News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-13, 08:45 PM

Bonner changed his release and did fantastic!

there, i'm proud of the guy. i'm glad he didn't statue it up and used his legs more. he honestly changed his motion/technique and that got him 19 points in the first round!
Old 02-16-13, 09:02 PM

he lost his legs in the second round, not enough jump as before. still, a solid performance!
Old 02-16-13, 09:06 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

There was a second when I thought he could have won it . 1st Spur to win the 3pt shoot out?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-16-13, 09:12 PM
The Master Baiter

Come on Jose. He didn't change anything. Why would he? Quit trying to save face and admit you were wrong about him embarrassing himself.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-16-13, 09:23 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Bonner represented very well.

Better than TP anyway. Hopefully TP makes up for it tomorrow.
Old 02-16-13, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
Come on Jose. He didn't change anything. Why would he? Quit trying to save face and admit you were wrong about him embarrassing himself.
do we really have to go through this again?

if anything, the guy used more leg in one shot than he has in his whole tenure as a Spur. he released higher too and didn't statue it up out there. he changed his shot and i did admit i was wrong that he didn't embarrass himself on other SpursReport places. i knew he wouldn't embarrass himself if he changed his shot, i just didn't think he was going to. maybe Luke Bonner (who helped him practice the whole time) told him to change just about his whole stance/motion/release.

we need this shot motion in the playoffs for him, no way a PG can block it if he keeps it up now.
Old 02-16-13, 10:01 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post

if anything, the guy used more leg in one shot than he has in his whole tenure as a Spur. he released higher too and didn't statue it up out there. he changed his shot and i did admit i was wrong that he didn't embarrass himself on other SpursReport places. i knew he wouldn't embarrass himself if he changed his shot, i just didn't think he was going to. maybe Luke Bonner (who helped him practice the whole time) told him to change just about his whole stance/motion/release.

we need this shot motion in the playoffs for him, no way a PG can block it if he keeps it up now.
Yeah playoffs! I hope we don't see him that much in the playoffs Jose, we go through this every year and say what if about the playoffs for him. I hope others get more mins.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 02-16-13, 10:05 PM
Administrator

See what Matt Bonner had to say after his second-place showing in the Three Point Shootout. Matt Bonner - Three Point Contest | THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE SAN ANTONIO SPURS
Old 02-16-13, 10:27 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:

. His shot didn't change. There's nothing to go through again. If he would have changed his technique he WOULD have embarrassed himself. You can't just change a motion you've been doing for most of your life and do as well as he did. Give it up.
Old 02-17-13, 12:34 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I seem to remember an article earlier in the year that said that Bonner was working with the coaches to change his 3pt shot. They wanted him to get his shot up faster with a higher release point.
Old 02-17-13, 02:51 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

Bonner was superb and I think hit more baskets in the finals - Irving hit more moneyballs and won.

Tony was great until he missed all 5 tries at the 3pointer from the top of the key??
Old 02-17-13, 08:20 AM
SpursReport Team Member

CG 2 Bonner!
Old 02-17-13, 08:59 AM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

It's nice that he had the success he did, and I do wish he could shoot like then when the pressure is on in the playoffs and guys are running out at him and contesting his shot.

To say that these results show he's improved on his technique and that suddenly he's going to be a force in the playoffs because of this one outing, is as ridiculous as saying Tony's game has fallen apart because of his troubles in the skills competition.
Old 02-17-13, 09:51 AM

Quote:
. His shot didn't change. There's nothing to go through again. If he would have changed his technique he WOULD have embarrassed himself. You can't just change a motion you've been doing for most of your life and do as well as he did. Give it up.
because he didn't jump off the floor this time around? you know when he ran out of gas, it wasn't because his arm was too tired, it was because he lost his legs. in the last rack, he went to his old motion of one arming it without lift because he knew he lost, other than that he jumped off the floor higher than usual. please show where he wasn't set up on a consistent basis to throw a shot up and showed lift? hell if you actually saw the 3-Point Contest or see Bonner before this, he didn't release the shot right on his face like he usually does.

no?

thought so
Old 02-17-13, 12:16 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

He didn't change his shot Jose. It is your imagination.

No one changes their shot and makes that many.

It may have looked different because he isn't playing in a real basketball game, but he didn't change his shot.

give it up.

dude did well.
Old 02-17-13, 01:55 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Bonner 4 ever!
Old 02-17-13, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
He didn't change his shot Jose. It is your imagination.

No one changes their shot and makes that many.

It may have looked different because he isn't playing in a real basketball game, but he didn't change his shot.

give it up.

dude did well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwblNgljKcw

because he shot those one handers last night?

yes i'm admitting he did well, he wasn't a statue last night. i'll give him the props he deserves, but to say the dude went along on his old form is insane. call me a hater if you want, but teaching guys how to shoot makes you realize the little tweaks anyone does. he changed his release and at one point used a traditional two hand release except on the last rack where he knew he was done.
Old 02-17-13, 03:18 PM
SR Team Goof

Change or not, the last 4-5 home games I attended prior to the All Star game, Bonner seemed to be the last Spur on the court after shoot around and he was nailing the 3 pointers, with instruction from Engelland. Normally, a score of 20 would pretty much nail down a 3 point shooting victory but I guess it was Irving's night to shine. The Red Mamba did himself proud last night with a good showing.
Old 02-17-13, 04:39 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwblNgljKcw

because he shot those one handers last night?

yes i'm admitting he did well, he wasn't a statue last night. i'll give him the props he deserves, but to say the dude went along on his old form is insane. call me a hater if you want, but teaching guys how to shoot makes you realize the little tweaks anyone does. he changed his release and at one point used a traditional two hand release except on the last rack where he knew he was done.
Dude, you're crazy. No difference. Fast forward to 2 minute mark. Compare the two videos. If anything, his release was higher in your video, but I think it's all just camera angles. Again, he would have been crazy to change anything for this competition. I know you don't want to be completely wrong, but you were. I'm about to call you WILLTHETHRILL.

Old 02-17-13, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Dude, you're crazy. No difference. Fast forward to 2 minute mark. Compare the two videos. If anything, his release was higher in your video, but I think it's all just camera angles. Again, he would have been crazy to change anything for this competition. I know you don't want to be completely wrong, but you were. I'm about to call you WILLTHETHRILL.

i've posted vids in the other one, you know where he doesn't jump and just pops it with pure arm. i said the guy would embarrass himself if he used a motion without legs and pure arm where he has to be completely set (go to the other thread please) and he didn't. the release may look higher in the other one but that's because he goes from low to high on the motion to release in front of his face over this new one where he's jumping, holding it high, and releasing.

was i wrong about embarrassing himself? yes. is he shooting the same way he used to last season? no. dude hasn't gotten consistent minutes to be watching his complete motion this season unless it's in a blowout, hell Blair has gotten more minutes this stretch.

i'll admit i'm wrong where i'm wrong. keep being a Matt Bonner mark if you wish, i'm not saying i'm completely wrong when i wasn't. this year's motion wouldn't get him blocked in the playoffs and i'm sure he'll shoot better in the playoffs (if he even plays) than years past. if you'd even coach 5 year olds, you'd know why Bonner couldn't get a shot off in the playoffs and why he'd get a shot off with last night's technique.
Old 02-17-13, 05:13 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

It is clear that he changed his shot only on the ones he made, and he reverted back to his crap form on his misses.

Back and forth between the two stiles he went. If only he had stuck with the new form he developed just for the 3 point contest.
Old 02-18-13, 02:11 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan View Post
Bonner 4 ever!
Forever second.........
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 02-18-13, 02:15 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
Change or not, the last 4-5 home games I attended prior to the All Star game, Bonner seemed to be the last Spur on the court after shoot around and he was nailing the 3 pointers, with instruction from Engelland. Normally, a score of 20 would pretty much nail down a 3 point shooting victory but I guess it was Irving's night to shine. The Red Mamba did himself proud last night with a good showing.
Yep a good showing and went further than I thought he would no doubt! Whats funny is his good showings always get trumped! His best playoff game when he hit three in a row against Memphis we lost (Hero style lol)! It seems when he does well we or he even loses. It is like he is just flat out cursed to be honest, good or BAD he just loses

Last edited by Rzarector7; 02-18-13 at 02:18 AM.
Old 02-18-13, 11:35 AM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
i've posted vids in the other one, you know where he doesn't jump and just pops it with pure arm. i said the guy would embarrass himself if he used a motion without legs and pure arm where he has to be completely set (go to the other thread please) and he didn't. the release may look higher in the other one but that's because he goes from low to high on the motion to release in front of his face over this new one where he's jumping, holding it high, and releasing.

was i wrong about embarrassing himself? yes. is he shooting the same way he used to last season? no. dude hasn't gotten consistent minutes to be watching his complete motion this season unless it's in a blowout, hell Blair has gotten more minutes this stretch.

i'll admit i'm wrong where i'm wrong. keep being a Matt Bonner mark if you wish, i'm not saying i'm completely wrong when i wasn't. this year's motion wouldn't get him blocked in the playoffs and i'm sure he'll shoot better in the playoffs (if he even plays) than years past. if you'd even coach 5 year olds, you'd know why Bonner couldn't get a shot off in the playoffs and why he'd get a shot off with last night's technique.
He clearly uses his legs all the time. He's not shooting free throws from the 3 point line. And you've been basing your argument on his shooting form from this season, and now suddenly it's been different this whole time? I would think you would have said something about his shooting form changing for the better before the All Star break. He's played in enough games to see. I've only missed maybe a total of 10 games the last 15 years. I know what his shot looks like. And it hasn't changed.

Look, you take full credit when you are right about something, take full accountability when you are wrong. Don't make up things to only be half wrong.
Old 02-18-13, 12:09 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:

Leave me out of this one UWE BLOB. Trade Bonner!
Old 02-18-13, 12:35 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Well it's great to know Bonner can hit three's in a stupid 3 pt contest... Come playoffs, he won't be able to hit the ocean.