News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-13, 11:32 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Yahoo Claims Spurs interested in Josh Smith

Marc j. Spears from Yahoo says the Spurs are one of a hand full of teams interested in Josh Smith.
Would you like it? Could he be resigned even if it were close to max?

Spears On Spurs, Smith, Maynor, Knicks, Grizzlies: Hoops Rumors
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-12-13, 11:45 AM
SpursReport 2010 And 2014 Pick The Winner Champion

I wouldn´t go anywhere near him for max dollars.
Don´t get me wrong, I think he is one fine player and could be a heck of an addition, but never for that price. I´d rather have Kawhi developing in the spot for way less dollars.
Old 02-12-13, 12:19 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

depends...

what would be given up for him....would he agree to sign an extension?

Do i thin the Spurs would have interest? Yes...buts thats only normal...

I like Spears thats the only reason I dont say BS on this story...
Brooklyn's #1 Spurs fan!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-12-13, 12:35 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

My guess is that Danny Ferry recognizes that Smith is a "gone goose" (make that "hawk") and that Atlanta probably needs to blow it up.

If that's accurate, then I could see him taking Spur scraps like Bonner, Blair and Neal/DeColo/Patty (pick one) along with a pick or two. The picks would be the value.

I don't think the Spurs give up much more than that because Smith is the only person that seems to think he's a max player. He'd be a rental for this year's playoff push, looking for top dollar elsewhere this summer.
Old 02-12-13, 01:02 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Josh Smith wants max money. He already stated that. There is no close to max. He wants max!
Old 02-12-13, 01:15 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I would rather have Josh Smith than Jefferson

But neither at max money
Old 02-12-13, 01:31 PM
The Master Baiter

Yeah, it would be a rental. You'd have to give up Jackson and some filler to get him. Maybe worth it, but there's no guarantees of a championship.
Old 02-12-13, 01:34 PM
SpursReport Team Member

BS!!!
Old 02-12-13, 01:38 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
I would rather have Josh Smith than Jefferson

But neither at max money
I don't think Big Al has stated that he wanted max money but Smith did.
Old 02-12-13, 02:47 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

With the new CBA teams are going to be much more careful in handing out max deals or even close-to-max deals. IMHO the only player guaranteed to get a max deal this year is Dwight Howard. Also, there would be value in trading for a Josh Smith even if he is a one year rental. It is likely he will push the other team to do a sign-and-trade in order to guarantee the 5th year. If nothing else the Spurs could end up with a draft pick and a trade exception.
Old 02-12-13, 04:13 PM
SR Team Goof

I, too, don’t think Smith is worth max because he is inconsistent. Yes, he puts up nice numbers (occasionally) but he has a lot of low games like ‘where did he go’ type. I liked him at one time, but once I heard ‘max’ in conjunction with salary, I’ve backed off. There’s been a comparison between him and Jefferson and I’d take Jefferson first, only because Jefferson hasn’t proclaimed to want ‘max’ salary. I think if Jefferson were sided with his idol TD and got to know and play with him, TD might be able to act as buffer between player and management to come to an agreeable middle, for the sake of the team, when salary is negotiated. I may be dreaming but what the hell.
Old 02-12-13, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guille View Post
I wouldn´t go anywhere near him for max dollars.
Don´t get me wrong, I think he is one fine player and could be a heck of an addition, but never for that price. I´d rather have Kawhi developing in the spot for way less dollars.
Smith is a power forward who can play the SF position, Kawhi is no where near developing for the 4 spot. the guy is erratic and not worth max money (the truth is he's not going to get that anyway and he probably knows it), but he's had to be erratic in a system like Atlanta's. when Joe Johnson was there, the offense was slow and one dimensional as far as 1 on 1 ball. right now, he has to be the main focus along with Al Horford and Horford isn't a perimeter guy so Smith has to try to contribute all around.

it would be interesting with this team though. you could easily have a Parker/Smith pick and roll combo that could rival what the Suns had with Nash/Amare and this would save Duncan a lot more legs on the offense end for defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
Yeah, it would be a rental. You'd have to give up Jackson and some filler to get him. Maybe worth it, but there's no guarantees of a championship.
Jackson would be the filler, Splitter would be the main piece in that deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by td4mvp2k View Post
BS!!!
you'd take Yahoo Sports more serious, as far as rumors go, than any other outlet or reporters from ESPN.

the guys ESPN usually steal information from and get away with the BS of just saying "sources" are from Yahoo Sports
Old 02-12-13, 04:42 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post

Jackson would be the filler, Splitter would be the main piece in that deal
I meant salary wise, but you're right, there would have to be an attractive trade piece. Although they may let him walk next year anyway if they are cleaning house.
Old 02-12-13, 04:54 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
you'd take Yahoo Sports more serious, as far as rumors go, than any other outlet or reporters from ESPN.

the guys ESPN usually steal information from and get away with the BS of just saying "sources" are from Yahoo Sports
Dont say much who reported it cuz its still BS!