SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   Josh Smith Rumors (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/118676-josh-smith-rumors.html)

exit7 02-19-13 12:02 PM

Josh Smith Rumors

Ok so I have to admit initially I was pretty excited about Josh Smith rumors swirling around the Spurs. But something came to mind this morning that might have tempered it a little.

Take a trip with me back to the 2009 offseason. Bruce Bowen was with the team then, but he was getting older. So the Spurs traded a guy that was on the verge of retiring for an exciting relatively young guy in Richard Jefferson. He was athletic and everything the spurs didn't have in that type of player. 6' 7" 230 lbs and explosive to the rim. What followed in the next three years was the longest championship drought of Tim Duncan's career. I certainly don't blame it all on RJ but he never lived up to his reputation with us.

Consider this, RJ's numbers the season before he was traded:

19.6 PPG-- 4.2 RPG-- 3.1 APG

His first season with the Spurs:

9.2 PPG-- 3.5 RPG-- 1.3 APG

I think Josh Smith is better than RJ, but the problem I have is that I really thought RJ was going to be good with the spurs too when the trade happened. It really gets interesting when you look at Smith's stats this year so far:

17.4 PPG-- 8.6 RPG-- 4.1 APG

Comparable numbers to what Jefferson was doing with a middle of the road team in Milwaukee.

And now the rumors are that we might be trading a young up and coming Bruce Bowen? I don't think its happening, even if the Hawks will take Splitter instead of Kawhi. I just don't see the spurs making the same mistake twice.

Richard Jefferson 6' 7" 230 LBS
Josh Smith 6' 9" 225LBS

Just my two cents now that I've thought about it.

choppsboy 02-19-13 01:20 PM

Here is the latest from ESPN's rumor page on Josh Smith.

Latest Josh Smith chatter
February, 19, 2013
FEB 19
9:54
AM ET
By Nick Borges | ESPN.com
RECOMMEND2COMMENTS0EMAILPRINT
We are two days away from the NBA trade deadline and at this time it's looking like the Atlanta Hawks will move Josh Smith, according to ESPN.com's Marc Stein.

As of Tuesday morning there are five possible destinations for Smith.

Marc Stein
Hawks seem determined to deal Smith
"The Atlanta Hawks have convinced numerous teams that they're definitely trading Josh Smith this week, largely because they see the unpredictable lefty as a virtual lock to leave them in free agency this summer. So ... Destinations? One team close to the situation consulted Monday night predicted that the Nets would ultimately land Smith via a three-way trade ... Another team pinpointed the Phoenix Suns and Milwaukee Bucks as the strongest contenders to win the Smith sweepstakes. ... NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com on Monday that the Boston Celtics have, indeed, registered their interest on the Smith front, with the caveat that they also remain highly interested in the Clippers' Eric Bledsoe. Yet a Boston deal for Smith, sources said, would almost certainly have to be built around Paul Pierce,"

Chris Broussard
Wizards in the mix, too for Smith
"In talks with Atlanta for Smith Wizards have said all but 3 players are available: John Wall, Bradley Beal and NenĂª."

Vinnyistheman 02-19-13 03:59 PM

In Rebuttal, three words "Nazr Mohammed trade!"

What happen? Championship! and yes, that was a trade right before the trade deadline not the offseason.

exit7 02-19-13 04:25 PM

Ok so the spurs traded malik rose (bench player averaging 8pts and 3reb) for a starter averaging 10 and 8 at the time.

I tell you what, if you can work a trade that will send Dejuan Blair to the Hawks for Josh Smith straight up, then I'll be tickled pink. If you can do that you might want to send your resume to the spurs front office as well.