SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   Places in San Antonio (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/118720-places-san-antonio.html)

bushido 02-26-13 06:29 AM

Places in San Antonio

Hi All,

I am visiting San Antonio foom Japan next month to watch the Spurs play the Warriors&Jazz.

Any suggestions for me to look around in San Antonio??
This is my third time visiting San Antonio and I've been to pretty much all the tourist kind of places. If you had any recommendtions for anything for me to see, I'd like to know.

I'm definitely planning to visit Tim's auto place!

Thank you!

Mombear 02-26-13 07:52 AM

You can also visit Tony Parker's night club... don't remember the name but I'm sure someone on here does.

Also the Pearl Brewery. which is not really a brewery but a collection of shops and on Saturdays they have the Farmer's Market.

:)

dark21horse 02-26-13 08:12 AM

Go see the Alamo, tell the people that work there you want to see the basement.

:bigsmile

silvernblackfan 02-26-13 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mombear (Post 1292920)
You can also visit Tony Parker's night club... don't remember the name but I'm sure someone on here does.

Also the Pearl Brewery. which is not really a brewery but a collection of shops and on Saturdays they have the Farmer's Market.

:)

it's either club nine or nueve

exit7 02-26-13 12:41 PM

You gotta get a quesadilla at chachos!! I don't live in sa anymore but I have dreams about chachos!!

TimmyDthaWay2B 02-26-13 01:55 PM

Go have a Michelada and some roasted salsa from Rosario's (I think). Heavenly!!!

Kager 02-26-13 07:26 PM

As an out of town Spurs fan my favourite stop when there in 07 was to the Walmarts to get cheap Spurs t shirts, shorts etc.... I have lived in those for nearly 6 years.

Also there were some outlet malls on the 35 that had a mix of more Spurs gear and cheap shopping that made my wife happy to come back.

Otherwise we were all the other tourist stuff as well

bushido 02-26-13 09:46 PM

Thank you all. I have to check out Parker's night club!

alh1020 02-27-13 06:04 AM

Bushido – based on what you’ve said, you have been to San Antonio before and are a little familiar with what the city has to offer. A lot of places you may want to visit or dine will be based on a matter of personal taste and San Antonio will not let you down. We’re nuts with shopping centers, malls and knic-knac shops or Mexican/TexMex or BBQ food joints everywhere you turn. But if you’re particular in your shopping types or dining cuisine, I’ve listed some websites that might be able to help. Just remember to put buying another piece of luggage on your ‘to do’ list while you’re here to carry everything you’ve bought back home with you. Since you’ll be here in mid-March, our Spring is usually equivalent to everybody else’s summer, so pack your clothing accordingly. Remember, if you didn’t pack it, you can find what you’re looking for here. If you have a laptop, bring it so you can MapQuest your way around town. Also, if you have allergies, make sure you bring your medication because south central Texas is notorious for exposing a person’s allergies, even if you think you don’t have any. Lastly, bring your camera because with the warmer weather and occasional rain, when we do get it, all the plant life begins to bloom, including the seas of bluebonnets you’ll see growing wild in south Texas. They make a good backdrop for pictures of your spouse, kids or significant other who might come along with you. Just have a good trip and enjoy your stay – you never know where you might plant permanent roots, y’all.

Places to Visit in San Antonio: Check out 162 San Antonio Things to Do - TripAdvisor
San Antonio's Attractions and Activities :: Official San Antonio Visitor Information: VisitSanAntonio.com
San Antonio Restaurants & Dining :: Official San Antonio Visitor Information: VisitSanAntonio.com
San Antonio Restaurants | Urbanspoon
Travel Tex | It's like a WHOLE OTHER COUNTRY
San Antonio Yellow Pages - YP.com
No. 9's Nueve Lounge - San Antonio Express-News
Tim Duncan's new business, 'BlackJack,' sure to be a winning hand

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/678/texasl.jpg

alh1020 02-27-13 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bushido (Post 1292946)
Thank you all. I have to check out Parker's night club!

This might help.

Tony Parker's Nueve Lounge

Mr.MULLETINO 02-27-13 09:25 AM

Go visit the courts in the west side

WhiteChocolateJr 02-27-13 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit7 (Post 1292925)
You gotta get a quesadilla at chachos!! I don't live in sa anymore but I have dreams about chachos!!

I do too...Frozen Jack and Coke and Chips 'n queso (with habanero salsa) dreams. Yum! :yikes

b1gdon 02-27-13 02:40 PM

I highly recommend you make the 30 minute drive Northeast of SA to Lockhart, TX. Texas BBQ is considered by most to be the best BBQ in the US and Lockhart has the 2 best BBQ places in the state...hence, they are the best two BBQ places IN THE WORLD. The Greatest Barbecue Restaurant in the World - Slate Magazine Just keep in mind that they close early (6pm) and aren't open on Sunday.

And since you are half way there, you might as well continue on your journey to Austin which has the state capital, the University of Texas, and a great downtown bar scene. A great side trip would be lunch in Lockhart, see stuff in Austin that afternoon, party on 6th street that evening, then drive back to SA the next morning (stopping back by Lockhart of course (remember it is the two best BBQ places in the world).

While in SA, in addition to the Alamo, there are 4 other historic Spanish missions. Mission San Jose is probably the best. Make sure you check it out if you haven't already. Back during the Great Depression, the US government fully restored the mission as a jobs program. Make sure you take the free guided tour, they have 3 or 4 a day and you can see the schedule on the Mission San Jose website.

Mombear 02-27-13 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dark21horse (Post 1292922)
Go see the Alamo, tell the people that work there you want to see the basement.

:bigsmile

:slap

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.MULLETINO (Post 1292971)
Go visit the courts in the west side

:slap :slap

Mr.MULLETINO 02-28-13 11:10 AM

If you want to go to where the locals go:
La Pulga
Ghost Tracks
Buttercrust Bakery
The Zoo

Or take a small drive to a State Park:
Garner State Park
Enchanted Rock State Park

Or take a 3 hour drive and go to Port Aransas out in Corpus area and go deep sea fishing

Or if you want to party. Take the hour drive to Austin and go to 6th Street.

If you would have planned your vacation 2 weeks earlier, you could have just gone to SXSW

bushido 02-28-13 06:58 PM

Thank you all for more posts!
I'm really looking forward to my trip.
I didn't know about the weather being like summer in San Antonio. It's still freezing in Japan.

b1gdon 03-01-13 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bushido (Post 1293024)
Thank you all for more posts!
I'm really looking forward to my trip.
I didn't know about the weather being like summer in San Antonio. It's still freezing in Japan.

Highs between 70 and 90 with lows between 50-60. Warm but not too hot. That's our spring. It's funny because when you refer to the weather being summer like, I think miserable humid blast furnace where it can still be 95 degrees at 10pm. You probably think of the summer as a rather pleasant time of year.