News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 03-14-13, 08:18 PM
SR Team Goof

Can Heat Win 33 in a Row??

Members of ’72 Lakers say Heat could top 33-game streak

By Kurt Helin

Despite being only the fourth team in NBA history to win 20 straight games, Miami is still a long way from setting the NBA record for consecutive wins. They are just 60 percent of the way there; they’ve got 13 more wins to go to tie it.

That record belongs to the 1972 Lakers, a team with Hall of Famers Jerry West, Wilt Chamberlain and Gail Goodrich, plus off the bench some guy named Pat Riley. They won 69 games that season and eventually a long-awaited NBA ring.

But several players from that Lakers team think the Heat could catch their 33-game streak, they told Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida.
“It is certainly a possibility that the Heat could break our 33-game winning streak,” said Bill Sharman, the Hall of Fame coach of those legendary Lakers. “The record has held for 41 years, and all of us that participated in it are very proud to have been part of that season. However, (Heat president) Pat Riley has put together an amazing team, and I have to admit this one makes me a little nervous.”
“I’d say this is the most serious challenge we’ve had to our streak,” Hall of Fame guard Gail Goodrich, the leading scorer on the 1971-72 Lakers with a 25.9 average, said of the Heat. “I think they’ll make a very, very, very serious run at our record, They might even break it. They’re head and shoulders over the rest of the NBA. Who’s going to beat them? There’s not as much parity in the league now.”
These are competitive guys, they’d like to hold on to the record, but at least they aren’t going ’72 Dolphins with the thing. Besides, one of their own put this Heat team together.

Who broke the Lakers streak? The Milwaukee Bucks, who were the defending NBA champions and had Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Oscar Robertson.

Rest of story: Members of ?72 Lakers say Heat could top 33-game streak | ProBasketballTalk
Old 03-15-13, 01:43 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

The only thing that can stop that accomplishment is a mental letdown by the Heat themselves. After all, they are mostly finishing the regular season against Eastern teams.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-15-13, 09:21 AM
SpursReport Team Member

They're coming to San Antonio at the end of this month. (When possible streak reaches to 29). We're going to beat them and the record attempt will be failed.
Old 03-15-13, 09:37 AM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuncaboylu View Post
They're coming to San Antonio at the end of this month. (When possible streak reaches to 29). We're going to beat them and the record attempt will be failed.
I wonder if Pop will roll out the starting lineup he had at the Nov 29th game in Miami or will he suit up Duncan, Ginobili, Parker and Green for this one? :sarcasm
Old 03-15-13, 09:57 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

The Heat only need to win 9 out of their last 18 games to clinch the East. Depending on whether they also intend to lock down home court advantage against the West, they will probably begin to rest players at some point.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-15-13, 01:40 PM
Been here too long to be a Spursreport Rookie

I hope they do so bspn can start claiming they're the best team all time, and then spurs shut them down in the finals!!
Old 03-15-13, 05:09 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Ever notice how no one is mentioned the Spurs run of 20 games LAST YEAR? I understand we're talking about a "regular season" streak, but isn't winning 20 including 10 in the playoffs that much more impressive? No Charlottes or Pistons in that group, that was a pretty solid Jazz team and the bandwagon Clippers team everyone was talking about.

S
Old 03-18-13, 11:07 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

In the East schedule yes, West.... No!
Old 03-19-13, 05:39 PM
SpursReport Team Member

It's easy for them to win so many games, please the East is a joke! I would love to see if Miami could win that much in the West! Not! Miami is so overrated!
Old 03-20-13, 02:30 AM
Official Whorry Hater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
I wonder if Pop will roll out the starting lineup he had at the Nov 29th game in Miami or will he suit up Duncan, Ginobili, Parker and Green for this one? :sarcasm
that would be awesome...

Old 03-21-13, 04:37 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I noticed where the Heat have now won 23 straight and now are only 1 win ahead of the Spurs. Perhaps we should put an * by their name since they play in the East?
Old 03-22-13, 01:52 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan View Post
I noticed where the Heat have now won 23 straight and now are only 1 win ahead of the Spurs. Perhaps we should put an * by their name since they play in the East?
agreed!
Old 03-22-13, 07:57 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan View Post
Oh boy..... 23 games, no significant injuries, and never resting your players... And still only one game ahead of us! Impressive...... Nooooooottttt!!!! Oh yeah, and they play in the east without, Rondo, Rose, Granger etc.... The gas tank will run dry.
Old 03-22-13, 10:49 AM
Official SR Home Builder

The streak ends tonight.
Against Detroit? at home? Yes. It usually happens when you least expect it.
Old 03-22-13, 05:59 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJONESIII View Post
Oh boy..... 23 games, no significant injuries, and never resting your players... And still only one game ahead of us! Impressive...... Nooooooottttt!!!! Oh yeah, and they play in the east without, Rondo, Rose, Granger etc.... The gas tank will run dry.
Maybe, maybe not.
A decade ago, Duncan was probably playing a comparable number of minutes as James is now.

I do think that the team is also spending more of an effort to maintain the streak than to think long-term. The tank may not run dry prior to game 33 (or 34), but it may be an issue in the playoffs.

Pop has already come forward saying that he wouldn't want another 20 game streak. Admittedly, they are different, since the MIA streak doesn't involves playoffs. But the falloff after a super long streak could impact the team in the long run.