SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   Why Josh Smith makes no sense for Spurs (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/118644-why-josh-smith-makes-no-sense-spurs.html)

alh1020 02-13-13 03:02 PM

Why Josh Smith makes no sense for Spurs

By Jeff McDonald

CLEVELAND — The week or so leading up to the trade deadline is always an interesting time around the NBA. I’ve always believed it’s the one time of year the super plugged-in Internet fan is actually less informed than the casual fan.

There’s just too much white noise out there. Too much speculation. Much of it (most of it?) completely bogus.

And so we come to the “rumor” that the Spurs are looking to trade for Atlanta forward Josh Smith. In a power-rankings column yesterday, the great Marc Spears at Yahoo! Sports mentioned the Spurs as one of many teams expressing interest in Smith.

I have no doubt this is accurate, and not just because Spears knows his stuff (he does). Smith is a good player who is immediately available. Every contender should be “expressing interest.”

Link to the rest of the story: Spurs Nation

td4mvp2k 02-13-13 03:24 PM

Quote:

There’s just too much white noise out there. Too much speculation. Much of it (most of it?) completely bogus.

So, Mr. Super Plugged-In Internet Guy, the Josh Smith thing’s probably not going to happen. You can stop obsessing. And hitting refresh on the Twitter account every 15 seconds. Step away from the Trade Machine. Maybe take a break, go to a movie or something.

The white noise will still be here when you get back.

By Jeff McDonald
:lol :applause

Uwe Blab 02-13-13 03:24 PM

I'd say this one is less likely than the Jefferson trade, and that one's not likely either. Especially anything that involves shipping KY out of town.

alh1020 02-13-13 03:55 PM

I wish we could fast forward to February 21st, 3PM (ET) to see how all of this all pans out. The suspense is killing me.

choppsboy 02-13-13 04:09 PM

Is there any trade that makes sense to Jeff McDonald?

katyspursfan 02-13-13 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alh1020 (Post 1292254)
I wish we could fast forward to February 21st, 3PM (ET) to see how all of this all pans out. The suspense is killing me.

Man, the suspense is the best part!

You wake up in the morning, and check the feeds before you go to work (or at work). Nothing.
You take a quick peek to see if there were any trades at lunch. Never are.
You get home, check ESPN, SI and FoxSports. Nothing.
You log into SR to look for some intelligent thread about a trade. You realize that Will started them all. Nothing.

Assume nothing will happen. You will most likely be right. If something DOES happen, then you get a moment of shock. Like that Sunday before the season started when I found out Harden was a Rocket!

tl;dr?
Spurs will make no trade. I guarantee it, or triple your money back!

Jose_TheGenius 02-13-13 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choppsboy (Post 1292258)
Is there any trade that makes sense to Jeff McDonald?

the only part he makes sense with is the Kawhi part, everything else is just his bias opinion on not wanting a trade. the Spurs don't want to add more salary right now? we're going to be around $10 mill under the cap next season with non guaranteed deals. it absolutely makes sense for the Spurs to trade for a hybrid forward who's athletic, as much as he doesn't think so.

the speculation on the Kawhi part is just that on the website, but it would clearly have to be a Splitter going there to match the position they're giving up and probably looking to keep Splitter long term.

remember this is the guy who wrote a similar article with the same attitude on Baynes with the same attitude of "listen to me, he's not coming over anytime soon if at all this year" and Baynes arrived faster like everyone thought.

SilverSpur 02-13-13 06:18 PM

Let us not forget that Danny Ferry calls the shots in ATL.

:yikes

Jose_TheGenius 02-13-13 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSpur (Post 1292267)
Let us not forget that Danny Ferry calls the shots in ATL.

:yikes

McDonald thinks that's nonsense! it's like not Jerry West had something to do with Pau going to the Lakers!