SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   Latest on Josh Smith To Spurs Trade Rumor (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/118664-latest-josh-smith-spurs-trade-rumor.html)

SilverSpur 02-16-13 02:11 AM

Latest on Josh Smith To Spurs Trade Rumor

In spite of his phenomenal statistical output, we would be lying if we said we didn't see this coming.

Trade rumors have been swirling about Smith, with every whisper leading to growing speculation that he would be dealt. A major reason for this belief is Smith's status as a fringe star.

Click Here to read the entire article

Kager 02-16-13 05:21 AM

No I am not happy to part with Leonard, trade upside for the back end of not much better

Spurd_On 02-16-13 10:08 AM

Every front office is interested in every player. For the teams positioning themselves for the playoffs, they will be stealth as to their intentions. The rumors surfacing to date are just pipe dreams of outsiders. Starting Monday, the intentions of teams intending to attempt trades will begin to become less stealth as occasional actual correspondence is leaked in the frenzy and most of that will still just be the noise of outsiders. Then there is always the possibility that no trades occur that can impact the playoffs.

Hurin 02-16-13 10:10 AM

i dont think josh smith help us that much on the playoffs. Especially if we give up leonard. I like smith a lot, and he is great player, i dont think his skill set will help us that much. He cant really shoot, and he shoots a lot. On the other hand he is a good help defender and rebounder, wich i like a lot. I could give up tiago for him, maybe, but not leonard.

alh1020 02-16-13 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSpur (Post 1292407)
......His statistics suggest he's a world-class player, but ..........

Interesting choice of words 'suggest'. He's inconsistent and he's star quality in his own mind. Max salary ---- nope, not here. And Leonard in any trade equation is unacceptable. Pop wouldn't gut the Spurs future in that way. Pass on this idea. But I would be interested in where Maxwell Ogden (author of this story) gets his smokes from. :D

mckennaspur1 02-16-13 11:18 AM

Danny Ferry wins Exec of the Year if he turns Josh Smith (a legend in his own mind) whom Ferry can't re-sign into Kawhi (rookie contract with uncharted up-side).

If I'm the Spurs, I offer Neal and SJax and maybe add a pick to sweeten the pot. Smith wants max money, and he won't get in SA. He's a rental.

Vinnyistheman 02-16-13 12:53 PM

Ferry,the Spurs Front Office, and every Spurs Fan knows that Kawhi is not on the table! The Spurs have other assets that are on the table and those assets are more vauleable than Nets, Mavs, and Phoenix assets. Pointless article! If the Spurs Front Office trades Jackson his contract would be bought out and he would rejoin the Spurs in thirty days.

MRJONESIII 02-16-13 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinnyistheman (Post 1292420)
Ferry,the Spurs Front Office, and every Spurs Fan knows that Kawhi is not on the table! The Spurs have other assets that are on the table and those assets are more vauleable than Nets, Mavs, and Phoenix assets. Pointless article! If the Spurs Front Office trades Jackson his contract would be bought out and he would rejoin the Spurs in thirty days.

I don't believe Jackson would want to come back. Plus, doesn't he go up for auction or is that just a amnesty player?

Jose_TheGenius 02-16-13 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRJONESIII (Post 1292422)
I don't believe Jackson would want to come back. Plus, doesn't he go up for auction or is that just a amnesty player?

he kept saying he wanted to come back (at least what he apparently told Duncan). i think he returns, especially since he'll be a minimum player next year imo.

btw:

nooooooooooooooooooooo to Leonard in a trade, that's insane. no way we trade our best defender and scorer (outside the Big 3) for Josh Smith.

i'm all up for a Smith to Spurs trade but it has to involve Tiago, not Kawhi. Spurs wouldn't be stupid enough to trade Leonard.

californiaSPUR 02-16-13 09:06 PM

If i were atlanta and Leonard is off limits then i am taking Splitter, Joseph and draft rights to euro player.

Jose_TheGenius 02-16-13 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by californiaSPUR (Post 1292431)
If i were atlanta and Leonard is off limits then i am taking Splitter, Joseph and draft rights to euro player.

you're about $10 million short of making that work

choppsboy 02-16-13 10:25 PM

Why would we trade Splitter for a rental player?

We are not trading Splitter for Josh Smith. Splitter is the only Center on our roster.

We aren't trading Splitter for anyone.

Jose_TheGenius 02-16-13 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choppsboy (Post 1292438)
Why would we trade Splitter for a rental player?

We are not trading Splitter for Josh Smith. Splitter is the only Center on our roster.

We aren't trading Splitter for anyone.

it'd be rental for rental in a sense. Splitter is not guaranteed to return, especially if the Spurs have to match a ridiculous offer for him. paying Josh Smith around $13-15 million would be better than paying Splitter $8-11 million a year

MRJONESIII 02-16-13 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius (Post 1292441)
it'd be rental for rental in a sense. Splitter is not guaranteed to return, especially if the Spurs have to match a ridiculous offer for him. paying Josh Smith around $13-15 million would be better than paying Splitter $8-11 million a year

Most definitely. What folks don't realize is Josh is borderline a superstar. He just needs the right surroundings, coach and system. We as a nation... Spurs nation usually never get a chance at a guy like Josh, it's always LA,NY,MIA, CHI, BOS...let alone have any rumors pertaining to a star. But other than Tiago is a center, he couldn't hold a candle to Smiths' great potential... Defensively and offensively. I think Josh can set a pick? I know he can jump just a little bit. His mobility is off the charts, and has more than just a little lazy, flat jump hook. So if the spurs system can do the things it does for Tiago, than I would bet Josh would be just a touch better. Like you said, the dollar difference between them I think would be justified. Question... You overpay Tiago or Smith?

exit7 02-18-13 02:24 PM

Mr jones you are a wise person...

Also think about this, you trade splitter for smith then you can put smith on durant, and use kawhi on Westbrook. I get giddy when I think about a lineup with tony, Manu, Timmy, smith and Leonard.

MRJONESIII 02-18-13 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit7 (Post 1292496)
Mr jones you are a wise person...

Also think about this, you trade splitter for smith then you can put smith on durant, and use kawhi on Westbrook. I get giddy when I think about a lineup with tony, Manu, Timmy, smith and Leonard.

Glad someone else is onboard with the possibility. Just imagine the sick line up when all healthy....TP,Manu,Kawhi, JSmoove and TD. Smith on weakside blocks, Tony and Manu reaking havoc in the lane. Suffocating defense, fast break entertainment like we only see with Miami. The options are endless! But all ifs. Josh had to be the man in Atlanta, do things on his own. Many different coaches and schemes. Never has he played with an elite pg, willing passing guy like Manu and a whole team. Yet look at his numbers! What would they be like with about 6-7 easy buckets a night? His ability to roam and block shots ala Ibaka. Now he doesn't have to force the issue, the Spurs will spoon feed his talents. Pop and Duncan will transform those talents into something even more special! And giddy is a great word.... I can only dream.

choppsboy 02-18-13 03:49 PM

Can Smith integrate. . . . rotate. . . . . understand his role in the system. . . . . and do so in a way that makes him more effective than Tiago by the time the playoffs come around?

My only concern.

MRJONESIII 02-18-13 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choppsboy (Post 1292499)
Can Smith integrate. . . . rotate. . . . . understand his role in the system. . . . . and do so in a way that makes him more effective than Tiago by the time the playoffs come around?

My only concern.

Well, in about 58 1/2 hours... We'll either have to worry or not. But history tells us, Spurs will stand pat.

Uwe Blab 02-18-13 05:00 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if Atlanta took Jackson and some other plus a pick for Josh Smith. They are just trying to get rid of him and rebuild. Smith could be their Ibaka and also guard the Lebron. It's a win-win. But I think they still need Splitter if they get Smith.

spurs_believer 02-18-13 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uwe Blab (Post 1292501)
I wouldn't be surprised if Atlanta took Jackson and some other plus a pick for Josh Smith.

I'd be very surprised if they take such a bait given other teams can offer picks guaranteed to be higher (just look at Spurs' record).

MRJONESIII 02-18-13 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spurs_believer (Post 1292503)
I'd be very surprised if they take such a bait given other teams can offer picks guaranteed to be higher (just look at Spurs' record).

2 words.... Danny Ferry.

spurs_believer 02-18-13 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRJONESIII (Post 1292505)
2 words.... Danny Ferry.

Well, last time I checked, he's not working for a charity, ex-Spurs staff or not. :)

He was with Cleveland for a decade and how many freebies did we get from him?

MRJONESIII 02-18-13 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spurs_believer (Post 1292506)
Well, last time I checked, he's not working for a charity, ex-Spurs staff or not. :)

He was with Cleveland for a decade and how many freebies did we get from him?

Hey, aren't you supposed to be a believer? Come on, we need positive thoughts friend! It's our time to get a cheap trade...Laker style.

spurs_believer 02-18-13 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRJONESIII (Post 1292507)
Hey, aren't you supposed to be a believer? Come on, we need positive thoughts friend! It's our time to get a cheap trade...Laker style.

I do hope the deal (without Splitter) falls through. It'd be awesome even as a rental deal. If Spurs can then mess the upgraded roster in time for playoffs #5 here we come!

However, I also need to be realistic. Hey, someone has to rain on the parade. :smirk

JuanCaca 02-18-13 08:50 PM

defensive lineup: mills (or de colo or manu or tony) green leonard smith duncan... im salivating already lolol

MRJONESIII 02-18-13 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spurs_believer (Post 1292509)
I do hope the deal (without Splitter) falls through. It'd be awesome even as a rental deal. If Spurs can then mess the upgraded roster in time for playoffs #5 here we come!

However, I also need to be realistic. Hey, someone has to rain on the parade. :smirk

I know, but I don't like rain. This would just be great... You know, stick it to Mr. Stern! We just have to get him here and convince him to sign for a little less than the max, continue to build and win like the Spurs have been doing for so long. Unlike Atlanta, our goal is and always will be championships! And yes I'd like to keep Tiago to, but we can be greedy... Haha!

Vinnyistheman 02-18-13 09:07 PM

20 games straight last year, the best they have ever looked and still lost because the Spurs got beat by players that were more athletic......the Spurs need a player like Josh Smith! It's not guarantee for number 5 but he can guard the Paint, Durant, and Lebron with the Best and if cost us Spittler to get him, the Spurs should be game! I will tell you one thing, if the Spurs are able to wrangler Smith from the Hawks, Spurs have a better chance of signing Smith than keeping Spitter......Look at Hoston's 2012 offseason! The blueprint has been written "how to steal a restricted free agent!", on the other hand the Spurs could offer Smith one more year and the most money if they are able to obtain him before Thursday deadline.

MRJONESIII 02-18-13 09:26 PM

Didn't Danny Ferry give Joe Johnson to the Nets when Avery Johnson was there?

Vinnyistheman 02-18-13 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRJONESIII (Post 1292513)
Didn't Danny Ferry give Joe Johnson to the Nets when Avery Johnson was there?

Big Difference, the Net's Owner has a big, big, big pocket book and can take on the worst contract in basketball....after this year Joe Johnson still has 83 million on the books.....Still cannot believe Ferry pull off that magic trick!

MRJONESIII 02-18-13 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinnyistheman (Post 1292514)
Big Difference, the Net's Owner has a big, big, big pocket book and can take on the worst contract in basketball....after this year Joe Johnson still has 83 million on the books.....Still cannot believe Ferry pull off that magic trick!

OK. Just curious, cause I couldn't remember if Avery was there. Still, another Spurs affiliate and Josh doesn't make as much as Johnson did. Plus the Spurs can afford him, it's just the matter of how much will they have to give up that won't jeopardize the season and more to come.

Jose_TheGenius 02-19-13 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choppsboy (Post 1292499)

My only concern.

rotating shouldn't be too much of a concern. we've always had a new player in the starting lineup being backed up by the rest. the only time we ran into the rotation problem was when Bogans/RJ/Dice started in their first years with the team.

with Smith, it could basically be a Nazr type situation where he was traded for and learned on the go with the help of the rest of the team.

KAD 02-19-13 08:33 AM

I don't see him coming here!

Eddy from Austin 02-19-13 11:09 AM

Josh Smith 9 year career is on its way down, he peaked last year. While Leonard's and Splitter's are on their way up. I say, no thanks.

Chago 02-19-13 12:54 PM

Not gonna happen.

choppsboy 02-19-13 02:22 PM

Latest ESPN Rumors on Josh Smith.

Latest Josh Smith chatter
February, 19, 2013
FEB 19
9:54
AM ET
By Nick Borges | ESPN.com
RECOMMEND2COMMENTS0EMAILPRINT
We are two days away from the NBA trade deadline and at this time it's looking like the Atlanta Hawks will move Josh Smith, according to ESPN.com's Marc Stein.

As of Tuesday morning there are five possible destinations for Smith.

Marc Stein
Hawks seem determined to deal Smith
"The Atlanta Hawks have convinced numerous teams that they're definitely trading Josh Smith this week, largely because they see the unpredictable lefty as a virtual lock to leave them in free agency this summer. So ... Destinations? One team close to the situation consulted Monday night predicted that the Nets would ultimately land Smith via a three-way trade ... Another team pinpointed the Phoenix Suns and Milwaukee Bucks as the strongest contenders to win the Smith sweepstakes. ... NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com on Monday that the Boston Celtics have, indeed, registered their interest on the Smith front, with the caveat that they also remain highly interested in the Clippers' Eric Bledsoe. Yet a Boston deal for Smith, sources said, would almost certainly have to be built around Paul Pierce,"

Chris Broussard
Wizards in the mix, too for Smith
"In talks with Atlanta for Smith Wizards have said all but 3 players are available: John Wall, Bradley Beal and NenĂª."

b1gdon 02-19-13 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddy from Austin (Post 1292530)
Josh Smith 9 year career is on its way down, he peaked last year. While Leonard's and Splitter's are on their way up. I say, no thanks.

Agree on Leonard, disagree on Splitter. He is going to be 29 next year. I don't think Splitter will be getting much better.

katyspursfan 02-19-13 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b1gdon (Post 1292547)
Agree on Leonard, disagree on Splitter. He is going to be 29 next year. I don't think Splitter will be getting much better.

Probably not much better, but could have more than a few years at current or slightly higher productivity.
Another of those big men who never relied on athleticism. He should last a long time.

Work real good, last long time.