News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-13, 05:33 PM

Leonard Showing Why He's Perfect For Spurs

When the San Antonio Spurs drafted Kawhi Leonard, it was to fill a need that was lost with Bruce Bowen's retirement. The team was desperately needing a versatile defensive stopper, something backup George Hill wasn't capable.

Hill was a shooting guard who was learning how to be a point guard and had long arms to guard the two guard, but he didn't have the mentality to be a defensive first player.

Click HERE to read the entire article
Old 02-14-13, 06:10 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
Hill was a shooting guard who was learning how to be a point guard and had long arms to guard the two guard, but he didn't have the mentality to be a defensive first player.
BS! He was 1 of the best D-players on the team and you should know that! I dont know why your doing him like that...

Last edited by td4mvp2k; 02-14-13 at 06:15 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-14-13, 07:15 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I can't say I disagree with Jose. George hill wasn't necessarily bad on defense, but I don't think he was that great either... One of the best defenders on spurs during that span wasn't really a accomplishment IMO.
Old 02-14-13, 07:55 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyDthaWay2B View Post
George hill wasn't necessarily bad on defense, but I don't think he was that great either... One of the best defenders on spurs during that span wasn't really a accomplishment IMO.
Other then Manu Hill was the best defender at guard when with the Spurs. Do you see the Spurs? cuz if you do then you would know that you dont play if you dont play D and during that "span" they were 1 of the best D teams in the NBA so it was an "accomplishment" IMO!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-14-13, 09:03 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Actually, in the span that Hill was with our team we were not one of the best defensive teams in the NBA. The 08/09, 09/10 and 10/11 seasons saw the highest points per game totals our team has allowed since Duncan became a Spur.
Now, this is not to suggest that this is Hills fault, but one must consider his contributions to a steadily declining defense. I do agree that during that span he was one of our best defensive players. Which is to further emphasize the fact that we were not a great defensive team. Hill had a lot of potential in my opinion, and certainly showed flashes of the ability to be a great defender. (ill always be proud of the way he got in Kobe's face when they played the lakers)

That being said, I am a huge fan of Leonard and think he is a huge part of the spurs staying relevant in the post duncanobili era.
Old 02-14-13, 10:06 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InegoMontoya View Post
Actually, in the span that Hill was with our team we were not one of the best defensive teams in the NBA. The 08/09, 09/10 and 10/11 seasons saw the highest points per game totals our team has allowed since Duncan became a Spur.
In Hills span they werent one of the best defensive teams in the NBA? In 09 and 10 they were in the big 10 in % and pts on D in the NBA so how were they not? In 11 they were avg on D but they were also playing alot more small and won the West so the D was good enuff. IDC how the D is since TD became a Spur cuz thats not what this is about.
Old 02-15-13, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by td4mvp2k View Post
BS! He was 1 of the best D-players on the team and you should know that! I dont know why your doing him like that...
ok who did he shut down? wagging his finger at Kobe Bryant isn't defense. he got burned by Nash in the playoffs.

the only time he's played great defense against a great player was Chris Paul in preseason when he was a rookie, that was it. other than that, he wasn't good and didn't use his arms.

before you go with "BS!", let's hear some reasons why i'm wrong over that.

btw team stats don't support Hill's individual defense. one guy can be a bad defensive player and have good defensive help around him (i.e. Michael Finley, Roger Mason, Brent Barry) and it wouldn't show in team stats.
Old 02-15-13, 01:34 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
before you go with "BS!", let's hear some reasons why i'm wrong over that.
You want me to give you reasons for your BS? I shouldnt have to if your a fan and youve seen any games of him with the Spurs then you would know... that your wrong! Here is Pop calling Hill "a tenacious defender" when drafted BEFORE he came out... YouTube Nuff Said!
Old 02-15-13, 05:55 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Other then Manu Hill was the best defender at guard when with the Spurs. Do you see the Spurs? cuz if you do then you would know that you dont play if you dont play D and during that "span" they were 1 of the best D teams in the NBA so it was an "accomplishment" IMO!

Of course I watch the spurs.... But they were really bad on d for a stretch of years there....may have been before hill IDK.... Pretty much blocked it out... But i HAVE watched hill many and think you are overstating his importance on the defensive side ... He wasn't bad... But he wasn't a game changer or even close ... Btw.... Players that didn't play defense actually did get floor time.... Can you say MATT BONNER. OR EVEN ROGER MASON. Nice use of quotations btw...it really helped you get your point across LOL...
Old 02-15-13, 05:59 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
You want me to give you reasons for your BS? I shouldnt have to if your a fan and youve seen any games of him with the Spurs then you would know... that your wrong! Here is Pop calling Hill "a tenacious defender" when drafted BEFORE he came out... YouTube Nuff Said!
so, you pull a video of pop saying hill was a tenacious defender before he even play a second of nba basketball? Who wouldn't be a tenacious defender at IUPUI... You really showed Jose. In the words of keyshawn.. Come on maaan...
Old 02-15-13, 07:42 AM

Quote:

i needed a laugh.

Roger Mason was a great PG for the Spurs. if you don't believe me, you never watched games before./sarcasm

by the way, riddle me this:

if Hill was SUCH A TENACIOUS DEFENDER, why did we trade him on draft day for a.....tenacious defender?

Quote:
so, you pull a video of pop saying hill was a tenacious defender before he even play a second of nba basketball? Who wouldn't be a tenacious defender at IUPUI... You really showed Jose. In the words of keyshawn.. Come on maaan...
defensive stopper at Ewey-Pooey! i think Kwame Brown was considered a good defender before the NBA too right?
Old 02-15-13, 08:08 AM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

hmmm, I don't know what to think of this...the 3 years we had GHill, the Spurs were a "decent" defensive team (top 10-15). I think we are just so used to them being top 5 D team the mediocrity was unheard of lol. Anyways, I'd agrue that Hill was our best individual defender not named Timmy during his span as a Spurs. Does that mean he was great on D? No, he was good but not great. Kawhi is great

Last edited by esparzar1; 02-15-13 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-15-13, 08:23 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
I can't say I disagree with Jose. George hill wasn't necessarily bad on defense, but I don't think he was that great either... One of the best defenders on spurs during that span wasn't really a accomplishment IMO.
Quote:
Of course I watch the spurs.... But they were really bad on d for a stretch of years there....may have been before hill IDK.... Pretty much blocked it out... Btw.... Players that didn't play defense actually did get floor time.... Can you say MATT BONNER. OR EVEN ROGER MASON. Nice use of quotations btw...it really helped you get your point across LOL...
Good of you to get my point across with your "quotations"!

Quote:
Who wouldnt? Not you! Thats all I have to show and good of you again to get my point across... "Come on maaan" is nuff said...

Last edited by td4mvp2k; 02-15-13 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-15-13, 08:24 AM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

Oh, BTW good article Jose....you forgot to mention one stat....Kawhi is shooting 84% from the FT line which is tops on the Spurs team
Old 02-15-13, 08:38 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
if Hill was SUCH A TENACIOUS DEFENDER, why did we trade him on draft day for a.....tenacious defender?
He made my point!
Old 02-15-13, 10:35 AM

Quote:
He made my point!
um....no?

i asked if Hill was such a tenacious defender, why did we trade him for an actual tenacious defender in Kawhi?

it's ok to admit ur wrong, i do it when i'm wrong
Old 02-15-13, 11:04 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Quote:
He made my point!
Quote:
it's ok to admit ur wrong, i do it when i'm wrong
I can see that you do

Last edited by td4mvp2k; 02-15-13 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-15-13, 11:11 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

There is a big difference between saying someone is a good defender (which Hill was), and saying he is a lock down perimeter defender. Hill was NOT a lock down perimeter defender. Kawhi is/will be.
Old 02-15-13, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
There is a big difference between saying someone is a good defender (which Hill was), and saying he is a lock down perimeter defender. Hill was NOT a lock down perimeter defender. Kawhi is/will be.
+1

he's already close to Bowen's level and it took Bruce years to get there while Kawhi is in his 2nd year
Old 02-15-13, 08:56 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Good of you to get my point across with your "quotations"!

Who wouldnt? Not you! Thats all I have to show and good of you again to get my point across... "Come on maaan" is nuff said...
WTF are you even talking about.. This is the result of you no longer having an argument.
Old 02-15-13, 09:28 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
WTF are you even talking about..
Old 02-16-13, 01:52 AM
There is only 1 Ginobili!

I think the one thing that Kawhi has over Hill, assuming that they are the same kind of defender(THEY AREN'T) but let's say that they are. Hill simply cannot do what Kawhi does now, the same way Bruce did for the team all those ALL-NBA D Team years...Kawhi, unlike George, and like Bruce, can defend positions 1,2,3,4, and for a limited time, 5.

There is a huge difference when you're George Hill at 6'2 with long arms and around 190 pounds compared to Kawhi Leonard 6'7 with long arms and large hands and be around 225 pounds. Bruce Bowen played at 6'7 205.

That extra 5 inches and 20 pounds of muscle is something that GHill will never have...that's not BS.

Old 02-16-13, 02:23 AM

Kawhi Leonard: An Unassuming Star in the Making | HOOPSWORLD | Basketball News & NBA Rumors

Old 02-16-13, 02:33 AM

Longer Video-

It's the very end that I like:
Kawhi Leonard - Rising Stars Practice | video | THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE SAN ANTONIO SPURS

Old 02-17-13, 06:59 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Apparently you dont even know.... I've be rolling my eyes ever since you used that video of Pop as if it were some kind of proof that hill was a tenacious defender... Classic.
Old 02-17-13, 08:16 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Apparently you dont even know....

Quote:
I've be rolling my eyes ever since you used that video of Pop as if it were some kind of proof that hill was a tenacious defender...
Quote:
This is the result of you no longer having an argument
Quote:
Classic.

Last edited by td4mvp2k; 02-17-13 at 08:26 AM.