News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 03-03-13, 09:28 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

X Factor

Hopefully Pop will use TP's downtime to not only maintain the team's level of play but also to explore new tactics that can carry over to the playoffs.

Based on what I'm seeing, Kawhi is probably the best shot the Spurs have at that kind X Factor. Against Detroit, he started posting up, the sort of thing small forwards don't do much anymore. It's a new weapon for SA that could add an unexpected dimension. Kawhi can drive to the hole. He hasn't been finishing particularly well, but he keeps drawing fouls. That's a serious asset.

I'd love to have Nando show some of the mini-Manu stuff he's brought to the team, but it looks as if he's still concentrating on learning the offense as a PG. His shot hasn't been great, and he's not driving the lane much. Unless something extraordinary happens, he's not gonna be important until next year the earliest.

It looks as if Patty has been relegated to the role of a Gary Neal copy. I think there's more to his game than that, but so far, he hasn't had much chance to show it off.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-03-13, 09:39 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

If this injury to tp get Joseph into the rotation as the backup going into the playoffs he will be our X factor with his defense, athleticism, and outside shot.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-03-13, 10:10 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
If this injury to tp get Joseph into the rotation as the backup going into the playoffs he will be our X factor with his defense, athleticism, and outside shot.
Speaking entirely about the playoffs, I'd love to believe that , but I can't see how Joseph brings anything to the table that TP doesn't.

I know the Spur FO has great faith in Joseph and is bringing him along slowly. Hopefully, he'll eventually become something near what TP is. But remember how long it took TP to become significant. He'd been in the league a few years and still needed Speedy Claxton to bail him out in the playoffs. Joseph would be an untested rookie in the playoffs. I couldn't expect him to do serious lifting.
Old 03-03-13, 10:16 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckennaspur1 View Post
Speaking entirely about the playoffs, I'd love to believe that , but I can't see how Joseph brings anything to the table that TP doesn't.

I know the Spur FO has great faith in Joseph and is bringing him along slowly. Hopefully, he'll eventually become something near what TP is. But remember how long it took TP to become significant. He'd been in the league a few years and still needed Speedy Claxton to bail him out in the playoffs. Joseph would be an untested rookie in the playoffs. I couldn't expect him to do serious lifting.
It's more what Joseph could do that Neal can't.

Joseph doesn't need to be an offensive playmaker. If he can play hellacious d, hit some spot up threes, and let Manu do his thing as a playmaker, then well be a better team.
Old 03-03-13, 10:27 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

I'll certainly agree with that. All I expect from Joseph right now is that he'll be able to hold the fort until TP gets back. I'm thinking of him as TP Lite...
Old 03-04-13, 01:35 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

The Jury is still out. It was only the first game without TP. Joseph and Mills were both adequate on assists for a first time out. What impressed me about Joseph was his slash to the hoop leaving the defenders in the dust. We already know that Neil has a slick spin move when the opportunity presents itself. Only TP is an expert at that in the Spurs' PG arsenal but Joseph showed that he is getting there. Yes Kawhi is great as well as other Spurs with many adding to the assists but a PG must emerge with a solid track record of assists also to keep the offense in balance when things aren't going well. Defensively and offensively from the perimeter, I thought all the PGs did OK.

Last edited by Spurd_On; 03-04-13 at 01:53 AM.