SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   Kobe Guarantees Lakers Will Make Playoffs (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/118696-kobe-guarantees-lakers-will-make-playoffs.html)

Eddy from Austin 02-21-13 06:59 PM

Kobe Guarantees Lakers Will Make Playoffs

Kobe Guarantees Lakers Will Make Playoffs
Feb 21, 2013 3:19 PM EST

http://basketball.realgm.com/images/...lal_120308.jpg

Kobe Bryant thinks the Los Angeles Lakers will finish the second half of the season strong and qualify for the postseason.

“It's not a question of if we make the playoffs,” Bryant said after a 1-for-8 shooting night against Phoenix on Feb. 12. “We will. And when we get there, I have no fear of anyone -- Oklahoma City, San Antonio, Denver ... whoever. I have zero nervousness about that.”

The Lakers are 3.5 games out of the final spot in the Western Conference, with a tough schedule the rest of the way.

Bryant said there is a strong belief in the Lakers’ locker room that the playoffs are not out of reach.

“I'm not talking about just me,” he said. “Us as a group. We will make the playoffs. And we will compete. And part of the reason I have that confidence is the Miami game [a 107-97 loss in Miami on Feb. 10]. We had control of the game. That was no fluke. We were playing very, very well. We were reading the defense, making the extra pass. OK, they have two great players [LeBron James and Dwayne Wade] who scored eight straight buckets and took control of the game. But we were right there. We can do it."

Via Jack McCallum/Sports Illustrated

mckennaspur1 02-21-13 08:12 PM

Whistlin' past the graveyard...?

esparzar1 02-21-13 08:41 PM

actully dont doubt that they will make the playoffs (I think they're only 3.5 out of 8th seed right now)...I think they can actually get all the way up to the 6th seed....should be interesting....anyways, FTL

KAD 02-21-13 09:00 PM

Kobe's been inhailing too much of Los Angeles polluted fumes! With the way he, Dwight and Gasol are back biting and clueless D'Antoni's coaching - I just dont't see it!

polk 02-22-13 12:39 PM

It will be interesting. He made a plea to all current Lakers players at Dr. Buss's memorial service. Asking each of them, including himself, to look deep inside themselves and play well for Dr. Buss and the tradition of the Lakers. To make the playoffs and compete as he believes/knows they can.

We shall see...

Orient Express 02-22-13 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polk (Post 1292737)
It will be interesting. He made a plea to all current Lakers players at Dr. Buss's memorial service. Asking each of them, including himself, to look deep inside themselves and play well for Dr. Buss and the tradition of the Lakers. To make the playoffs and compete as he believes/knows they can.

We shall see...

Yeah, I thought that was totally classless to talk about that stuff at Dr. Buss's memorial...should've just stuck to talking about the man's life, his greatness/generosity/etc. instead of talking about the freakin' current basketball season and their dysfunction.

Here's to the lottery for the Lakers this summer...

Rzarector7 02-22-13 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orient Express (Post 1292746)
Yeah, I thought that was totally classless to talk about that stuff at Dr. Buss's memorial...should've just stuck to talking about the man's life, his greatness/generosity/etc. instead of talking about the freakin' current basketball season and their dysfunction.

Here's to the lottery for the Lakers this summer...

Thats Kobe for you though, self absorbed and we know that.

Eddy from Austin 02-22-13 05:52 PM

as of 2/22/13
http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/2905/u45iot1.jpg

Eddy from Austin 02-22-13 05:55 PM

Is not a done deal, look at the numbers. Remember that this a team that has been trying to play above .500 bball and can't.
The season starts when?

Spurd_On 02-22-13 06:25 PM

Those odds are about the way I see it right now. They may have a much better stretch run but of the 8 teams ahead of them, one would have to implode and I don't expect that, even if GSW is having a bad run right now. So it can happen, but it will likely take more than just a strong effort on the Lakers' part.

Orient Express 02-22-13 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rzarector7 (Post 1292750)
Thats Kobe for you though, self absorbed and we know that.

Oh, and I just remembered: actually, here's to the Lakers in the lottery, but not really because their 2013 pick is going to the Suns! So here's to the Suns lottery pick no. 2!

Guapo 02-22-13 09:16 PM

Alex Kennedy: If Jazz decide to buyout Raja Bell, the Lakers will try to sign the veteran guard. Bell is working out in Fort Lauderdale and wants to play. Twitter @AlexKennedyNBA

sammy 02-23-13 11:39 AM

LOL @ Kome!

Eddy from Austin 02-23-13 12:23 PM

At least the Spurs loosing to the Warriors worked against the Lakers chances.

spurscrazed 02-23-13 12:31 PM

Meh..

Blah Blah Blah kobe... Talking is easy...It would have to take a whole lot to sprint at the speed of this Western Conf tougher than tough rate...A whole lot that what few players imagine..... I admire Kobe's enthus and I can
Understand how Naturally any team as big as the Lakers with such expectations from signing such two good players as Howard and Nash at the memorial of their past owner would get such an EMOTIONAL outburst....

This will all die down back after few games....as the real lakers come back to reality and realize after all how much they suck again...

JWest 02-23-13 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spurscrazed (Post 1292802)
....as the real lakers come back to reality and rkqealize after all how much they suck again...

You are a wise man.

:applause

The Lakers suck.

SleepyAdamII 02-23-13 03:01 PM

I can see them making the playoffs. for the mere fact that the bottom three teams can fall off the wagon for a week and allow the Lakers to hobble into the playoffs.

Guille 02-23-13 05:12 PM

Interesting thing is, though, a few months back, the Lakers as champs was a "done deal", and now they are at most guaranteeing making the playoffs... even if they make it, a one and out is where they are headed, and that would be hilarious too.

clovisnmspurfan 02-23-13 06:31 PM

As Bowen used to say "It is what it is"

Spurd_On 02-26-13 12:32 AM

The Lakers continue to try to get to the 8th seed playing an 8 man rotation. Why bother if that's what they have to do to get there? D'Antoni has his head up his #ss. His best players will be played out by then. It's not like it's a youthful squad.

clovisnmspurfan 02-26-13 11:35 AM

He has to play an 8 man roster, have you seen the players at the end of the bench?

WhiteChocolateJr 02-26-13 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan (Post 1292924)
He has to play an 8 man roster, have you seen the players at the end of the bench?

It's D'Antoni's "system" to play the top 7-8 guys, ride them hard into the playoffs...and then have them burned out when the REAL SEASON gets here. I get that the bench is lacking, but how can those scrubs develop if they never get any burn?

Spurd_On 03-05-13 10:29 PM

Oops. Looks like Kobe will be fulfilling that guarantee with one good elbow.