SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   Smith To Spurs Rumors Won't Die (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/118671-smith-spurs-rumors-wont-die.html)

Jose_TheGenius 02-17-13 02:09 PM

Smith To Spurs Rumors Won't Die

It appears San Antonio could be the potential landing spot for Josh Smith, according to Sam Amico via Fox Sports Ohio.

Click HERE to read the article

spurduncan21 02-17-13 02:13 PM

Yea just saw this on project spurs. As doubful anything will come out of this trade rumor, I hope it does get sealed. Replacing SJAX (who has not provided much since OKC series and is injured) along with Splitter for Josh Smith would certainly make us better instantly. I trust Pop and Co to keep him in check and limit his 3pt FGA. Although I think AJ would be better the option, it seems the Jazz prefer to keep him over Millsap. Go Spurs Go and not much more time until the deadline

Jose_TheGenius 02-17-13 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spurduncan21 (Post 1292467)
Yea just saw this on project spurs. As doubful anything will come out of this trade rumor, I hope it does get sealed. Replacing SJAX (who has not provided much since OKC series and is injured) along with Splitter for Josh Smith would certainly make us better instantly. I trust Pop and Co to keep him in check and limit his 3pt FGA. Although I think AJ would be better the option, it seems the Jazz prefer to keep him over Millsap. Go Spurs Go and not much more time until the deadline

i think that's what entices the Spurs to want to trade for him. Duncan's perimeter shooting is going to open up the basket for Smith to either post up, pick and roll with TP (if he can), or create his own shot.

spurduncan21 02-17-13 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius (Post 1292469)
i think that's what entices the Spurs to want to trade for him. Duncan's perimeter shooting is going to open up the basket for Smith to either post up, pick and roll with TP (if he can), or create his own shot.

If they can limit those hail mary 3's he loves to shoot so much, I think he's a keeper especially with Manu taking a pay cut next season and losing SJAX $10M salary, we should be able to afford him at a little less than a max deal. Especially if he can win a title and be a true perennial contender for the championship which assuredly he would be a part of if the switch is made.

choppsboy 02-17-13 02:37 PM

I may be wrong, but I just don't see us trading Splitter away for this deal. It seems too risky, and I don't know why Atlanta would want a Center.

What would happen if Smith got a Max offer from some stupid team? We would be without Smith AND Splitter.

It would make much more sense to me if Diaw, Blair, or someone else were in the deal than Splitter.

Jose_TheGenius 02-17-13 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choppsboy (Post 1292472)
I may be wrong, but I just don't see us trading Splitter away for this deal. It seems too risky, and I don't know why Atlanta would want a Center.

What would happen if Smith got a Max offer from some stupid team? We would be without Smith AND Splitter.

It would make much more sense to me if Diaw, Blair, or someone else were in the deal than Splitter.

it'd make sense as a Spurs fan, but from the Hawks' perspective it's a horrid deal. Blair and Diaw (Blair is a FA, Diaw has an option) could leave and put them in the same situation. Horford can play PF/C as can Tiago (i would guess since he's only really been a C here).

being realistic, we could lose Smith if a team offers him a boatload of money but we can lose Tiago if he gets around $9+ million offered to him by another team too. common sense would say that a "system player" isn't worth more than the MLE and that's exactly what Tiago is although he would deserve $6-8 million if he wanted it.

there's no big picture here though. if the Spurs want to do a trade, it's because they want to win a ring right now for Duncan and leaving the future up in the air. if we keep Splitter, it's because the Spurs believe he gives us the best chance to win this year. either way, there's no "bigger picture" look at it from any standpoint.

MRJONESIII 02-17-13 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choppsboy (Post 1292472)

Because Al Horford is a power forward and has been playing out of position all his career.

Kager 02-17-13 05:04 PM

"Written by Jose Grijalva on Sunday, 17 February 2013 13:58"

This maybe old news or completely off but did you link to your own article on Project Spurs there Jose?

It says the same things about Splitter you usually say.... again if this is old news welcome me to the party as you also said you are not faceless on the web!

BTW if it is the case you do have some more cudos for being on Project Spurs as you guys do put out good material I always go there to get good Spurs info... I still think you are wrong about Splitter :)

td4mvp2k 02-17-13 05:17 PM

Quote:

jojo707 - He is too dumb to fit in SA. He can't shoot, plays defense life J Mcgee, not much of a rotator. We would also have him for 1/3 or a year and then have lost several good players. We can't afford to re-sign him. Manu's contract is a hold for Lux tax purposes, so if we only want to try to win it all this year, this is stupid.

Smith To Spurs Rumors won't die

^

td4mvp2k 02-17-13 06:03 PM

Quote:

Sam Amico @SamAmicoFSO - At any rate, Josh Smith to Spurs is an absolute wild guess. Why am I defending a move that probably won't be made? #icurseyoutwitter

https://mobile.twitter.com/SamAmicoFSO#!/SamAmicoFSO

^

MichaelWi101 02-17-13 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kager (Post 1292479)
"Written by Jose Grijalva on Sunday, 17 February 2013 13:58"

This maybe old news or completely off but did you link to your own article on Project Spurs there Jose?

My hat is off to Jose, he's figured out a way to drive traffic to his site, :applause I have a couple of news sites (non-sports or spurs related) and I never thought to join a forum and post my own articles there....

Spurd_On 02-17-13 10:30 PM

Apparently they won't somehow die on this forum just yet anyway.