golden State is the only other NBA team unbeaten in such games (8-0).
  • Tim Duncan had 28 points and 19 rebounds in Thursday's win. It was his first time hitting those two minimums in a regular season game since January 21, 2005 versus the Suns (30 and 19).

Cavaliers-Spurs Preview

AP) -- The San Antonio Spurs are back in the playoffs and their run of 50-win seasons continues.
The Western Conference leaders, though, aren't without their flaws.

San Antonio goes for a seventh consecutive victory over the Cleveland Cavaliers on Saturday night when these teams close out their season series.

With Dallas' Vince Carter missing a 3-pointer in the final second on Thursday, San Antonio (50-16) opened its four-game homestand with a 92-91 victory. The Spurs also clinched a postseason spot for the 16th straight season and extended their NBA-record streak with at least 50 wins to 14.

Still, the Spurs have plenty of room for improvement. They've dropped two of four, with those defeats to Portland and Minnesota coming by a total of 54 points.

"We continued to play in mud like we have been for the last two weeks," said coach Gregg Popovich, whose team is averaging 87.5 points and shooting 39.8 percent in its last two contests. "I'm not sure what to attribute it to, but it's a fact."

Missing Tony Parker for the last six games probably has something to do with it. The All-Star point guard, who is having one of his best seasons with 21.0 points per game and 7.6 assists, is supposed to miss another two weeks with a Grade 2 left ankle sprain.

"We need to get the ball moving again, and people moving again, try to push it a little bit more," Manu Ginobili said after Friday's practice. "Of course without Tony it's a little harder, because this season we got used to relying on him a lot, but now he's not here, he's going to miss a few more games and we've got to keep winning."

The Spurs, 27-4 at home, haven't lost to Cleveland (22-43) since March 8, 2010, after a 3-pointer by Kawhi Leonard with 2.9 seconds left was the difference in a 96-95 victory on Feb. 13.
San Antonio was playing with Parker, Ginobili and Tim Duncan for the first time in exactly a month due to injuries to its Big Three.

Duncan, who missed Tuesday's 25-point loss at the Timberwolves with a sore knee, said he's feeling better after scoring 28 points and coming one rebound shy of his 22nd 20-20 game on Thursday.
"The pain (in the knee) is gone and I'm starting to feel like I can actually play the game," Duncan said.

While Popovich can lean on Duncan, Ginobili, Leonard and many others to pick up the slack with Parker out, Cavs coach Byron Scott doesn't have that same luxury with All-Star point guard Kyrie Irving possibly done for the season with a sprained left shoulder.

With their best scorer and distributor gone, the Cavs have to limit mistakes. They committed six of their 18 turnovers in the fourth quarter of Friday's 96-86 loss at Dallas and were outscored 29-18 during that 12-minute stretch.

"I thought we got a little upset at ourselves at the way we were defending," Scott said. "We kind of let that affect us on the other end."

Rookie guard Dion Waiters, though, finished with 21 points to reach 20 in a season high-tying three straight games. With Irving held to a season-low six points, the No. 4 overall pick scored a team-best 20 in last month's loss to San Antonio.

The Spurs, 10-1 at home against East opponents, have won three in a row with the Cavs in town by an average of 15.0 points.
Old 03-16-13, 12:37 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

Spurs 118
Cavs 99

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-16-13, 01:17 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I want my real Spurs back. I don't know who I have been watching the past several games.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-16-13, 01:36 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
I want my real Spurs back. I don't know who I have been watching the past several games.
We are a spoiled bunch aren’t we? Reviewing my pregame predictions, I’ve got the Spurs at 66-0, not close to the 50-16 record they have now. Hopefully, those 16 losses will serve as an educational tool these guys can learn from and use before the playoffs and not something that will be an afterthought when the season is over. Any team under a .500 winning percentage is suspect to me, particularly when they have their starting point guard (Irving) out til mid-April. If they’re not in the hunt for a bottom seed (7th or 8th seed) playoff spot, then their goal is to bust someone’s butt and cause a ripple in the playoff picture. They’ve got nothing to lose now but maybe some ping pong balls in the lottery drawing positioning. As the Portland/Minnesota losses have taught me, on any given night, a team can get their game together and rollover anyone.

Spurs 105
Cavs 93
Old 03-16-13, 11:48 PM
Administrator

Final Score:
Spurs 119
Cavs 113
Old 03-17-13, 12:18 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Funny this time last year they were startting to heat up bigtime and blow teams out nightly, with Tony out lately the Spurs seem up and down and just not that great on D lately at all I hope they can reach near the level they were earlier or mid year when they were starting to streak! Stumbling into the playoffs would not be good right now. Thankfully they have time.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 03-17-13, 10:26 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

It seems that every game, an unheralded big from the opposing team is stepping up and looking like an All Star. Against Dallas it was Brandan Wright. Against Cleveland it was Marreese Speights! Where did he come from?
Old 03-17-13, 12:22 PM
SR Team Goof

Maybe they misread that the Spurs were still looking for a big to add to their roster and felt these games would be an audition for that spot? Maybe they slugged back a couple 5 hour energy drinks before tipoff which carried a long buzz throughout the game? Or maybe their number finally came up for their time to be in the spotlight for once in their careers.
Old 03-17-13, 02:07 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
It seems that every game, an unheralded big from the opposing team is stepping up and looking like an All Star. Against Dallas it was Brandan Wright. Against Cleveland it was Marreese Speights! Where did he come from?
Either that or a guard like Jarret Jack turning into Isiah Thomas for a game. Jermaine Oneal looked like he was in his prime against us as well, add another big man to the list with his 21 and 13.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.