SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   Is Stephen Jackson done? (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/118635-stephen-jackson-done.html)

b1gdon 02-12-13 11:36 PM

Is Stephen Jackson done?

I love Stephen Jackson, but let's be honest, he's turned into a liability on offense this season. He's only hit 1 3pt shot in the last seven games going 1-14 during that stretch and over the course of the year he's not been much better shooting 25% for the season. He's shooting much better on 2pts shots (.500) mostly by attacking the rim, but the majority of his offense is coming from that failing 3pt shot (116 3pt shots vs 108 2pt shots). I'm not sure what value Jackson adds to the team this year, especially if the Spurs are looking to swap him for a big man.

A few on this board would rather see Manu traded over Jackson. What exactly is it that Jackson brings to the table that would make him more valuable than a healthy Manu? If the Spurs trade for a big man, the bulk of the front court minutes would go to Leonard, Duncan, and 'Big man X'. The job of containing the two elite SFs standing in the way of a Spurs championship (Durant and Lebron) goes to Leonard and possibly 'Big Man X' if it happens to be a Josh Smith type 4. Leonard has really shown me in the last month and a half that he deserves those minutes with his efficient high level of play. I'll be honest, I was willing to let go of Leonard to try to bring in an elite front court player like Garnet, but with Leonard's great play and Jackson's miserable offensive performance I've had to re-evaluate that position.

So what is it with Stephen Jackson this year that makes you like him over Manu? I haven't seen him shut anyone down ala Bruce Bowen and his offensive game is in the toilet. His PER is a dismal 8.3. Now I take advanced stats with a grain of salt, but that is just glaringly inefficient play. I have a feeling he's just hit the age wall on his career.

td4mvp2k 02-13-13 12:11 AM

I thought they should of traded him in the preseason and you all didnt want that... So hows he doing?

Mombear 02-13-13 12:39 AM

Well maybe Tim wanted to keep him. :shrug

Uwe Blab 02-13-13 01:01 AM

Well, I've been saying this since the end of the playoffs last season. His value on the team is extremely overrated. I would not want him over Manu, because Manu, when he's on, brings more to the table. I'm at a loss as to why people have these rose-colored glasses on when it comes to Jackson. I think they've got this hope that he's going to win a critical game for the Spurs down the stretch, but that happened 10 years ago, last I checked.

Rzarector7 02-13-13 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uwe Blab (Post 1292188)
Well, I've been saying this since the end of the playoffs last season. His value on the team is extremely overrated. I would not want him over Manu, because Manu, when he's on, brings more to the table. I'm at a loss as to why people have these rose-colored glasses on when it comes to Jackson. I think they've got this hope that he's going to win a critical game for the Spurs down the stretch, but that happened 10 years ago, last I checked.

I agree and last I checked you still think Bonner will turn it around though in the playoffs and win us a game and that happened neveruary 2080 or so. I agree with what you said but dude showed up huge in a few playoff games last year while the guy you support never seems to show up at all in the playoffs yet you defend him.

Uwe Blab 02-13-13 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rzarector7 (Post 1292190)
I agree and last I checked you still think Bonner will turn it around though in the playoffs and win us a game and that happened neveruary 2080 or so. I agree with what you said but dude showed up huge in a few playoff games last year while the guy you support never seems to show up at all in the playoffs yet you defend him.

Actually, what I defend is his role on the team. No matter what, people blame Bonner for the shortcomings in the playoffs when it's way more than that. I don't support witch hunts or ganging up on a supposed scapegoat. He's simply not as horrible as people make it seem. However, I don't really care if he's traded as long as it brings in a positive. Now granted, sometimes I play up my support of the guy just for giggles, and I do think he'll do well in the 3pt shootout despite some "expert" opinions.

Rzarector7 02-13-13 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uwe Blab (Post 1292191)
Actually, what I defend is his role on the team. No matter what, people blame Bonner for the shortcomings in the playoffs when it's way more than that. I don't support witch hunts or ganging up on a supposed scapegoat. He's simply not as horrible as people make it seem. However, I don't really care if he's traded as long as it brings in a positive. Now granted, sometimes I play up my support of the guy just for giggles, and I do think he'll do well in the 3pt shootout despite some "expert" opinions.

Look I can see where you are coming from but to me he is a guy who does not help us when it matters, which is why I am not a huge fan of him! Yes it is not his fault we lose a series but he could help more being he is such a high % shooter in the season! Why can't he keep near that number up? The playoffs are way more than Bonner yes, but if we had a guy who got his mins and did something would that not help in the playoffs?

I wish him and Blair would both be magically traded for some hero playoff performer, but I know I am dreaming at this point. I hope he does well in the shootout as well! GET EM! I hope he shoots threes with us in the playoffs as well and makes them at higher than 32%! I would wish him all the best. I wish someone would step up though in place of that so we would not have to rely on that from him! AGREED! He is not the curse but he is obvioulsy not the ANSWER to a run!

tuncaboylu 02-13-13 03:34 AM

We all know that NBA's regular season is BS(Especially for last 5-6 years). It's really meaningless, no need to argue about that. All the thing will be decided when PO time comes.

And when PO comes, we need the guys who can step forward. We made mistake about this in past. We thought that Bonner would shoot 3 in PO like he did in regular season. We thoguht that Blair's size woouldn't be problem in PO since it didn't be in regular season. And we were wrong. When PO came, they became liability.

That's why S-Jax regular season stats doesn't bother me. When PO comes, I want S-Jax to shoot 3 instead of Bonner. POs are the place which player characters and defenses shows up. And S-Jax have both.

TimmyDthaWay2B 02-13-13 06:15 AM

Kind of remember horry being the same way...until playoff time... who is pretty much the only guy thay coud hit a three against the thunder? Jackson. He is in a slump...we will need his toughness come playoff time.

Spurd_On 02-13-13 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b1gdon (Post 1292183)
I love Stephen Jackson, but let's be honest, he's turned into a liability on offense this season. He's only hit 1 3pt shot in the last seven games going 1-14 during that stretch and over the course of the year he's not been much better shooting 25% for the season.

He has a broken finger on his shooting hand.

esparzar1 02-13-13 07:59 AM

He's not done, he hasn't begun to play yet :wink wait until April/May and he will become Robert Horry 2.0....he lives for big moments! Book it!

In the mean time, Kawhi is picking up the slack :thumb

esparzar1 02-13-13 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyDthaWay2B (Post 1292195)
Kind of remember horry being the same way...until playoff time... who is pretty much the only guy thay coud hit a three against the thunder? Jackson. He is in a slump...we will need his toughness come playoff time.

My thoughts exactly!

JuanCaca 02-13-13 08:38 AM

a healty manu is so valuable for shure...

old timer 02-13-13 09:13 AM

Think about this. Timmy's personality and influence we see easily in Leonard, but perhaps some of Jax toughness and tenacity are also there. In his own strange way, Jack may be a major locker room factor, even. A very positive one, at that.

In a short answer, no, he goes nowhere before season's end. Wonder what the heat game would have been like with just Leonard added to the mix. Remember, the Spurs were actually missing FOUR starters and two of their first three subs that game. Take six of any other team's top eight away and .....

Jack's value to this team, much like so many of the others' goes far beyond tangible. Can't see changes that unbalance things between now and playoffs. More likely an expanded role for Baynes and Nando post all star break. Just an old farts $.02.

spurscrazed 02-13-13 09:43 AM

I wouldn't worry that Cap'n Jack is slowed by his broken finger, it is what it is. That finger will still bother him, but we can live with it now.

Cap'n Jack is going no where. He brings MUCH needed TOUGHNESS to Spurs even with his broken finger.

What Cap'n Jack brings is something intangible on the defensive end. Occasionally he brings it on the offensive end, but his value on the D end sure compensate for some weak offense from his broken finger.

In the PO you can guarantee that Cap'n Jack will not be FADED!! He will BRING IT! That is his value. He is PROVEN last year and in the past PO.

b1gdon 02-13-13 09:59 AM

Well I really hope that Jackson steps up his game when they count more, but I just have a real bad feeling that he's hit the age wall (see Bowen, Bruce circa 08-09). All the heart in the world won't make up for the fact that you just can't bring it anymore. If it is his finger that is killing his shooting percentage then there is hope. He played well for us last season and in the playoffs.

WILLTHETHRILL 02-13-13 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rzarector7 (Post 1292192)
Look I can see where you are coming from but to me he is a guy who does not help us when it matters, which is why I am not a huge fan of him! Yes it is not his fault we lose a series but he could help more being he is such a high % shooter in the season! Why can't he keep near that number up? The playoffs are way more than Bonner yes, but if we had a guy who got his mins and did something would that not help in the playoffs?

I wish him and Blair would both be magically traded for some hero playoff performer, but I know I am dreaming at this point. I hope he does well in the shootout as well! GET EM! I hope he shoots threes with us in the playoffs as well and makes them at higher than 32%! I would wish him all the best. I wish someone would step up though in place of that so we would not have to rely on that from him! AGREED! He is not the curse but he is obvioulsy not the ANSWER to a run!

Look all you have to tell the weird Bonner lovers is to look at the stats in the playoffs. Bonner sucks. He sucked when the Big 3 played good in the playoffs. It doesn't matter. SJax has good playoff stats. He had a rough Clipper series but that was the only negative last year in the playoffs. Bonner's thing is a every year playoff problem. Pop played him 2 minutes and 0 minutes the last two playoff games. What does that say? SJax played significant minutes. People seem to tie Bonner's success on how the big 3 play in the playoffs. The guy can't be counted on either way. Bonner's ring in 2007 was as a bench warmer. SJax's ring was as a starter. Bonner has no skins in the wall in the playoffs. Move SJax, I don't care. If the deal makes sense do it but Bonner and Blair are ahead in my book to be traded. Bonner is first of course. Again look at the stats people! Bonner blows in the playoffs!

clovisnmspurfan 02-13-13 02:13 PM

Bonner and Blair in years past were 1st to second players off the bench. Since recent pickups, Diow, Jackson they are now relegated to the end of the bench. Their worth is no less now than in years past. Since you'all like statistics, show me one end of bench player on any team that excells come play off time.

SilverSpur 02-13-13 05:00 PM

I must say after reading all the back and forth that I agree. Jax aint goin' anywhere. He's playin' Robert Horry style.

Jose_TheGenius 02-13-13 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by td4mvp2k (Post 1292184)
I thought they should of traded him in the preseason and you all didnt want that... So hows he doing?

he stunk in the regular season last year and was shooting 60% from the 3 for us in the playoffs. Jackson's a Robert Horry type who turns it up in the postseason. Jax is probably more clutch than 2 of the Big 3 (take ur pick on that). if he can turn it up in the playoffs, he'd be a steal for his last year and giving us cap space. if he sucks, we can just let him go. we have enough depth to cover for him if he stinks anyway.

td4mvp2k 02-13-13 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius (Post 1292270)
he stunk in the regular season last year and was shooting 60% from the 3 for us in the playoffs. Jackson's a Robert Horry type who turns it up in the postseason. Jax is probably more clutch than 2 of the Big 3 (take ur pick on that). if he can turn it up in the playoffs, he'd be a steal for his last year and giving us cap space. if he sucks, we can just let him go. we have enough depth to cover for him if he stinks anyway.

Ya but he stunk it up with the Bucks and some with the Spurs last season before the POs and he has had all season to get out of it for the Spurs this yr. Ya if he stinks come POs Spurs should look at other FAs. He could be a Horry but no he aint no big 3 even in the clutch.

TodTango 02-13-13 09:47 PM

I don't know...perhaps the broken finger poses an issue to SJax's shot. So he should be commended for his effort on the other part's of his game? It's not like the Spurs are losing games because of him. Far from it...

Plus let's add the personal issues that is going on in his family. In some respects, the fact that he's giving the team any positives is fairly amazing.

WILLTHETHRILL 02-14-13 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by td4mvp2k (Post 1292276)
Ya but he stunk it up with the Bucks and some with the Spurs last season before the POs and he has had all season to get out of it for the Spurs this yr. Ya if he stinks come POs Spurs should look at other FAs. He could be a Horry but no he aint no big 3 even in the clutch.

How did he stink it up with the Bucks? Because they benched him because the coach hated him? He blasted the Spurs in a Bucks uniform for like 32 points last year! The guy was clutch in the playoffs except the Clipper series. You just don't like him period.

td4mvp2k 02-14-13 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL (Post 1292315)
How did he stink it up with the Bucks? Because they benched him because the coach hated him? He blasted the Spurs in a Bucks uniform for like 32 points last year! The guy was clutch in the playoffs except the Clipper series. You just don't like him period.

How did he stink it up with the Bucks? Ha. You can say that cuz he was benched but You dont know that his % is as bad as last season? Oh and I dont look at 1 game to what he did in a season like you... Ya his clutch didnt get the team to the finals did it? Ya I dont like him cuz his % sux!

spurscrazed 02-14-13 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSpur (Post 1292262)
I must say after reading all the back and forth that I agree. Jax aint goin' anywhere. He's playin' Robert Horry style.

Yep!
That is EXACTLY it!
Right on SilverSpur!!:thumb

Don't know why people would hate on this ALL HEART and Clutch and TEAM player Cap'n Jack.

What matters most is that Pop & Timmy Duncan like him and that is fine in my books.

exit7 02-14-13 02:58 PM

He ranks 155th in Player Efficiency Rating in the Western Conference... Dead last among the Spurs.

I'm not sure how much this should be paid attention to, but if I had a choice between playing Sjax or just giving Kawhi more minutes I think its an easy choice.

Now if we could somehow combine Stephen Jackson's intensity and aggresiveness with Kawhi's talent we would have a scary small forward.

JuanCaca 02-14-13 04:40 PM

is not like hey give more minutes to kawhi...injuries, foul trouble,knee tendinitis, happens and you need to at least had 1 natural sf other than your starter..

KAD 02-14-13 05:12 PM

I would not trade neither Manu nor Jax!

Jose_TheGenius 02-14-13 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSpur (Post 1292262)

+ 1 trillion

doesn't matter if he stinks in the regular season as long as he chips in the playoffs. no one here (except MB :lol) would say Horry should've been traded in the regular season when he was our most clutch in the playoffs.

we're in it to win it in the playoffs!

WILLTHETHRILL 02-15-13 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by td4mvp2k (Post 1292320)
How did he stink it up with the Bucks? Ha. You can say that cuz he was benched but You dont know that his % is as bad as last season? Oh and I dont look at 1 game to what he did in a season like you... Ya his clutch didnt get the team to the finals did it? Ya I dont like him cuz his % sux!

I looked at the whole year last year. So it's up to one bench player to get to the Finals?? He played very well the last playoff game. What was his shooting % than? What was Bonner's?

Jose_TheGenius 02-15-13 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL (Post 1292393)
I looked at the whole year last year. So it's up to one bench player to get to the Finals?? He played very well the last playoff game. What was his shooting % than? What was Bonner's?

61% from 3 point land in the playoffs

let's trade him for someone who does well in the regular season and sucks in the playoffs i guess!

td4mvp2k 02-15-13 05:39 PM

Quote:

Ya and what was his $ for a "bench player"? Ha. And when you get that what he did or didnt do in the POs didnt get the team to the finals let me know... :rolleyes

WILLTHETHRILL 02-15-13 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by td4mvp2k (Post 1292397)
Ya and what was his $ for a "bench player"? Ha. And when you get that what he did or didnt do in the POs didnt get the team to the finals let me know... :rolleyes

The Spurs didn't give him that contract nimrod! You want RJ back? SJax is one reason the Spurs have a championship banner hanging in the rafters! So now you know!:smirk

Rzarector7 02-15-13 06:00 PM

Quote:

Please do not Bring Bonner up in this convo and playoffs.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius (Post 1292396)

let's trade him for someone who does well in the regular season and sucks in the playoffs i guess!

Basically what I came in to say.

WILLTHETHRILL 02-15-13 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius (Post 1292396)

They already have one named Matt Bonner lol. Thanks for posting the truth..........:applause

Rzarector7 02-15-13 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL (Post 1292400)
They already have one named Matt Bonner lol. Thanks for posting the truth..........:applause

:applause:applause

td4mvp2k 02-15-13 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL (Post 1292398)
The Spurs didn't give him that contract nimrod! You want RJ back? SJax is one reason the Spurs have a championship banner hanging in the rafters! So now you know!

Ya "now" I know you dont know what any about nothin and for you to think Jax is the same player from that banner says how much your the "nimrod"... :lol Nuff Said!

gwilly101 02-18-13 10:02 PM

One word.. Playoffs. Remember last year in the must win in OKC when Jackson is the only Spur who played like he had a set. His value is measured solely in postseason play.... end of story. makes love to pressure

Spurd_On 02-18-13 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwilly101 (Post 1292517)
One word.. Playoffs. Remember last year in the must win in OKC when Jackson is the only Spur who played like he had a set. His value is measured solely in postseason play.... end of story. makes love to pressure

Nice Post. I can't wait until Thursday evening when all this trade BS is over even if there are changes because right now, its obvious that no one here has a clue of what's going on, if anything. Its not that I mind if the Spurs make trades, they'll do whatever works for them, but those involved in outside speculation are just pissin' in the wind and I'd rather stand aside.

MichaelWi101 02-19-13 10:01 AM

Something is up with SJax because he didn't make the flight to Sacto, so that makes 3 games he's missed because of personal reasons, and when you consider the amount of time he had off for the all star game, whatever is going down seems serious, sure hope everything is ok with him.

Spurd_On 02-19-13 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 (Post 1292529)
Something is up with SJax because he didn't make the flight to Sacto, so that makes 3 games he's missed because of personal reasons, and when you consider the amount of time he had off for the all star game, whatever is going down seems serious, sure hope everything is ok with him.

Good heads up. Almost forgot that. I think his family hails from Port Arthur, TX.

spurscrazed 02-19-13 10:24 AM

All my prayers are with Can'n Jack.

Family is always #1 Buddy!

Hope all is well with him and his family.

Uwe Blab 02-19-13 11:18 AM

It's probably a ploy to get sympathy so the Spurs don't trade him.

MichaelWi101 02-19-13 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uwe Blab (Post 1292537)

That's just wrong :slap funny facepalm but wrong:slap

blaze24k 02-20-13 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uwe Blab (Post 1292537)

I don't want to say too much out of respect to Jax and his family But from what I heard through a Spurs source is that Jax had a death in his immediate family.

spurscrazed 02-20-13 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaze24k (Post 1292577)
I don't want to say too much out of respect to Jax and his family But from what I heard through a Spurs source is that Jax had a death in his immediate family.

WOW.. No offense but I sincerely hope your source is wrong!

If this is true, I am really worried about Jack being able to recover soon and come back...

I was thinking during the game last night how we had to play Leonard more minutes now... I don't like that as Leonard might get over played....

Let's all hope Jack will recover from that family thing and be back soon!!!

alh1020 02-20-13 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spurscrazed (Post 1292580)
....Let's all hope Jack will recover from that family thing and be back soon!!!

Amen, brother.

b1gdon 02-20-13 02:17 PM

Quote:

If this is true, I am really worried about Jack being able to recover soon and come back...

I was thinking during the game last night how we had to play Leonard more minutes now... I don't like that as Leonard might get over played....

Wow, that was a little callous. You may not have meant to be, but it kind of comes off...hope no one died in your family because I want to see you play basketball.

Just sayin.

blaze24k 02-20-13 02:26 PM

Quote:

No offense taken. I would love for the source to be wrong, but he's pretty legit.

Uwe Blab 02-20-13 02:35 PM

If that is the case, then I truly am ashamed of what I said. My sister died way too young and it does take a long time to get functioning. I figured it was something rap album related. Normally, the media gets wind of family deaths and reports so it didn't even cross my mind.