News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-13, 01:08 PM
There is only 1 Ginobili!

It's a discussion peeps.

I laid out arguments as to why he would be a bad fit. If you felt he was a good fit, there has to be more to it than Jefferson has better stats. He has better stats because unlike Tiago, he doesn't have 3 Hall of Famers playing with him.

In terms of roles and gameplay strategy, the only one he would suit the Spurs better in is his low post play. But that would mean that the Spurs have stopped doing what are working on and chucked it all because they feel that the low post is the way to go. That doesn't sound like the Spurs team we know. They are who they are and they haven't deviated from that at all, even when they brought in players mid-season.

So...other than the fact that Al Jeff has better numbers because he doesn't have to play with 3 stars like Tiago, what else is there?

That's what I'm trying to pull from you guys. If you have something, let's see it. It's a fun discussion, this board used to have many of them. I'm doing my part to keep one alive. There has to be more that just better stats.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-16-13, 09:04 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I think jefferson will help us a lot more than tiago on the playoffs. That being said, i dont think tiago is useless, he is a master on the pick and roll, but i preffer to have another back to the basket scorer. Besides jefferson will benefit a lot playing with TD, i think he will help his defense a lot. Besides Jefferson is a better rebounder, and that will help us also.
If we can get him i think we should, with any combination of tiago, blair, bonner, de colo and capt. jack ( not all of coursE). I will not give up gary neal. I know he is one dimensional, but he is not afraid of shooting and we need a guy like that on the playoffs. Thats why bonner cant hit a 3 come playofftime, he is just scared to death.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-11-13, 10:31 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

It has to be said that vs the Thunder who are our biggest issue Tiago showed value tonight, 21 pts on 9-11 shooting and 10 boards, definately worth what he is getting.
Old 03-11-13, 10:44 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kager View Post
It has to be said that vs the Thunder who are our biggest issue Tiago showed value tonight, 21 pts on 9-11 shooting and 10 boards, definately worth what he is getting.
I was thinking the same. He matches well against OKC and gives them fits. He appears to be an asset against a likely nemesis for years to come.
Old 03-12-13, 12:03 AM
Moderator & Chatroom Greeter

Things that make Tiago a great fit for the SPurs (not a saviour nor MVP candidate):
-he sets really quick screen: a must if u have to play alongside Tony aka Flash ahaaa
-he is a very smart player off the ball on D and on O
-he is finishing better under the basket and passing better under de basket
-he is hititng a better % at the ft line considering he is being fouled a lot
-relieves presure from TD in the O end and helps disrupting on D (he might not be a great defender; plays more like Oberto did for us)
-has great hands and can grab pretty much anything u throw at him
-cant bounce-pass well enough=TO
-can pass to the 3pt shooter pretty decently
Our big risks in the post season: they r gonna guard our pick n' roll and cause us a lot of turnovers. If he is able to adjust to that reality, I expect a 2007-Oberto type of impact. Couldn't ask for more.
[email protected]
Old 03-12-13, 12:43 AM
SpursReport Team Member

@ this thread
Old 03-12-13, 07:36 AM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHENEA View Post
Things that make Tiago a great fit for the SPurs (not a saviour nor MVP candidate):
-he sets really quick screen: a must if u have to play alongside Tony aka Flash ahaaa
-he is a very smart player off the ball on D and on O
-he is finishing better under the basket and passing better under de basket
-he is hititng a better % at the ft line considering he is being fouled a lot
-relieves presure from TD in the O end and helps disrupting on D (he might not be a great defender; plays more like Oberto did for us)
-has great hands and can grab pretty much anything u throw at him
-cant bounce-pass well enough=TO
-can pass to the 3pt shooter pretty decently
Our big risks in the post season: they r gonna guard our pick n' roll and cause us a lot of turnovers. If he is able to adjust to that reality, I expect a 2007-Oberto type of impact. Couldn't ask for more.

Tiago is worlds better than Oberto ever was. Oberto knew his role in the system and perfected it but Tiago actually has a post-up game and plays better defense. I expect a world of difference come playoff time
Old 03-12-13, 08:45 AM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Greatly encouraged by last night...BUT --- it was still a regular season game, if Tiago plays at that same level throughout the playoffs, the Spurs will have found a keeper worth his next contract...and some on this board will be able to say 'told you so':drummer
Old 03-12-13, 09:18 AM
Moderator & Chatroom Greeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esparzar1 View Post
Tiago is worlds better than Oberto ever was. Oberto knew his role in the system and perfected it but Tiago actually has a post-up game and plays better defense. I expect a world of difference come playoff time
I agree to a point. Truth be told Oberto was more experienced in decisive games and as far as impact alone, he had a big one in the last games of that 2007 Play Offs...
My only concern is if Tiago underperforms...Has happened before with other players.
[email protected]
Old 03-12-13, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHENEA View Post
I agree to a point. Truth be told Oberto was more experienced in decisive games and as far as impact alone, he had a big one in the last games of that 2007 Play Offs...
My only concern is if Tiago underperforms...Has happened before with other players.
*cue Lynn walking in the front door like Kramer*
Old 03-12-13, 11:28 AM

We don't need 21 and 10 from him all the time. I did like his position defense and his effort. National Media keep talking about the backdoor sweep yet they never talk about how Harden is gone and the large improvement defensively for this Spurs team.

It's as if they think they can shape the playoffs to somehow omit the Spurs. **** that.
Splitter's stats aren't Al Jefferson like, and they don't need to be. He just needs to do what he did last night, in terms of effort. While 21 & 10 are nice, I expect it to be more like 17 & 7 on 50% shooting with some trips to the FT Line.

If OKC wants to play Small, let Tiago punish Durant in the post, just like he did with the lefty hook.

Old 03-12-13, 11:45 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodTango View Post
If OKC wants to play Small, let Tiago punish Durant in the post, just like he did with the lefty hook.
That was great! Pop
Old 03-12-13, 12:08 PM
The Master Baiter

OKC will make adjustments during a series for his offense. He won't average close to 21 points. And he won't need to hopefully. If he can play a role not unlike Ibaka (with obvious differences), we'll be better off. But his defense is what I liked. Just in that aspect he's already better than Oberto.
Old 03-12-13, 01:08 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Trying to imagine what it will take to re-up Tiago over the summer. I imagine the Spurs might offer something like 3 years for $18-20 mil. I wonder if that gets it done.

As far as I know, Spurs hold Tiago's Bird right, so a longer time frame might make a difference. I fear that someone is gonna throw crazy money at him.

Last edited by mckennaspur1; 03-12-13 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-12-13, 01:11 PM
Herman Cain of the board

I hope Tiago does better in the playoffs this year. He sucked last year in the WCFs!
Old 03-12-13, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
I hope Tiago does better in the playoffs this year. He sucked last year in the WCFs!
Tiago's numbers from last night's game against OKC was BETTER than his ENTIRE SERIES against then in the WCF.

Why the NBA and it's channel partners keep talking about the Backdoor Sweep OKC did LAST PLAYOFFS is beyond me. The Little 3(Tiago, Kawhi, and Danny) are playing so much better than last season and OKC no longer has HARDEN.

It would appear that the Durant stopper isn't just Kawhi Leonard, it's Russell Westbrook because he doesn't pass the ball for stretches of the game.

Old 03-12-13, 07:07 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

For me a good guide is what I mentioned earlier where Asik got $25 mill over 3 years, fact is you can't teach height and if that 7 footer is showing the defense you want along with the offensive requirements as part of the system he will get paid here or somewhere else.
Old 03-12-13, 09:38 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Can we revisit our offer